Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2012, 14:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Travelogue : Lake Como, Maranello, Milan

Aah, Europe in summer time. Nice!
Great pics & account too
Just one question for you. Did you try the Pune- Frankfurt option? I think its a weekly flight. It could have been a bit more expensive perhaps but you would have saved the taxi trip to Mumbai.
Old 26th September 2012, 10:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
This is the car I drove
Do you have a video of your drive in Ferrari California?
Old 26th September 2012, 13:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Lovely account of a wonderful TL, Amogh.
Like all others said, a breakup of costs involved would be great.

You've already added the links to the hotel's, which is a great thing .

What I loved, (heck, everybody on this forum loved) was the visit to the two greatest sights in the world! It must've been like visting the Sistine chapel for any car buff.
But, not only did you visit the Sistine chapel, you even had lunch with the Cardinals (to be read as driving the California ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Just one question for you. Did you try the Pune- Frankfurt option? I think its a weekly flight. It could have been a bit more expensive perhaps but you would have saved the taxi trip to Mumbai.
AFAIK, the PNQ-FRA flight is a 55 seater business class only! That, IIRC had been suspended in between. Dont know if it is operational now, though.
Old 26th September 2012, 13:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
AFAIK, the PNQ-FRA flight is a 55 seater business class only! That, IIRC had been suspended in between. Dont know if it is operational now, though.
That was a business class only flight till late 2009, but they converted a section to include economy seating.
I know that for sure because I have only used that flight connection between 2009 and mid 2011. My neighbour is using that connection for his return sometime in December, so I am sure the flight is still on.
The only downside was that they refueled in Ankara or Tbilisi, which means an added stop.
Anything works for me as long as it keeps me away from the e-way drive to Mumbai airport. But then I am sure I have filled your ears with that 'logic' earlier
Old 26th September 2012, 14:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
What was the total cost of the trip ?
Added at the end of this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
could you please share the cost details
Added at the end of this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Did you try the Pune- Frankfurt option? I think its a weekly flight. It could have been a bit more expensive perhaps but you would have saved the taxi trip to Mumbai.
I did explore the Pune-Frankfurt option. It was 40% (INR 20k) more expensive. That I thought was too high a premium to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Do you have a video of your drive in Ferrari California?
No I don't. After looking at the quality of the videos those guys take, I thought it was best to not to have it. Moreover no matter how long the drive was : I was told I would get a video of only the first six minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Lovely account of a wonderful TL, Amogh.
Like all others said, a breakup of costs involved would be great.
Thanks Swanand ! Here is the break-up of the costs:

Flight Tickets : INR 1,00,000/-

Hotel Stay (9 nights) : INR 90,000/- (Including breakfast, wi-fi and taxes)

Car Rental (9 days) : INR 42,000/-

Schengen Visa : INR 12,000/- (including travel agent fees)

Schengen Insurance : INR 8,000/-

Food, local sight seeing and miscellaneous expenses : INR 70,000

Fuel : INR 7,000/-

Total Cost : INR 3,29,000/- (for two) : INR 1,65,000 per person

This is expensive B-U-T it is cheaper than the likes of Cox and Kings, Thomas Cook etc. However I must add here that all the hotels we stayed at were rated three stars. You can find cheaper accommodations and that can bring down your costs. Car rental cost can be brought down by hiring a smaller car : but then you better be light on your luggage.

Trip Advisor is your best friend while planning.

Also note that we did not shop at all ! If shopping is on your agenda (and trust me Milan is very tempting especially if you are into lifestyle clothing and accessories) : then add another 75k-100k to the above.

Hope this helps

Amogh
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 15:11   #21
BHPian

Fantastic travelogue Amogh...great details in the pictures and the logistics. Rated 5 stars
Old 26th September 2012, 15:26   #22
BHPian

Fantastic Travelogue Amogh. Really loved the photographs and the details provided. Indeed very well drafted.
Old 27th September 2012, 15:44   #23
Team-BHP Support

Nice pictures Amogh! Coincidentally, my wife and I too did the Italian leg of our holiday, namely Milan, Venice, Florence (via Maranello ofcourse) & Rome last month by car. Heck, even we even rented out a Ferrari California from Pitlane store you clicked outside the Ferrari Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
One query, do you need an IDP to rent / drive in Italy or does an Indian license work?
Quote:
Thanks ! Yes you do need an IDP. The rental desk took a photocopy of both : Indian license as well as the IDP
Slight correction here. You need to have an International Driving Permit to rent a car in Italy (actually most of Europe) only if you're going to be driving there for a period longer than 6 months from the date of your arrival. There are a couple of links that I have even read that having an IDP does not waive off the criteria that an individual should be in possession of their resident driving permit.
Old 27th September 2012, 15:48   #24
BHPian

Awesome travelogue. The pics are truly breathtaking. Especially of the Fiat 500.
One query, What all do you need to be eligible for driving a car in Europe?
Old 27th September 2012, 15:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Nice pictures Amogh!
Slight correction here. You need to have an International Driving Permit to rent a car in Italy (actually most of Europe) only if you're going to be driving there for a period longer than 6 months from the date of your arrival. There are a couple of links that I have even read that having an IDP does not waive off the criteria that an individual should be in possession of their resident driving permit.
Thanks for the appreciation! I think I wasn't clear in my earlier post. You need your Indian License (i.e the one issued by your local RTO) and the IDP.

I too had seen multiple websites giving various versions of the requirement. I had called the local rental company (before leaving India) and they informed me that I will need to carry my local Indian License and the IDP booklet.

btw : the lady at the rental desk cross-checked the postal address on my Pune RTO issued license and my passport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Awesome travelogue. The pics are truly breathtaking. Especially of the Fiat 500.
One query, What all do you need to be eligible for driving a car in Europe?
1. Indian License
2. IDP
3. Good amount of homework - road signs, speed limits, parking legends (how to differentiate paid vs free parking) etc
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 20:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too had seen multiple websites giving various versions of the requirement. I had called the local rental company (before leaving India) and they informed me that I will need to carry my local Indian License and the IDP booklet.
Actually, the IDP is mandatory IF you license is in local language. If it has details in english, its optional.
Old 27th September 2012, 21:38   #27
BHPian

Fantastic!!! And those Lambo engines WOW!!
Old 28th September 2012, 00:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Actually, the IDP is mandatory IF you license is in local language. If it has details in english, its optional.
I was asked to show the IDP in spite of my Indian Driving License being in English (It is a smart card).

Look at this way : You have got nothing to lose if you have the IDP. But if you don't have it : all your plans can go for a complete toss : especially if you have planned a road trip.

In case of doubt : go for the safest option
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 06:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was asked to show the IDP in spite of my Indian Driving License being in English (It is a smart card).

Look at this way : You have got nothing to lose if you have the IDP. But if you don't have it : all your plans can go for a complete toss : especially if you have planned a road trip.

In case of doubt : go for the safest option
I agree with your last comment. But its strange that you were asked for IDP. I have been renting for the past 3 years in the same Airport - Milan, and never asked for my IDP. I have the normal license in card. May be they don't want a SMART card
Old 28th September 2012, 08:30   #30
BANNED

IDP is not always asked for by the rental agencies, but you better have it if stopped by the cops. You don't need a IDP if you license is in a language local to the country that you are in eg: English for US/UK, Italian for Italy etc.

Most Viewed