Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2013, 13:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013

"When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person to realize his dream" says Paulo Coelho in Alchemist.

And so says SRK in Om Shanti Om "Agar kisi cheez ko dil se chaaho to puri kayanat usey tumse milane ki koshish mein lag jaati hai"

My dream to be at the Kumbh Mela, against all odds finally materialized and I can only say how true these words are.

On a lazy Saturday I got a call from my BIL updating me about his new assignment, and how he will be occupied for the next couple of years. He just asked me why don't you just come over to Delhi, lets go to the Kumbh Mela. The dream which was buried some where down in my mind, when heard from my BIL I was thrilled. But then commitments at work and home pulled me back, and I played it down.

I could not but sit and ponder, a dream that I carried, which I buried deep down in my mind, why is it that I am given a choice, and that too just out of the blue?

Is it destiny?

Again Paulo Coelho and Alchemist came to my mind - "Making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really driving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision"

Later that evening I called my BIL and confirmed that we will indeed go to the Mahakumbh and take the holy dip at Sangam on Mahashivrathri

So an impromptu trip to Allahabad was made. I flew to Delhi and took my BIL's Aveo and drove out to Allahabad and Varanasi for being a part of kumbh mela on Mahashivrathri.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 14:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013

The Plan

Day 1 09.03.2013 Fly to Delhi, Delhi to Allahabad by road
Day 2 10.03.2013 Dip at Sangam, and Ganga Aarti at Varanasi
Day 3 11.03.2013 Varanasi to Delhi

BIL got his Aveo all pepped up for the drive, and this log is a also a tribute to this wonderful car.
Old 6th April 2013, 14:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

We saw Sangam by night from Yamuna bridge
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4712.jpg

From the banks of Ganges

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4757.jpg

The tents at the banks
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4886.jpg

The crowd going towards the Sangam

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0131.jpg

To the Sangam

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4793.jpg

Waiting for a holy dip at the Sangam
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0162.jpg

We were VIP's for the day
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4882.jpg

We got amazed by the old buildings at Allahabad
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0163.jpg

We visited Sarnath too
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0181.jpg

Once upon a time I studied about this in Social Studies
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_5041.jpg

Last edited by laluks : 6th April 2013 at 14:27.
Old 6th April 2013, 14:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

We were at Varanasi Ghats
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_5067edit.jpg

We took a boat ride on Ganges

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_5107edit.jpg

We passed by the various ghats of Varanasi
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_5162edit.jpg

I was amazed at what I saw, an ancient city which I never knew!
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_5195.jpg

Nobody dies more, than when they die in India
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_5222.jpg

We got lost in the intriguing alleys of Varanasi

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_5237.jpg

We dissolved into the crowd at Varanasi

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_5249.jpg

We witnessed Ganga Aaarti at Varanasi
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_5265.jpg

We sat at the bank of Ganges by night
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_5305.jpg
Old 6th April 2013, 14:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

We slept at a road side dhabha
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0204.jpg

We stopped for Kulfis too
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0228.jpg

We were happy to have such roads

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_5348edit.jpg

We congratulated India on having her own F1 circuit
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_5605.jpg
laluks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 14:44   #6
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: Thread moved from Assembly Line to Travelogues section. Thanks for sharing.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 14:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
"When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person to realize his dream" says Paulo Coelho in Alchemist.

So an impromptu trip to Allahabad was made. I flew to Delhi and took my BIL's Aveo and drove out to Allahabad and Varanasi for being a part of kumbh mela on Mahashivrathri.

Oh! superb Lalu,

What a way to start a traveogue.

And the teaser photos are all mind blogging and really captured the mood of the situation.

Waiting for more details, and pictures.

bbhavan
bbhavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 16:11   #8
BHPian

Here we have another great travelogue from our very own LaluKS. Great photos and journey! Looking forward to more photos !

We also went there on the main bathing day on 10th of February, I'll also try and update some pics to this thread.

Last edited by akaush : 6th April 2013 at 16:14.
akaush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 17:30   #9
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome, another mind-blowing travelogue @laluks! Thanks for sharing
What I like most is your never-say-die traveler spirit - when everyone wants to travel to places far away from maddening crowds you do just the opposite! Of course a visit to the holy Ganges is worthy of such an effort.
No PPG's on this trip ?
From the thread title, I first thought you'd replaced the Swift with an Aveo recently!

Last edited by NPV : 6th April 2013 at 17:32.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 17:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Oh! superb Lalu,

What a way to start a traveogue.

And the teaser photos are all mind blogging and really captured the mood of the situation.

Waiting for more details, and pictures.

bbhavan
Thanks bbhavan. Will be updating soon. Got to get on with my next drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post
Here we have another great travelogue from our very own LaluKS. Great photos and journey! Looking forward to more photos !

We also went there on the main bathing day on 10th of February, I'll also try and update some pics to this thread.
Thanks akaush. I heard about your drive. Will love to see the pictures from your trip. I'll finish my log fast for you to update the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Awesome, another mind-blowing travelogue @laluks! Thanks for sharing
What I like most is your never-say-die traveler spirit - when everyone wants to travel to places far away from maddening crowds you do just the opposite! Of course a visit to the holy Ganges is worthy of such an effort.
No PPG's on this trip ?
From the thread title, I first thought you'd replaced the Swift with an Aveo recently!
Thanks NPV for your kind words.
PPGs were having their exams during that time.

Swifty is still with me
Old 6th April 2013, 17:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Day 01
9th March 2013
Bangalore - Delhi - Allahabad

Reached Delhi T3 by 10:45AM and was picked up by my BIL. We drove towards Akshardham temple from where we were be joined by two of his friends. We reached the Noida express way by 12:00PM and I was given the privilege to drive the Aveo.

We took the Yamuna expressway and reached outskirts of Agra in good time. It was a clear love story between the Aveo and Yamuna Expressway. I was amazed at the handling of Aveo, and was impressed at the way the car was built. Next two days and 1600 Kilometers made me a complete fan of the Aveo.

We reached Makhanpur by 14:15 hours and filled up Petrol.

Some interesting schemes
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0065.jpg

Beware of this pump, they have some short filling tricks with them
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0066.jpg

After getting Aveo it's fill we were ready to move on

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0067.jpg

continued...
Old 6th April 2013, 18:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Day 01
9th March 2013

We were all feeling quite hungry by then, and stopped at a dhabha near the petrol pump at Makhanpur

We stopped for lunch
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0068.jpg

Menu discussions going on
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0069.jpg

The cook is on the job
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0075.jpg

Waiting for the lunch to be served

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0072.jpg

Colourful Salad
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0074.jpg

Pepsi Man
This phone call was important as I figured out later
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0070.jpg

By 15:15 hours we are ready to roll
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0076.jpg

We had already covered some 240 odd kilometers by now. Another 425 + to go. I was really worried if we will reach Allahabad at any sane timings.

I drove non stop from here to reach Allahabad by 21:00 hours , much to the shock of other inmates in the Aveo.

continued...
Old 6th April 2013, 18:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Day 01
9th March 2013

We roamed around in Civil Lanes, The MG Road equivalent of Allahabad
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0078.jpg

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0079.jpg

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0080.jpg

Yatris were welcomed for the Maha Kumbh
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0081.jpg

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0083.jpg

We were in search of rooms
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0086.jpg

All we could find was a room in a Punjabi Dharamshala and kalyanamantap. That too with some local contact and influence.
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-img_0085.jpg

After settling the room issues, we went to the home of the family who helped us get this accommodation. After a quick tea and pleasantries there we drove towards Yamuna bridge to get a view of the Sangam in the night.

continued...
Old 6th April 2013, 18:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Day 01
9th March 2013

We reached Yamuna Bridge by 22:45 hours

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4731.jpg

All these phone calls were to turn out to be quite important later

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4730.jpg

Some panoramas of the Yamuna Bridge
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4728edit.jpg

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-bridge1.jpg

It's a hanging bridge
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4738.jpg

continued...
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 19:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Day 01
9th March 2013

First view of the Sangam from Yamuna Bridge
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4700edit.jpg

I was almost like a zombie by now and was fumbling with the camera settings

It looked magical

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4694.jpg

Some boats were still on the river

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4695.jpg

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4696.jpg

I was amazed at the width of the river.
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4712.jpg

I tried some more clicks, was too tired to experiment any further
Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4713.jpg

Aveod : Allahabad and Varanasi on Mahashivrathri day of MahaKumbh 2013-dsc_4716.jpg

It was already 23:30 and we were tired, sleepy and hungry.

continued...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks