Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2013, 20:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - An update

I've counted quite a few cameras in the Thrissur-Angamaly stretch of NH 47. These are mounted on poles on the divider and are rear-facing. Placed strategically in the fastest strips of road and some red lights.
Has anyone here been caught on camera for violating the speed limit in this strech?
Curious to know as I frequently do Tcr-Ekm runs.
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
@convivial, where did you stay at Kollur? I can see two hotels nearby in Google maps: A. Beena Residency and B. Abimon Residency International Luxury Boutique Hotel

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=va...ra=ls&t=h&z=19
I stayed at Beena Residency the last time I went. I keep changing between Sri Ratna and Devikripa. Sri Ratna is undergoing renovation, so not an option as of now. Beena has ample parking space. See my review on TripAdvisor here -

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...Karnataka.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
@convivial, in your next trip try to add Madayi Kavu also (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madayi_Kavu http://www.madayikavu.com/how-to-reach ) to the list of temple to visit
Thanks Rajesh. I will certainly include in my next trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Correct, bridge at Kollam is not a blocker any more. Regarding the speed camera's they are all functional, but by now the places where speed cameras are placed are known and speed down accordingly. There are speed cameras in the usual cherthala - aroor stretch and beyond, but they are all fairly visible and the traffic moves accordingly. Alleppey - Ambalapuzha is not that great, but doable.

The problem with MC stretch is that even though the stretch is not longer by a huge margin, it just drags on and on, giving one a never ending feeling. NH by comparison feels much faster.

why did you chose to go via cochin, when you could have followed the MC road all the way to Angamali?
That's the route I usually travel though the stretch between Kottayam and Ettumanoor has wrecked my plans couple of times. If you cross that part early, its good otherwise the traffic will kill you.

Its actually the condition of the roads that made me shift to Perunna-Alleppey-Cochin-Angamaly. I was trying to enquire if the Perunna-Angamaly MC Road has been relaid. Does any one have some pointers? Its great if the roads are good. Winding roads and less traffic - more importantly, I dont have to go through Cochin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithpnair View Post
Your habit of scribling every now and then record od and timing is to be well appreciated. This not only helping yourself to understand the city or place condition but also helps to write such a detailed and informative update.

Thanks again.
Thanks a lot Sujith. Its an overhead, certainly, but has helped me tremendously when I plan a trip later.
convivial is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 12:15   #18
BHPian

Thanks a lot for this travelogue @convivial! I'm planning to do a trip to Mookambika in May and this is certainly helping me get my plans right! Hope you had a great darshan there.

And I was a little shocked when I saw you took the MC Road. I used to love the MC road for its beautifully laid roads and landscapes. But there are lots of towns you'l have to pass through, reducing your average speed. Keeping a constant speed of 70-80 kmph in the NH seems way easier to me, though you've covered it pretty fast! But still, I love the MC!

Btw, is TVM-Kollur doable in a single day if starting off early? And most people say the roads after kannur are treacherous! But I understood that you were pretty satisfied with the roads. Can you elaborate the kind of roads and traffic? Is it in any ways comparable to Tvm-Kollam alike stretches? And is there any alternate route to Kollur?

Thank you!
Old 25th October 2013, 09:47   #19
BHPian

I've done the trip from Kollam to Mookambika during 2011 in my Fiesta.

Day1:
Left Kollam, Ernakulam, Calicut, Kannur, visited Pazhashinikadavu Muthappan temple and night stay there.

Day 2:

Started at 8AM. Visited Sri Rajarajeshwari Temple at Taliparambu, also the Bekal Fort. Reached Mangalore at 3PM. Had a small shopping. Left M'lore for Uduppi. Visited Uduppi temple. Drove to Mookambika. Reached by 11:30PM.

Day 3:

Visited Mookambika temple, had darshan, left Mookambika by 11AM. had lunch at M'lore, dinner somewhere near Calicut, drove all night and reached Kollam at 6AM the next day.
Old 9th April 2014, 14:23   #20
BHPian

Trivandrum - Kasargode - Mangalore - Kollur :: Kerala Roads - Revisited

Almost same time last year, I happened to chance upon this thread by convivial. We had just completed purchase of a 2010 Safari EX and was thrilled at the prospect of driving up to Kollur. Its that time of the year again, and we are going on the same trip! One difference - we are all older by an year - might not sound significant for us adults, but for the boys - its definitely going to be different .

Last year we had just little over 4 days to complete the round trip. Started off from TRV late Wed night, drove throughout the night, reached Kannur around 9 AM the following morning (Thu), had breakfast and nonstop to Kollur. If my memory serves me good, we managed to reach the Temple late afternoon / early evening. Checked into the accommodation that is run by the Temple priest, made arrangements for Pooja for the next morning and also the night pooja then retired after dinner.

Next day (Fri), we performed the morning Pooja and mostly spent the rest of the day in and around that place. We had made arrangements for the evening pooja with the Priest the day before, so had a good darshan. Spent a lot of time inside the temple.

Sat morning, we bid good bye to the Priest and his family and went off to Muradeshwar Temple. It was pretty hot time of the day, went up to the temple and later spent quality time by the beach. We even did some jet ski. had lunch and started off towards Trivandrum. By late evening, we reached Udupi and took a turn and visited the Temple. There was a loooong queue at the temple, as it happened to be some local festive day. But good for the boys as they could see huge chariots being pulled thru the streets all light up. It was close to 8/9PM we started off towards TRV. Had dinner from Udupi and drove nonstop. Reached Kannur around 5/6 AM next day (Sun). by this time the trip and the long driving durations was taking its toll on me. We stopped the car and I had a power nap for about 2 hrs.

Feeling energized, drove down to TRV stopping for breakfast and lunch along the way and reached home late evening.

Highlight of the trip was we got to spend good time at the Temple, had a good darshan and poojas, plus got the opportunity to go to Muradeshwar and also the Udupi Temple. On the turn leg, I had told my wife - this is one trip I would rather not drive all the way !!! But to be honest, one year on and I’m really looking forward to the trip :-).

Regards
Bugs
bhagathmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:43   #21
BHPian

It's time for this year's visit to Mookambika temple. Though I have driven this stretch so many times, the drive along the narrow, busy streets from Kannur to Kasargode makes me disturbed.

Does any one know how the roads are from Kannur to Mangalore and the stretch between Mangalore and Kundapure? Has someone travelled in the last one month?

I was thinking of taking the Salem - Hosur route to drive from Trivandrum. Its a whole 400+ kms more, but the drive from Kavalkinar would be so much more enjoyable than driving through Kerala.

Any thoughts?
Old 23rd March 2015, 20:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by convivial View Post
It's time for this year's visit to Mookambika temple.

You are right, it is that time of the year again. I am also thinking about similar lines as I am fed up of nh17. But looks like there is no other option apart from travelling through the night till kannur and then using the usual route. Have you contemplated the route through karkala - sankaranarayana.? I will confirm and post a route map. Tomorrow once I am in office.
Old 23rd March 2015, 22:29   #23
BHPian

Google maps throws up an alternative route via Kalpetta-Mananthavady-Gonikoppa-Madikeri-Sullia-Mangaluru that's a 100 km longer but would avoid NH17 in North Kerala. Should be scenic too. I have not gone this way beyond Coorg.
Old 23rd March 2015, 22:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's time for this year's visit to Mookambika temple. Though I have driven this stretch so many times, the drive along the narrow, busy streets from Kannur to Kasargode makes me disturbed.
Does any one know how the roads are from Kannur to Mangalore and the stretch between Mangalore and Kundapure? Has someone travelled in the last one month?
I had been to Kollur and back, during the third week of last month.
An update
I went through Ponnani and Chamravattom to Kozhikose from Kochi.
Roads were good till Kannur and onward for some more distance.
Roads are bumpy and bouncy from Kasargode to Mangalore.
Stayed at Udipi on the first day and at Kollur on the second day.
From Mangalore to Kundapura is still full of deviations and diversions due to 4-laning work, which appears to be a never ending process.
Visited Dharmasthala on the third day. The drive from Kollur to Dharmasthala was on good tarmac, though quite narrow.
From Dharmasthala joined Kanhangad through some narrow roads, bypassing Mangalore. On the condition of this stretch, simply put, the roads are quite nice on the Karnataka side and pothole ridden on the Kerala side.

Last edited by rajeev k : 23rd March 2015 at 22:56.
Old 25th March 2015, 19:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishk View Post
Google maps throws up an alternative route via Kalpetta-Mananthavady-Gonikoppa-Madikeri-Sullia-Mangaluru that's a 100 km longer but would avoid NH17 in North Kerala. Should be scenic too. I have not gone this way beyond Coorg.
NH17 is far better than this hilly & winding roads.
Old 25th March 2015, 19:38   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was thinking of taking the Salem - Hosur route to drive from Trivandrum. Its a whole 400+ kms more, but the drive from Kavalkinar would be so much more enjoyable than driving through Kerala.
Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
You are right, it is that time of the year again. I am also thinking about similar lines as I am fed up of nh17. But looks like there is no other option apart from travelling through the night till kannur and then using the usual route. Have you contemplated the route through karkala - sankaranarayana.? I will confirm and post a route map. Tomorrow once I am in office.
Here is one more option: (In case one is not inclined to take the crowded NH17)

TVM-Madurai-Dindigul-Oddanchatram-Dharapuram-Palladam-Mangalam-Avinashi-Annur-Sathyamangalam-T-Narasipur-Bannur-Srirangapatna-Pandavpura-KR Pete-Channarayapatna-Arsikere-Ayyanur-Ripponpete-Hosanagara-Nagara-Nittur-Kollur.

Bypasses all the major towns, and roads are very good all the way. Though on quite many of the sections you will have to drive on 2-lane.

Route Link

Last edited by ampere : 25th March 2015 at 19:45.
Old 6th September 2016, 15:46   #27
BHPian

Planning a trip from Trivandrum to Kollur and back to Trivandrum with a detour to Coorg and Mysore on the way back.

Dates - Sep 11 2016, Sunday to Sep 18 2016 Sunday

Current plan is as below

Day 1
Trivandrum > Kozhikode
Stay at Kozhikode with dinner at paragon
Estimated travel time - 10 hrs with stops for food and refreshment
Route - MC Road from Trivandrum till Angamaly, then via Thrissur-Kuttipuram-Kottakal

Day 2

Kozhikode > Mangalore
Stay at Mangalore with stops at bekal fort and Ananthapura temple in Kasargod
Estimated travel time - 7 hrs with stops for food and refreshment

Day 3

Mangalore > Kollur (Via Murudeshwar)
Stay at Kollur with stops at Udupi and Murudeshwar
Estimated travel time 6 hrs with stops for food and refreshment

Day 4

Kollur > Madikeri
Stay at Madikeri
Estimated Travel time 7 hrs with stops for food and refreshment

Day 5

Wander Around Madikeri - Tala Kaveri, Madikeri Fort etc

Day 6
Madikeri > Mysore

Stops at Bylakuppe Buddhist Monastry & sight seeing in and around Mysore

Estimated Travel time 5 hrs with stops for food and refreshment

Day 7
Mysore > Kannur (Anjarakandy)
Attending a friend's marriage at Anjarakandy in Kannur
Planning to head towards trivandrum after the marriage. Place of stay will be decided as we travel. Options are Thrissur/Aluva

Day 8
Thrissur/Aluva > Trivandrum

I did read through some very informative posts on this thread. Still, I Would appreciate any comments and suggestions regarding routes,current road conditions, good places for stay, places to visit, good eateries etc for all the first 7 days.

Vehicle I will be driving is my 2011 Figo TDCi with 1,10,000 km on odo.

Last edited by hardoop : 6th September 2016 at 15:56. Reason: missed a word
Old 8th October 2019, 12:21   #28
BHPian

Latest update on Kollur-Mangalore-Calicut-Trichur roads

Kollur to Kundapura : fine roads but tarring gone and some uneven places but overall good road.

Kundapura Udupi Suratkal : Barring small stretch in Kundapura bypass the road is superb till Suratkal

Suratkal to Mangalore : Full potholes (some craters) but minor patchwork works going on. Advisable to drive below 60km

Mangalore to Kasargod : Excellent road till Thalapady and no roads after Thalapady to Kasargod. NH is in a pathetic condition

Kasargod-Kannur-Calicut : Mostly good roads as previous conditions.

Calicut - Trichur : Good roads : but deviation after Kuttipuram bridge as works on Edapal flyover..
Old 27th December 2019, 14:49   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

A partial update - (Calicut - Kollur)

25th Dec

Calicut - Kollur

Started from Calicut at 05.50 AM, one of the major bottle neck on this road nowadays, Koyilandy town was empty and we crossed Vadakara in 50 minutes. Something which was not achievable since past many years now.

Thalassery & Mahe towns were also not crowded, past Valapattanam bridge we took left on to SH. This section of road is a beautiful 2 lane roads which avoids the many climbs and twists on NH at this section.

After joining NH, we stopped at Hotel Jesna around 08.30 for breakfast.

This was the only descent place open, however unless you are looking for breakfast option, would suggest you try elsewhere. There are lots of options open by lunchtime.

Road conditions till here are good.

After half hour stop, started from here and was able to reach Udupi by 12.30 PM.

Roads to north of Kasargod are bit rough, but no potholes as like few years back. Once you cross KA, roads are good throughout.

Stopped at Udupi for lunch at a relatives place and proceeded to temple.

Road work around Kundapura is still moving at snails pace, I didn't find any major difference in situation from this year mid when I visited earlier.

Onward journey, past Kundapura we took right turn from Tallur and proceeded on SH. This road, though devoid of any potholes, is not in good condition. Would suggest Baindur route, though slightly longer since road conditions are good there. We took this on way back from temple.

Noticed Thalaserry - Mahe byepass work ongoing, hope it gets over soon, one would be able to save atleast 20 minutes once its done.

Return journey was a pain since it was on a working day, taking around 8 hours for Mangalore - Calicut.

On way back, took road via Taliparamba (NH) just to check how it is now. Stopped at KTDC - Tamarind restaurant, good place. Had stopped at KTDC Aaram earlier and was not happy with service there, that is converted to a beer bar now.

Regarding stay options at Kollur, you can refer my post here (Kollur - places to stay?)
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed