Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2013, 21:05   #16
BHPian

Re: South Indian Coast to Coast ride - 1975 kms, 7 days, 3 states

WOW! Cool ride ...it’s getting irresistible and a beautifully put TL, enjoyed reading your experiences immensely, eagerly looking forward to the rest.
ranjithpd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 22:46   #17
BHPian

Brilliant travelogue Naveen. Were you around Manayata today at about 5:00 pm? I saw a similar CBR at that time, waiting for someone.
BurningHeart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 22:55   #18
BHPian

Hats off to you for the wonderfully written TL! I literally sat and read the full report at one stretch leaving everything else as it is.
The number of bimmers and audis in Kerala are indeed crazy. BMW sold close to 70 cars just in Kochi in December.
Anyway, eagerly waiting for the rest of your report now! Do put it up soon.
275BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 10:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice read dude. And stop rubbing it in :P Was all prepared to meet up but as always, the morning had other ideas. Hee hee hee

Shall buy a tequila at Hard Rock or someplace next time we meet and we shall raise a toast [actually many toasts] to the gods of metal.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 00:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Am I so glad that you guys liked the pics and the ride report. It was biking heaven to be riding alone on these roads. I might do a shorter ride sometime - to make up for the ride I missed to Valparai and Pollachi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post

Some friends tell me that a few years back, they would even go further ahead into Dhanushkodi. I was even told that some years back, you could stay back at dusk and could see lights shimmering in neighbouring Sri Lanka. What I would have given to see that.
It was actually Mahesh - ku69rd from this forum who had mentioned to me about the lights from Sri Lanka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Indeed a neat one with set of good picture.

I did a similar but longer one in Dec '11 in my Laura with few of my friends. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-5-7-days.html

I am sure you will continue with the rest of the log and share more picture!
Wonderful trip there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Naveen, nice report and beautiful pictures. I am glad that you decided to ride solo when your friend backed off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Finally the report is out. Excellent !!
Would get in touch with you for more information on Dhanushkodi.
Thanks guys! Sure I can help rk_sans - with whatever little info I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggienomad View Post
That's a nice diamond shaped route! Pondicherry to Bangalore is a popular route. Surprising to find that roads from Tindivanam to Salem were not good.

Nice to see ECR (East Coast Road) project completed up to Tuticorin. Not sure whether it is completed till Tiruchendur (it wasn't when I visited there 3 years back).

The trip plan is nice. Not too taxing, and plenty of time to relax on the way. Eager to see your return trip photos & writeup.
Thanks! No Tindivanam to Salem - it was Tinidivanam to Pondicherry. But that section was good. Yes, don't think the ECR is done upto Tiruchendur. That was why I was advised to take Tuticorin route and then onto Tirunelveli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So finally there you are! Nothing better than a solo ride. And biking is even one step further ! Great writing and looking forward to more.
Thanks for the help when I was planning the route! Yes, biking alone - nirvana. And I did check out the temple at Thiruppulani too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithpd View Post
WOW! Cool ride ...it’s getting irresistible and a beautifully put TL, enjoyed reading your experiences immensely, eagerly looking forward to the rest.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
Brilliant travelogue Naveen. Were you around Manayata today at about 5:00 pm? I saw a similar CBR at that time, waiting for someone.
Thanks and no, wasn't me at Manyata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post
Hats off to you for the wonderfully written TL! I literally sat and read the full report at one stretch leaving everything else as it is.
The number of bimmers and audis in Kerala are indeed crazy. BMW sold close to 70 cars just in Kochi in December.
Anyway, eagerly waiting for the rest of your report now! Do put it up soon.
Thanks and yeah, got nearly run over by a car after Palakkad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Nice read dude. And stop rubbing it in :P Was all prepared to meet up but as always, the morning had other ideas. Hee hee hee

Shall buy a tequila at Hard Rock or someplace next time we meet and we shall raise a toast [actually many toasts] to the gods of metal.
Hahahahaha, can't stop laughing dude. Yes, the rounds are on you!

Will continue on the ride report - last 2 days.
Old 18th February 2013, 12:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Looking forward to the last few days of your TL. Hurry it up please. Lots of nice pics and writing style. We are all addicts here so feed the rush
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 14:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic TL you have written Naveen, felt that I was ghost riding alongside you. One of my to do circuits and it does give a lot of satisfaction when you do such rides all alone.
Keenly awaiting for the next couple of days so that I can reach Bangalore
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 18:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Day 9 - Dec 29 - 300 kms - Kochi to Perundurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Looking forward to the last few days of your TL. Hurry it up please. Lots of nice pics and writing style. We are all addicts here so feed the rush
Haha, thanks and we're off to the 9th day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Fantastic TL you have written Naveen, felt that I was ghost riding alongside you. One of my to do circuits and it does give a lot of satisfaction when you do such rides all alone.
Keenly awaiting for the next couple of days so that I can reach Bangalore
Thanks Mahesh. Satisfaction is an apt word.

Yes, Perundurai.

You might ask me why. Here's why...

My interim plan involved riding from Ernakulam to Valparai and then settle for the night at Pollachi. This didn't work out so I decided to ride on to Bangalore the same day. This would have been a distance of around 540 kms. Jijo and other friends had warned me that the Palakkad stretch was a little bad. Little is an understatement.

I started off in the morning from Ernakulam - after a nice breakfast. Roads were decent - a little too much traffic though. Reaching near Palakkad - or was it just after that, there is road work going on. As in a 2-lane road is just one lane now. And everybody wants to speed up. In fact, I nearly got swiped out by a speeding car coming in the opposite direction. I don't remember how long this bad road went on - but it seemed to go on for a really long time. Ratlling the bones. I somehow decided at that time that I would break the journey somewhere past Coimbatore and then ride on to Bangalore only the next day.

Adding to this - I got a bit of brake woes. I am not sure if it was my mind playing tricks on me or the real thing - I felt I was loosing some grip on the brakes. And this was also coupled with the bad sections of ghat road where I had to constantly hold on the brakes.

Well, I can only say that I was glad once the roads became fine. This was just after the toll-booth past Coimbatore. There was a spot of rain and I'd actually stopped to see if I needed to put on my rain-cover.

South Indian Coast to Coast ride - 1975 kms, 7 days, 3 states-p1010132.jpg
South Indian Coast to Coast ride - 1975 kms, 7 days, 3 states-p1010133.jpg

There was still road work going on but at least it became nice and smooth. I reached Avinashi around 1:30 or so in the afternoon. Very hungry and tired, I stopped off at some road side restaurant and had some awesome fried rice and chicken. I was just too tired to ride for at least an hour. But this at least energized me and I pushed on.

South Indian Coast to Coast ride - 1975 kms, 7 days, 3 states-img_20121229_135253.jpg

I reached Perundurai at around 3:00 and going past it, I took an U-turn under the bridge and went into Perundurai town. Good that there is a nice new hotel at the service road - Chinnis. The rates were damn cheap and I was too tired anyways. Settled in and was out like a light.

Woke up late in the evening and walked out for a nice dinner of Parottas with curry and a nice Omlette - made old style on a wood fire. Lovely, lipsmacking.

Settled down for the night with instructions to the manager that I would be leaving early in the morning. My only thought was that I missed the Pollachi - Valparai route. But I have decided to do that sometime soon.
naveenroy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 19:08   #24
BHPian

I was about to just lurk team-bhp and sign out and go back to the confines of my home when I chanced upon your travelogue. It is one thing to go the distance alone living your dream and another to capture your trip in such a way that you make the reader a virtual pillion rider on your escapades. Maybe you rode alone, but i feel, having read your posts end to end, that I was with you, right down to the back breaking pain of riding a two wheeler long distance. I am so glad that you have taken the time out to make us a part of your ride. Cant wait to read more. Keep it up.
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 14:17   #25
BHPian

Awesome Travelogue @Naveenroy!! Couldn't agree more with Neil, I'm almost so gripped that I think i rode pillion! Can't wait for your last leg completing the Diamond!

Also, I agree that Valparai/pollaci wud've been awesome Ride considering the Tea Estate countryside and breathtaking views!

More power to Riders like you! How I wish to do one now!! (Maybe soon! )
parassoni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 16:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Day 10 - Dec 30 - 280 kms - Perundurai to Bangalore

I am on the last leg - back to Bangalore.

I really appreciate you guys staying with me this long. And thanks to the people who have rated this thread 5 stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
It is one thing to go the distance alone living your dream and another to capture your trip in such a way that you make the reader a virtual pillion rider on your escapades. Maybe you rode alone, but i feel, having read your posts end to end, that I was with you, right down to the back breaking pain of riding a two wheeler long distance. I am so glad that you have taken the time out to make us a part of your ride. Cant wait to read more. Keep it up.
Glad you liked the trip and my style of writing has been inspired by travellers from ADVRider who really capture your imagination and keep you glued to their stories. Mine is on a much smaller scale and I hope to be able to write an "Around the World on a motorcycle" report some day.

Oh and I wouldn't really call it back-breaking pain. It is biking nirvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by parassoni View Post
Awesome Travelogue @Naveenroy!! Couldn't agree more with Neil, I'm almost so gripped that I think i rode pillion! Can't wait for your last leg completing the Diamond!

Also, I agree that Valparai/pollaci wud've been awesome Ride considering the Tea Estate countryside and breathtaking views!

More power to Riders like you! How I wish to do one now!! (Maybe soon! )
Thanks to you too. Well, it didn't turn out to be a diamond-shape in the end. You will see how it ended in this post. Yes, badly wanted to complete Valparai - Pollachi too but it didn't work out.

Yes, get out your bike and ride. Don't have one - buy one
------------------------
Since today was the last stretch - I wasn't too crazy about starting off too early. I'd already tanked up the previous night too. But I'd still woken up at 05:30 and slowly packed up my stuff. It finally struck me that my ride was nearing completion - and that I would have to go back to my monotonous work life soon afterwards. Stark reality.

Planned to have breakfast somewhere along the way and packed the bags on the bike. Thankfully the manager was awake since I had informed him the previous night. Settled the accounts and rode out of the hotel compound - great morning though. It had rained a bit during the night and the roads were clean and the sky looked great. Fresh morning air.

Caught up to the NH and rode on towards Salem. Empty roads and I noticed a couple of long riding bikers - one on Enfield and another on a Pulsar. I let them overtake me as I was maintaining a speed of around 80 kmph. It is a wonderful feeling to ride without any pressure - you are riding alone, setting your own pace and the road is yours to ride. There is no friend who is pushing hard - trying to break the speed barrier, you are not forced to keep up with him. No one asking you why you have a powerful bike and are not pushing it. Inner peace.

Heheh, philosophy aside - I really enjoyed this stretch between Perundurai and Salem. I haven't ridden on those roads before.

I soon reached Salem and decided to stop for breakfast. It was already trafficky and was missing the open roads. Stopped at some small roadside restaurant and had idlis - my staple diet for breakfast on this ride. Started off again and it was a smooth ride until Krishnagiri - where the diversions (for road work) started. Aaaargh - this stretch has become a nightmare with cars and buses and bikes travelling fast, then breaking hard to miss the barriers. Scary.

I reached Hosur and then Attibele - entering Karnataka. It was good to be back home.

I guess I was back home by around 2 in the afternoon.

Thankfully there were no breakdowns, no mishaps throughout the ride. Enjoyable - no incidents to leave a bad taste in the mouth and it all pretty well went to plan. Maybe there was a higher power watching over me.

As promised, here is the final route of the ride - and the days/dates/distances.

South Indian Coast to Coast ride - 1975 kms, 7 days, 3 states-routemap.jpg

I screwed up on the numbering in the posts though
Day 1 - 22nd Dec - 300 kms - Bangalore to Pondicherry
Day 2 - 23rd Dec - 170 kms - Pondicherry to Velankanni
Day 3 - 24th Dec - 300 kms - Velankanni to Rameshwaram, Dhanushkodi
Day 4 - 25th Dec - 300 kms - Rameshwaram to Nagercoil
Day 5 - 26th Dec - 20 kms - Nagercoil to Kanyakumari
Day 6 - 27th Dec - 0 kms - Nagercoil
Day 7 - 28th Dec - 300 kms - Nagercoil to Kochi
Day 8 - 29th Dec - 300 kms - Kochi to Perundurai
Day 9 - 30th Dec - 280 kms - Perundurai to Bangalore

All in all, a wonderful ride that I thoroughly enjoyed. Something that I wanted to do for a long time - and am glad that I could do it alone. If you really haven't ridden long distances alone - try it sometime - its really worth it.
naveenroy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 17:08   #27
BANNED

Re: Day 3 - 24th Dec - 300 kms - Velankanni to Rameshwaram, Dhanushkodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I would have loved to take my bike there but I am sure it would have just got stuck in the mud. And riding alone, didn't want to take that risk.
You could have taken the risk. I had ridden Don (my Bullet Electra) all the way to that church and I too was a solo rider. The tractor pulling first gear of Don too helped me very significantly.

Of course, the moment I rode past the shanties on the road leading to that sand track, almost everyone began to tell me not to go any further.

Thank you for rekindling my memories of Dhanushkodi..!!
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 17:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for feeding our addiction by promptly telling us tue rest of your trip.

Very nice ride and TL. Definitely worth the five star rating a lot of us gave it.

Glad that you had noissues with your bike. One of the joys of a good quality vehicle
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 09:20   #29
PVS
BHPian

That's an interesting ride naveen - enjoyed reading the report; written nicely. Thanks for sharing.
PVS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 13:50   #30
BHPian

Hey Naveen, you almost got a diamond didnt you? Maybe in the end it resembles a rough diamond, but a diamond it is!!

Also, I'm an avid Biker, and hardly Drive, Riding is my first preference anytime! I have a Yamaha Enticer and that's been my mate for a quite a few ~150km jaunts but no more!

Great Trip, and thanks for the Maps, it really helps put the trip in perspective and helps better planning! Cheers to you!
parassoni is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed