Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:31   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnawaz_b View Post
Great Travalogue Parag.. Can You give more details on DIY Armrest? Is it available online or custom made? Can I fit it on my Chevy Spark? sorry
I have answered your query in detail and you can find the same in my ownership thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3110569
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 18:21   #92
BHPian

Superb travelogue, loved the way you presented. I've been seeing and doing quite a bit of research on this travelogue since the time you wrote, but due to some unavoidable personal reasons, I was unable to comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Superb editing.
crazyfordriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 17:33   #93
BHPian

Quote:
We are glued paragsachania, when are you continuing? A long time since you have updated!
Please update the later parts as well.
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 17:39   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
We are glued paragsachania, when are you continuing? A long time since you have updated!
I will be updating the rest of the details either tonight or tomorrow. I am done compressing the photos and editing them to fit the log. Just that I have to start writing it for day 6 now .

Been busy at work and weekends with family that I got little time to move ahead on this.

Thank you for your patience, you should soon see an update on this thread
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 14:43   #95
BHPian

Oh My God !!! Amazing stuff I have been reading from past 1 hour. Infact i stopped my work to read your travelogue. Now I have to get back to it and cover up for the missed time .

Nevertheless, this is one of the best as it gives complete end to end knowledge of What, Why and How. Hats off .. Waiting to read your last leg of the journey.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 16:13   #96

finished the log in a single sitting and waiting for the rest of the trip. your total attitude towards highway driving is exemplary. but please do find some time to complete the log. needless to state that we are enjoying every single word, you are putting in.
sanjoy50 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 13:48   #97
BHPian

Hi Parag - We are eager to see the journey completed. Please finish the t-log.
advaitlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 16:59   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

I admit I have partly been lazy enough to finish this travelogue and mostly been busy with work and my recent drive to Mumbai/Pune and back last week which now takes my car’s ODO to the stupendous 200000kms!!
So here I present the rest of the details of my drive on the GQ continuing with Day 6.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 6: Kharagpur - Vizag
Distance: 803 Kms
Start time: 1430 Hours (10th May 2012)
End time: 0130 Hours (11th May 2013)

Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-log.jpg

This is the last capture before exiting from Kharagpur city.
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-50.jpg

Post our highly distasteful lunch at Kharagpur Railway station, we drove approximately 30 kms on a single carriageway lane to touch the Golden Quadrilateral around 14:30 hours.
Due to the design of the median, we could spot so many trucks parked on the median:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-51.jpg
The road conditions are mostly good and concretized and we begin to gain pace quickly settling between 100-110kmph most of the times:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-52.jpg
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-54.jpg
A couple of sections had a convoy of trucks happily parked on the median:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-55.jpg
CHENNAI is now regularly appearing on the signage and it hints that we have now become to drive down south:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-56.jpg
Just another freight train carrying coal on a hot may afternoon:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-57.jpg
Traffic is absolutely thin in this section of the Golden Quadrilateral as we begin to encounter so many empty stretches.
Another reason could be the sweltering summer heat that may have kept the truckers off the roads and made them nocturnal:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-58.jpg

Now begins the ordeal of dealing with perhaps the worst section of GQ which was officially undone (dating back to May 2012). The next set of snaps tells you how misleading will this “Good” road be for a first time driver on this sector. Most the culverts and bridges had this uneven, peeled off layer of tarmac over the concrete which gave a perfectly horrible experience.

We had to slow down to the 20s and second gear while crossing each of such bad patches:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-59.jpg
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-61.jpg

We look forward to cross Cuttack and Bhubaneshwar now and enter into the 11th state on the 6th day of our drive!!
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-62.jpg

Not a surprising catch anyways:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-63.jpg

West Bengal-Orissa Border:
This was the most clogged border entry (Into Orissa) that we encountered comparable to entering Haryana and West Bengal. Beeline of trucks parked all over the highway blocking all the lanes and a tiny hatch back trying to wonder where will it escape the mess.
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-64.jpg
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-65.jpg
Ah!! The break in the median is a hint that I take the wrong side (lets not talk rules while crossing a clogged border):
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-66.jpg
Then we merrily start driving on the wrong side.
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-67.jpg
While the attendant at the RTO booth suspiciously looks at a car bearing a KA Registration plate!!
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-68.jpg
We again get back to the left corridor only to get stuck in between trucks like these:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-70.jpg

After we cross the border and enter Orissa, we are still greeted by innumerable freight trains transporting coal.
This one was mighty long I must say:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-73.jpg

Empty roads make us grin and push the throttle and gain speeds:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-75.jpg

224 Kms more to Bhubaneshwar means we cross the Capital of this state only in the late evening.
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-78.jpg

Driving ahead, we encounter plenty of such diversions along with some beautifully laid concretized roads with superb road markings too:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-79.jpg
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-81.jpg
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-84.jpg

An undone Railway overbridge and the effects of it on the GQ:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-88.jpg

It was a seesaw of good and bad roads all the way till Bhubaneshwar:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-91.jpg

Even for my travelogue, I am beginning to suspect that this is overdose of pictures for freight trains:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-93.jpg

(Day 6 continues.......)
Old 31st May 2013, 17:29   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

(Continued......Day 6)

Excellent road surface which is better than the concretized sections which we passed a while before:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-94.jpg
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-95.jpg

The condition of both the trucks clearly indicates the intensity of impact in this accident:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-97.jpg

A neat shoulder dotted with palm trees all along:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-9902.jpg
Also tells that my windshield needs a cleaning!!

What Bangalore’s famed Madiwala underpass must learn from the barrier before the Railway Bridge that prevents taller trucks from accidentally colliding the Bridge and cause catastrophic damage! I have seen many a times container trucks getting stuck at Madiwala underpass post 10pm and cops and drivers struggling to get the monsters out.
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-9903.jpg

A shining temple complex we passed nearing Cuttack:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-9908.jpg

Bridge over river Baitarani (IIRC):
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-9909.jpg

Traffic started to build up as we crossed Jajpur. It was good to see the presence of so many cops, a few of them holding metal sign boards in their hands to control traffic:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-9912.jpg

Construction work was in full swing as we approached Cuttack.
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-9915.jpg

Retrofit spare wheel for Humara BajajSojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-9916.jpg

We crossed the cities of Cuttack and Bhubaneshwar between 6 and 7:30pm in thick traffic that drastically slowed down our pace:
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-9918.jpg
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-9919.jpg

The last capture for Day 6 (Apologies for the shaken image but that’s the only one I have):
Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-ff-9920.jpg

Rest of the events on Day 6:

An unexpected Jam:

We stopped for Tea break soon after crossing Bhubaneshwar. Further to this, we began to drive passing the Salt lake of Chilikha and the town of Bhulagaon and Bhramhapur in the next few hours. This section of the GQ was very bad with so many unfinished sections and huge speed-breakers. We crossed at least 3 railway crossing ever since we started after Bhubaneshwar. It was evident that most of the GQ was diverted into minor roads due to the work for Railway Over Bridges.

At one point we encountered a huge jam along with the presence of innumerable cops around 8pm. We could see that traffic was stopped from both the sides and cops were too reluctant to allow any private traffic too. Dark through the thick trees in a valley far away, we see a huge truck driven in reverse and we wondered why on earth was he doing it? When the truck began closing in, we realized it was a trailer truck carrying Hyundai cars and he was fantastically taking on the curves in reverse carefully assessing only through the mirrors and his faithful torch-bearing “Cleaner” waving the torch at him and finally reach the summit (where we were all waiting).

Cops then signal us to move and I along with another Tata Sumo start off like a chained dog let loose. We still wondered why the Trailer was asked to reverse till we reach a very narrow stretch of a road through a village with a T-Junction where taking right would continue on the main highway while left would lead into a village. It was evident that the trailer would have never made it through this section.

Dinner break:
There is no signage to indicate how far we are from Andhra Pradesh border as we were inquisitive to cross Orissa for some consistent good roads now!! It was around 9:15PM and we find a well lit Dhaba and we stop there for dinner. We order just plain Daal and Rice with carbonated drinks to quench the thirst in a hot climate even at that time of the day. The TV at the Dhaba was airing Telugu channel and that hinted that we might now be close to the AP border though maps still hinted another 60 kms to border.

Election time in Andhra Pradesh, Cops stop us thrice in 3 hours:
We continue our journey and finally enter Andhra Pradesh soon to be stopped by cops. Normally I turn on my cabin lights and they insist on opening the boot door. They lift each and every bag and try to “feel” currency notes and fail. They then ask my cousin to open the side door at the rear and focus their torch lights. They ask me where we are heading to and where we came from. We explain them the purpose and they look at the well lit MapMyIndia device hooked onto the Dashboard and smile to let us go!!

We are stopped twice again in similar fashion with checking of Boot and side door on both the occasions till we finally enter the beautiful city of Vizag around 1AM at night.

Good night day 6:
We settle at Hotel Meghalaya (URL:http://www.hotelmeghalaya.com/)where room was booked by one of my friends. After a quick shower, it was time to hit the bed with a feeling that “Tomorrow” is going to be the last leg of our GQ drive!!!

(Last leg of the GQ all the way to Bangalore via Chennai on Day 7 ....Continued)

Last edited by paragsachania : 31st May 2013 at 17:45.
Old 31st May 2013, 17:54   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Waiting to read your last leg of the journey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Hi Parag - We are eager to see the journey completed. Please finish the t-log.
Updated the complete details of day 6 folks. What remains now is just the last leg on day 2 between Vizag and Bangalore via Chennai to finish the drive Golden Quadrilateral.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 02:48   #101
Senior - BHPian

Thank you!
It was a much awaited report.
The coal trains I guess are from the ports going inland since most of the coal are imported for electricity production.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:38   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 7: Vizag - Chennai - Bangalore
Distance driven : ~1250 Kms
Start time: 13:30 Hours - 11th May 2012
End time: 0830 Hours - 12th May 2012

Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-log.jpg

The Hotel offered complimentary breakfast as part of the package and we relished on some much missed south Indian breakfast after a gap of one full week. After finishing the check out formalities, we visited a nearby ATM for withdrawing some cash good enough to take us all the way to Bangalore.

The feeling of driving on the 7th Day was different. More so due to the fact that by the end of this leg we would have completed driving on the Golden Quadrilateral.Unlike the usual drives coming to an end with a sad feeling, this one was keeping us all in the right spirits.

Driving from Vizag all the way till we entered Tamil Nadu Border after Nellore late at night, we encountered huge statues all over the Highway. Most common were of Lord Hanuman followed by a famous Politician and Swami Vivekananda.

We were amused at the frequency at which we kept spotting these monolithic statues.

Attaching a few of the captured images we managed to click under natural light:

Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-g-38.jpg

Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-g-46.jpg

Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-g-58.jpg

Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-g-67.jpg

Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-g-68.jpg

Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-gg-9907.jpg

Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-gg-9930.jpg

Sojourn on the Golden Quadrilateral in my WagonR F10D-gg-9931.jpg

(Rest of the log continues....)
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 20:51   #103
BHPian

Thank you very much.
Tomorrow afternoon I am leaving to Bhubaneshwar, and returning on 8th. Sri.H.V.Kumar also sent me lots of minute details.
Regards.
B.R.S.Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 10:21   #104
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b]

Driving from Vizag all the way till we entered Tamil Nadu Border after Nellore late at night, we encountered huge statues all over the Highway. Most common were of Lord Hanuman followed by a famous Politician and Swami Vivekananda.

We were amused at the frequency at which we kept spotting these monolithic statues.

Attaching a few of the captured images we managed to click under natural light:

(Rest of the log continues....)
None of these statues are monoliths. Most of them are plain concrete statues
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 10:49   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
None of these statues are monoliths. Most of them are plain concrete statues
Thank you! I should have rather meant just plain statues than explicitly using the word "monoliths" which was only a metaphorical term used to indicate that these structures or no smaller than the typical monolithic structures dating back to our History.

The reason for the post was to depict the numerous statues seen all over this part of the GQ in just a few hours.

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th June 2013 at 10:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks