Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 21:41   #1
BHPian

Birding @ Ooty

With the birding season almost coming to an end in terms of migrating birds to this part of the world, I have always been thinking of a quick weekend trip to Ooty to capture some of the beauties from the hills. With the thought lingering in mind for sometime the first week of May gave me the opportunity. My friend was visiting his in laws place in Coimbatore and we quickly planned a 2 day dash to Ooty.

Day 1:
I started from Chennai on a overnight KPN bus admist all the political chaos due to an arrest of a local leader. The drive till Villupuram toll was smooth and post that the buses were sent as a convoy to avoid any unneccessary chaos. I reached Coimbatore at 6 in the morning and my friend picked me up in a zen. We set off around 8 AM from Coimbatore and decided Coonor as the first stop. Reached Coonor around 10 AM and headed straight to SIMS Park. After about spending half a day at Coonor we left to ooty via Kothagiri. The Ghat road via kothagiri is in excellent condition. Upon arriving at Ooty rains welcomed us and our afternoon plan of birding was spoiled due to Rain. Later in the evening we headed out to Side walk cafe for dinner and retired for the day.

Day 2 :
We woke up early in the morning and headed out to the botanical garden. The Garden opens up at 7 AM and it is quite peaceful around that time as the tourists are yet to pour in. We spent quite sometime at the garden and captured some of the real beauties from the hills. We finished up at around 1 PM and headed back to Coimbatore . Reached back by around 5 PM and took an overnight return bus to Chennai. In all it was a very short trip but well worth it in terms of the check list of birds i wanted to cover.

Here i am sharing some of the real beauties from this trip.

Black and Orange Flycatcher
Birding @ Ooty-bo-fc.jpg
Crested Goshawk
Birding @ Ooty-crested-goshwak.jpg
Crimson Backed Sunbird
Birding @ Ooty-crimson-backed-sunbird.jpg
Bar Winged Flycatcher
Birding @ Ooty-faintail.jpg
Great Tit
Birding @ Ooty-great-tit.jpg
Grey Headed Canary Flycatcher
Birding @ Ooty-grey-headed-canary.jpg
Indian Yellow Tit
Birding @ Ooty-indian-yellow-tit.jpg
Nilgiri Flycatcher
Birding @ Ooty-nilgiri-flycatcher-worm.jpg
Brown Capped Woodpecker
Birding @ Ooty-pygmy-woodpecker.jpg
Red Whiskered Bulbul
Birding @ Ooty-red-whiskered-bulbul.jpg
aravind84 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 01:15   #2
BHPian

Re: Birding @ Ooty

Awesome set of pics there again @Aravind84.

Cheers!
Goutham
Old 18th May 2013, 11:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Aravind, awesome pictures. Seen the crested goshawk for the first time.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 17:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arvind, Great pictures with stunning clarity!

May I ask what equipment was used to capture these beautiful birds?
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 20:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Arvind, Great pictures with stunning clarity!

May I ask what equipment was used to capture these beautiful birds?
Thanks Surya. I use Nikon D7000 with Nikon 300mm F4 lens and a 1.4 TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Aravind, awesome pictures. Seen the crested goshawk for the first time.
Thank you sir. These guys to my knowledge are common around the hilly terrains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_rider View Post
Awesome set of pics there again @Aravind84.

Cheers!
Goutham
Thank you Goutham
Old 19th May 2013, 17:53   #6
BHPian

Aravind as usual great pictures. Its a pity that a beautiful place like the
Botanical gardens becomes a complete mess with tourists pouring in by hundreds in a couple of hours and each one of them screaming and shouting at their top of their voice. I did not know that they open at 7:00 am, however I do remember that when I visited a decade back there wasn't much crowd and it was a pleasure to play Frisbee in the great lawns.

I don't think we can even dream of doing something like that now.

Hopefully I should make a visit in the next few months and look forward to some great birding.
Old 20th May 2013, 10:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow some nice up close pictures of birds, seeing them after a long time. Love the Nilgiri birds shot, great dof and smooth background. Considering that you used a Tele-converter, was lighting an issue at 7am as the f-stops will increase? So any more catches for the day?
Old 20th May 2013, 11:00   #8
BHPian

Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2013 at 16:21.
vindrider2626 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th May 2013, 11:53   #9
BHPian

Beautiful pictures Aravind. The goshawk was a surprise
Old 20th May 2013, 14:40   #10
BHPian

Absolutely amazing pictures aravind84. Some of these birds can be seen during most part of the year in the nilgiris but you rarely pay attention. Your snaps make them look so majestic that even the humble bulbul, which is an everyday bird in the nilgiris and sorrounding areas, looks so regal.
Old 20th May 2013, 14:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Absolutely amazing pictures aravind84. Some of these birds can be seen during most part of the year in the nilgiris but you rarely pay attention. Your snaps make them look so majestic that even the humble bulbul, which is an everyday bird in the nilgiris and sorrounding areas, looks so regal.
So true, these are the real gems of Ooty and i would make much more trips to spend time with these beauties. Thank you for liking the pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Beautiful pictures Aravind. The goshawk was a surprise
THanks thalavoy. It was a surprise for me as well. I never expected i would have this beauty which was a real lifer for me

It indeed are around and have adjusted well to the conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Wow some nice up close pictures of birds, seeing them after a long time. Love the Nilgiri birds shot, great dof and smooth background. Considering that you used a Tele-converter, was lighting an issue at 7am as the f-stops will increase? So any more catches for the day?
Motomaverick, thank you for the comments. Lighting indeed is an issue . The Nilgiri flycatcher and the canary flycatcher were shot with 1/80 shutter at ISO 640. These guys are well hidden in the garden and so light always is tough. But at the end of the day, thats the fun with bird photography right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Aravind as usual great pictures. Its a pity that a beautiful place like the
Botanical gardens becomes a complete mess with tourists pouring in by hundreds in a couple of hours and each one of them screaming and shouting at their top of their voice. I did not know that they open at 7:00 am, however I do remember that when I visited a decade back there wasn't much crowd and it was a pleasure to play Frisbee in the great lawns.

I don't think we can even dream of doing something like that now.

Hopefully I should make a visit in the next few months and look forward to some great birding.
Yes buddy, early morning would be ideal as the garden will be free from crowd. Also ensure you go to the end of the garden as crowd will always reach there late. Have fun when you go out there. Let me know in case you need some spots to look out for

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2013 at 16:22. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 20th May 2013, 15:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Motomaverick, thank you for the comments. Lighting indeed is an issue . The Nilgiri flycatcher and the canary flycatcher were shot with 1/80 shutter at ISO 640. These guys are well hidden in the garden and so light always is tough. But at the end of the day, thats the fun with bird photography right
Yeah true, thats what the fun is plus those little fellows are too energetic and don't stay put at one place for a long time, especially the sun birds. Post some more if you got, even slight noise in the photograph would not matter
Old 24th May 2013, 19:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Amazing pics. Great angles - how do you get these birds at eye level?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks