Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2012, 22:44   #1
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand

Patratu is a small town, 40 kms away from Ranchi and is known for the Jindal Thermal Power Station. Being born and brought up in Ranchi, I have heard from people since childhood that the place is beautiful but also dangerous as it is considered to be deeply affected by the Naxalite influence. As it is a sensitive place, it is totally virgin and apart from the locals one can hardly find any tourists. Infact I don't think Patratu has any standard hotels. Also at 40 kms from Ranchi, it is at best a day's trip from Ranchi. Recently the roads that lead to Patratu have been renovated and in its current state, it is one of the best stretch of tarmac one can find in Jharkhand. But its not advisable to venture into this road after dark.

Last week a friend took delivery of his Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX (Petrol) and as the weekend arrived it was decided that we will head to Patratu for half-a-day's trip in his new Verna. The route from Ranchi to Patratu runs via Kanke and Pithoria. The road from Ranchi to Kanke has some broken sections and some diversions as road construction in this stretch is being carried on currently. From Kanke to Pithoria, the road runs straight and has beautiful vistas. But occasionally an odd motorist may come down the wrong lane and there are possibilities of cows and goats wandering in the road so one needs to exercise some caution behind the wheel. Beyond Pithoria, the ghat roads to Patratu starts and its a pure bliss to be at the helm of a sporting sedan or any car for that matter. It is actually a biker's delight. The Pithoria-Patratu valley has lovely S-curves, swooping corners, a dozen hairpin bends and stunning views. The corners are wide and the road is fenced in most sections. The view of the Patratu Dam from the hills is simply breathtaking. Not surprisingly, in the last one week I have done this road thrice and each time it has been as enjoyable.

I will rather let the pics do the talking.

Our ride and the beautiful Patratu Dam in the background
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04696.jpg

The road is more like a race track
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04653.jpg

Beautiful roads
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04641.jpg
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04643.jpg
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04684.jpg
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04652.jpg

Patratu Dam
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04667.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04637.jpg  

//M is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 23:43   #2
BHPian

Re: The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand

Wonderful country roads! Wonderful photos!
I was infact surprised at the quality of roads in Bihar during my trip to Gaya couple of years back. I was doing the Nalanda-Rajgir circuit and the roads were absolutely fabulous.

Seems that infrastructure initiatives have finally taken off in this forgotten part of the country. Would love to visit Jharkhand some day.

If you don't mind, please provide more details about stay options in Ranchi and the ways to visit Patratu if not travelling in one's own vehicle. Also any other places that can be clubbed with Patratu for a quick weekend getaway.

Last edited by aryasanyal : 9th September 2012 at 23:44.
Old 9th September 2012, 23:47   #3
BHPian

I had never thought that such a place exists here in Jharkhand! Wonderful roads! Thanks for sharing & enlightening. There are several other places, which are left just without any attention and development. These places can be developed as tourist attractions and recreational spots. There are other dams like konar, hundru, maithan and garga which can be developed., But our politicians are busy in corruption and loot, so who is gonna look at it?

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 9th September 2012 at 23:50.
Old 10th September 2012, 00:05   #4
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The route from Ranchi to Patratu as shown in Google Map:
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-k-b.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
If you don't mind, please provide more details about stay options in Ranchi and the ways to visit Patratu if not travelling in one's own vehicle. Also any other places that can be clubbed with Patratu for a quick weekend getaway.
There are several stay options in Ranchi. Hotel Capitol Hill and Hotel Radisson Blu are bang into the heart of the capital. Other good options are BNR Chanakya, ATI International, Hotel Capitol Residency.

There are several places in and around Ranchi that you can visit. There are several waterfalls. Most notably Jonha Falls, Hundru Falls, Dasam Falls, Hirni Falls and Panchghag. Apart from this there are many dams, Rukka Dam, Getalsud Dam and Dhurwa Dam are all lovely places.
//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 00:29   #5
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more pics of the ghat roads and the Patratu Dam.
Attached Thumbnails
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04648.jpg  

The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04655.jpg  

The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04665.jpg  

The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04668.jpg  

The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04688.jpg  

The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04690.jpg  

The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04695.jpg  

The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04697.jpg  

The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04703.jpg  

The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04710.jpg  

//M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 00:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for bringing back the old memories, i have been there multiple times and the experience was amazing every single trip. Will try to dig up some old pics and post.

Done few trips on bike too with friends, going to patratu and coming back via ramgarh both valleys were great on bike, had my trusted CBZ back then.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 10th September 2012 at 00:42.
Old 10th September 2012, 00:40   #7
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I had never thought that such a place exists here in Jharkhand! Wonderful roads! Thanks for sharing & enlightening. There are several other places, which are left just without any attention and development. These places can be developed as tourist attractions and recreational spots. There are other dams like konar, hundru, maithan and garga which can be developed., But our politicians are busy in corruption and loot, so who is gonna look at it?
Yes true. I don't find another beautiful place than Patratu which is so close to home and yet so pristine. Here's a panoramic view of the place:
Attached Thumbnails
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-422965_10151014568551423_1486030064_n.jpg  

//M is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 00:47   #8
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Thanks for bringing back the old memories, i have been there multiple times and the experience was amazing every single trip. Will try to dig up some old pics and post.

Done few trips on bike too with friends, going to patratu and coming back via ramgarh both valleys were great on bike, had my trusted CBZ back then.
I have done Ranchi-Patratu thrice in the last one week, once in a Wagon R, once in a Verna and once in a Scorpio. Really waiting to do it on two wheels now. Actually I am still recovering from an accident so I am not allowed to ride motorcycles temporarily but I am dying to swing my leg over my Classic 500 and revel in the beauty of the valley. This road is a biker's paradise.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 00:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

There are many such roads in ranchi, if you travel lil out from city, dont know how is the state now, but i have done many adventures. Even when i had a bicycle we used go 50-60kms out of the city, beautiful mountains green fields and small rivers. Damn feels so nostalgic, ranchi was such a beautiful city till early 90s :(

Last edited by Rahulkool : 10th September 2012 at 00:50.
Old 10th September 2012, 08:05   #10
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
There are many such roads in ranchi, if you travel lil out from city, dont know how is the state now, but i have done many adventures. Even when i had a bicycle we used go 50-60kms out of the city, beautiful mountains green fields and small rivers. Damn feels so nostalgic, ranchi was such a beautiful city till early 90s :(
Yes true. I am doing my post grads here and my classmates who are actually from places like Kerala, Sikkim and Mussourie were also shocked to see the lovely Pithoria-Patratu valley.

Ranchi is choc-a-block with people, cars and there are absolutely no roads to ride but as soon as one sets out of town its all green and there are plenty of amazing roads too. The good thing about the 6-lane Ring Road (4-lane at some places, but mostly 6-lane) and the road to Patratu is that they have very very sparse traffic at any time of the day.

The new stretch between Ranchi and Ramgarh is also beautiful. I had posted some pics of the Ranchi-Ramgarh highway in another thread. Here's the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2785410
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 08:17   #11
Mik
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. As a fauji kid, i was in Ranchi/Namkum some 22 years back. Still remember the relatively advanced shopping market in Ranchi at that time. Firaylals, Easy Shoppie (with the carry cart system) and a particular toy shop in the same stretch where i used to buy 'Hotwheels'.
Would love it if you could share the latest pictures of dasham and hundru falls
Old 10th September 2012, 08:37   #12
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Thanks for sharing. As a fauji kid, i was in Ranchi/Namkum some 22 years back. Still remember the relatively advanced shopping market in Ranchi at that time. Firaylals, Easy Shoppie (with the carry cart system) and a particular toy shop in the same stretch where i used to buy 'Hotwheels'.
The Express Shoppie has been shut down and the toy shop you are talking about is probably Play House in G.E.L Church Complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Would love it if you could share the latest pictures of dasham and hundru falls
I have not visited Dasham and Hundru Falls recently but I have some recent pics of Hirni Falls, Panchghag, Dhurwa Dam and Rukka dam.

Hirni Falls
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04508.jpg
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04582.jpg

Panchghag
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc03966.jpg
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc03991.jpg

Dhurwa Dam (or Hatia Dam)
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04299.jpg
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-dsc04957.jpg

Rukka Dam
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-306629_3863892447980_1090048037_n.jpg
The scintillating Patratu Valley in Jharkhand-556020_3776609465960_511025182_n.jpg
//M is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 13:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I had never thought that such a place exists here in Jharkhand! Wonderful roads! Thanks for sharing & enlightening. There are several other places, which are left just without any attention and development.
AFAIK Patratu town is very small but also an old one. The PTPS was set up sometime in 1965-70 with Russian collaboration. Happened to visit there once in my childhood, it was a calm hamlet at that time. Had practically nothing to do after sunset. Loved the pristine forests and the unpolluted environment at that time.

What surprised me the most is the condition of the roads, never believed JH can have such beautiful roads. Actually before seeing this I believed that Jharkhand has one of the worst road infrastucure in the country.

Is the road condition similar throughout the state or this is effective only around the capital city of Ranchi. BlowhornOK can please help. I'm interested because I intend to make a road trip to Bokaro in Oct., my inlaw's stationed there.
Old 10th September 2012, 15:01   #14
BHPian

Roads in and around Bokaro @ their worst stage these days. If a novice driver drives carelessly, he would end up with a broken suspension. The roads inside the city i.e. sectors are fine but the main road (Read NH23) is a torture. Most severe is the stretch between Jainamore and Chas. Road upto Dhanbad is also in a bad state.

There is news that the NH would be four laned, but its just a news and I am hearing it since 4-5 years. But I hope by Oct at least the pot holes (craters) would be filled, as this is done after every monsoon.

Which route you are planning to take?

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 10th September 2012 at 15:03.
Old 10th September 2012, 15:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Oh my God!! Look at those roads! It must have been designed by a petrolhead

Most Viewed