Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:16   #61
BHPian

Re: My journey from Bangalore to Kolkata in a Tata Nano, that too Alone

Wow, this is indeed an amazing feat and that too doing it all alone is really mad MadTiger. Just goes to show Nano's efficiency and bursting some myths created around it. Congrats again on completing this amazing trip.
sami316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 17:27   #62
BHPian

You are one brave and great guy ! it's eye popping .... i am in awe. I am not sure how did you overcome the boredom of travelling alone for so long. Hope , guys at tata read this and gets you some goodies for really interesting journey which proves worthiness , reliability of nano.

regards
amol
Old 3rd April 2013, 17:41   #63
BHPian

Wowww - is the word.

Could you share how you felt after this 3+2 days trip in Nano ? I mean, any body pain etc ? How comfortable was the trip ? Did you give the car for service/checking after this trip ? Anything that they noticed ?
Old 3rd April 2013, 21:46   #64
BHPian

Amazing feat and achievement. A 2000km plus journey in one of the smallest car around with a 15l capacity, nervous would be an understatement. Hats off boss.
At any point of time did you feel a crunch situation with fuel at hand, I mean running low and not finding a pump?
Old 3rd April 2013, 22:12   #65
Senior - BHPian

@MadTiger---great achievement indeed! I really respect your resolute spirit for adventure. And hats off to the Nano for the splendid achievement.

By the way, the video you posted seems to be taken on your return trip and I think the video starts from the Vizag Steel Junction and proceeds till the village named Aganampudi. Am I right?
Old 4th April 2013, 11:18   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Madtiger: That's really a feat! Frankly speaking, I am not a fan of Nano in any respect but your travelogue is a proof enough that the little master is capable of such long drives. Still, more than car, I appreciate you. Great!

Regards,
Saket
Old 5th April 2013, 09:01   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
You are one brave and great guy ! it's eye popping .... i am in awe. I am not sure how did you overcome the boredom of travelling alone for so long. Hope , guys at tata read this and gets you some goodies for really interesting journey which proves worthiness , reliability of nano.

regards
amol
Hey Amol, thanks Man! I surely look forward for some goodies from Tata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlyak View Post
Wowww - is the word.

Could you share how you felt after this 3+2 days trip in Nano ? I mean, any body pain etc ? How comfortable was the trip ? Did you give the car for service/checking after this trip ? Anything that they noticed ?
Hi ashlyak, Tell me about it, definitely it was strenuous, the only time I felt a bit over done was on the last day, as I drove over 20 hrs with just 1 hour sleep. Well I have not given my car for service yet, just got it washed and still driving as I have to commute to work daily. I am awaiting for my 3rd service which is due next month, will do a thorough checkup. As far as the journey it was neither very comfortable neither too bad, I had taken a seat cushion and a soft pillow cushion to rest my shoulder that helped a lot from a sore shoulder. Rest all went well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Amazing feat and achievement. A 2000km plus journey in one of the smallest car around with a 15l capacity, nervous would be an understatement. Hats off boss.
At any point of time did you feel a crunch situation with fuel at hand, I mean running low and not finding a pump?
Thanks himadrimondal, well through out my journey I filled petrol only when I was passing by a town or city I,E big petrol pumps. I was carrying a 2 ltr pet bottle of petrol with me, and a situation did came were I had use it as the available pumps were not that great or supplied only diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
@MadTiger---great achievement indeed! I really respect your resolute spirit for adventure. And hats off to the Nano for the splendid achievement.

By the way, the video you posted seems to be taken on your return trip and I think the video starts from the Vizag Steel Junction and proceeds till the village named Aganampudi. Am I right?
Thanks vnabhi, great observation, yes it was on my return journey and I think I was approaching or crossing Vizag at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Madtiger: That's really a feat! Frankly speaking, I am not a fan of Nano in any respect but your travelogue is a proof enough that the little master is capable of such long drives. Still, more than car, I appreciate you. Great!

Regards,
Saket
Thanks Saket, IMO most people are judgmental about nano, I was one among them until the day I drove it. Plus I would like to call out all the proud nano owners who gave an unbiased review on TBHP that helped me buy my first car.

Last edited by MadTiger : 5th April 2013 at 09:04. Reason: Typo
MadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 11:23   #68
BHPian

It's a very inspiring trip.

Have couple of points to make.

Nano, The Car - This is perhaps the first extensive stress test it went through (outside the factory) and came out a winner. I never had any doubt on this car's capability but doing 2k KMs at a stretch is really a feat. Some of us thought it's not meant for highway drive but I have seen Nano s giving good competition to some bigger cars on the highways (not in a provocative way though).

Mad Tiger - I salute your spirit man. Doing such a long journey, with refill interval of under 300km for your car and yourself taking such short breaks... wonder what drove you... all alone on highways ... driving for about 15-20 hours at a stretch... I am speechless. Welldone! !
BlackBerry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 12:51   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerry View Post
It's a very inspiring trip.

Have couple of points to make...

Mad Tiger - I salute your spirit man. Doing such a long journey, with refill interval of under 300km for your car and yourself taking such short breaks... wonder what drove you... all alone on highways ... driving for about 15-20 hours at a stretch... I am speechless. Welldone! !
Thanks Blackberry, one of the reason for this trip was to let people know that nano is a very practical car not something to be doubted or questioned. By the way I am not sure if I was the first person to do it, there was a news that a 60 year old gentleman from Kerala did cross country drive on his nano, sponsored by tata
Old 19th June 2013, 09:36   #70
BHPian

More a feat of the human factor than the machine here. I just salute your spirit. If you can do it in a nano, you will do it in any car, through your life.
droolingvoyager is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 12:15   #71

HI,

I had a question, i am planning to travel 700km in a day, can it possible in nano?.if yes for how many KM vehicle need to be stopped do suggest me.
Old 7th April 2016, 14:08   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishg87 View Post
HI,

I had a question, i am planning to travel 700km in a day, can it possible in nano?.if yes for how many KM vehicle need to be stopped do suggest me.
You can very much do it in a Nano.

In fact 700Kms is nothing. No need to stop the vehicle either, under normal conditions except for mandatory breaks to attend natures call/ refreshments etc. It is advisable that you take a stop every 200 Kms and stretch a bit, just to relax your muscles and avoid building up fatigue.

Ensure that all tyres are in running condition with good treads, all fluids are topped up, all electricals (viz., bulbs, fuses, indicators, etc) are functioning normally and you have had a good and sound sleep, the previous night.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 7th April 2016 at 14:12.
Old 8th April 2016, 00:50   #73
BHPian

It is really inspiring narration of how u managed the distance of 2500km in NANO and again drive back. It is in my wishlist to drive from Bangalore to Kolkata someday in my i1o sports. I will definitely drive the distance. Only deterrent being my family and others who discourage such long drives. But your story inspired me a lot. thanks again for sharing your experience.
Old 8th April 2016, 15:02   #74
Senior - BHPian

I can whole heartedly vouch for the L'il Nano's durability & "toughness" quotient on the highways.

I, too, have & had Nano's - the latest one is a red AMT version, (sold off the previous MT one). I have used them extensively over varied terrains & every time it has performed flawlessly and never, ever ditched me.

The trick is to "mentally acclimatise" yourself to the lower power and slower pace.
Old codgers like me, who have been brought up on "column - shift - side - valve - carburettor - fed - Landmaster's" can adjust a bit quicker

Do not try any histrionics with the Nano on the highway and you should be fine. Feed in the power gradually and "hold the momentum" steady.
The best cruise i have seen is in between 80 - 85 kmph.

Another advantage is that because you maintain a slow and steady momentum you have to brake less!

Usually if one is tearing down at 120kmph, the chances of your braking for obstacles, intersections, cattle, cycles, generally people loitering around etc, scenario's which are quite frequent on typical Indian highway driving; is pretty high.
So you typically: "brake - shed speed - de-clutch - shift down - re-clutch, accelerate"
Conversely in the little Nano, you merely: spot obstacle - lift off the throttle - drop 10-20kmph or so - re-apply throttle - crawl back & sit pretty in the 80-85kmph band!

I've done numerous Chennai - Bangalore trips in the manual Nano.
A Chennai - Kanyakumari round trip. A trip to Ooty and Kodaikanal and on none of the trips did the little Bug throw any tantrum. Average Fuel Consumption was always 20+kmpl.

Yes, she is buzzy, brakes are weak and she teaches you cadence braking (again for old dodgers like me its a throwback in time! ) but she does roll on without nary a whimper or squeak.

Attaching a couple of pictures of my latest Nano, out on a "Biriyani Drive" on a lazy Sunday afternoon from Chennai to Ambur and back to Chennai. 190 kms (one way) was despatched in 2 hours 20 minutes flat with the A/C chilling you to the bone and Dire Straits belting out from the stereo.
Attached Thumbnails
My journey from Bangalore to Kolkata in a Tata Nano, that too Alone-nano_ambur_parked_27316.jpg  

My journey from Bangalore to Kolkata in a Tata Nano, that too Alone-nano_27mar_2016_chennaiamburchennai.jpg  

arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 15:11   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav.info111 View Post
It is in my wishlist to drive from Bangalore to Kolkata someday in my i1o sports. I will definitely drive the distance.
Very much do-able Sourav. In 2015 December, just before Christmas, I drove to Kolkata from Chennai in my old Swift (closing in on 120,000 kms). Roads are excellent throughout, Orissa being the best. Chennai - Kolkata was 1700 kms almost. First day was Chennai - Vishakapatnam where i halted for the night and the next day late evening i was in Kolkata.
But i suggest, you drive down in winter rather than in summer. The weather and ambient temperature will be far more conducive.
All the best !
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks