Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2013, 19:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013

With back to back work trip across the continent, a trip to wash the sin was due long time, and this time agenda was very simple.

Snow and Lots of SNOW, minus tourist. That strikes out Manali right then. We were not sure about the UK. And came the thought of hitting Kaza, reports started pouring in about Kaza open and people doing it. We anyway needed a warming up trip before our big Ladakh trip this year.

We got excited and started planning for Kaza, without a hint that all those plans will go for toss. But then we have learned to respect and adapt to nature quite well.

It has to be Snow, Kaza, Sangla, kalpa or whatever, who care when you can make a snowman taller than your kid .

enjoy few summary pics

Note : click on the image to see the larger version.

Starting the trip with some love

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-1.jpg

Entering Kinnaur
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-2.jpg

Tea and view
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-3.jpg

Architect of this trip
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-4.jpg

Sunrise at Rakcham
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-5.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-6.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-7.jpg

Snow everywhere
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-8.jpg

Beast at its best
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-9.jpg

Chitkul
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-10.jpg

Passing through the snow walls
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-11.jpg

Some uses of shovel
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-12.jpg

Our new member for the trip, we created a picnic spot here, everybody stopped and took pics
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-13.jpg

Sunset
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-14.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-15.jpg

Lovely Moon hiding
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-16.jpg

Morning Clouds
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-17.jpg

Kalpa
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-18.jpg

HPTDC Kinner Kailash - Kalpa
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-19.jpg

Amazing sunset at Kalpa
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-20.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-21.jpg

Few night shots
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-22.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-23.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-24.jpg

Early morning at Kalpa
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-kinnaur-2013-25.jpg

Last edited by rkbharat : 13th April 2013 at 19:09.
rkbharat is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 19:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013

Like every other trip, there was (WAS) a plan and agenda. Plan was simple - KAZA and agenda was only one - SNOW. But then travel plans on hills are like landslides, can fall anytime and anywhere.
Some of the Sub Agenda prepared by Nandini, my daughter:
1. Make a huge Snowman
2. Cover mom with snow
3. make a huge snow balls and have a snow fight
4. Make soap bubbles in snow

Don't ask me the logic of those sub agenda, you just can not expect a logic of plans by kids.

So instead of talking about the plan, let me write down the actual. Though plan for day one was to reach as close to Kalpa as possible and then make a second day drive to Kaza. I was in touch with few friends who was travelling few days ahead of me and had similar plans.

A day before the start, I got the bad news about a huge landslide which was looking really ugly and idiot. On regular calls with guys ahead of me, it was clear that this was one big land slide, not going away for next few days. That means there was no need to rush and we had to re-plan.

So this was the revised plan:

Day 1 - 28 Mar : Gurgaon to Rampur, night stay at HPTDC, Busher Regency
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-elevation.jpg

Day 2 - 29 Mar : Rampur to Rakcham, night stay at Hotel Rupin River view
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-136508596020152.jpg

Day 3 - 30 Mar : Rakcham - Chitkul - Rakcham, night stay at Hotel Rupin River view

Day 4 - 31 Mar : Rakcham - Kalpa, night stay at HPTDC Kinner Kailash
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-136509135026862.jpg

Day 5 - 1 Apr : Kalpa - Narkanda, night stay at Hotel Mahamaya Palace
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-136508819022428.jpg

Day 6 - 2 Apr : Narkanda - Gurgaon
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-136508983924607.jpg

Day 1 was just a long drive from home. after getting the information that Kaza will not be possible, we decided to end the day at Narkanda. It was a boring and event-less drive, with very few breaks in between. We reached narkanda around 3 Pm, checked for rooms at Hotel Hatu, AND like last three times, there was no room available. They directed me to Mahamaya Palace, but as we still had some day light left, we decided to move further to Rampur. Busher Regency was a wonderful stay for the night.

Very few pics from Day 1

Shimla, messy stack of cards
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-1-5.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-1-6.jpg

Hotel Hatu - Narkanda
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-1-4.jpg

Nandini making faces, fortunately she was not much tired after 9 hours of drive
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-1-3.jpg

There was good amount of snow on the side of the road at Narkanda
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-1-2.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-1-1.jpg
rkbharat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 19:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow simply amazing pictures. The night shots are just awesome. Specially loved the star trails and the night starry sky. You have proved the sayings ' A picture is worth a thousand words'. Waiting eagerly for more to come.
Old 13th April 2013, 19:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Super Photos Rajiv,

Could you also trace your route with distances. A few questions for you:

1) Did you pre-book the hotels or do it once you got there? 2) Till what time does snow stay in these parts? 3) Are you on the original tyres or have you changed them?

I am planning a trip to the hills in some time and this information will help me immensely.

Thanks.
Old 13th April 2013, 19:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Day 2 - 29 Mar 2013

As the trip was trimmed down to Kinnaur, we had plenty of time in our hand now, so for the first time in our tripping history we started all days of this trip post 9 Am. And this day was not an exception, we only had to cover around 150 km to Rakcham, and I thought it will be a piece of cake, how wrong I was.

After a heavy breakfast we started from Rampur at around 10:00 Am. It was a smooth drive from Rampur till Wangtu, with few bad patches, but nothing serious. Its after Wangtu when things started getting ugly. The road condition worsened from our 2011 trip, there was absolutely no road between Wangtu and Karcham. We drove at an average of 20 km/Hr, and while we were driving at the turtle pace, we saw PB number safari coming down from Karcham, and yes it was WE and Tanveer and his wife. We took a little break at this point and had a quick chit chat. In another few minutes I saw a black Safari, coming toward us, splashing the slush and water in style, and it was Harsh and Aarti on Kiyang.

It was kind of a mini Team-bhp meet right in the middle of Wangtu-Karcham, what a place to have a Team-bhp meet. But it was a very short meet, as we wanted to reach Rakcham at the earliest, while these guys wanted to go towards Jalori,

Rest of our journey towards Karcham was boring, painful and event-less except few bad patches, road from Karcham to Sangla is good from hill standards. We started getting snow right before Sangla and Nandini got excited. Meanwhile we had little problem to handle, couple of days before starting the trip, Nandini picked up mild cough, and we thought it should be ok. But it started getting aggravated as we reached Sangla. We rushed to Rakcham and to Rupin Hotel, checked in and decided to stay indoor for the day to give Nandini some rest and medicine.

But the moment we opened the terrace door of our room, she started shouting watching all that snow, as if she never had cough . It was around 3 pm when we ordered some tea and food at the hotel, and decided to do a walk outside on the snow for sometime. It was snow everywhere, pure addictive snow, and nobody to disturb you.

View from the our room at Bushehar Regency, Rampur
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-10.jpg

Lot of early morning birds
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-11.jpg

A lovely bridge on the way
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-1.jpg

Snow at Rakcham
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-2.jpg

A dream terrace
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-3.jpg

All you need to do is, RELAX
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-4.jpg

Outside Rupin River view hotel
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-5.jpg

More snow
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-6.jpg

We took a walk towards the river
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-7.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-8.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-9.jpg

Snow and lots of snow, its was delight
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-12.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-13.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-14.jpg

A lovely worker cleaning snow from the road, very friendly lady
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-15.jpg

me and Nandini
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.1-16.jpg
rkbharat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 19:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rajneesh, we had our bookings for Kaza as we wanted to spend most of time around Kaza, Ki, Losar, Pin valley etc, but a landslides broke all our plans, so we diverted to Kinnaur without any bookings. But as it was just the start of the seasons, either hotels were closed or empty. For day 1 we did not booked anything as we wanted to reach as close to Kalpa as possible, and I am aware of many stay options from Narkanda on wards

Now we will hit Kaza in Early May, unless we decide to Ladakh

Snow should be gone by April end, except something in Chitkul.

I changed to Bridgestone Potenza GIII just a week before the trip, a very good decision, as we had to cross snow, slush and bad roads

Let me know your plan and I will suggest on the route, distance and driving time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Super Photos Rajiv,

Could you also trace your route with distances. A few questions for you:

1) Did you pre-book the hotels or do it once you got there? 2) Till what time does snow stay in these parts? 3) Are you on the original tyres or have you changed them?

I am planning a trip to the hills in some time and this information will help me immensely.

Thanks.

Last edited by rkbharat : 13th April 2013 at 20:00.
rkbharat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 09:46   #7
BHPian

Great Travelogue Rajiv. And the pictures are breathtaking. The bird in the picture is Himalayan Bulbul. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_Bulbul
Couple of questions:-
  • Did you use a PND?
  • If yes then which one and how did it behave out there in the back of beyond? How was the map database (comprehensive/sketchy/not at all)? How was the satellite coverage?
  • How did the car behave throughout? Any GC issues on bad/no roads? Any scraping/bottoming out? Mileage, both in the mountains and in the plains?
  • Some pointers on the accommodation(s) available (with the tariff if possible) will be immense hep for others planning to head that way .
Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 14th April 2013 at 09:50. Reason: missed a point
Old 14th April 2013, 10:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Wow simply amazing pictures. The night shots are just awesome. Specially loved the star trails and the night starry sky. You have proved the sayings ' A picture is worth a thousand words'. Waiting eagerly for more to come.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Great Travelogue Rajiv. And the pictures are breathtaking. The bird in the picture is Himalayan Bulbul. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_Bulbul
Couple of questions:-
  • Did you use a PND?
  • If yes then which one and how did it behave out there in the back of beyond? How was the map database (comprehensive/sketchy/not at all)? How was the satellite coverage?
  • How did the car behave throughout? Any GC issues on bad/no roads? Any scraping/bottoming out? Mileage, both in the mountains and in the plains?
  • Some pointers on the accommodation(s) available (with the tariff if possible) will be immense hep for others planning to head that way .
Cheers !
I used Sygic + MapMyIndia and NavFree+Open Street Map, on my Android Phone and Tablet, both mounted on windscreen.

MMI is fantastic and OSM is a good compliment to MMI. Sygic keep record of all your tracks

MMI maps are quite detailed and comprehensive, and I had no issue catching the GPS sats.

SX4 has gone through some of the worst patches in past, like Ladakh, Zanskar, Spiti, Jalori Pass, Daranghati etc, so this was piece of cake.

GC of 190mm is sufficient in most cases, except on bad slush, did touched bottom once near ShongTong bridge.

There is accommodation available all across, and you can get it from budget to luxury.
rkbharat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 10:52   #9
Team-BHP Support

Beautifully captured! Esp the Shimla story (stack). And I must also add the car held on nicely! Must have been a great drive and great fun.
If I may ask what is your camera gear?

Last edited by ampere : 14th April 2013 at 11:20.
Old 14th April 2013, 11:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Beautifully captured! Esp the Shimla story (stack). And I must also add the car held on nicely! Must have been a great and great fun.
If I may ask what is your camera gear?
Thanks SX4 did wonderful over snow, slush and bad patches, no problem. The best part is its agility to drive through the super narrow tracks

I am using Nikon D800 and Nikon D7000 (both with battery grip), Tokina 16-28 F2.8 , Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC, Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR II and 50mm F1.4 G. I did used Lee Square GND for few shots and CPL for evening shots. Used Tripod for many shots. For the moon shots, I used Teleconverter TC-17e with 70-200

Last edited by rkbharat : 14th April 2013 at 11:11.
rkbharat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 11:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

We spent around an hour playing with snow and making a poor Snow-Woman, yes woman. I am not sure who gave this idea to Priyanka and Nandini, but I was outnumbered by the female fraternity, so had to comply. The whole valley was all for us, its was a reward for driving so far and taking all that pain. Driving to Manali was always an easy task, but how will you get a snow valley just for you.

Meanwhile it was good to see Nandini holding to the cold with very little cough. We spent some lovely time playing with snow. One of Nandini's agenda of snow fight was completed here, we still had three tasks left .

There were few more guest at Rupin but I guess they were just too scared to get there hands cleaned in that pure snow, good for us, we needed isolation . Around 5:30 Pm winds started picking up and it started snowing a bit. We decided to get indoor and enjoy the snowfall from our room.

There is not pics from night today due to heavy clouds, I was little sad, but then I was not aware of what is there in store for the morning. Nature never lets you down, just wait for the right time

Few last shots from Day 2

Nandini is happy, very happy to see all that snow
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.3-1.jpg

Walking on that soft snow was tough
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.3-2.jpg

Wearing gloves
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.3-3.jpg

A family shot
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.3-4.jpg

And the SNOW-WOMAN
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.3-5.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.3-6.jpg

Priyanka has picked up photography well , getting gears will be easy soon :P
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.3-7.jpg

Father Daughter talk
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.3-8.jpg

Few colors other than white
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-2.3-9.jpg
rkbharat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 11:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Day 3 - 30/Mar/2013
Last evening was dark and lousy due to heavy clouds, unfortunately it costed me a sunset and did not even snowed much to our delight. Because it was just too windy, we could not even go out, so had our late dinner in room and spent time talking.

I was not really sure about the morning as well, still the alarm was set for 5 Am. I kept watching the sky every now and then till 11 Pm, but nothing, no stars, no snowfall but all clouds so I took the bed for the day.

At 5 am, alarm woke me up religiously, I ran out to check the sky, it was clear, smile. And then I was hit, hit by the spine chilling cold, ran back to room as fast as I came out, packed my self with all warm cloths, except for gloves.

Between 5 AM and 7 AM sun and sky gave some wonderful light and colors.

Checkout yourself

Start of Sunrise Magic
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-1.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-2.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-3.jpg

First light falling
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-4.jpg

A different mood
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-5.jpg

And the first light
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-6.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-7.jpg

more peaks coming out of sleep
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-8.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-9.jpg

Even B&W looked beautiful
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-10.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-11.jpg

Hide & Seek
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-12.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-13.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-14.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-15.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-16.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-17.jpg

Finally a full Sun
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-18.jpg

Nice Shadows
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-19.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-20.jpg

Early morning walk
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-21.jpg

more shadows
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-22.jpg

Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-23.jpg

Beautiful Valley
Hunting for Snow - Kinnaur 2013-day-3.1-24.jpg
rkbharat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 13:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Thanks

I am using Nikon D800 and Nikon D7000 (both with battery grip), Tokina 16-28 F2.8 , Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC, Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR II and 50mm F1.4 G. I did used Lee Square GND for few shots and CPL for evening shots. Used Tripod for many shots. For the moon shots, I used Teleconverter TC-17e with 70-200
That's a list that can push any photographer to sheer state of envy! Though not a professional one, people like me too ! Thanks for that wonderful photologue! The pics are simply amazing, the moon shot swept me off my feet!
Old 14th April 2013, 13:31   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

rkbharat, Those are some Amazing pictures. Excellent start to the travelogue, waiting for more.

Even i had been dreaming to be in Spiti at this time of the year, but an upcoming business trip to Foreign lands has spoiled my plans. I plan to go there this season, but only after all this Snow melts.

Rating the thread well deserving 5 stars!
Old 14th April 2013, 15:29   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I am using Nikon D800 and Nikon D7000 (both with battery grip), Tokina 16-28 F2.8 , Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC, Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VR II and 50mm F1.4 G. I did used Lee Square GND for few shots and CPL for evening shots. Used Tripod for many shots. For the moon shots, I used Teleconverter TC-17e with 70-200[/quote]

You are using one of the best camera gears available in the market! Your pictures definitely do justice to what you own.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed