Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2013, 21:43   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Munnar - February 2013 Edition

The discussions were going on for some time at office for an unofficial offsite to break away from the monotonous work life. During these discussions, somebody threw in Munnar and Kodaikanal as an option. I was more than eager to take the Linea to the outing. The farther the place, the happier I am as I get to drive more.

With 10 people game for the trip, the date was finalized as 16th February 2013.

Here we go with how the trip transpired over the 3 days.

Day 1: 16th February 2013

We had all agreed to meet up at near our office at 5:30 am. However, on the way, I would be picking up my colleagues, so headed from home at 4:45 am.

By the time we got together near office it was already 6 am. With a quick rearrangement of the group, we headed off towards A2B near Krishnagiri. We reached A2B, refueled ourselves with idly, vada, pongal and strong coffee. How can the cars be left out, so we topped both the cars (My Linea and my colleague's Fiesta) at the BPCL COCO bunk.

We continued our journey towards Dindigul leisurely cruising and a target to reach Theni for Lunch around 1 pm. However, with a slight delay and a coffee break in between we reached Theni at 1.40 pm. Stopped over at Hotel Meenakshi Bhavan for a nice Tamil Nadu style lunch. Our cars got refueled too at Theni.

Took the deviation towards Bodi from the Dindigul - Kumily - Kottayam highway. From here on we made slow progress soothing the atmosphere and the surroundings. A few snaps from the many stops we took.

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0671-copy.jpg

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0685-copy.jpg

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0690-copy.jpg

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0692-copy.jpg

The ghat roads were in decent condition, yet it was a leisure drive so the speeds were quite low. The Linea took these Ghats yawning.

We deviated from the Munnar route to go to Anayirankal Dam a couple of snaps from here before moved to the Lockhart gap road to catch the sunset.

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0716.jpg

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0735-copy.jpg

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0741-copy.jpg

At Lockhart gap road.

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0753-copy.jpg

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0783-copy.jpg

We reached the Bell Mount resorts/Hotel by 7:15 pm. It was time to get refreshed and assemble back for dinner at 8:30 pm.

Post dinner, we were sitting across and chitchatting till half past 10 in the night. It was time for a well deserved rest for the group.

Contd...

Last edited by nkrishnap : 4th March 2013 at 21:48.
nkrishnap is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 21:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Munnar - February 2013 Edition

Day 2: 17th February 2013

It was a day of leisure sightseeing around Munnar. We hit the road to Top Station early in the day to avoid the crowd. It indeed helped us to enjoy the place with few people around.

On the way to top Station

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0804-copy.jpg

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0822-copy.jpg

Beautiful scenery and the road too

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0836-copy.jpg

In black and white

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0837-copy.jpg

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0837_1-copy.jpg

At the top station, the place transformed from a sunny little place to a misty place in a matter of mins. This helped the temperatures remain low.

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0872-copy.jpg

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0873-copy.jpg

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0881-copy.jpg

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0896-copy.jpg

We drove back towards Munnar but a break in between in Kundala Lake. The group decided to take the pedal boat ride, but I decided to stay back and sooth into the fresh atmosphere there.

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0914-copy.jpg

We returned to Munnar for Lunch. With a quick break of 30 minutes, we decided to visit the tea museum. It was a first visit for the group. After an hour spent at the museum we came to the hotel and on the way we picked up the tea products from the TATA tea factory outlet. Not posting the pictures of the tea museum as I have posted it during the previous trip

It was relaxing time at the hotel for the rest of the day.

Contd....
nkrishnap is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 21:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 3: 18th February 2013

It was time to get back to Bangalore. The route was decided earlier that we will drive via Udumalpettai - Pollachi - Coimbatore - Satyamangalam - Chamarajanagar - Kanakapura.

A few snaps for the tea plantation and the valley.

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0897-copy.jpg

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0919-copy.jpg

En route we visited the Lakkam falls near Marayoor.

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0944-copy.jpg

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0946-copy.jpg

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0949-copy.jpg

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0955-copy.jpg

A try with Macro

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-img_0985-copy.jpg

We drove slowly in the hope of spotting a few wild animals in the Chinnar Wildlife reserve. However, the heat was getting a bit unbearable, the chances of spotting wildlife was zilch. A leisurely drive got us to Pollachi around 12:15 pm. We halted for an early lunch.

The lunch was sumptuous and the AC comfort of the car and hotel was the best place to be in as the temperature outside was hovering around 38 degrees. With the AC at full blast, we drove via Coimbatore. We refueled the cars before we drove towards Satyamangalam. The traffic up to Annur was high ensuring our progress very slow. Post Annur, the traffic was sparse and we made good progress. It started pouring as were nearing Bannari. The rain accompanied us for a few kms. The drive through Dhimbham Ghats was fantastic. We stopped at Chamarajanagar for coffee.

During the break, spotted a nail in the right rear tire. It was time to get it fixed. Lost a good 30 minutes and we headed towards Bangalore. The rain again gave us company after we cross Malavalli for about 15 kms. We regrouped near the NICE road junction, and headed our way home, but not before my colleagues dropped off to their residence.

I topped up the car again before reaching home just to keep the trip stats to near perfect.

Another drive successfully completed in the Linea.
nkrishnap is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 22:14   #4
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

@nkrishnap - Seems like you had a short (time-wise), long (drive-wise) and sweet trip. Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing

Did you take the Dindigul-Batlagundu road that was being widened ? Wanted to know the status of the work during your trip (A friend who traveled 3 weeks back said there were a few diversions but most of the work was complete).
OR did you take the Kodai Road which is a diversion after the next toll ?
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 22:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@nkrishnap - Seems like you had a short (time-wise), long (drive-wise) and sweet trip. Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing

Did you take the Dindigul-Batlagundu road that was being widened ? Wanted to know the status of the work during your trip (A friend who traveled 3 weeks back said there were a few diversions but most of the work was complete).
OR did you take the Kodai Road which is a diversion after the next toll ?
Yes, took the Dindigul-Batlagundu road. The road work is still going on. But complete most places with a few diversions. However, the roads are completely unmarked and not so great during night if one is driving in this route for the first time.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 22:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Very nice snaps nkp , Need to do this soon , long time over due .
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 22:33   #7
Team-BHP Support

Need to go to Munnar once again. Last time was almost 4-5 years back and that was time, when I thought I cant do 500km in a stretch. Hence as a result, I broke journey at Salem!
I guess I have come a long way since then ! A snap of the Kundala dam (from my camcorder which doubled up as a point and shoot camera for me).

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-dsc00656a3.jpg

And as NPV said, short and a long drive! Very nicely put. He also asked the question, which I wanted to ask too. Then saw your answer.
Looks like its OK to take that section during daytime and its not necessary to do that circus around Kodai road.

Last edited by ampere : 4th March 2013 at 22:46.
ampere is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 22:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Very nice snaps nkp , Need to do this soon , long time over due .
Yes, I still remember the ride we did there. The travelogue that you had posted long back is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Need to go to Munnar once again. Last time was almost 4-5 years back and that was time, when I thought I cant do 500km in a stretch. Hence as a result, I broke journey at Salem!
I guess I have come a long way since then ! A snap of the Kundala dam (from my camcorder which doubled up as a point and shoot camera for me).

Attachment 1058241

And as NPV said, short and a long drive! Very nicely put. He also asked the question, which I wanted to ask too. Then saw your answer.
Looks like its OK to take that section during daytime and its not necessary to do that circus around Kodai road.
Lovely pic there.

Which is the other route you are talking about around Kodai. Is it Kodai - Palani - Udumalpettai?

Last edited by nkrishnap : 4th March 2013 at 23:00.
Old 4th March 2013, 23:06   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Which is the other route you are talking about around Kodai. Is it Kodai - Palani - Udumalpettai?
Oh no-no. Just drive on NH7 past Dindigul towards Kodai road (thats the railway station where you get down and take a cab for Kodai).
At Kodai road, you can take the road to Batlagundu.

This way you can avoid Dindigul-Batlagundu section.

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 23:10   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Oh no-no. Just drive on NH7 past Dindigul towards Kodai road (thats the railway station where you get down and take a cab for Kodai).
At Kodai road, you can take the road to Batlagundu.

This way you can avoid Dindigul-Batlagundu section.

Route Link
Ah got it. This is the Kodai Road railway station. This road will soon be of the past once the road work is finished. It will be a neat wide 2 lane highway.
Old 5th March 2013, 06:21   #11
BHPian

Great snaps, reminds me of our trip in August 2012. The queen of hills is Munnar, Ooty and Kodak are pale as compared to Munnar. I also visited this place called kulukumalai, which can be done only on a 4x4. Oh boy what a journey, this is a must visit place

Last edited by Chillout : 5th March 2013 at 06:38.
Chillout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 07:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Great snaps, reminds me of our trip in August 2012. The queen of hills is Munnar, Ooty and Kodak are pale as compared to Munnar. I also visited this place called kulukumalai, which can be done only on a 4x4. Oh boy what a journey, this is a must visit place
In fact, I had been to Munnar in November 2012 though with Family. It was very cold then, but in this trip, no need to pull out sweaters, the weather was just as pleasant.

Agree, that monsoon and hills are a complete different world than how it is in the dry season.
Old 5th March 2013, 15:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
The queen of hills is Munnar, Ooty and Kodak are pale as compared to Munnar. I also visited this place called kulukumalai, which can be done only on a 4x4. Oh boy what a journey, this is a must visit place
Kulukamalai is the WORLD'S HIGHEST TEA ESTATE!! The Journey & the Views are breathtaking!

Taking the liberty of uploading a few pics(forgive me nkrishnap), but the beauty pf the place cannot be described in Words or pictures!!! It has to be seen to be believed! I just happened to visit it by accident, but It has to be a MUST VISIT in Munnar!!!

FANTASTIC PICS FROM
Quote:
It was a day of leisure sightseeing around Munnar. We hit the road to Top Station early in the day to avoid the crowd. It indeed helped us to enjoy the place with few people around.
Attached Thumbnails
Munnar - February 2013 Edition-picture-007.jpg  

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-picture-018.jpg  

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-picture-019.jpg  

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-picture-021.jpg  

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-picture-026a.jpg  

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-picture-057.jpg  

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-picture-069.jpg  

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-picture-118.jpg  

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-picture-058.jpg  

Munnar - February 2013 Edition-picture-030.jpg  

parassoni is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 15:58   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parassoni View Post
Kulukamalai is the WORLD'S HIGHEST TEA ESTATE!! The Journey & the Views are breathtaking!

Taking the liberty of uploading a few pics(forgive me nkrishnap), but the beauty pf the place cannot be described in Words or pictures!!! It has to be seen to be believed! I just happened to visit it by accident, but It has to be a MUST VISIT in Munnar!!!
Forgive? You must be kidding me You made the travelogue even more colorful with the photos of tea valley. In turn, thank you so much for sharing the superb photos.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 16:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Forgive? You must be kidding me You made the travelogue even more colorful with the photos of tea valley. In turn, thank you so much for sharing the superb photos.
Thanks, you're being generous, point n shoot Cam pics have been glorified cozof the amazing locales n views in Munnar! i seriously got tired of clicking pictures as the views were breathtaking wherever you look!!

Also, Your pictures are OUTSTANDING! Which Camera have you used? Looks like a DSLR with the Macro lenses! The Quality & Detailing is Awesome!! Please keep 'em coming, and upload some more

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks