Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2012, 11:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik60 View Post
@dhanushmenon: How much is the four laning of the stretch between Surathkal and Kundapur done? This work was going on when I went there about 6 months back.
Nice to see you visited Ezhimala beach. Your picture makes me nostalgic. That beach used to be our regular hangout during our holidays which we spent in Payyanur.
Nice crisp logs replete with beautiful pics.
I dont remember off hand the exact distance of completion of work. I dont think it would've progressed much in the last few months. When i traversed through there, the drive was pretty good enough. As far as i remember it's still two way highway for most of the distance. But no traffic blocks.

Ezhimala beach was not to be missed anyway. We had a sunset cruise along the kavvayi back waters and a bath in the sea which were major highlights of our stop over there
Old 6th December 2012, 14:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Ezhimala beach was not to be missed anyway. We had a sunset cruise along the kavvayi back waters and a bath in the sea which were major highlights of our stop over there
I'm guessing you turned left off the highway at Ezhilode while going to Ezhimala? The next time try and pass through the road that connects Ezhimala to Payyanur railway station. You will climb the hill and pass by a beautiful Hanuman statue. The views from there are spectacular. You can see miles out to see, and also the backwaters snaking their way inland. Spectacular sight.
kaushik60 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 16:10   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik60 View Post
I'm guessing you turned left off the highway at Ezhilode while going to Ezhimala? The next time try and pass through the road that connects Ezhimala to Payyanur railway station. You will climb the hill and pass by a beautiful Hanuman statue. The views from there are spectacular. You can see miles out to see, and also the backwaters snaking their way inland. Spectacular sight.
I dont know where Ezhilode is. From Pappinisseri, I took a left and went through pazhayangadi- Madayippara- Ettikulam Beach
Old 6th December 2012, 17:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I dont know where Ezhilode is. From Pappinisseri, I took a left and went through pazhayangadi- Madayippara- Ettikulam Beach
Oh ok, you took the inside route then, not the NH. Ezhilode is the village where you can turn left off the national highway to get to Ezhimala, some 7 kms before Payyanur. But its good that you took the Pappiniseri-Pazhayangadi route. It's good fun, and a nice break from the highway.
How did you get back to the highway? and if you saw sunset at Ezhimala, where did you stay the night?

ALso, just curious, why did you take the road through pazhayangadi to Ezhimala? Did someone suggest it, or did you follow google maps?

Sorry to sound like I'm interrogating you
Old 6th December 2012, 17:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Kochi- Kollur

The route followed was:
Kochi- NH 47 to Thrissur- Kuttipuram- Kottakkal- Ramanattukara- NH bypass of Calicut- Thalassery- Kannur- Kasaragod- Mangalore- Kundapura- Kollur Mookambika temple.
How much time did it take (start and end time) and what was the total distance? How long is the bad section in NH 17?
Old 6th December 2012, 21:58   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk

How much time did it take (start and end time) and what was the total distance? How long is the bad section in NH 17?
I did a very relaxing drive. As I was travelling with two small kids I had to cater for their comfort more than the distance covered in a day. Dragging them out of sleep into the car would spoil the whole day. So On the days of travelling i used to start the drive at around 0930 or so after break fast.

On the first day I travelled till ezhimala and the next day I traveled to kollur. Total distance was 580 kms till kollur from kochi.

The bad stretches in NH 17 is not continuous. It comes in patches like the nadugani road near nilambur. It's mainly bad from payyanur till neeleshwaram (kasaragod ). After that till mangalore it was okay and beyond mangalore it was generally good.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 20:42   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Places to visit in Chikmagalur (continued...)

8) Honnamanna falls (by the road side)- Nothing great about it. Just a set of laid out steps through which the water tumbles over. This is by the road side, with a small temple alongside it.

View of the falls from road side

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-25.jpg

View of the road from the falls

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-26.jpg

9) Baba Budan Giri Datta Peetha (13.520171,75.750192) (muslim pilgrimage)- There is some history associated with it, but I did not dwell much into it. I just know that this is a tomb of a famous muslim prophet. Please forgive me for my ignorance. There were many tourists visiting the tomb. It was then that I noticed that most of the already scanty traffic up the hill was part of pilgrimage to this place and people like me who went to see the place was almost zilch.

View from top.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-30.jpg

The drive to this place however, was an experience. With sharp blind curves and steep drops, the drive is tricky and is worth for the experience.

They were in the process of making concreted roads.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-27.jpg

Well, don’t ask me what happens in case of an opposite traffic!!!

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-28.jpg

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-34.jpg

10) Manikyadhara Falls

This is around 3- 4 Kms further up hill from Baba Budan Giri. The road was bad and I could barely tug along my low GC Figo.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-31.jpg

The thing which was keeping me from losing my cool was the amazing view enroute. So actually, I was more engrossed in lapping up the feast to my eyes than anything else.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-32.jpg

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-33.jpg

It felt like we could almost touch the clouds... but not quite !!!

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-35.jpg

At the end, we reached Manikyadhara falls. There are proper laid out steps till the water fall. There is also a basement and a barricade constructed where you stand to take a bath. The falls though is located on the steep drop of the mountain, is safe and is visited by all who come for the pilgrimage.

View point over looking the valley

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-36.jpg

Proper laid out steps leading to the falls

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-37.jpg

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-38.jpg
Old 13th December 2012, 14:06   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

There has been some error in the uploaded snaps in post #22. Therefore, uploading it again.

Entrance to the homestay.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-1.jpg

View from the bed room

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-2.jpg

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-3.jpg

A walk way through the coffee plantations.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-4.jpg

A morning walk through the plantations is blissful

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-5.jpg

The red berry- coffee seeds

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-6.jpg

My son warming himself up at the Campfire

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-7.jpg

Children's play Area

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-8.jpg

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-9.jpg

Re- discovering childhood! Well the swing was not particularly meant only for adults

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-10.jpg

A curious flower in the garden. The guy told me the name is “The bird of heaven”. My wife gleefully bought that statement. I have my serious doubts though.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-11.jpg
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 14:39   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Places to visit

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-maplarge.jpg

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-tourist-map-chkmglr.jpg

1) Kalhati Falls
2) Hebbe Falls
(There’s a small trek to reach the falls)
3) Kemmangundi (Lat Long 13.549711,75.751394)- (should visit Z point and sunset point)

[NB: Sl No 1, 2 and 3 are north of Chikmagalur and should be visited in a single go. Kemmangundi (hill peak) is the nodal point which you have to head for. Kalhati falls comes on the way and the other places are in Kemmangundi.

When I went there, except for Kalhati falls, I couldn’t go up the hill range due to construction work of the road. This was on 19 Nov 2012. Anyone venturing, please find out before you make your plans]

Kalhati falls. Notice that the rocks have been carved out in the shape of elephants.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-13.jpg

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-14.jpg

4) Ayyenkere Lake (other side of chkmglr town)

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-15.jpg

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-16.jpg

5) MG park – [musical fountain, toy train ride and play area of kids]. If you have been to Brindavan Gardens in Mysore or Lal Bagh of Bangalore, the park is worth a miss. Toy train ride was good, though I won’t rate it too high also.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-17.jpg

6) Kavikalgandi [view point])
(enroute to Sl No 7, 8, 9 AND 10). Landmark is the checkpost

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-18.jpg

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-19.jpg

7) Dabdabe falls- This water fall is a must visit in Chikmagalur. It is located inside a private estate, but the entry is not restricted. There is one eco farm and some ayurveda treatment centre inside the estate. There is an approx 1.5 to 2 Kms walk from road to reach the falls.

Look out for this sign (below picture) by the road side. There’s no other sign board indicating the presence of such a waterfall. When you see the sign, park your vehicle by the side and walk into the gate.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-20.jpg

There are no sign boards leading to the falls inside the estate and at one point we were wondering whether we are at the correct place or not. There’s a jeep track which goes inside the estate. But vehicles are not allowed inside of visitors. It has to be parked outside their locked gates. The walk to the falls is refreshing, with the path way meandering and all covered with tall trees, inside the coffee plantations.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-21.jpg

You can all the while hear the rumble of the water falling somewhere nearby but you will not sight the falls till you have reached some hundred metres from the water. The walk will take you right down to the bottom of the fall, where you can take bath in the cool, amazingly refreshing plunge. It is 100% safe, secluded and absolutely worth the 2 Km walk.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-22.jpg

This photo shows the base of the falls, where you can take bath.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-23.jpg

A minor Rainbow formation, sighted when we were about to leave. As if though seeing us off with a "Bye"

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-24.jpg

The remaining places to visit have been covered in post #23

More to be updated in the thread of Belur, Halebidu and Mysore. But time is always at premium!
Old 13th December 2012, 14:54   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Places to visit in Chikmagalur (continued...)

11) Mullayangiri Peak Lat Long 13.390618,75.719636 (tallest peak of Karnataka)
This is the tallest peak of Karnataka and needless to say, the scenery enroute is just AMAZING.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-39.jpg

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-40.jpg

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-41.jpg

To reach the pinnacle of the mountain, there is a flight of steps.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-42.jpg

The drive is again a bit risky at some places with sharp blind curves and non barricaded turns around steep inclines. The surface of road is good.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-43.jpg

It is a good place for sunsets. However, the drive back should be started before it gets dark view regard to the safety on the drive and non availability of street lights through out.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-44.jpg

Around two Kms down the hill is 12) Seetalayana Mata (a small temple) point. This is also a good view point for sunsets.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-45.jpg

13) Coffee Museum
The museum depicts the history of coffee in India and also demonstration of step by step procedure of coffee manufacturing, sorting of seeds and packing. There is also interactive information screens which gives the descriptive details of all kinds of queries one might have related to Coffee.

Report : Kochi - Kollur - Jog Falls - Chikmagalur - Mysore-46.jpg

Shopping and Miscellaneous
One can do shopping for Coffee in the town on the way out of Chikmagalur. Pandurang Coffee shop is traditionally the best shop in the town for years together. Other than that there’s nothing much peculiar and unique to be shopped from this coffee town.
Old 13th December 2012, 18:52   #26
BHPian

Dhanush,, some of the snaps were amazing especially the shot from the top of jog and the old lady sleeping next to the corn ( this you could try to send it in a photography contest, has a lot of substance to it.

We had bee to Jog couple of years ago via Chickmangalore (jungle lodges river tern) then stayed at KSTDC property at Jog ( did not appreciate it much after having seen Athirapilly falls at its grand) then we went to Kollur and then hit the Nh17 back to Thrissur.
Next time to Kollur visit Kodachadri you will love it , amazing scenery and an hour to trek too and not to miss out on the 45mts super jeep journey to the spot .
majumon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 16:47   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
Dhanush,, some of the snaps were amazing especially the shot from the top of jog and the old lady sleeping next to the corn ( this you could try to send it in a photography contest, has a lot of substance to it.

We had bee to Jog couple of years ago via Chickmangalore (jungle lodges river tern) then stayed at KSTDC property at Jog ( did not appreciate it much after having seen Athirapilly falls at its grand) then we went to Kollur and then hit the Nh17 back to Thrissur.
Next time to Kollur visit Kodachadri you will love it , amazing scenery and an hour to trek too and not to miss out on the 45mts super jeep journey to the spot .
Thanks Maju. I couldnt visit Kodachadri as i was in company of two small kids and I wasn't sure whether they would take it properly. I am looking forward to it on my next trip. Have heard a lot about it
Old 28th April 2013, 18:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Kollur- Jog Falls

After having done the due at Kollur the next day, we started by mid noon towards Jog Falls. The route followed was Kollur- Nagara- Hosanagar- Sagar- Jog Falls.

Attachment 1022386

I was wisely advised by BHPian hvkumar not to take the Nagara route. However on enquiring with the local drivers, I was told that the road is motorable and the devil had the better of me at that instant. Wish I could meet that local driver again that I could mash him up!!! The non existant roads all through till Sagar were pathetic at best. Anyone venturing, please don’t waste your efforts. Your vehicle would be much thankful to you. Going back to NH 17, proceeding to Honavar and then taking the diversion to Jog Falls would be much wiser. At the expense of a few extra kilometres, you will save a lot of time and the rollercoaster ride.

However, as the face saver, after Nagara we did encounter some scenic stretches.

Near Nagara Bidanur Fort

Attachment 1022410

Attachment 1022408

Attachment 1022409

We reached Jog by 1600 and from then the falls took us into its lap of mesmerising beauty.

Attachment 1022411

Attachment 1022412

I had to crawl onto a protruding boulder to get this top to down shot. Lying on my stomach on that rock, the view was breathtaking and the snap actually doesn't do any justice to the view.
S P E L L B O U N D ! ! !

Attachment 1022413

Attachment 1022414

Attachment 1022415

Attachment 1022416

Attachment 1022417

Dear Dhanush,

Awesome. Pics and the write up. I had done a similar trip to kollur with my parents and my brother years back. But I regret not going to kudajadiri mountains. I have been to Mookambika temple a lot of times.
Anyways thanks for reviving my memories.

Cheers
Old 28th April 2013, 19:20   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks buddy for the kind words. Even I look forward to visiting Kodachadri next time I visit Mookambika. Not sure when I will be gifted with an opportunity though. Till then, the wait continues
Old 29th April 2013, 08:25   #30
Team-BHP Support

@Dhanush,

Somehow I saw the initial page when you had written it and then missed seeing the rest. When it got bumped up, I read it once again. And so to say the least it was as refreshing as ever. Esp the colours of green in the morning hours are the best.

Amazing drive you had. Esp when you mention lazing around in the fifth gear on these roads. That speaks the best about the holiday!

Kollur-Jog is via Hosanagara is definitely a bad option. Nh17 is the shortest. Or you can re-trace back to Thirthahalli/Shimoga.

The other creepy route is via Kargal.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...h-india-5.html
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed