Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Oh man, absolutely missed it. Been busy in other activities and mostly on the move with a short picnic to Pavana Dam on 1st Jan. But got it now, though late. You got superb captures there of flamingos and scenery too.

Last edited by parsh : 3rd January 2013 at 18:03.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 19:53   #17
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Thanks, parsh. I went again on 5 Jan. I got there at 2 PM, and the high tide was around 630 PM. We had a lot of flamingos right next to the ships, to the right of the Jetty. As the day wore on, the birds got closer, and the light got better and better. I got a number of shots at F11, 1/400s because the light was soooo good. And the birds were so close I could literally see their eyes. Around 10AM to 2 Pm is not a great time IMHO to take pics over a water body.

I also checked for alternative spots. Colgate factory. There were cops and they prevented me from taking pics. Sewri fort and Dargah. Too high up, and directly above mangroves, so no clear shots. Turns out the Jetty is best. I will do some more recce and report back.

Have posted more pics. All with a 5dMii, EF200 F2.8 Lii, 2X iii extender, 055XB tripod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Nice catches there Karthik. Lets make this thread into a good informative to all on the Sewri mudflats and its exploits. SDP better hurry now though they should be there till March atleast.
The low tide is at 11:14 AM on Sat, 5 Jan. So the observation window will be from 8 AM - 2 PM (mid of low-high tides) and view should be better between 9 AM - 1 PM.
Hi SDP,
The first set of pix were with a 200 F2.8 prime. I added a 2x iii extender for round 2. I have posted those pics too today.
Quote:
You seem to have missed http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ri-mumbai.html.

karthik,
Nice pictures there! What gear do you use?

OT: we should seriously make an inventory of the lenses owned by Mumbai TBHPians. Would be interesting to rent/borrow from fellow BHPians rather than from the market.
More pix from Jan 5.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4360_crop.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4499.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4282_compressed.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4432.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4375.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4433.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4494.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4400.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4282crop2_ac.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4339_close_up.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4386.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4397.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4356.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4367.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4419.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4339_crop1.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4365.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4439.jpg  

PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-img_4430.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2013 at 11:21. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
karthik_rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 20:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_rao View Post
Thanks, parsh. I went again on 5 Jan. I got there at 2 PM, and the high tide was around 630 PM. We had a lot of flamingos right next to the ships, to the right of the Jetty. As the day wore on, the birds got closer, and the light got better and better. I got a number of shots at F11, 1/400s because the light was soooo good. And the birds were so close I could literally see their eyes. Around 10AM to 2 Pm is not a great time IMHO to take pics over a water body.

I also checked for alternative spots. Colgate factory. There were cops and they prevented me from taking pics. Sewri fort and Dargah. Too high up, and directly above mangroves, so no clear shots. Turns out the Jetty is best. I will do some more recce and report back.

Have posted more pics. All with a 5dMii, EF200 F2.8 Lii, 2X iii extender, 055XB tripod.
Awesome pics Karhik, from such close and with minute details. You got them at the right time man. Do share if any more.

SDP must be envious of you now.

I thought as much about the Sewri fort as it is farther from the good vantage points near jetty. Jetty is really the spot. Thanks for doing the investigations and confirming.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 20:46   #19
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
More pix from Jan 5.
Karthik, those are absolutely GORGEOUS set of pictures. So up close and so sharp. Amazing work!

PS: I went to Airoli on Sunday. Saw a few flamingos from the bridge. All long shots, no closeups. OKish types. Would upload a few soon.

Those flamingos are addictive. I am itching to go to Sewri again, but there are just too many things pending on the "To-Do" list. Let's see if I can squeeze in one trip in early Feb.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 21:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS: I went to Airoli on Sunday. Saw a few flamingos from the bridge. All long shots, no closeups. OKish types. Would upload a few soon.
In Airoli, as I had read sometime somewhere, I am not sure exactly from where but you got to take fisherman boat to get close to them. Sewri is much easier place to catch them.

Quote:
Those flamingos are addictive. I am itching to go to Sewri again, but there are just too many things pending on the "To-Do" list. Let's see if I can squeeze in one trip in early Feb.
You bet they are utterly addictive man. Every year look forward to them and itch to go there every weekend, although it doesn't become possible.
Old 11th January 2013, 08:44   #21
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
In Airoli, as I had read sometime somewhere, I am not sure exactly from where but you got to take fisherman boat to get close to them. Sewri is much easier place to catch them.
I guess I was the one who had asked you about the boat option at Airoli and Mahul. I had written to a few other TBHPians as well. A few replied that they are not aware. A couple of gentlemen, who are aware, did not respond.

So, I decided to explore and find out myself. Scanned the Airoli creek using Google Maps (satellite images and not roads). Was looking for a place where small boats are parked. Found a tentative location in Airoil and decided to check it out in person. The Sunday trip to Airoli was precisely for that.

See the area marked in red? Seems like the end-point of a small jetty and one can see a few small boats there.
PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-airoli-flamingos-2.jpg

Here's a zoomed out picture of the terrain.
PICS: Flamingoes start flying into Sewri, Mumbai-airoli-flamingos.jpg

The pink rectangle is where flamingos are located. The green circle is the spot on the bridge from where I was able to watch the birds. The red circle is the small jetty like structure that is shown in the first map.

I went there and indeed found fishing boats parked there. Could not speak to any fisherman and get any additional details. But I am pretty sure, this is the place from where one can hire a boat.

From what I have read, they charge something like 1500 for 3 hours and you can get really close to the birds. Additionally you would be able to see the birds at eye-level. So want to experience it at least once.

The Sewri flamingo watching is so easy and stress-free (and free ), that hiring a boat and being ready to step into mud etc sounds a bit too much. But, if it provides a unique perspective, why not? Let's see.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 15:36   #22
BHPian

I had posted my experiences on a couple of groups on Facebook -Mumbai Weekend Shoot and BNHS. I have had a two things confirmed by multiple people now:
1. Sewri Jetty is the best terrestrial place to go. I dont know about boats.
2. Birds are thickest and closest to shore about 1-2 hours before high tide. If this happens to be around 3-4 PM, then the light is just perfect.

Am planning to go again this Saturday, around 1 PM. The High tide is around 1130 AM, and I expect that by around 1-2 PM, the birds will start flying in. My theory is that this might be the best time for BIF shots.
karthik_rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 11:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

If I am not late in posting, for those looking out for Flamingoes in Sewri, they have started pouring in. They had still not arrived as of 4 Jan 2014. But now confirmed reports from friends of spotting. So check out the tidal timings and make your visit count if you are looking for one.
Old 27th January 2014, 11:50   #24
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2014 at 12:56.
qqplus is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th January 2014, 13:26   #25
BHPian

Had been to Sewri on 25 Jan, and yes, the flamingos are out there in full strength. Important change is that the Sewri Jetty does not seem to be a good spot for viewing this year. there is a huge vessel that is being repaired, and there is a lot of metal cutting, and a generator. So the birds do not come anywhere close to the jetty.
Am planning to try TS Chanakya or someplace the coming weekend, I could see birds on the Navi Mumbai side from Sewri.
Bhandup Pumping station is also bereft of migratory waders, have made a few trips including on 26 Jan, nothing to writh home about, mostly Black Winged stilts, and a lone flamingo. Talawe was also relatively quiet 2-3 weeks back. Seems like a bad year, maybe the late monsoon threw the birds off.
Old 27th January 2014, 13:56   #26
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Had been to Sewri on 25 Jan, and yes, the flamingos are out there in full strength. Important change is that the Sewri Jetty does not seem to be a good spot for viewing this year. there is a huge vessel that is being repaired, and there is a lot of metal cutting, and a generator. So the birds do not come anywhere close to the jetty.
Am planning to try TS Chanakya or someplace the coming weekend, I could see birds on the Navi Mumbai side from Sewri.
Bhandup Pumping station is also bereft of migratory waders, have made a few trips including on 26 Jan, nothing to writh home about, mostly Black Winged stilts, and a lone flamingo. Talawe was also relatively quiet 2-3 weeks back. Seems like a bad year, maybe the late monsoon threw the birds off.
Where is TS Chanakya?

PS: I am still confused about the tide timings and when the flamingos come closer. Do the flamingos come closer to the jetty as the high-tide starts rising?
Old 27th January 2014, 20:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there is a huge vessel that is being repaired, and there is a lot of metal cutting, and a generator.
Yes, that is also the situation, forgot to mention.

Quote:
Where is TS Chanakya?
Yes pls, where is it?

Quote:
PS: I am still confused about the tide timings and when the flamingos come closer. Do the flamingos come closer to the jetty as the high-tide starts rising?
Let me try put it like this.

At low tide, the sea shore opens up to larger inwards food platform for the birds so they are farther away from jetty.

As the high tide moves in, that area is closed upon and slowly it narrows to near jetty.

So just before the midpoint of low-to-high-tide would be a good time to visit there and enjoy till the tide fills in completely when they take off completely.
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:58   #28
BHPian

As per media reports, flamingos are back. Anyone planning a trip to Sewri?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks