Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2014, 13:02   #226
BHPian

Re: Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit

adc your Safari threads have been a jaw dropping experience to read. But this one takes the cake. I just loved reading it through out. A great expedition, and a great amount of details captured. Many thanks for sharing.
throttleking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 15:19   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
It is good to be back in team bhp after a 5 month hiatus.
And the master is back! That pic is just awesome sir! Now eagerly waiting for the complete log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Pangong - Chushul - Satatho La - Kakasang La - Hor La - Mahe
How was this particular stretch?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 15:55   #228
BHPian

Da, just a suggestion. Instead of posting in this thread about your latest trips, why don't you start new threads on each of your bike rides?

Last edited by shipnil : 28th February 2014 at 15:56.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 17:29   #229
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
How was this particular stretch?
The Kakasang la stretch connecting Chusul and Mahe was done end September 2013 around and the track was horrendous but most probably you would have to donate 1 or 2 tyres to sidewall tear. BRO has not been working on that part in 2013. Whether one can complete the stretch or not cannot be guessed or said from here, but very very careful driving one could have done in 2013. There were also quite a few dug up stretches other than the sharp rocks that was laid out.

The problem that time was that the Punjab regiment battalion based at Chusul was not letting anyone pass through. I had to take a back road on a local person's vehicle, the only person with who has a 4x4 in Chusul, at the crack of dawn to bypass them [Army] unknowingly.

At Kakasang la on September 16, 2013. This was one desolate ride for me. Not a single soul all around anywhere.
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-img_0164-kakasang-la.jpg

The track up Kakasang la and near it.
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-img_0198-track-kakasang-la-1.jpg

Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-img_0198-track-kakasang-la.jpg

Near Hor la and the metal road starts.
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-img_0227-near-hor-la.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
.Let it come ADC da! I am all ready and waiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
Whenever you start a new log on this - do keep us posted so taht we can follow. This is something amazing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
adc your Safari threads have been a jaw dropping experience to read. But this one takes the cake. I just loved reading it through out. A great expedition, and a great amount of details captured. Many thanks for sharing.

Thanks much, it sure was one heck of a travel and bicycle ride. Few more pics as I take them out from the cards.

On frozen river Zanskar, 2014
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-img_7213-zanskar-chadar.jpg

Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-img_7829-zanskar-river.jpg

Stayed in caves all along
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-img_9430-cave2.jpg

and a great homestay at Padum, Zanskar.
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-img_8416-homestay-padum.jpg

The trip was not without drama, the bicycle almost washed away during a river crossing.
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-fullscreen-capture-cycle-zanskar-river.jpg

Even the Ladakh Scouts training near Chilling Sumdo were impressed! Got a call from them for a great lunch!
Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek-img_0168-ladakh-scouts.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Da, just a suggestion. Instead of posting in this thread about your latest trips, why don't you start new threads on each of your bike rides?
I will of course start a new thread for each new ride. Just recuperating now, just Feb 25 I was still on Khardung la top! By next week should start writing.

Last edited by adc : 28th February 2014 at 17:46.
adc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 17:38   #230
BHPian

adc,
You seems to have made Leh your second home! all these trips and that too on bicycle is nothing out of this world, I am scared as hell doing Leh in summer that too in a 4x4 car, you have done that all alone in winter on bicycle, eagerly waiting for all these travelogue.

-Pramod
pramods is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 19:27   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Goodness, gracious...!!!

Hatsoff to you adc.
Great courage, grit and determination

Take a bow, I am sure TBhp will stand up to applaud you.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 21:26   #232
BHPian

This is simply mind blowing stuff. I though that after the cycle ride up the Leh slopes, ADC must have started to take things a lil easy.
Not really... No.
Please start to write ASAP. Your fans are waiting.
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 03:53   #233
Senior - BHPian

Excellent and it looks like you are not carrying a 2BHK this time!
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 20:49   #234
BHPian

Adc sir - just wanted to thank you for providing inspiration for me to purchase a bicycle after all these years

i hope we get to hear your amazing story for the February ride for which you have posted some teasers
alfafan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 21:14   #235
BHPian

A solo bicycle journey from Manali to Leh via Tso Kar. [approx 500+ km]

Way overloaded bicycle - from tent to mattress to sleeping bag to a radio, to DSLR cameras to kerosene stove to a spare tire and tube to this and that - on the way to Gata loops - but beneath all these is a fine expedition mountain bike - Trek 4500D aka Mountain Knight

I was contemplating different modes of traveling to leh since the beginning of time but seeing you doing this reminds me of a famous brand's tag line "JUST DO IT"
Nats is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 17:35   #236
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely fantastic Adc.
Just got back to team - bhp after a long hiatus and now my travel season begins too!!

Absolutely fan tas tic account of your entire trip and extremely motivating.

And here is a quote from this Tlog on my Fb page... absolutely hillarious!!

There is nothing worse than a premature celebration in rarified air. - ADC @ Baralacha La

Cheers!
Talk soon.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 17:03   #237

Re: Extreme Expedition - Bicycling Manali-TsoKar-Leh-Khardungla & Stok Kangri summit trek

Hello ADC Sir,

I just joined Team-BHP. I have waited two long years to thank you wholeheartedly for motivating lots and lots of people.

Your extreme expedition influenced me to take a solo cycling trip from Chennai to Kanyakumari which in fact changed the way I look at life forever.

I salute your fortitude and humbly dedicate my yet to be posted travelogue to you.

Regards,
vjstanka
vjstanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 22:52   #238

Cycling from Manali to Khardungla in September '17

Hello friends,

I plan to cycle from Manali to Khardungla in the month of September 2017. The duration of travel will be 11-13 days, which to my opinion are enough days to enjoy the breathtaking scenery comfortably and for photography as well!

The itinerary planned is as following -
Day 1 : Manali - Marhi
Day 2 : Marhi - Rohtang - Koksar - Sissu - Gondhla
Day 3 : Tandi - Keylong - Gemur - Jispa - Darcha
Day 4 : Darcha - Patseo - Baralacha La - Bharatpur
Day 5 : Bharatpur - Sarchu - 4253 M - Brandy Nallah
Day 6 : Brandy Nallah - Gata loops - Naki la - Lungalachala - Pang
Day 7 : Pang - More Plains - Tanglangla
Day 8 : Tanglangla - Rumtse - Gya
Day 9 : Gya - Upshi - Karu - Leh
Day 10 : Day At leisure
Day 11 : Leh - Khardungla
Day 12 & 13 : Day At Leisure

This is my maiden trip to Leh and I am looking for cycling partner(s) to join me or I am happy to join them for that matter. The travel dates and the itinerary could be tweaked a little.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 15th July 2017 at 00:51.
Old 15th July 2017, 00:55   #239
Team-BHP Support

Re: Cycling from Manali to Khardungla in September '17

What kind of Bicycling experience you have?
Have you ever done high altitude Bycling.

How about moderate uphill stretches like Kalka to Barog?
Manali to Mahri is a 1km Altitude gain, with extremely steep switchbacks near Marhi. Many take 7-8 hours to do this (And I am talking about experienced cyclists.

Without knowing your skill level, and what is your stamina, its impossible to tell whether you plan is doable or not.
Old 15th July 2017, 09:13   #240

Re: Cycling from Manali to Khardungla in September '17

Thanks tsk1979 for your feedback.

Though I have never done high altitude biking before but during the last year, I have completed two week long treks with an average max altitude of 4000m. On certain days during the trek, the total altitude gain is in excess of 1000m+.

I have to maintain a comfortably steady pace.

Most Viewed