Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 16:22   #1
BHPian

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue

My cousin and his family visited Hyderabad last weekend. Took them around the important tourist places. Posting these photos primarily for the folks who have not yet visited Hyderabad.

i) Golconda Fort and its surroundings

Erstwhile capital of the Qutb Shahi Dynasty which predated the Nizam's. This was considered to be an impregnable fort. This gives ample demonstration of the engineering marvels of the time - clever use of acoustics to communicate across great distances, natural air conditioning inside the rooms etc. Qutb Shahi were great builders; founded the city of Hyderabad and built Charminar.
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1886.jpg

Nagina Bagh, This was an old diamond market and Kohinoor and Hope Diamond were supposedly traded here. Now converted to a garden.
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1820.jpg]

Charminar's was inspired by this mosque's design and architecture. See the patterns in the minars.
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1849.jpg

Clever use of natural fortification, fort walls built around natural rocks.
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1826.jpgGlimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1845.jpg

Sunset from the top
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1872.jpg

View of the city from the top
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1881.jpg

ii) Chowmahalla Palace
The office residence of the Nizams of Hyderabad, the name means 4 palaces. First built in 1750 and further extended by the subsequent Nizams over the next 100 years, this was recently opened to the public.
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1771.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1772.jpg

Nizam's Throne.
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1744.jpgGlimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1752.jpg

A thing of beauty in the pool in the front of the palace.
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1782.jpg

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1778.jpg

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1770.jpg

Please await the next part....
rknair is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 18:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue

very well covered and beautiful photographs. Have been a nice read. Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair View Post
My cousin and his family visited Hyderabad last weekend. Took them around the important tourist places. Posting these photos primarily for the folks who have not yet visited Hyderabad

Cyberbad has some lovely monuments, i hope to see some more from your end. The photographs of the Golconda fort and Chowmahal palace are captured beautifully Mr Nair.

Last edited by noopster : 10th November 2013 at 22:35.
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:05   #4
BHPian

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue (Part II)

Read Part I here

iii) Charminar

Built in 1591 by Sultan Muhammed Quli Qutb Shah, Charminar is the most recognizable monument in Hyderabad. This was built in the center of the city at the intersection of two major highways passing through the city at that time to thank God for sparing the city from a terrible plague. Now with the modern developments, the monument is tucked away in the southern corner of the current city of Hyderabad surrounded by markets famous for its glass covered bangles, pearl jewelry, attars (perfumes) and embroidered clothes.

(Sorry about the picture quality here, I didn't have a tripod, so used the parked cars to support my camera with a long exposure setting.)
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1796.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1798.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1799.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1800.jpg

iv) Birla Mandir

Built by Birla Foundation, this magnificent edifice of pure white Rajasthani Marble stands on top of Naubath Pahad overlooking the Hussain Sagar Lake. A visit to this place will sure give you mental peace with its cool breeze, away from the huzzle and buzzle view of the city below. The view of the Hussian Sagar Lake from the top is indescribable. Unfortunately cameras are not allowed to the top, so could not capture that for you.

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1616.jpg

It has a amalgam of North Indian and South Indian Temple architecture with the main garbha griha in North Indian Lotus architecture
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1613.jpg

and the gopura in South Indian architecture.
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1617.jpg

The tall pillar you see on the left is the elevator for the aged and the infirm.
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1612.jpg

A beautiful scene on the backdrop..
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1609.jpg

Please await the next part..
Attached Thumbnails
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1653.jpg  

rknair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:52   #5
BHPian

Nice pictures Mr.Nair.

Did you also get a chance to visit Salargung Museum, Purani Haveli ? Waiting for your next update :-)
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
very well covered and beautiful photographs. Have been a nice read. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
Cyberbad has some lovely monuments, i hope to see some more from your end. The photographs of the Golconda fort and Chowmahal palace are captured beautifully Mr Nair.
Thank you guys, your posts are a great encouragement for a newbie like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes View Post
Nice pictures Mr.Nair.

Did you also get a chance to visit Salargung Museum, Purani Haveli ? Waiting for your next update :-)
This time I couldn't cover Salar Jung & Purani Haveli. They visited Salar Jung Museum but I couldn't go with them. Camera is not allowed inside the museum anyway.

My next episode will come later today / early morning tomorrow.
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Those are some wonderful pictures of the Hyderabad's famous monuments and its always nice to relive our memories from these pictures

Incidentally, last weekend I visited Chowmullah palace to show to a relative visiting from Delhi, I must add she was impressed

If you dont mind, posting a few pictures from our visit to Chowmullah Palace (including a snap of the flower shot in the palace. Also, adding a couple of the Buddha statue in Tank Bund
Attached Thumbnails
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-img_0892_01.jpg  

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-img_0906_01.jpg  

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-img_0907_01.jpg  

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-img_0911_01.jpg  

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-img_0912_01.jpg  

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-img_0924.jpg  

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dsc_4228.jpg  

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dsc_9678.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 09:27   #8
BHPian

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue Part III

Read also Part I and Part II.

Part III

v) Hussain Sagar

Hussian Sagar, a heart shaped artificial lake in the center of current city of Hyderabad-Secunderabad, was built in the 16th century during the rule of Ibrahim Qutb Shah. This lake surrounded by beautiful well light, tree covered roads - Tank Bund and NTR Marg on one side and the Necklace Road on the other is a favorite recreational spot for the residents of this city. As they say, beauty is only skin deep; this is also a major dump of chemical wastes from the industries. GHMC has setup many beautiful parks all around the lake some of the most famous are Lumbini Park, NTR Park, Sanjeevaiah Park and Indira Park.
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1608.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1653.jpg

vi) Buddha Statue
The tallest monolithic Buddha statue in the world stands in the center of the lake on a small island facing the Tank Bund Road. It is said that NT Rama Rao, the erstwhile Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh drew inspiration from the Statue of Liberty to set up this project in Hyderabad.
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1638.jpg

There is an unfortunate history about the statue. While the statue was taken for installation to the island, the boat capsized killing 10 workers. For 2 years, the statue lay in the bottom of Hussain Sagar after it was retrieved and installed in one piece. You can take a boat from Lumbini Park and Necklace Road and visit the island where the Buddha stands.
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1646.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1649.jpg

Some more stunning photographs of the buddha statue are posted by @mobike008.

I will conclude these glimpses with one more post but that will be a surprise...
rknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 12:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue Part III

Quote:
Hussain Sagar
So far an excellent one.Thanks for sharing.Awaiting the surprise
Old 5th December 2012, 18:26   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't keep us waiting for long
Old 5th December 2012, 20:47   #11
BHPian

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue Part IV

Part IV

Read Part I, Part II and Part III...

Thanks everyone for waiting.

I will conclude this series with this post dedicating to one man's passion, ingenuity and hardwork.

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1677.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1704.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1705.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1679.jpg

Hey, why are all these photos of random objects here? What has this got to do with Hyderabad and a forum dedicated to automobiles and travel?

All the objects - Handbag, Doll House, Computer, WC - you see above are working models of automobiles designed by Mr Sudhakar and available for our viewing pleasure at Sudha Cars Museum in Hyderabad.

Mr Sudhakar, has a passion of designing wacky handmade automobiles and his creations frequently makes into the Newspaper headlines in Hyderabad editions. I have been reading about this museum for sometime and this is the first time I got to see his creations in person. Let us read what this is about in their own words.

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1662.jpg

The entrance to this museum is so unassuming that you will easily miss it. This world record holder - world's largest tricycle with a simple cloth banner reading Sudha Cars greets you here. You might as well think that it is an automobile workshop.

Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dsc00618.jpg

The exhibits are stored in 3 or 4 warehouses and I just wished they had decked up the exhibit halls better. The paints were coming off, there were cracks visible on the walls and the people employed to explain about the vehicles didn't have a passion towards the exhibits and that was a major put off.

Here are some more wacky creations.

Helmet
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1678.jpg

Fountain Pen
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1683.jpg

World Cup Special
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1687.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1688.jpg

Coffee Mug
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1702.jpg

Condom
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1701.jpg

Sports Series
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1703.jpg

Train
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1706.jpg

Saw a set of these beauties which he had restored in their full glory.
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1686.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1690.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1691.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1689.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1684.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1680.jpg
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1681.jpg

The next masterpiece in making.
Glimpses of Hyderabad - A Photologue-dscf1709.jpg

Thank you for the encouragement and patience to go through the whole series. It was a pleasure for me to give you a glimpse of the beautiful city which adopted me. Hope you enjoyed it...
rknair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 08:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing !!!
The twist of the tale at the end was a classic "Bye with a BANG!"

A very informative and nicely covered photologue of the city. If one had to search for a page which gives a complete outlook and places of interest in hyderabad in a nutshell, his search just ended here.

And to top it all, the info and aptly covered Sudha Cars was a master stroke. Thanks a lot for sharing the info. I never knew something lke this existed and in my next visit to hyderabad, this is in my wish list No 1

Thanks for sharing
Old 6th December 2012, 21:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
And to top it all, the info and aptly covered Sudha Cars was a master stroke.
Thankyou dhanush. This is one of the lesser known attractions of Hyderabad. I wanted to give this its due through my post.

Again there are lot more to see in the pearl city - Purani Haveli, Salar Jung Museum, Faluknuma Palace, Qutb Shahi Tombs from the bygone era and the modern attractions like Ramoji Film City, Shilparamam,Snow World, NTR gardens, Prasad Imax and the IT city of cyberabad which haven't been covered here.
Old 6th December 2012, 22:14   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair

Again there are lot more to see in the pearl city - Purani Haveli, Salar Jung Museum, Faluknuma Palace, Qutb Shahi Tombs from the bygone era and the modern attractions like Ramoji Film City, Shilparamam,Snow World, NTR gardens, Prasad Imax and the IT city of cyberabad which haven't been covered here.
I have visited Hyderabad once. Not as a tourist but on work. I did visit some of the places mentioned by you. But majority remained untouched. Shall make it count the next time I'm there
Old 10th November 2013, 14:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thankyou dhanush. This is one of the lesser known attractions of Hyderabad. I wanted to give this its due through my post.

Hello there,

Am visiting H'Bad for holidays in Dec 2013 from 26th to 30th.

Am keen to see Purani Haveli, Salar Jung Museum, Faluknuma Palace, Qutb Shahi Tomb, Charminar, Chowmuhalla Palace, Lake etc.

I will stay in South H'Bad.

Can I be suggested an day-wise itinerary please?

Many thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks