Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2013, 01:58   #1
BHPian

3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga

A holiday for and with the elders. It had been a while since we had taken a family holiday. A holiday that was founded on the values that are so solid in our tradition, our culture - the family, extended family, relatives, the respect for elders, their happiness and of course people I would call in the middle of the night - friends.

This travelogue is dedicated to the elders of the family. And what better way to have a holiday - take the vehicle you love, drive out with immediate family - wife and elderly in laws almost 3800 kms across KA, MH, GJ and RJ to meet the extended family far away in the state of Gujarat. Get the drift?

Come to think of it, sometimes in the fast pace of life, in between the presentations, the deadlines, the project deliverables, the various business travels and what not, we put on backburner how important the extended family also is. The happiness elders will feel upon meeting folks from their generation. Their tales of an era of trunk call phone booking, of telegrams, of writing letters, of standing at queues in banks with tokens, of waiting for a black and white movie every Sunday evening on Doordarshan. This was their holiday. We just enabled it for their happiness and ours too. Its just another aspect of our culture - respect for elders and their happiness.

So, the idea of a holiday, that meant we drove and drove to go and meet extended family and along the way all the friends. Of course, a ripe opportunity to also see the beautiful country. The varied topography that changed from green Karnataka to western ghats of Maharashtra to industrial Gujarat to dry and scant vegetation and Aravalli hills of south Rajasthan.

The route and cities we crossed
Bangalore - Belgaum - Pune - Mumbai - Surat - Baroda - Ahemdabad - Mehsana - Mount Abu and back

The states we drove through
Karnataka - Maharashtra - Gujarat - Rajasthan

Based ourselves in Baroda for a couple of days and additional side trip Baroda - Ahemdabad - Mehsana - Palanpur - Mount Abu and back to Baroda. The thought being while at Baroda why miss Mount Abu - its closeby within 600 kms. Its nothing when compared to HVK who would drive from Mumbai to Delhi and say Kashmir is just closeby.

Return trip from Baroda to Mumbai to Pune to Hubli to Bangalore. Plus local driving within Mumbai and Pune.

Total trip of 3769 kms. Days - 26 Jan to 3 Feb.

Vehicle - Ertiga ZDI

In the cabin - at the wheel (yours truly), navigator (better half), passengers (in laws).

What all did we do -

1. We spent quality time with family and added smiles to the faces of our elders.
2. We met relatives whom we had not met for a couple of years
3. We drove long hours, we drove through moonlit nights
4. We saw very large trucks, very very large trucks
5. We saw very large traffic jam and very very large traffic jam
6. We saw wonderful highways and felt happy that the taxes we pay do translate into development.
7. We saw plains, we saw the forest, we saw the desert, we saw the hills, we crossed the ghats.
8. We saw a magnificent palace, we saw a great historical monument.
9. We saw a temple and we saw an old museum.
10. We spent quality time with family and made sure our elders were happy.

Wait a minute. Come again. Did I say in-laws in a long road trip?

Just some opening shots

The stead at a friend's farmhouse in Pune
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-img_8828-1024x768.jpg

A building in Mount Abu
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-img_8549-1024x768.jpg

The sun setting in Mount Abu
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-img_8542-1024x768.jpg

The Laxmi Nivas Palace in Baroda
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc08049-1024x768.jpg

The Laxmi Nivas Palace Baroda - Another view
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc08133-1024x768.jpg

Last edited by Rajain : 21st February 2013 at 22:56.
Rajain is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 08:12   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
A holiday for and with the elders. It had been a while since we had taken a family holiday. A holiday that was founded on the values that are so solid in our tradition, our culture - the family, extended family, relatives, the respect for elders, their happiness and of course people I would call in the middle of the night - friends.

Wow, a nice teaser. Bring on the whole story. The opening snaps are real good.
Old 21st February 2013, 09:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga

Hi Rajain, fantastic travelogue & thanks for sharing. We want more pictures, keep'em coming.

It reminded me of my trip that I did in Feb 2010, in my humble Indica, crossed 7 states (MH, GJ, RJ, HR, DL, UP & MP), 8 National highways (NH4, NH8, NH14, NH76, NH79, NH2, NH3, NH50), two expressways (Mumbai-Pune & Baroda-Ahmedabad, NE1) & several state highways. 50+ toll booths.

I am now inspired by your travelogue. As soon as I find some time, I will try to pen down my travelogue

Edit: Please provide captions to the pictures. I could make out the date tress of Mount Abu, but the palaces, which are those?

Last edited by AutoIndian : 21st February 2013 at 09:25.
Old 21st February 2013, 22:36   #4
BHPian

Day 1 Jan 26 Bangalore to Pune
Distance Travelled 910 kms

For a trip this long and given the passengers, the word planning becomes crucial. In any case planning is key for any trip. I am of the belief that a bottle of water, mobile charger, a torch, an umbrella and a packet of biscuits should always be in a vehicle even if the travel distance is Mumbai to Pune or even Bangalore to Hosur!

For some reason, quite unexplainable, the days prior to travelling (just about anywhere) get very busy at work. For the planning such a trip requires I had set aside space on the floor of one of the rooms in the house to get all the stuff from all the passengers so that I am able to know what is needed, what is duplicate and where all it fits. Prior trips have been successful with this approach.

But then this was the trip with the difference...in laws as passengers. As it turned out several bags, were still left as they had to be packed only on the last morning. So in spite of the best efforts the luggage from all was not all ready and I could not pack it up in the vehicle a day prior. I always try my best that before a long travel, I have a good night sleep, get up relaxed, fresh up and start. What I prefer not to do is try to fill up the vehicle, cart the bags around, lug the load and unnecessarily tire myself with this work in the hours before the drive. But this was the drive with the difference...in laws. And guess what try influencing in laws and see the amount of success. But then again, it is a holiday for the elders...so everything is excused.

This means that instead of starting at 6 AM for the long almost 900 kms journey from Bangalore to Pune we end up starting at 9 AM. The packing in the vehicle was done to keep open spaces inside the cabin and allow for the middle bench to be flattened so as to allow for a bed. The comfort of the passengers and the space utilization were key. So the 60:40 split of the middle bench comes into play. For the rest of the bags – light weight and larger ones go on top inside the Thule. Bags that will be needed for the night halt at Pune, Wakkad Ginger are kept inside. With 4 passengers it makes sense to flatten the last bench anyway. With the last bench folded down there is enough space available that Thule won’t be needed at all. But then the sleep option on a flat bed is ruled out.

Checking with everyone and it is established that Thule is on, sleeper bed will be needed. Additionally, there are small bags for medicines, dry rations, a few packets of ready to eat, tea, sugar, milk, 25 ltrs of water, a toilet tent, even a plastic stool and of course the GPS (2 of them actually-the Sat Nav and the smartphone google maps). They were both used extensively in the days to come.

Our first stop was Café Coffee day just around Tumkur and we sped off again in less than 10 minutes. I kept a steady 110 kmph. With 4 passengers, bags and supplies for 9days I was curious to see the behavior of the Ertiga. First I upped the tyre pressure. The manual recommends 2 separate tyre pressures for upto 4 passengers and a higher pressure if the load is higher. While the passengers were 4 but I decided that given the weight of the bags and supplies I wanted the higher tyre pressure (good for 5or more passengers) . Good thing that I did so because in Baroda 8 passengers sat in the vehicle.

I was straining my ears to pick up a noise that was coming up after I crossed 90-100 kmph. I thought the culprit is a loose torch in one of the door panels – nope. Oh maybe it is an induction stove we have – nope; or maybe the 2 steel glasses – nope. Can’t find. We move on. The noise remains. TSK1979 would relate – a faint vibration sound above the speeds of 90-100 kmph. And guess what no one in the vehicle hears it. Only me. But its there. We shut the music try to hear but I don’t want the passengers to be alarmed. We move on.

Upto Chitradurga several bridges are being redone and there was constant up and down from the highway. This meant that for every bridge at least 4-5 extra minutes were being consumed translating into easily 1 hour of delay. We have done house to house Bangalore - Pune in 11 hours but this one I could make out would take upto 13 hours. Thankfully Ginger at Wakkad is on the highway so it does help if there is no work inside Pune.

As the sun went up and shone bright a wide variety of songs continued and slowly passengers started dozing off. This meant I had to be really alert, so a fresh pen drive comes out and the music is changed. Miles go by, tollgates go by, the landscape changes and we keep making progress. I keep thinking that I would have to do atleast 4 hours of night time driving. A couple of smaller bio stops, fuel stop between Hubli-Dharwad (there are COCO bunks on both sides of the highway) and march on.

Along the highway comes a Rajasthan dhaba and everyone looks hungry. So we stop. Clean toilet and modest food. I eat less (only on long drives though) and we quickly move on. The bed is laid out and in turns passengers go off to sleep. Kohlapur McDonald is our next stop where we halt for burger, ice cream and coffee plus clean toilet. We are off again in about 20 minutes and the sun is about setting. Pune is still 2.5-3 hours away.

Earlier in the day I have used less traffic, good highways and sleeping passengers to gain some time. Between Kolhapur and Pune the road has a few small potholes (hello NHAI we paid tolls) plus there is car and two wheeler traffic and Ertiga does not cross 100. Driving safely and navigating through we arrive at the couple of tunnels and then finally around 10 PM cross Katraj stop some place, have a quick dinner and reach Ginger hotel by 11 PM.

First day was long, travel weary in laws are asking how much more to go. The long distance for them is the distance between Solan to Shimla (HP – 1.5 hrs!) So 875 kms is a long distance. I am trying to explain to them the distance … Chandigarh to Delhi into 3…does not mean a whole lot. Ok so be it. We call it a day at Ginger in Pune. Not before I have answered a few questions to some other long distance travelers who are also off-loading.

So how did the Ertiga do?

In one word outstanding. We have done Bangalore-Pune or Bangalore-Mumbai runs several times in the past. Opel Corsa Sail used to be our trusted stead.

But what about Ertiga - as I lay resting after a hard day’s work these were the thoughts –

1. Lovely straight line stability

2. Holds speeds very well. Even at 100kmph press the accelerator and there is a surge.

3. The setting in the RD box was always P1

4. There is negligible wind resistance from the Thule

5. Outside noise is really less. Sound insulation impresses

6. Braking is very good. ABS certainly makes a difference.

7. Seating sleeping options make this a lovely long distance vehicle.

8. The music system is outstanding. Stock head unit, JBL amp, component, co-ax and tweeters.

9. The auto locking as soon as 20 kmph comes up, the door ajar warning work very well.

10. The Yokohamas (205/60 R-15) had good grip and almost no tyre noise.

Distance travelled 910 kms

Fuel filled – 1200 Rs between Hubli-Dharwad.

I will have consolidated average at the end of the entire journey. The MID is showing 18.10 kms per ltr. AC on 100% of the time. Load is 4 passengers plus luggage.

5 Long distance travel tips

1. Drive out fresh; sleep well and eat measured. Never have uncooked meals or water from roadside places

2. Get the vehicle serviced well (our is new but did see the 2nd service)

3. Focus, focus, focus. Never for even a second let the concentration waver. If you feel sleepy, stop and take a power nap.

4. Try to drive as much as possible in the day. Even with the best of headlamps nothing can compare to daylight.

5. Night travel has its own advantages but perhaps slightly more disadvantages over day time driving.

Some pictures from day 1

The Jain temple on the way
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc00199-1024x768.jpg

Shots on the highway - Roads of my country (not country roads!)
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07871-1024x768.jpg

A fuel bunk next to The Cafe Coffee Day - UV not Thirsty yet
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07872-1024x768.jpg

The Cafe Coffee Day - Quick Chai er coffee stop
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07873-1024x768.jpg

Thats what most of us do - Live to Drive
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07877-1024x768.jpg

Windmills Along the way - Don't get blown away
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07879-1024x768.jpg

More Windmills - Of the mind anyone?
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07881-1024x768.jpg

Its a long journey ahead - Miles to go before I sleep
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07880-1024x768.jpg

At a roadside Dhaba - Even Ertiga gets ventilated
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07884-1024x768.jpg

A side pose - Imposing to say the least
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07886-1024x768.jpg

Last edited by Rajain : 21st February 2013 at 22:52.
Rajain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 16:12   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues` Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 18:09   #6
BHPian

Very purposeful looking steed! Everything you need when that loong road beckons.

Do you keep the Thule box on all the time, or install it only for your trips? Do you notice any buffeting or wind noise at high speeds on the highway?
John is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 18:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Lovely TL and superb pictures. Feels like I'm almost there!

Do keep posting. And may I ask what is the function of that appendage on the roof?
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 19:14   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

2. Holds speeds very well. Even at 100kmph press the accelerator and there is a surge.
Quote:
3. The setting in the RD box was always P1
RD box makes a difference here, no?

Quote:
5. Outside noise is really less. Sound insulation impresses
Yokos are to be thanked here?

Quote:
6. Braking is very good. ABS certainly makes a difference.
Did you come across panic braking situations for ABS activation?

I really really enjoyed reading your log & I personally love these Bombay/Pune to Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi trips much much more than your Leh trips. can't wait for your next post.

Thanks for sharing
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Very purposeful looking steed! Everything you need when that loong road beckons.

Do you keep the Thule box on all the time, or install it only for your trips? Do you notice any buffeting or wind noise at high speeds on the highway?
Thank you. Its a nice crossover. Checks all the right boxes.

Actually I would prefer to take the Thule box off. It does give me some height restrictions especially in basements of malls. But alas I don't have space in my apartment to keep it. So it stays on top and I am just mindful of it being on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Lovely TL and superb pictures. Feels like I'm almost there!

Do keep posting. And may I ask what is the function of that appendage on the roof?
Thank you. I think driving was easier than having a quality travelogue!
The appendage on top is a roof top box for carrying lagguage.

It comes from a company called Thule. You would have seen several open roof top carriers, this one is closed. Makes it dustproof, waterproof and its lockable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
RD box makes a difference here, no?

Yokos are to be thanked here?

Did you come across panic braking situations for ABS activation?

I really really enjoyed reading your log & I personally love these Bombay/Pune to Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi trips much much more than your Leh trips. can't wait for your next post.

Thanks for sharing
RD box does make a difference. There is extra power when needed, there is economy when needed and there is a little bit of both. All through the entire journey of 3800 kms the RD box remained on P1 setting - that is both extra economy and extra power.

The sound insulation is good and not just Yokos to be thanked the overall sound insulation/bidding on the doors need to be thanked. Maruti has been able to create a silent cabin. Outside sound is really well kept away.

Yes there were a few instances of sudden braking where ABS certainly helped. There were instances of sudden braking from 100 kmph plus speed. Yes the ABS and EBD is a worth investing in feature. I am assuming so are ESP and traction control but Ertiga does not have it.

Thank you for your kind words. We do travel a fair bit. Have done several Bangalore-Pune/Mumbai runs and given the good highways one can think of doing Chennai-Mumbai or Mumbai-Delhi in less than 20 hrs. HVK regularly does Mumbai-Delhi starting at 2 or 3 AM and ending the day just outside Delhi (mostly Shahpur) by 10 PM. I have done Bangalore-Mumbai (starting HSR in south Bangalore to Dadar) in 14.5 hrs.

Two years ago 2 of my friends driving a Mitshubishi Outlander did Leh - Srinagar 13 hrs, Srinagar - Ludhiana 14 hrs, Ludhiana - Udaipur 14 hrs and Udaipur - Pune 15 hrs. That time 2 of us from Bangalore and another 9 from Pune had driven up to Leh.

The countryside is so unique and highway gives such a unique feeling. More updates on this travel coming up. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Rajain : 23rd February 2013 at 12:56.
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 13:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Wow, a nice teaser. Bring on the whole story. The opening snaps are real good.
Thank you. Having driven the entire length I personally did not take many pictures. Majority of the pictures are taken by my better half. We do carry an easy to use camera which has routine pencil cells - so charging in the vehicle is easy and in emergency usual duracell come to assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hi Rajain, fantastic travelogue & thanks for sharing. We want more pictures, keep'em coming.

It reminded me of my trip that I did in Feb 2010, in my humble Indica, crossed 7 states (MH, GJ, RJ, HR, DL, UP & MP), 8 National highways (NH4, NH8, NH14, NH76, NH79, NH2, NH3, NH50), two expressways (Mumbai-Pune & Baroda-Ahmedabad, NE1) & several state highways. 50+ toll booths.

I am now inspired by your travelogue. As soon as I find some time, I will try to pen down my travelogue

Edit: Please provide captions to the pictures. I could make out the date tress of Mount Abu, but the palaces, which are those?
Thank you for your kind words. Yes more pictures have just been uploaded. The opening ones were teasers but I have also listed out the places. I am also writing some highway driving tips. Some of this is logical but always good to bear in mind.

I think sometime either in 1994 or 95 I had done a long Gurgaon to Bangalore in a Maruti 800 in 4 driving days and you can imagine none of the highways were what they are today. I can relate to your experience of driving through a number of states. Prior of 1994, sometime in 1991 or 92 I had driven a Fiat from Shivpuri (MP) to Karnal (Haryana) in one day - thereby driving on NH 3 (Agra Bombay highway); NH -2 (Calcutta-Delhi) and NH - 1 (Delhi - Karnal) section.

Stay tuned for more updates.
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 15:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:

5 Long distance travel tips

Drive out fresh; sleep well and eat measured. Never have uncooked meals or water from roadside places

Try to drive as much as possible in the day. Even with the best of headlamps nothing can compare to daylight.
Very Interesting Narration. Keep the TL rolling, I am glued to it. I agree with your long distance travel tips especially the 'Drive as much as possible in the day'. I too practice the same during my trips.
Night_Hawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 22:40   #12
BHPian

Day 2 Jan 27, Sunday, Pune to Baroda
Distance travelled 570 kms

I had asked everyone to sleep at least 7 hours and that’s what everyone did. I was actually the first to get up around 7.30. Tea done, phones put on charge and I go down to the vehicle. Intrigued even more by what that noise is above 90-100 kmph.

Like every morning I check vehicle vitals. They are all good. Engine oil is slightly dropped. Like a couple of millimeters. I don’t think much about it and start cleaning up the vehicle. Soon others are up and bags start coming down. Packing is the same but this time I keep all suspected clattering bags up into Thule on the roof top. Also staying at Ginger is someone who has driven in from Ahemdabad in an Audi. We catch up, exchange travel notes as I fill up Thule and set up the bed by flattening the middle (40:60) and the last seat.

At 9 AM we move out. First stop is to tank up. There is actually enough fuel to get us to Mumbai but I like it filling up. Wish we could have waited till Lonavala as there is a COCO. But anyway, diesel in the tanks we start with the thought that we’ll have a brunch stop at Lonavala. Another stop for some other item someone wanted to check and we are on the way.

The Mumbai-Pune expressway hs always been outstanding. We steady at 110kmph but guess what – dispite my best effort that noise is still there. Of course, again no one else can hear it but strain my ears and I know there is noise. Its like some plastic hitting against something metallic. My mind starts to think which surfaces are these and where in the vehicle should I look for a contact of these 2 surfaces. All the class 7 and 8 lessons of physics - sound and vibration come and go through the head.

Meanwhile, I am reminded that we don't have a pollution under control certificate. The vehicle is new but we should still be having it. We come across numerous PUC vans, stop by and pick up a certificate and continue rolling. We stop by for breakfast. My mind once again goes to the noise. As others fresh up, order food, go through sundry tuck shops I strain myself trying to find what surface is giving birth to such a sound. Pao bhaji takes my mind off it but only briefly. And we move on. Slowly people start dozing off and my plea to remain awake and see the countryside has little impact. Music changes and I park the speed at 110kmph. Still straining my ear for the sound.

Soon we come to the end of the expressway and its time to understand what route. From various HVK travelogues I have understood there is a route that helps bypass Mumbai. Thane-Belapur-Ghodbundar. We ask at a couple of places and use GPS for the most part and arrive at Fountain hotel for the next break just around 1.15 PM.

A short light lunch and I feel sleepy. So the bed in the vehicle comes to good use. A quick 15 minute nap really helps while others look around the various nick around. A good 45 minute stop and at 2 PM we depart. Our destination for the day is Baroda and a good 390 odd kms away. Fresh after the nap we start and its lovely roads that help the mile munching. Soon all passengers sleep off and I soldier along. One tea stop somewhere and we continue to make good progress. Gujarat border comes and we are making fast progress.

The conversation goes on towards Amitabh Bachchan's Gujarat tourism campaign. "Kuch din to gujareye Gujarat mein". It's good to be in the state and we look forward to the next few days. The quality of the roads continues to impress and I am getting hopeful that we will save some time and arrive at Baroda, Uncle’s place well in time for dinner. A couple of rivers pass and then it strikes me that in various other travelogues it is recommended to avoid the Narmada bridge. But everyone is sleeping and I decided not to wake up the home ministry to google it. Lo and behold we arrive at a long bridge which it says is Narmada bridge. Lovely no jam and we are through. Was this is the bridge they used to say has long traffic jam. Well this was easy and quick. Almost did not realize this was the Narmada bridge. Cool. I press along and we continue the progress.

Soon enough Baroda is approaching and the home stretch for the passengers. Last 2 hour. Last 1 hour. The elders in the vehicle are waking up and counting hours. Ok its been a second long day for them in the vehicle but their excitment is more around meeting relatives. Its been a long couple of days and we exit the highway to enter Baroda at 7.30 PM. Based off on Uncle’s direction I feed in a location in the map and reach there faster than he thought we would have arrived. We reach the destination – a small eating joint opposite a school and there is also a florist. I end up buying flowers for my wife as we wait for the Uncle. Soon he arrives and we head to his home which is closeby. We are all thrilled to see him.

I have actually never been to this house and have met the Uncle in other family events. Its great to meet Aunty and Uncle. They are retired people who are really happy to see us. Its an amazing feeling to see that the senior citizens are very happy. Very happy to see that we came across half the country to see them.

Ultimately it is about the great Indian family and the values we learn from the elders.

What about Ertiga - as I lay resting after a hard day’s work these were the thoughts –

a) I have already spoken about the high speed capability. I also realised braking is equally good. ABS with EBD is very useful.

b) The space utilisation, seating and sleeping options make it really versitile.

c) The steering is light and responsive. There is reasonable feedback about the road conditions

d) A car's suspension is of course set up differently. Opel certainly had a better ride quality but with all the other attributes Ertiga continues to impress

e) The OEM headlamp is plain poor. I had upgraded to Osram 90/100 which packed up in the day. The journey continued because I have Light Force.

Distance travelled 570 kms
Fuel filled – Rs 1300 at Pune.

The MID showed 17.90 kmpl. AC on 100% of the time. Load remains 4 passengers plus bags.

Some pictures from the day

The Ginger at Wakkad in Pune
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07889-1024x768.jpg

The Pune-Mumbai Expressway
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07890-1024x768.jpg

3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07891-1024x768.jpg

The Pune-Mumbai Expressway - Opposite the Pune Warriors Stadium
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07894-1024x768.jpg

3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07896-1024x768.jpg

3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07897-1024x768.jpg

3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07905-1024x768.jpg

The beautiful countryside
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07903-1024x768.jpg

The place we stopped for breakfast
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07906-1024x768.jpg

Parked next to a big brother
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07907-1024x768.jpg

At Fountain Hotel Godbundar
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07911-1024x768.jpg

A service stop in Gujarat
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07915-1024x768.jpg

Sunset
3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07918-1024x768.jpg

3,800 kms across 4 States in 9 Days - A Family Sojourn in 'LUV' Ertiga-dsc07919-1024x768.jpg

Another set of long distance travel tips -

a) Try and do some more research and map out COCO bunks. I missed one and should have taken fuel there. No loss though but a COCO
fuel is always better.

b) OEM headlamps need to upgraded. A standard 55/60 w is too little. At least upgrade to 90/100 w. To think of it the high beam failed and thankfully I had Light Force. Also thankfully, we were driving on a 4-6 lane highway otherwise in a 2 lane highway I would not use Light Force. Through a dark night the lights of the vehicle are essential.

c) We were lucky to get past the Narmada bridge without getting stuck. Doing more research helps. On our way back I saw a 7-8 kms long traffic jam heading towards Delhion the same bridge. Lucky, we were on the other side.

d) Always have a clean windshield. Even a washer and wiper do a good job. Accumulated dust slowly reduces visibility. By evening the light does scatter more.

e) At a high speed winds perpendicular to the road may impact vehicle navigation. I have a Thule roof top box so I paid more attention to this. Nothing that was worrying though.

Cheers

Last edited by Rajain : 23rd February 2013 at 22:48.
Rajain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 22:30   #13
BHPian

Excellent report and narration rajain!

What was the issue with the Headlight.the bulbs blew?

I too get new rattles every day in my ertiga.its difficult to pinpoint the source.thinking of renaming it as rattle van!
ad75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 11:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Really nice travelogue with clean and crisp writing. I knew what you were talking about the availability of the surge even after 110 kph. Thats what the RD box helps with the 1.3 MJD. By the way how are the diversions between Tumkur and Hubli, are these done or still under construction?
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 10:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
Excellent report and narration rajain!

What was the issue with the Headlight.the bulbs blew?

I too get new rattles every day in my ertiga.its difficult to pinpoint the source.thinking of renaming it as rattle van!
Hi - No idea why the headlight on high beam gave up on me. Second time in life that Osram gave up. In my Opel 8-9 years ago the Osram blew up and now in Ertiga. Even that time I had moved to Philips and now as well. The Philips 90/100 in Opel are still sailing. Hopefully that won't happen now. The relay is Philips.

At Pratham in ORR, Bangalore I realised they checked the rattles very well and sorted them out. This is what they did - started and switched off several times, then revved high, then they have a small multi bump track (no more than 10 yards) and drove on it to hear. Once they did so, the SA moved around the cabin writing down whatever he could (to be the source of the rattles). When they returned me the vehicle after service not even one rattle is there. Good job done in trying to locate the rattles and fixing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Really nice travelogue with clean and crisp writing. I knew what you were talking about the availability of the surge even after 110 kph. Thats what the RD box helps with the 1.3 MJD. By the way how are the diversions between Tumkur and Hubli, are these done or still under construction?
Hi - Thank you. You are generous with your words. Yes the RD box keeps that surge, and to steady the vehicle between 100-120 kmph I think its really well settled to respond to that requirement. Overtaking does not need downshifting rather a tap on the accelerator enough. And that too with the people and bags I had. Most often even slight inclines were tackled without downshifting.

The diversions between Tumkur and Hubli are very much still on. They overall increase driving time by approx 1 to 1.5 hr between Bangalore-Pune.

Stay tuned. Thanks for following. More coming up.

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks