Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2013, 11:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Exploring Rameshwaram - From a Non Religious Perspective

Beautiful pictures of the trip Hari. I still wonder how did you got the ok from your PM for those early morning drive to tip of the land

Anyway, it seems to be worth it.
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 13:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hari so your daughters cold was from this trip eh ? Nice man, I saw the pictures on your FB album already. The train on the Pamban bridge is a keeper. I will call you in a few weeks time for this jeep drivers number. My better half was all ears when you mentioned Dhanushkodi at maggie's place .

On our drive back from maggie's place on 31st she was already making plans for the Rameshwaram trip
Yes, Riju, the after effect of the trip has affected all of us, even I have a sore throat and so does the wife. Will give you all the required info when we speak next.

Quote:
Awesome pictures and narration. The place looks tempting to make a trip, Did you manage to see the Ram Sethu? is it visible at all?

One of my friends did this trip last year and he seemed excited about the Jeep drive, described it as "Pedal to metal" drive. Did you face any problems with Safari on sand?

PS: Does the temple darshan has long queues, or its easy to quickly get in and out. How many hours should one plan?
Thanks Mayank, The Ram Sethu, if at all it exists cannot be seen, but a satellite pic of the place shows a very shallow sea between India and Sri Lanka.
The Safari did a good job on the sand, there were a few places which brought a rise in my heartbeat , but overall it was a good show as far as the car was concerned.
The temple darshan time depends on the season and the time of day, since currently the Sabarimala season is on, the crowds are bigger, but it's quite organised and should take a maximum of say an hour and a half from entry to exit in the normal darshan.

Quote:
Wonderful pictures and awesome narration! Thanks a ton for sharing. I felt as though I was there in Dhanushkodi!

Next in my list of places to visit for sure and I would contact you then for contact details of Kumaran.
Thank you h14, you can contact me anytime, would be happy to share the details.

Quote:
Mesmerizing log Luke. Thanks for sharing. The pics and places captured are awesome. But what I absolutely loved are the Stance of the Black Storm in the sand and the surroundings, its a Killer!

Also, is it possible for you to get the map of the locations on sat gmap?
Thank you Parsh, I do not have a GPS plot of my route, but the same is available on google maps or google earth, just search for Dhanushkodi, Rameshwaram and you have it, of course the trails shown on google maps are quite different from reality.

Quote:
Beautiful pictures of the trip Hari. I still wonder how did you got the ok from your PM for those early morning drive to tip of the land

Anyway, it seems to be worth it.
Mahesh, you know how it works in my place, the rants are just a token of protest so they can pounce on me if something indeed went wrong, but thankfully nothing of the sort happened.
Old 4th January 2013, 17:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Lovely Hari.......I loved the pictures of Dhansuhkodi. It is high time that the government declare it as a heritage site and preserve the ruins.

BTW, What about your tryst with Karaikkudi?? Do we wait for more???
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 19:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful. I was surprised why you went to Dhanushkodi leaving behind your safari. It must have cried so badly. But felt nice to see you decided to do another trip !!

I really liked that smile on little one in water. Full of satisfaction.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 20:39   #20
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue. The photos were a treat to watch.

The ones of railway on the bridge look amazing.

And awesome exploits with the beast (Safari) on the beach! It aptly reminds of "Reclaim Your Life" ad! Ain't it?
mayuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 20:46   #21
BHPian

I always wanted to visit Rameshwaram but never found the opportunity. Did you check if the well that is well into the sea, has potable water? Also people spoke of 'floating rocks'. Did you see any?
Old 4th January 2013, 21:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lovely Hari.......I loved the pictures of Dhansuhkodi. It is high time that the government declare it as a heritage site and preserve the ruins.

BTW, What about your tryst with Karaikkudi?? Do we wait for more???
Fauji sir, coming from you it means a lot, your tips on the Biriyani joint was spot on, and yes, about Dhanushkodi being protected is worth a serious thought, it saddened me to see plastic water bottles strewn around on the sands.
we did not detour towards Karaikudi this time, but am sure we will soon.

Quote:
Wonderful. I was surprised why you went to Dhanushkodi leaving behind your safari. It must have cried so badly. But felt nice to see you decided to do another trip !!

I really liked that smile on little one in water. Full of satisfaction.
Rajshenoy, thanks, more than the Safari, I'd have cried if I had missed the opportunity.

Quote:
Wonderful travelogue. The photos were a treat to watch.
Thanks Mayuresh..

Quote:
I always wanted to visit Rameshwaram but never found the opportunity. Did you check if the well that is well into the sea, has potable water? Also people spoke of 'floating rocks'. Did you see any?
BurningHeart, you must find the opportunity and visit, some of the beaches can give international beaches a run for their money, yes, although I did not taste the water from the well, I was told that it has potable water, we saw similar wells on the beach at Dhanushkodi (here we did taste the water) which had potable water. There is a makeshift temple at Dhanushkodi which displays the floating rock, we saw it, I did not click pictures as I did not enter the temple as I was too lazy to take off my shoes .
Old 6th January 2013, 20:18   #23
BHPian

Great TL there. Reminds me of my drive in 2005, my first long drive in the Getz.
The early morning drive on the sands must have been one unforgettable experience
Old 7th January 2013, 20:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Super travelogue Hari!!! Never knew you had written the travelogue till I bumped into it just now. The last time I went to Rameshwaram was in 1995 (or 96). Back then we stayed in a choultry for the night as we could not find any hotel. It was one scary night though.

I remember we had gone out for a boat ride just off the coast to see corals. Did you hear anything about coral reefs during your trip? Apparently Rameshwaram had beautiful corals in the surrounding area.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 16:13   #25
BHPian

Fantastic TL Sir

An amazing place looked even more amazing with your pics.

And the beast experience with last tip of country looked jaw dropping.

Lastly, i believe the experience of watching a train passing over pumbum bridge must have been an ultimate one.
pushpender_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 17:12   #26
BHPian

Amazing Shots and an entertaining narration.I have been to most of the places you mentioned but still can feel the same fresh air ,breath taking view and stunning landscape while reading your blog. Rameshwaram used to be one of the best tourist places in TN ,but now a days very commercialized and getting dirtier day by day .Danushkodi is a pure example if we don't protect and preserve nature ,we will lose what we have.,
Thil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:34   #27
BHPian

Excellent write up.
You wrote half of the story and your pictures spoke the other half.
By the way, one interesting information, whether you knew it or it was mere coincident, I don't know, Almost exactly the same dates of your visit to Dhanushkodi, i.e. between 22nd December midnight and 25th December evening, in 1964, A cyclonic storm with high velocity winds and high tidal waves hit Dhanushkodi and left it in the present condition. If at all your wife and Mom knew this factum of similarity in the dates earlier?
vskesavan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, one interesting information, whether you knew it or it was mere coincident, I don't know, Almost exactly the same dates of your visit to Dhanushkodi, i.e. between 22nd December midnight and 25th December evening, in 1964, A cyclonic storm with high velocity winds and high tidal waves hit Dhanushkodi and left it in the present condition. If at all your wife and Mom knew this factum of similarity in the dates earlier?
Wow, thanks Kesavan for pointing the eerie fact. Now that you mentioned it, I googled it (was meaning to do it for a long time) and now feel overwhelmed. Had I known the tragic past of the place when I was there, I'd surely have shown more respect to it.
Luckily, our family is quite ok with superstitions and I doubt if the info would have freaked them out, but yes, we surely would have spent some minutes in remembering the lives lost.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 23:02   #29
Team-BHP Support

Beautifully captured images. The best part is a perspective from a traveller's point of view. Very true to the title.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Wow, thanks Kesavan for pointing the eerie fact. Now that you mentioned it, I googled it (was meaning to do it for a long time) and now feel overwhelmed. Had I known the tragic past of the place when I was there, I'd surely have shown more respect to it.
Luckily, our family is quite ok with superstitions and I doubt if the info would have freaked them out, but yes, we surely would have spent some minutes in remembering the lives lost.
Infact a memorial erected near the Dhanushkodi bus stand reads as follows:
"A cyclonic storm with high velocity winds and high tidal waves hit Dhanushkodi town from 22 December 1964 midnight to 25 December 1964 evening causing heavy damages and destroying the entire town of Dhanushkodi" (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhanushkodi)

I was in Rameshwaram several times, but, never went to Dhanushkodi, inspite of my grandparents often told me about the storm hit Dhanushkodi.
So, I think, if your family knew the facts earlier, their thrill would have multiplied and all of you would have moved emotionally also . Anyways, this will not happen to all. You are lucky to be the part of this coincidence.

Last edited by vskesavan : 23rd January 2013 at 07:16. Reason: Added more information.

Most Viewed