Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2013, 13:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Aamchi Mumbai - A photolog of a weekend spent there

Ashesh,

I was smiling all through! It gives you a very different perspective to see your home through some one else's eyes. As many have said here, I would never think of taking my camera out in Mumbai and clicking the beach or BEST buses. All I would see is crowded shabby buses, dirt and filth on the beach and so on. Being away from Mumbai for 3 years now, I realise it's worth and how a part of it lives and stays with you no matter where you are in the world. Thanks for bringing back memories of those umpteen soothing sunsets I have seen sitting on the marine drive promenade, those dreams we had as naive teenagers of buying a house in one of those buildings on marine drive. I can go on and on!!
Old 11th March 2013, 14:09   #17
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Ashesh,
Absolutely amazing photolog!

Born and brought up in Mumbai, many like me have taken Mumbai for granted.. in the negative sense of the word. Many would go to Daman or Alibaug to visit dirty beaches, but would not give a second glance to the Juhu beach or Marve beach in our own backyard.

Thanks for the eye-opener!

Regards
SDP
Old 11th March 2013, 14:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Amazing photographs Ashesh, you've really captured the beauty and essence of Bombay, and its amazing how you've covered so many places in such a short time. Very crisp compositions and vivid colours. Thank you for showing us Bombay in a very different light.
Old 11th March 2013, 15:04   #19
BHPian

Awesome photography.
Traveling all over Mumbai since 20 years and I haven't seen Mumbai they way you have been able to portray.
Great photography.

I was in-fact thinking, visiting all these places since years and never ever have got the time to stop and admire.
Thanks for showing us Mumbai from a VISITOR point of view.
Old 11th March 2013, 15:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pics. And I loved the well thought our captions/write-up for each photo. A good treat.
Old 11th March 2013, 17:50   #21
BHPian

Hello Ashesh,

What stunning photography!!! Amazing!!!
And your writeups below make them so much more meaningful.
I have never spent a lot of time in Mumbai but have visited all these places around 15 years back.Thanks for refreshing my memory.
Old 12th March 2013, 00:26   #22
A M
BHPian

Was in Mumbai last week and I just loved the place. The people are so nice, courteous and helpful. It was a very nice experience.
Up here in the north, people have become so rude and rowdy. Be it the roads or be it the supermarket, everybody has that "I can buy you" attitude but in Mumbai people are grounded and very welcoming.

And, I loved the BEST. It was an experience in itself. Took a random bus just to have an experience and liked it a lot.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Old 12th March 2013, 02:33   #23
BHPian

Mumbai really is one of its kind place. You either hate it to the core or fall in love with this city.

One thing that I miss badly while being out of Mumbai is food from Urban Tadka - specially subzi banzara, arvi masala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesh View Post
Urban Tadka restaurant
A nice place to have north Indian food. I had my usual lachcha paratha and paneer butter masala. The food was delicious.
Old 12th March 2013, 09:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

The first thing that rushed to my mind seeing the roads and taxis was the awesome traffic discipline inside the city. Last time I'd been to Mumbai some 10 years back and saw a beeline of taxi Padminis all around, but not a single scratch on them; just the opposite of Delhi where every other car or a bus had a dent and were shabbily maintained. Looking at the pictures, I guess it is still the same. Great!

I love photologues and this one was no different. Thanks for sharing a nostalgia.
Old 12th March 2013, 10:39   #25
BHPian

Thanks ghodlur. I missed out on lot of things due to time constraint but still I am very much happy with what I could manage to cover in short time. Hopefully I will visit again soon. Juhu beach is not the same which I had in mind but that was around 25 years ago. The bhel puri stalls have been removed from the beach.

Thanks GTO for the appreciation and rating. Indeed Mumbai is a jhakas city. I loved the vibes of the city.

Thanks anand_hc. All the restaurants I visited had excellent food.

Thanks Rajesh. Indeed Mumbai has a lovely charm. I hope you could visit your city soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Beautifully captured in a completely different way than the mumbaikars see it every day. I hope you didnt miss out on the local train ride or gorging on the Mumabi staple food the humble Vadapav or Canon pav bhaji or pani puri stalls at Juhu beach. A visit to the mecca of Indian cricket the Oval maidan or to the CST was a must. There's lots more to see in Mumbai and I hope you will yearn for a return sooner than you thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Stunning photolog!

I was smiling all through the super pictures, supported by excellent photo captions. Thanks for showing me my home in such a wonderful way.

There's so much to do, see & experience in this vibrant city. The action never, ever stops. They say a Mumbaikar has trouble settling anyplace else; certainly applies to me.

*Rates thread a well-deserved 5 stars*