Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2006, 01:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

A weekend Travelogue

I did the same route last year in August. The story is here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...n-2-fiats.html

This time it is the same...same distance - 400 KMS one way, same people - Me alone, same route Hyderabad to Rajahmundry (Coastal Andhra) and back, same destinations.... the only difference is instead of two Fiats, this time I drove Accent Viva CRDI one way and my Palio 1.9D when returning.

I planned this trip to handover my Dad's new Accent that I bought in Hyderabad to him and get back my Palio 1.9. So you guys are excited to read how two of India's best Diesel cars in sub 10 lacs range performed? Read on.....

The Accent was only one week old and has 240 KMS on the odometer. So no way I can push the car to the limit or close to it. Through out the trip I tried to keep the tachometer below 2000 RPM though the user's manual says 3000RPM. I made the earlier trip non stop, stopping just for nature calls. But this time I took few breaks for breakfast and photo sessions to let the car relax.

Between 1500 - 2000 RPM, the car could easily cross 100 KPH in 5th gear. Ride is excellent. Even big potholes are absorbed before they reach the cabin. Couldn't test handling much because the car is still infant and couldn't push it in to corners. And last about the mileage, I got 20 KPL. I check full tank to full tank.

The return journey was in my Palio D. I was excited remembering the fun i had in the previous trip. Once I got on to the highway and started pushing the car, it was jumping all over. I was very worried about the ride. I stopped at a roadside puncture walla and checked the air pressure in wheels. My Dad's driver filled the tyres with air pressure more than 40. I reduced the air and continued the journey.

But the ride of Palio is still not close to Accent. Palio has more stiffer ride. But handling the car is fun. The heavier diesel in the front spoils this a little bit. The tyres on the Palio Goodyear 175/14 make lots of noice when going fast in to corners but doesn't make me loose my confidence. This car doesn't like to be revved in lower gears. Quickly take the car to 4th gear, and there the fun starts. Palio reaches 100 KPH in 5th gear only at 3000RPM. Mileage I got on Palio is around 16 KPL.

One important thing I noticed is in Accent, after driving 100 KMS, I felt like stopping and stretch my body. Accent's seat has very poor lumbar sport. But thats not the cae with Palio. Even after 6 hours of continuous drive, there was not much problem. I am 6'1" tall. I also happened to drive my F-in-law's Indica in the weekend for around 50 KMS. The Seats in Indica I felt very comfortable. But the gearshift and brakes in the Indica which is newer than my Palio is a different story. I was thanking myself that I didn't buy Indigo for my Dad.

Overall I felt the Palio to be more fun car and exciting to drive. Once the Accent completes the drivein period, I don't know which car wins my vote then.

Pictures:

Pics on the Godavari bridge which is the longest in Asia. Legth is 4 KMS. This is a road cum rail bridge. While road is laid on the top, tracks are laid below it.

This is a bridge constructed in parallel to the road rail bridge only for trains. The paranoid pillars also holds some shockabsorbers to the bridge allowing the trains to go faster.

I travel on the road in the following pics for about 170 KMS. It is fun to drive to drive on this road with long straights, smooth surface, very few potholes, scarce traffic, cattle and pedestrains. I love travelling here than on golden quadrilateral

The Innova in the the last pic was my pilot for 100 KMS.

Finally reminds me I am driving in India

Wishing to make lots more similar drives in the future.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 24th May 2006 at 01:17.
Old 24th May 2006, 12:40   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
I travel on the road in the following pics for about 170 KMS. It is fun to drive to drive on this road with long straights, smooth surface, very few potholes, scarce traffic, cattle and pedestrains. I love travelling here than golden quadrilateral
Couldn't agree more. I am getting bored with newly found expressways. They are becoming more and more dangerous, with all sort of things happening on the road. I mean dead trucks on the middle of the road, blind turns, vehicles moving at 10 KpH to 180Kph...mat, it is tough.

I love those lonely country roads, where the drive is more enjoyable. Roads in Andhra are really good in that aspect.
Old 24th May 2006, 13:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Interesting travelogue there, Satish - one vehicle up and another vehicle down, giving you a terrific opportunity for a head-to-head comparo.

You're right in your observations about comfort and handling - the Accent absorbs irregularities better and isolates you more from the road, but at the cost of handling.

Wait till you begin ripping the CRDi - you'll be grinning from ear to ear.
Old 29th May 2006, 10:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Crdi Really Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
......Wait till you begin ripping the CRDi - you'll be grinning from ear to ear.
Steeroid,

I gurdgingly agree about the Accent CRDI.

Yesterday I was coming back on the toll expressway, Mehsana to A'Bad, about100 KM in my Fusion after a wedding and an Accent CRDI gave chase for about 40 KMs. I was nudging 140 on the speedo and this guy was right behind me breathing down my neck..... on a rumble strip he almost kisised my butt.....

After that I slowed down to a more saner 120, he waved at me & rocketed past me (I guess he must have been grinning ear to ear) I waved back .. it was amazing, the pick up of the Accent was good and the car can move... my views about the Accent has changed for the better..

--Ramky
----------

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks