Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2013, 23:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Going solo at 5 kmph - Mumbai to Goa in an inflatable kayak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Wow! What an adventure!

Do tell us if you faced with issues from the Coast Guard, or if you had already sought permission :-)

Eagerly waiting for more :-)
Thanks - I had an encounter with the coast guard in a very dramatic manner, more on that later

I did not take any permissions - for vessels which are not mechanically propelled, there are no restrictions. But I got into trouble never the less - the blogs for day 7 would have the how and why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Wow! Outstanding travelogue Kamen_rider. Both the adventure and your language.

Glued to the thread. Keep it going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
This, by far, is the most fascinating and unique travelogue I have ever read on team-bhp and in general ! Hats off!

Kudos to your determination and effort, not just for the journey itself, but also for training and practicing to do such an adventurous journey, that too all this in a kayak!
Eagerly awaiting the rest of the journey and travelogue! Rated a well-deserved 5 stars (wishing I could rate more than 5 though).
Thank you gents! Your kind words will keep me going - more soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post
You must be physically very fit and atheletic. Also share your fitness regimen prior to the trip.
Thanks! I am moderately fit, but not athlete level fit. But yes, I did train certain muscle groups for this trip, more on that in the 2nd post on the 1st page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
For now my priority is entire west-coast. Kanyakumari to Gujrat on bike. Hope I will have saved enough leaves by diwali for the same. For now I will FEAST upon your travelogue to quench the thirst

Thanks for the tip . Will surely check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
2 weeks back I was at the REI store in Seattle and wanted to buy so much stuff. It's a place where you can spend a day and not get bored. Wish there are cheaper ways to bring stuff back from USA.
Yes, REI is a candy store for a lot of people. I spent so much money there, it is not even funny. Luckily I hand carried a lot of the stuff I bought from REI so did not have to pay anything extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
This is the epic. Haven't come across a more adventurous travelogue in my life for travel in India.

Great One KamenRider ...keep it coming.

Styler
Quote:
Originally Posted by sri2012 View Post
Stupendous is not the word. What more to say!

Many dream. Few plan. Very few contemplate. Rarely achieved. You are the ONE to achieve.

Take a Bow.
Appreciate the kind comments, Sri and Styler! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Take your time, don't compromise quality for speed.

My native is along the Konkan shoreline and have to admit that the thought of doing this stretch on water has definitely struck me more than once. With age, body in bad shape, no swimming or in general any "water"-skills, this would remain a dream for me. May be a powered boat or a yacht one day! Definitely part of my "100 things to do before I die" list.

And yes, thanks for sharing!
Yes, I will take my time, because these days I am doing crazy travel. I was out of Bangalore from Monday last week and I am still travelling.

Will write the next Episode as soon as I get back to Bangalore on Wednesday!

You are lucky to have the Konkan as your home, fabulous it is
Kamen_rider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 23:51   #32
lsp
BHPian

This is amazing Kamen_rider!!! Hats off to the will to do it and finally succeeding in doing it.

Glued for more.

This thread deserved 5* for sure.
Old 25th March 2013, 00:49   #33
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow wonderful travelogue there. Truly one of a kind !!

Really made for a great read and the pictures are also great. Respect.

Rated the thread a well-deserving 5-stars.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 10:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Wow too good a travelogue to bump into on Monday morning. Hats off to you sir for not just attempting it but even planting that idea in your head.

Can you give more details on the Megalite torch which you bought? What are its lumens and how far is the beam distance.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 11:15   #35
Joy
BHPian

What an epic journey. Hats off to you for even thinking like this.

Would you elaborate more on how to keep balance and other niche stuff. I tried kayaking once but failed miserably.

Totally glued to this thread and much deserved 5* rating.

Please update soon.
Joy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 11:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friend,

Amazing.

I just cannot resist myself replying to this thread. Absolutely amazing. Just like others I will definitely be hooked to each new picture & each new post you add to this thread.

I have heard people doing trips like these only from people of foreign origins. You are probably first onT-BHP to undertake a trip like this one.

Request you to please share each & every good & bad experience. Most of us might not be able to go on a trip like this, but we can atleast imagine & re-live your experiences.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 12:12   #37
BHPian

This is unreal stuff, unique to a T. I have surfed through enough T-LOGson T-BHP, as have thousands and thousands, but this one really stands apart; for its sheer uniqueness, for the courage and tenacity of Kamen-Rider, highlighting his determination and grit in making this fantastic journey happen. Hats off to you, and keep it coming.
rajeevn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 12:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

This has got to be one of the most adventurous journeys ever undertaken by a Tbhpian!!!

Hats off bro!!!

I wish i have the courage to do this someday.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 25th March 2013 at 12:48.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 12:46   #39
Senior - BHPian

Amazing travelogue. Must say you've dared to do what most people cannot even dream of doing. Hats off to you Rahul.

Extremely nice way of narrating your adventures and some nice pics too. Impatiently waiting to read more.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 13:22   #40
BHPian

Kamen_rider, after a long time, this is one thread that i am hooked on to, and I am glad you are unfolding the events in a bit-by-bit manner. Rated 5 stars for the sheer audacity and effort to complete the journey.
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 14:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

This is what i call free spirit and thirst for adventure. Great going Rahul.

I still remember you mentioning this during our ride to Yercaud.

Knowing you, i can only imagine how much time and effort you spent on planning the whole thing to the T, and kudos to you for living the true meaning of adventure.

It must have been so peaceful and relaxing in the middle of the ocean, just bobbing up and down with the waves, no hulla gulla or noise involved, just you and the vast open sea.

Did you take any video's on your GoPro?

This definitely is a first on team bhp. Rated 5 stars.

Looking forward to the rest of the report.

P.S. Do share the newspaper article as well.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 16:04   #42
BHPian

I admire your spirit!! You have certainly evoked or at least rekindled the desire to live on ones own terms amongst many forum readers!! I am one!! Since I am water phobiac, I would want to explore unkown India on my cycle!! In fact, after my recovery, I went on my annual leave where I would cycle 60-100 kms every day in almost different directions from my hometown in Punjab!! I was amid people (and other distortions like traffic and pollution), nonetheless, it being relatively calmer made me feel on 7th heaven!! I can only dream what you would have felt like all alone in the ocean!! Cheers to your grit and will to tread an unkown road (err waters I guess)!! I am a fan of yours!!

Last edited by Samridh : 25th March 2013 at 16:05.
Samridh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 16:12   #43
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue!!! Can't wait to see/read the rest of the adventure. India has a lot of opportunities for such adventure activities, but unfortunately, our Govt. don;t realise them. Even if a few want to do it, Govt. agencies unnecessarily harass them. But, kodos to you, you have done what many others cannot even think of. Waiting to hear more on your encounter with the Coast Guards. On a lighter note, stay clear of any Italian tanker ships
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 16:31   #44
BHPian

Just one word brother 'Respect'.

Amazing stuff to read on your travelogue. Bring it on as quickly as you can. Also if you can put more details on Kayaking lessons for novice on forums to start with basic kayaking
<Badguy> is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 16:44   #45
BHPian

Wow that is the most blissful thing I can think of doing. Awesome and I am no words for your effort. I must say you are one of the gifted people around.
I remember kayaking in Mauritius and it was great. We spent whole evening challenging ourselves going further into the ocean and it was fun to be all by yourself with water all around.
Its like having an open road with a floating bike.
I never even thought such a thing can be done in Indian seas.
Envy the free time, luxury, access to things and mainly the brains which got you all that.
You are definitely an achiever in my books.
Congrats and glued here. I want to do it someday on the eastern coast. Though scared I might get mugged or killed by the arrogant fisher men or the coast guard.

Can you divulge the cost factor in case you don't mind. You have rekindle the thought of fun from past in my head.
Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks