Re: Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerTrained View Post
14000rpm,
unlike Germans, racism is absent.
I disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
I know we have a few master chefs in house too. Just how do you guys crack the code?
Anyway, one thing this whole survival exercise has done to me - I now browse recipes on Youtube more than automotive related videos.
What a changeover. I used to spend the evenings reading Automotive or Photography blogs/Forums and now, I look up quick fix recipes online.
As you rightly found out, we so called "Master" Chefs rely on youtubes, some blogs about cooking like

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/ (this one I would recommend for veggie cusine, because she uses products found in US, which is somewhat same as what we find in Europe too!)

http://indianingredients.blogspot.de/ This one will give you ingredients names in all Indian languages and english too! There are some recipes,try them at your own risk.

But once you get used to it, it just becomes a part of your daily routine. Now here is where we would seriously miss our moms and better halfs(though I am yet to experience the better half portion of life, i can understand your feelings!) After tasting our own poison, we tend to believe that our moms/better halves are the best cooks in the world. Home sweet home!
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 00:40   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I know we have a few master chefs in house too. Just how do you guys crack the code?

Anyway, one thing this whole survival exercise has done to me - I now browse recipes on Youtube more than automotive related videos.
What a changeover. I used to spend the evenings reading Automotive or Photography blogs/Forums and now, I look up quick fix recipes online.
No master chef here - but I was in the exact same situation back in 2007 when I first traveled to US. I could barely flip an omelette !
3 things taught me cooking - following someone else while they cook, try the same at home and have a critic (in my case - a roommate who gave very unbiased opinions!). It helped that we had many people from the same region in the same apartment complex.
Now a days I do not cook at all - survive on soups / steamed veg/ salads / yogurt etc. Just don't feel like cooking for only myself - I guess that's a pretty big thing too - cooking for a group whom you can share food with is always a motivator.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 16:11   #48
Senior - BHPian

Replot bridge

One lazy afternoon, a friend and I were driving around town and talking about probably driving out of town on a short drive..Pop came the response - Replot Bridge ! err, what the hell is that?

Replot Bridge is around 25 kms away from Vaasa and is the Longest bridge in Finland. At 1045m, it may not break records globally but then, for Finland, it is the longest. It joins the archipelago to the mainland, replacing the ferries used previously, serving 2.200 island residents daily and making it easy for tourists to visit the outlying islands.

Drive we did in the Xantia...

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc_4548.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc_4549.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc_4569.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc_4670.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-img_2163.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-img_2167.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-img_2185.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-img_2186.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-img_2192.jpg

We then hung around at Berny's cafe for a bit and drove back home.

Berny's cafe is more like Maddur CCD. Everybody go to Maddur to have the same coffee they can get within 2-4 kms of wherever in Bangalore they stay. But no..Maddur it is.

Just the same way, there are people who go to this place over the weekends in Cars, Bicycles, Motorbikes, Fishing boats, yatches, Kayak..etc.
14000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 07:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

re: Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd

while the intial settling in was all done and I was set to lead my life in new land, I started to notice that a lot of Finns use bicycles. There are dedicated cycle paths all over the town and a lot of them use the same for running as well. That points me to the fact that the Finns are fitness freaks. They have awesome stamina which is noteworthy from the top class performance by Finns in all forms of sports.
the US has abundance of Obese people and my large frame was not that much out of place in US. but in Finland, I certainly look like the odd one. That reminds me to get back to my fitness regime. Burning calories suddenly became top priority.

that's when I decided to go buy myself a used bicycle...

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc_4578.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc_4584.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc_4585.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc_4613.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc_4614.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc_4616.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc_4618.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc_4619.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc_4620.jpg

Its a road bike with Rigid suspension. The frame is very light and that helps compensate my Gravity friendly body. It has 21 gears and is pretty useful with twist shift. the shifts are very precise and that's amazed me all the while. I'm enjoying riding around. well, as long as it is warm and sunny.
14000rpm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 11:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its a road bike with Rigid suspension. The frame is very light and that helps compensate my Gravity friendly body. It has 21 gears and is pretty useful with twist shift. the shifts are very precise and that's amazed me all the while. I'm enjoying riding around. well, as long as it is warm and sunny.
Not to forget the Shimano V-Brakes and the Shimano acera 21 speed paddle shift gearbox. (I have the same setup too! but on a different bike)

So, before you start your fitness regime, please buy some protective gear for ears and good gloves, headlights and tail lights(its mandatory! you could be fined for riding without one). With that you can ride even in winters.

Most important: Do not use mobile phone/headsets while riding, if caught you could be fined heavily! I believe your local friends told you all these before.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 20th September 2012 at 11:20.
AlphaKilo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 11:30   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hello 14000rpm,

Very nice pictures & narration. Rated 5 Stars. Thank you for bringing best of Finland to us.

Since how many months are you living there & most important are you feeling comfortable staying there? Given a choice how long would you like to continue staying there?

I recently had a onsite project offer in Finland, but things did not materialize then. But still, how is the place to live with family (I means my wife & daughter)? Any idea about schools & other facilities for kids?

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 14:14   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
As you rightly found out, we so called "Master" Chefs rely on Youtubes,

But once you get used to it, it just becomes a part of your daily routine. Now here is where we would seriously miss our moms and better halfs(though I am yet to experience the better half portion of life, i can understand your feelings!) After tasting our own poison, we tend to believe that our moms/better halves are the best cooks in the world. Home sweet home!
hahaha..my days of experiments are over. Wife is joining me. I don't have to have the constant fear of burning the kitchen down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
No master chef here - but I was in the exact same situation back in 2007 when I first traveled to US. I could barely flip an omelette !

Now a days I do not cook at all - survive on soups / steamed veg/ salads / yogurt etc. Just don't feel like cooking for only myself - I guess that's a pretty big thing too - cooking for a group whom you can share food with is always a motivator.
absolutely. Living alone does this. So, i'm not too different. I survived on soups / steamed veg/ salads / yogurt etc myself too.

Quote:
Not to forget the Shimano V-Brakes and the Shimano acera 21 speed paddle shift gearbox. (I have the same setup too! but on a different bike)
same setup on bikes, similar cars, mate, we really need to meet now.

Quote:
So, before you start your fitness regime, please buy some protective gear for ears and good gloves, headlights and tail lights(its mandatory! you could be fined for riding without one). With that you can ride even in winters.

Most important: Do not use mobile phone/headsets while riding, if caught you could be fined heavily! I believe your local friends told you all these before.
Cycling days are off till Apr '13. I have a set of good gloves and helmet but the rest I don't. Mobile phones/headsets no big deal. It's commonly used while cycling too. I'll be aware now. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Since how many months are you living there & most important are you feeling comfortable staying there? Given a choice how long would you like to continue staying there?

I recently had a onsite project offer in Finland, but things did not materialize then. But still, how is the place to live with family (I means my wife & daughter)? Any idea about schools & other facilities for kids?

Thanks,
If your assignment takes you to Helsinki/Espoo/Tampere/Turku area, living there is not a problem at all. There are enough things to keep them entertained..that is the most important part for your family members. Life in Finland is nice. The people are good.

Education is top notch in Finland. Education is free and so is health care.
But then, schooling starts at the age of 6. Untill then, it is pre-schooling.
You will have to bear this in mind.
14000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 14:23   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hahaha..my days of experiments are over. Wife is joining me. I don't have to have the constant fear of burning the kitchen down.
Lucky you sir! one disadvantage of being a bachelor and young!!
Well, need is the mother of inventions! I have learned to improvise. Isnt that hard and I am actually enjoying cooking these days.

Quote:
same setup on bikes, similar cars, mate, we really need to meet now.
we are not alone, this whole community is like that! Thats why we are here in the first place, isn't it? But then, sure, we can meet up!

Quote:
Cycling days are off till Apr '13. I have a set of good gloves and helmet but the rest I don't. Mobile phones/headsets no big deal. It's commonly used while cycling too. I'll be aware now. thanks.
April 13?? why? Has it got that cold there? I thought you will have some plus temperatures untill november.
So in that case, what about winter hibernation for your bike? Have you prepared it or going to use it untill the last minute of snow? check some forums online for proper winter hibernation of bikes. We get real good grease and lubricants that keep the metal from freezing and rusting. Also, while riding, stick to cycle lanes, any accidents other than outside cycle lane, you are solely responsible! Not frightening you, but rules are rules here!

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 20th September 2012 at 14:40.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 15:59   #54
BHPian

Quote:

and this..

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=02JSK...layer_embedded

...and I then went around looking for other generic cuisines. maybe someday I'll eat some good Finnish food at some friends house and change my notion.
Hey, I have been to the Oulu restaurant where they server those cow blood cakes. Was not aware of this preparation (dare I call it a delicacy) until I saw this video posted by you. Its good that I stuck to the regular delicacies. One thing I have to say is that eating outside is very costly in Finland.
deepaktpatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 16:23   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: ..and I buy a French car..the Citroen Xantia.

Quote:
I will change my car. I am told it is worth going to Stockholm to buy a car. very cheap apparently. Will be doing that shortly. Untill then, French Baguette it is.
Very interesting blog! Keep it up.

However going to Sweden to buy a car? What about transfer and tax issues?
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 02:33   #56
BHPian

It's a fantastic read. Keep it up. Cheers.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 21:28   #57
BHPian

A very nice and informative read. Never thought that a auto blog will help me discover another country and it's people. The various uses of this blog continue to amaze!!

Thanks and keep it flowing!!
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 21:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful thread! Rated 5 stars! Reminds me of my work trips to Europe! Also, the way you have talked about the differences in life style, the importance of work life balance, the dedication in taking vacations, humility, honesty etc. - highlights differences of the Finnish culture. I have very high regards for the finn's, they brave hostile weather and a lack of natural resources and yet are one of the most economically and more importantly socially developed countries in the world. A bunch of my friends spent a good amount of time at Vaasa, while I did work for a finnish client for more than a year yet never went there. My friends in Finland had a ball of a time there and am sure you would enjoy it too. They made a lot of friends there, localites, estonian students etc. and in the winter all they could do is party indoors, so exciting times ahead for you .
Enjoy the last bits of the summer and autumn while you can..
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 22:02   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
However going to Sweden to buy a car? What about transfer and tax issues?
Apparently it is not a big deal. Also, the taxes in Finland are very high and they rake up the used car prices as well. Incidentally the used car prices in Sweden are close to 1/3rd that in Finland and the even with the applicable taxes in Finland, it will still end up being cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Wonderful thread! Rated 5 stars! Reminds me of my work trips to Europe! Also, the way you have talked about the differences in life style, the importance of work life balance, the dedication in taking vacations, humility, honesty etc. - highlights differences of the Finnish culture. I have very high regards for the finn's, they brave hostile weather and a lack of natural resources and yet are one of the most economically and more importantly socially developed countries in the world.
Kiitos !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
A bunch of my friends spent a good amount of time at Vaasa, while I did work for a finnish client for more than a year yet never went there. ..
How small the world is. and I thought nobody would know the existence of Vaasa, Finland.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 21st September 2012 at 22:05.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 22:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kiitos !
How small the world is. and I thought nobody would know the existence of Vaasa, Finland.
All of them have left Vaasa. But I definitely know the name of the place and have seen a ton of pictures from there.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed