Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2012, 04:35   #1
BHPian

A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)

Prologue:
Friday morning, 7 AM, on the way to Jaguar Castle Bromwich factory
Me: What plans for tomorrow ?
DB (Colleague): I am thinking of going for a drive to Elan Valley in Wales tomorrow since I think this is the last weekend we have good weather, then its going to get snowy and icy and basically shi**y..
Me: Hmm..good, what is it about ?
DB: Its a nice driving course, part of the Welsh rally, I think I am going to have fun just driving around and chucking my car into the corners.
Me: I want to come along then, but my car needs disc and brake pad replacement, don't think I will be able to get it done today evening.

Silence for sometime, DB is driving and wondering if he can get hold of one F-type for the weekend, that would be a dream come true. I am thinking what if I cannot go on a drive, if I go with DB I can have a good photography day out. I ask DB, he agrees promptly and asks me "I hope you are not easily scared, I am going to drive like crazy!!" (Of course within speed limits which is 60mph on those roads, but the dips and climbs combined with tight hairpins make it a scary experience).

So all planned out, we are going to leave at 7.30 in the morning on Saturday. Around 110 miles from Coventry is where the course starts, we planned to reach there by 11. All of this was planned with a big BUT. We both were hoping that we are not pulled into coming to office for "weekend support" on post build diagnosis on the F-type. Fingers crossed, we finished Friday and headed home making ourselves available "on the phone" if there is any problem

DB prepared his car up for the Saturday since we were in no way going to ask for a F-type after refusing to come to office. He drives a VW Golf GTi MK5. Gorgeous red coloured car, modified suspension, engine remapped to give 310 bhp (stock gives 245bhp I think) and various other trim bits changed. I made sure my camera's battery is charged and memory card has enough space. Next, downloaded the itinerary file and loaded it into my Sat Nav.

We started off at 7.30 AM sharp, after 100 miles of combined driving on the motorway and twisty A44, we reached the start of the course. From here on, I will let the pictures do the talking

This valley is home to 3 dams built on a reservoir that supplies water to the city of Birmingham. That's as much trivia as I cared to gather from the various boards, I was more excited to capture the beautiful views!!
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0578.jpg

Dam 1 and the reservoir embraced by the mountains around it.
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0580.jpg
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0582.jpg
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0587.jpg
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0592.jpg
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0595.jpg

Dam 2 and successful attempts at slow shutter speed photos!!
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0598.jpg
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0605.jpg
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0607.jpg
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0616.jpg
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0624.jpg
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0626.jpg

DB got contemplative!!
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0628.jpg

Dam 3
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0637.jpg
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0645.jpg
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0647.jpg

..and the machine
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0641.jpg
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0643.jpg

Beautiful scenery, what a great blend of clear blue skies, green pastures and the stream. In one word, SERENE!!
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0652.jpg
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0653.jpg
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0654.jpg
A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)-img_0655.jpg

Last edited by dgupta : 5th November 2012 at 02:01.
dgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 10:39   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: A day in the mountains - Elan Valley (Wales)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 6th November 2012, 11:00   #3
BHPian

Awesome countryside vistas mate! And the road, slithering around like the river, sure looks pretty inviting to let it rip. Killer combination!
Old 6th November 2012, 11:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Great pix, never understood the British greed for more sun - when you can see how bright and sunny it is in the snaps!

By the way you learnt Welsh language by now?
Old 6th November 2012, 18:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Awesome countryside vistas mate! And the road, slithering around like the river, sure looks pretty inviting to let it rip. Killer combination!
Thanks lordofgondor, glad you liked it. More pics coming up soon here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Great pix, never understood the British greed for more sun - when you can see how bright and sunny it is in the snaps!

By the way you learnt Welsh language by now?
Alpha1, the sun was out but it was around 0 deg C on that day. Add to that a strong breeze, I was freezing everytime I got out of the car to click pictures!! Its back to the gloomy six months now and the morning ice scraping from windshield routine.

Welsh: I learned one word ARAF = SLOW. Painted all along the course on the roads and sign boards. The only word I learned and found hard to abide by the instruction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks