Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 16:31   #16
BHPian

re: Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd

Hi

Firstly, the post is coming out well and your conversations are quite interestingly quoted.

Reg, cleanliness, I tend to agree with one of the above posts. In India, the main problem is population, education and homelessness. What I see around most of the world is that the population is not as high as we have in India. There are not that many homeless people and people are more educated atleast in terms of civiv sense. They mite not be as educated as us Indians, but they would not spit or piss on the road like we do. That to me is disgusting. There are beggars on the roads as well but even they do not dirty the place like us.

On the other hand, you cant help the situation as homeless people do need a place to sleep and do need toilets for their daily chores, so its a catch 22 situation.

Apologies if I have changed the subject of this post!

Subs
subs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 16:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

[quote=rulerofsun;2899933]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
How do the Europeans manage to get such a neat and clean look in their countries?

Why is this not possible in India? :(

Many Reasons

1. Less population
2. No pan Patti
3. Self-Discipline (most important)

I find that most Europeans have a very strong sense of nationality and pride themselves with the relation that they have with their home land. They respect history and want the legacy to continue. Unfortunately for us we are more ruled by responsibilities of our micro lives.

I liked the attitude of the executive of the broad band service provider who works a set schedule and time. He has time for his life and society. How many of us have that luxury?
you are correct.
In India, every issue becomes someone else's problem.

Hey 14000RPM, northern parts of Finland also have the midnight sun? Right?
alpha1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 17:17   #18
BHPian

May be a bit OT, apologies. I will be in Helsinki for 2..3 weeks starting next week, any of our members in Helsinki?
Old 12th September 2012, 08:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
This brings back fond memories of my stay in Vantaa for one month a couple of years back. Beautiful place
it is Indeed beautiful.

Quote:
but i only dread the depressing winters.
I've been warned sufficiently. I came in here in Summer so a lot of the bad weather is yet to come.

Quote:
So how long do you intend to stay there? I hope you are fully settled there and in case you need contacts of Indian folks there do PM me. My project counterpart has been there for more than 2 years now.
I will be here in this area for 2-3 yrs. I live in Vaasa, Finland and not in Helsinki. There are quite some Indians here as well. Enough to have their own cricket team !

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Nice accounts - please keep it coming - IMO no country is as immigrant friendly as the US, after you pass through the immigration and can drive a car that is !
Thanks.
US is a country of Immigrants only. So, they tuned their system well. Here in Finland too, one can drive out a car quite immediately. Indian local DL is honored all over Finland for 2 yrs.

Quote:
How do the Europeans manage to get such a neat and clean look in their countries?
Why is this not possible in India? :(

You in Valdel by any chance?
Love of their land. Responsible behaviour.

No I am not in Valdel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Nicely written log about a new culture!! The 10th photo in the 5th post, they would have called that a extremely crowded road, right?

Waiting for more about Finnish lifestyle. I think the Nordics main hobby is fishing
Thanks. There is a lot to come up. I am trying to make it as detailed as possible. Yes Fishing is one of the activities the Scandinavians love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
O my god I can almost smell the fresh air you've been breathing ! Great pictures. Looking forward to reading your time spent in finland.
Fresh it sure is. With so few people that live here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
I liked the attitude of the executive of the broad band service provider who works a set schedule and time. He has time for his life and society. How many of us have that luxury?
exactly. That is the moral of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
Nice TL or should we call it a RL (Resident Log). Bring it on.
Thanks. This Log will be very interesting. I assure you !

Quote:
Hey 14000RPM, northern parts of Finland also have the midnight sun? Right?
Yes. Those months are over. When I came here in May, it was daylight 24/7. in Oct/Nov I will have 24/7 darkness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
May be a bit OT, apologies. I will be in Helsinki for 2..3 weeks starting next week, any of our members in Helsinki?
Not so sure.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 12th September 2012 at 08:58.
14000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 12:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

..and I buy a French car..the Citroen Xantia.

Accommodation - done
Communication - done.
Commute - ???

Hunting for a used car is a complex affair out here in Finland. in US, craigslist is the best place to look around for used cars but then in finland, online classifieds are not that popular but the used car dealers are. these guys, just like most used car dealers across the world, quote high for higher margins..greedy buggers. I really wanted a German car but the prices were all jacked up way high.
I so did not want to go that route. My colleague who was returning was selling off his car - a '98 Citroen Xantia. I thought about it for a short while and quickly agreed to buy it from him. It was quite cheap as well..worked out well coz now its all paid for..I don't have loans to pay back !

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc08259.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc08260.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc08261.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc08263.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc08264.jpg

Times of Finland : How I got Finnish'd-dsc08269.jpg

and that's how I bought myself a French car.
Must tell you, it has got its quirks. I will detail them out in further posts.

note : please ignore the date on the pix. these are pix my friend had taken a long time ago. I haven't bothered to click it. I haven't washed it even.
14000rpm is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 12:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: ..and I buy a French car..the Citroen Xantia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
a '98 Citroen Xantia.
Did you not look for volvo's/saab's. you could now get a Saab real cheap. But anyways, enjoy the french baguette.
Sir congrats. Nice Resident Log. I have been contemplating to put up one such thing (well since last 1.5 years, too lazy, I say ). I see that international travel isn't new to you, but Europe is. So, please be advised about the road rules(Euro specific-especially Fin/Sweden specifics) and especially while driving in snow.

Since Vaasa is more of a sunny town, hence I am inclined to believe you will not face much of snow. Even otherwise, these guys are well prepared, unlike the Germans. Keep it coming and if you are by any chance planning to visit Germany(Bavaria/Bayern), let me know, there are couple of BHPians here, we can plan a meet sometime.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 12th September 2012 at 12:48.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 12:54   #22
BHPian

@ 14000rpm :
Love the way you put your thoughts into writing. I’m hooked.
Please don’t keep us waiting
And the snaps are amazing, more please !

@ AlphaKilo :
Quote:
I have been contemplating to put up one such thing
Please do. I'd love to read your thread.
nimbleguru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 14:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Did you not look for volvo's/saab's. you could now get a Saab real cheap. But anyways, enjoy the french baguette..
I will change my car. I am told it is worth going to Stockholm to buy a car. very cheap apparently. Will be doing that shortly. Untill then, French Baguette it is.

Quote:
Sir congrats. Nice Resident Log. I have been contemplating to put up one such thing (well since last 1.5 years, too lazy, I say ). .
Thanks. Get your report out. it will be interesting.

Quote:
I see that international travel isn't new to you, but Europe is. So, please be advised about the road rules(Euro specific-especially Fin/Sweden specifics) and especially while driving in snow.

Since Vaasa is more of a sunny town, hence I am inclined to believe you will not face much of snow. Even otherwise, these guys are well prepared, unlike the Germans. Keep it coming and .
Well, its not the snow, its the icy roads in Autumn that worry me. Nevertheless, I will train myself for sideways driving when it comes to that.

Quote:
if you are by any chance planning to visit Germany(Bavaria/Bayern), let me know, there are couple of BHPians here, we can plan a meet sometime.
I was in Germany on week long business trip. I was in Munich, Hamburg and Frankfurt. Maybe we can plan this next time around. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbleguru View Post
@ 14000rpm :
Love the way you put your thoughts into writing. I’m hooked.
Please don’t keep us waiting
And the snaps are amazing, more please !
Thank you very much. I hope to post regularly. Its been 3 months since I'm here and there is already so much to write about and so little time.
14000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 14:22   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
IWell, its not the snow, its the icy roads in Autumn that worry me. Nevertheless, I will train myself for sideways driving when it comes to that.

I was in Germany on week long business trip. I was in Munich, Hamburg and Frankfurt. Maybe we can plan this next time around. Thanks for the heads up.

Interesting thread, The citroen is not a bad car, am impressed that it lasted on Finnish roads though.

Finnish drivers also go through a skid control class so I understand!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 14:48   #25
BHPian

14000rpm, liked your way of writing and it is really interesting to know some facts about an unknown land [atleast for me] through your life there. pics are amazing too.
BulZire is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 14:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the nice write up of your unusual experience in a foreign land. Enjoyed every bit of it.

Quote:
I so did not want to go that route. My colleague who was returning was selling off his car - a '98 Citroen Xantia. I thought about it for a short while and quickly agreed to buy it from him. It was quite cheap as well..worked out well coz now its all paid for..I don't have loans to pay back !
That was a wise choice for the moment. You dont want to spend too much money on a car right now since you may not be staying there for long. Explain the first quirk in that French car of yours; What's that thingy hanging at the back, like a extended tail lamp ?
esteem_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 15:06   #27
Team-BHP Support

Thank you for taking us to Finland with you.

A very interesting thread. Rated 5*.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 00:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbleguru View Post
@ AlphaKilo :
Please do. I'd love to read your thread.
Quote:
I will change my car. I am told it is worth going to Stockholm to buy a car. very cheap apparently. Will be doing that shortly. Untill then, French Baguette it is.

Thanks. Get your report out. it will be interesting.

Well, its not the snow, its the icy roads in Autumn that worry me. Nevertheless, I will train myself for sideways driving when it comes to that.

Maybe we can plan this next time around.

I hope to post regularly. Its been 3 months since I'm here and there is already so much to write about and so little time.
1. Nimbleguru and 14000RPM - thanks for your motivations. finally, my log is in the assembly line! I hope to roll out soon.

2. Great. This time, better goto Sweden to buy a car. Its far more cheaper there than in Finland.

3. Driving sideways - may be learn drifting or goto the Mika Haikki academy! Will be one time lifetime chance to sit beside that legend "Finn"

4. Meet-up: Sure, plan some trip sir(before Dec! I am going home for christmas!).

5. No time and lots to write - Tell me more sir! We are driving the same car, on the same icy road! (well, automotised version of "Sailing in the same boat" )

Thread gets 5 star rating. Please find time to update sir!
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 09:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

the Weather

It's Finland..how can one not talk about weather? everybody does..in fact the Americans consider Football (the american type) or baseball as good conversation starters..with Finns, it is always the weather.

The weather in Finland is variable and can change very quickly. When there are winds from the west, the weather is generally warm and clear in most part of Finland.

Finland's winters are long and cold. Especially in northern parts of Finland you can find snow on the ground for 90 - 120 days each year. The mildest weather in winter is found in southwestern Finland amongst the countless islands in the Baltic Sea. temperatures are mostly around -15 to -20 deg C. last year it went down to -30 deg C even.

The summer offers great weather in Finland. In the Finnish South and central Finland, summer weather is mild and warm, just like in other parts of southern Scandinavia. temperatures in Vaasa are anywhere between 18-28 deg C during the days.

Being close to the Arctic circle, Finland gets to see long days during summer and long nights during winters. Actually that is not completely true. For a period of time in the summer there is absolutely no darkness. 24X7 daylight.
In fact, initially I've suffered a lot due to this. I once woke up at 2 'o' clock totally unsure if I had overslept or underslept. When I realized it was 2.00 am indeed, I could not sleep after that. I even called this the bright side of the world !!..that also means i'll live the dark side in winter when there is barely going to be any daylight.

I picked this topic with a few Finns..:

me : this whole total daylight thingy is horrible..How do you guys manage?
finn : We use dark curtains on our windows and simulate darkness..seems like nobody told you that yet..We love the sun..we have it for a short period so we make the max of it.
me : aah..I see.
finn : Summer is one of the most important part of our life that the whole country goes off on vacations during this period of time
me : Work? is the plant shut down as well?
finn : no..not really. the vacations are timed such that progress is still there on ongoing production orders. the rest plan activity surrounding vacations so its alright
me : nice..and what do you do during the vacations? do you travel around holidaying like the americans?
finn : Depends..some choose to go off to beaches in southern Europe, some choose to stay at Summer cottages in various parts of Finland..some just work in their backyards
me : So a lot revolves around these vacations..
finn : I hope you get to do something nice during the vacation
me : I will not be on any vacations but I have a few fun things planned up.

so, there you go..that's how important summer is to the Finns.

Now, whoever I met have all unanimously told me that I've arrived during the best part of the weather..and in the same sentence have also told me to gear up for the harsh winter. There is a lot to see in terms of weather. But for now, it is autumn and its already getting pretty cold.
I've certainly made the most of the Finnish Summer.
14000rpm is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 10:29   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Super thread, 14000rpm! Rated 5*.

I have always had a fascination for Scandinavian countries- unfortunately despite having travelled to various parts of the world, haven't been there yet. We had a couple of Finns from some Helsinki university who had come as exchange students when I was in B-school. That's about all the direct interaction I've had, apart from faithfully supporting Kimi Raikonnen

I am surprised that Finland allows Indian DL for 2 years. Sweden is a lot stricter, I think.
noopster is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks