Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 22:26   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Darjeeling -> Pelling -> Holong in a Toyota Etios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Firstly i want to make an honest confession that am not a good writer. So i will try to keep things short and simple.
This opening line of yours would get the most mention & not without reason.

Quote:
Inside the bungalow there were few big lizards, which looked beautiful but on further inquiry we were told those are not lizards they are called Thak-khak.
Attachment 1076755

My wife ran away screaming after seeing this pic

BTW, are these poisonous. Do they behave like lizards?

Quote:
Soon we crossed Purnea and by the next couple of hour we were just 15 kms away from Bhagalpur. But to our sheer bad luck that was the day for Ganga snan and we were stranded behind a huge traffic congestion. Police didn't allow any vehicle to overtake from the right side. So every vehicle was stranded on the line. We were stranded from 1pm till 5pm flat before entering Bhagalpur town. So a 4 hours drive took 9 hours time! We reached hotel by 6pm. Inquired the locals for a good hotel and they recommended us Hotel Rajhans international. I must say its way expensive than the kind of rooms they offer. Its not at all a value for money stay. But we didn't had any other options so we checked in for the night. The good thing was we had some awesome sweets at Bhagalpur which is one of the reasons the city is famous for!
Bhagalpur is famous for silk. It is known as the Silk City of India. Wiki

In case I knew about your travel-plans, I would have warned you about this.

The Hotels over here are over priced. There is a very good (newly opened) Hotel near the Railway Station. It has its name by God Sai. Can't exactly recall the name.

Thanks for sharing this awesome log
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 23:11   #17
BHPian

I do not want comment on your being a good writer or not, but man, what awesome pictures. I see very clearly you being a pro at that. It is a shame that all pictures did not load for me in the mobile app. Thanks a lot for the wonderful travelogue. Do keep sharing your newer ones.
mkovuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 23:27   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
This opening line of yours would get the most mention & not without reason.

Attachment 1076755

My wife ran away screaming after seeing this pic

BTW, are these poisonous. Do they behave like lizards?

Bhagalpur is famous for silk. It is known as the Silk City of India. Wiki

In case I knew about your travel-plans, I would have warned you about this.

The Hotels over here are over priced. There is a very good (newly opened) Hotel near the Railway Station. It has its name by God Sai. Can't exactly recall the name.

Thanks for sharing this awesome log

First of all i would like to thank you, that you really liked it.

This is the first time i was writing a travelogue in Team BHP, so keeping the standards of Team BHP in mind i was a bit tensed.

Even my mom was scared of this lizard (Thak-khak). Locals say they are harmless.

Yes i missed out about the Bhagalpuri silk, thanks for mentioning it. Next time i do this route i will definitely ask you in prior about the present road conditions and hotels.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 00:05   #19

Quote:
Even my mom was scared of this lizard (Thak-khak). Locals say they are harmless.

These are indeed harmless reptiles, one specific trait of this species is, these can remain idle for days and weeks together on a roof or wall, they do make characteristic sound twice or thrice a day. The sight is indeed frightening and even more peculiar is the thought that you have to spend the night with it in the same room.

In the year of 2000 I had the opportunity of staying at a tea garden in upper Assam for a month, two of these were my regular room mates, the acted the role of perfect alarm clock in the morning time.

Enjoyed your log from beginning till end. You have really got a lucid style of writing with perfect sense of photography , hoping to get many more like this in future.
arin2323 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 11:49   #20
BHPian

Boss! I demand that you recant your first line immediately. Perfect trip report - details, road conditions, and pictures - you have perfectly shot kanchenjunga, the rhino, the streams!
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 12:22   #21
BHPian

Awesome pictures. I always wanted to do Siliguri because I have heard a lot about this place. Now I am surely doing it in the near future.

The log and stills were really cool. Keep it up buddy

Cheers
voyageur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 23:13   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Wonderful log and pictures.
Rhinos, birdies, greens looks so nice through your lens.

Thanks for sharing
Thanks a lot. Your travelogue on kumbh mela was also one of my inspiration on writing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovuri View Post
I do not want comment on your being a good writer or not, but man, what awesome pictures. I see very clearly you being a pro at that. It is a shame that all pictures did not load for me in the mobile app. Thanks a lot for the wonderful travelogue. Do keep sharing your newer ones.
Thanks a lot. When you log in from your computer then you can check out all the pictures. I will definitely share more travelogues in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin2323 View Post
These are indeed harmless reptiles, one specific trait of this species is, these can remain idle for days and weeks together on a roof or wall, they do make characteristic sound twice or thrice a day. The sight is indeed frightening and even more peculiar is the thought that you have to spend the night with it in the same room.

In the year of 2000 I had the opportunity of staying at a tea garden in upper Assam for a month, two of these were my regular room mates, the acted the role of perfect alarm clock in the morning time.

Enjoyed your log from beginning till end. You have really got a lucid style of writing with perfect sense of photography , hoping to get many more like this in future.
Thanks and i will definitely try to share more with Team BHP.
This lizard stayed in our room and that was the only reason my mom couldn't get a sound sleep for the whole night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Boss! I demand that you recant your first line immediately. Perfect trip report - details, road conditions, and pictures - you have perfectly shot kanchenjunga, the rhino, the streams!
Thanks and glad to know you liked it. Keeping the high standard of this forum in mind i tried my best not to let Team BHP down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Awesome pictures. I always wanted to do Siliguri because I have heard a lot about this place. Now I am surely doing it in the near future.

The log and stills were really cool. Keep it up buddy

Cheers
Thanks a lot. Siliguri is the foot hills. So basing Siliguri you can cover many beautiful places in North Bengal and Sikkim including Himalaya's and jungle both.

Last edited by Samba : 27th April 2013 at 23:21.
Old 28th April 2013, 19:01   #23
BHPian

Fantastic Travelogue and amazing pictures.
There is so much to see in North East and it is so pure, so untouched

Last edited by InControl : 28th April 2013 at 19:03.
InControl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 16:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Superb travelogue. Loved every bit of it. Good to know that Etios can take up all kinds of terrains.

Darjeeling has to be my most favorite destination in India. 3 of us had done a trip of Darjeeling-Sikkim-Kolkatta in 2007 and it was a dream trip.

We reached Darjeeling in the evening and a contact took us to a hotel. By the time, we reached the hotel it was already pitch dark, so we went off to sleep. Morning 7 AM when we woke up and opened the door of the terrace, we were like Absolutely jaw-dropping view of the kanchenjunga! I cannot just forget that sight, even if i suffer from amnesia.

After spending 4 days in Darjeeling instead of the scheduled 2 days, we moved to Sikkim. On the way to Sikkim, we stopped for White Water Rafting in the river Teestha. Another mind blowing experience.

Darjeeling is a MUST visit place for everyone who has not seen it even once. You will forget most of the hill stations in India, IMO.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers !
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 21:12   #25
BHPian

Samba: Truly wonderful travelogue and wonderfuller pics (If I may). The North has been a truly wonderful part of Bengal and I remember visiting the Hills year after year every Summer as a kid. Darjeeling with its Mall road, Planters Club, Dekevas Restaurant, Glenarys and Keventers evokes such fond memories. We've been planning a trip too for ages, but somehow, exotic destinations always get the Nod. Now, I'm sure, that its back to the Queen of the Hills, very soon.

I'm pretty sure guidance will not be a problem with 2 experts: yourself and 1100D.
premjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 23:11   #26
Team-BHP Support

Modesty of the highest level!!! Awesome pictures. North Bengal and specially Darjeeling is very close to my heart. In the past 1 year I frequented the place more than 6 times. Wonderful to see you enjoyed the place as well. The hotel Summit Grace seems to be nice. Once again, great travelogue.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 00:50   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
Fantastic Travelogue and amazing pictures.
There is so much to see in North East and it is so pure, so untouched
Thanks a lot. Yes indeed there are many places to see in North East. To cover the whole North East at one time will take number of days, so you can cover it part by part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Superb travelogue. Loved every bit of it. Good to know that Etios can take up all kinds of terrains.

Darjeeling has to be my most favorite destination in India. 3 of us had done a trip of Darjeeling-Sikkim-Kolkatta in 2007 and it was a dream trip.

We reached Darjeeling in the evening and a contact took us to a hotel. By the time, we reached the hotel it was already pitch dark, so we went off to sleep. Morning 7 AM when we woke up and opened the door of the terrace, we were like Absolutely jaw-dropping view of the kanchenjunga! I cannot just forget that sight, even if i suffer from amnesia.

After spending 4 days in Darjeeling instead of the scheduled 2 days, we moved to Sikkim. On the way to Sikkim, we stopped for White Water Rafting in the river Teestha. Another mind blowing experience.

Darjeeling is a MUST visit place for everyone who has not seen it even once. You will forget most of the hill stations in India, IMO.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers !
Thanks! Yes sighting the kanchenjunga is really a jaw dropping experience. The best time to view kanchenjunga is April/May otherwise October/November.
Rafting in Teesta always seemed to be thrilling for me but am too afraid to try it! If you have written about your rafting experience anywhere, please share the link with us will love to read your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by premjit View Post
Samba: Truly wonderful travelogue and wonderfuller pics (If I may). The North has been a truly wonderful part of Bengal and I remember visiting the Hills year after year every Summer as a kid. Darjeeling with its Mall road, Planters Club, Dekevas Restaurant, Glenarys and Keventers evokes such fond memories. We've been planning a trip too for ages, but somehow, exotic destinations always get the Nod. Now, I'm sure, that its back to the Queen of the Hills, very soon.

I'm pretty sure guidance will not be a problem with 2 experts: yourself and 1100D.
Thanks!
Yes i second you the experience of having food at Glenarys or Keventers is truly wonderful. This time due to lack of time we missed it. But i remember my earlier sweet memories over these places.
Yes if you need any kind of guidance on this route will definitely try my level best to guide you though am no expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Modesty of the highest level!!! Awesome pictures. North Bengal and specially Darjeeling is very close to my heart. In the past 1 year I frequented the place more than 6 times. Wonderful to see you enjoyed the place as well. The hotel Summit Grace seems to be nice. Once again, great travelogue.
Thanks!
Darjeeling is a place which is very close to my dad's heart. He always wants to visit Darjeeling when ever he gets free time. From my child hood i have visited this place many times and i must say am in love with this place too.
I have read your travelogue on Sandakphu and after that 1100D wrote his experience. Both these wonderful travelogue were also my inspiration to write about our journey and i must add both of your travelogues are inspiring me to do a drive till Sandakphu but i don't have a proper vehicle to negotiate that kind of a road. So may be sometimes in the future. Till then i may plan for the silk route in Sikkim or Bhutan in my Etios.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 08:54   #28
BHPian

Just like to share some info on the animals:

Image 3818 is some kind of gecko. Not sure about the species though! My hunch is that it could be a common house gecko!

Image 4090 is scaly breasted munia
vishwasvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 14:33   #29
BHPian

Super Travelogue. Your photographs are splendid. I always wanted to do a similar route but was always discouraged by the road conditions between Siliguri & Kolkata. Your travelogue has given a boost to my confidence. Would try doing a similar route in October/November.
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 15:00   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
Just like to share some info on the animals:

Image 3818 is some kind of gecko. Not sure about the species though! My hunch is that it could be a common house gecko!

Image 4090 is scaly breasted munia
Thanks for the information. But one thing i want to share with you is these lizards were really big. When these are fully grown up they are nearly one feet or more long, its much bigger than the house gecko and these are mainly found in jungle areas. May be another variety of the house gecko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Super Travelogue. Your photographs are splendid. I always wanted to do a similar route but was always discouraged by the road conditions between Siliguri & Kolkata. Your travelogue has given a boost to my confidence. Would try doing a similar route in October/November.
Thank you.
You can do Kolkata - siliguri via Bhagalpur. That route is a bit long but the road condition through out is good. Via Bhagalpur you can do Kolkata- Siliguri in 13 hours. If you plan for break journey you can do Kolkata to Bhagalpur in day1 and Bhagalpur to Darjeeling/Gangtok/or which place you decide, you can cover in day 2.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks