Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2013, 20:41   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad-Kaza-Hyderabad in a Ssangyong Rexton

Now this is what i call a crazy trip. Looks like you bought SUV just for the trip
And 9 month old kid travelling 6000kms ? Wow he is surely going to create a team-bhp account when he grows up

Coming to pics, They look fresh. did you use HDR? they look unusually sharp and crisp. or some sort of post processing ?
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 01:02   #47
BHPian

Hi Ashroy, first off, congratulations on your silver beauty! That's one hell of a trip, (that too in a brand new car, with entire family in tow) with breathtaking views and lovely photos!! Thanks a lot for this thread.

Now to my questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashroy_6 View Post
Well pickup is quite good in steep inclines but one has to make sure that one is above 1800rpm.
Q1. How bad is the turbo lag on normal surfaces, day-to-day driving? On traffic?

Quote:
Yes rexton manual comes with low ratio gearbox but it does'nt have differential locks.
Quote:
For people asking about Rexton's 4 wheel drive system.

Yes the central differential can be locked...
Thanks for the second post - I was worried when I looked at the first post. However,
Q2. How do you lock them? Does engaging 4L automatically locks it? What driving (steering) characteristic changes did you experience?

Quote:
The only thing i wish mahindra could have done is to give wider all terrain tyres with body
lift of atleast 2 inches.
Q3. Aren't the stock tyres (Hancooks, right?) AT grade?

Again, thanks for this thread and wish you many many happy miles on your RX5.
Old 25th July 2013, 12:04   #48
BHPian

An excellent travelogue,coupled with beautiful pics.A very unusual choice for a trip how did it come about ?generally all of us take the much traversed Leh as our big challenge.Hats off to the ladies who agreed to accompany you on such an arduous trip. Honestly with ladies and small kids (a few months old ) many wouldn't even dare.
Which camera were you using ? It definitely does not look like a point and shoot.
Old 27th July 2013, 08:12   #49
BHPian

hello ashroy,
firstly i would like to congratulate you on your new acquisition. I went through the independant reviews of the Rexthon on hearing it from you and it definitely seems to be like a great choice of vehicle.
Secondly a great trip undertaken coupled with solo driving,loved the choice of your destination.I must complement you for the amazing pictures that have been clicked ,i am sure there must be other spectacular pics waiting to be shared with all of us.
I am myself planning to undertake a trip to Kaza in early september hence wanted to clarify a few queries from you:
1. i plan to do the trip in my Mahindra Logan, how is the road condition in Malling Nullah and from pooh to Kaza.
2. Did you travel through the Karcham-Sangla sector too and if yes how were the roads.
3. Fuel availability at Kaza and enroute from Pooh to Kaza.
4. I plan to see Kaza-Ke Gompa-Khibber , Kaza-TashiGanga-Komic-Kaza , Kaza-Kangri Gompa-Dhankar Gompa-Kaza. Do we have any route indications on these stretches or how do we verify that we are on the correct path.How is the road condition on these stretches.I have a Sedan as mentioned above.
Regards
Old 1st August 2013, 22:32   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Well luckily where the road was closed the width was just enough for me to take a u turn. Took me about 15 minutes to do that but eventually did it.

Thanks for the appreciation buddy...
I need to probably take some driving lessons from you ashroy_6. When my 1st daughter was 5 months me, wife and the baby used to frequent between Hyderabad and Bangalore in my car and my folks made me feel bad when I said I got stuck at Jadcherla for 2 hours in the night due to some galata.

This is a great writeup which demonstrates that Rexton is indeed an SUV that can be trusted for any unexpected situations. Really wonderful and kudos to you!
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:29   #51
BHPian

[quote=GunMo;3186251]Hi Ashroy, first off, congratulations on your silver beauty! That's one hell of a trip, (that too in a brand new car, with entire family in tow) with breathtaking views and lovely photos!! Thanks a lot for this thread.

Now to my questions:

Q1. How bad is the turbo lag on normal surfaces, day-to-day driving? On traffic?

The turbo lag is hardly visible in city conditions.

Thanks for the second post - I was worried when I looked at the first post. However,
Q2. How do you lock them? Does engaging 4L automatically locks it? What driving (steering) characteristic changes did you experience?

I guess engaging 4l automatically locks them. The driving characteristics changes drastically as the low gearing comes into play. One can feel the extra power as one would feel in any Suv with proper 4l.

Q3. Aren't the stock tyres (Hancooks, right?) AT grade?

I dont think the tyres are AT grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramanjit View Post
An excellent travelogue,coupled with beautiful pics.A very unusual choice for a trip how did it come about ?generally all of us take the much traversed Leh as our big challenge.Hats off to the ladies who agreed to accompany you on such an arduous trip. Honestly with ladies and small kids (a few months old ) many wouldn't even dare.
Which camera were you using ? It definitely does not look like a point and shoot.
Well originally our plan was to visit leh via manali but due to rothang pass being closed had to change the plans. I use a nikon d 90 with nikon 50mm 1.8 prime lens and a tamaron 17-50 f 2.8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
hello ashroy,
firstly i would like to congratulate you on your new acquisition. I went through the independant reviews of the Rexthon on hearing it from you and it definitely seems to be like a great choice of vehicle.
Secondly a great trip undertaken coupled with solo driving,loved the choice of your destination.I must complement you for the amazing pictures that have been clicked ,i am sure there must be other spectacular pics waiting to be shared with all of us.
I am myself planning to undertake a trip to Kaza in early september hence wanted to clarify a few queries from you:
1. i plan to do the trip in my Mahindra Logan, how is the road condition in Malling Nullah and from pooh to Kaza.

The road conditions are quite bad at few stretches specially before you reach keakong peo. The stretch is about 20-30 kms. I think you can take your logan there but you would really have to drive very carefully. I have seen locals using maruti 800 and alto there, so logan should'nt be a problem. Again the roads are bad before you reach Kaza. The stretch of about 30-40 kms.

2. Did you travel through the Karcham-Sangla sector too and if yes how were the roads.
No could'nt do that as the roads were closed due to landslide.
3. Fuel availability at Kaza and enroute from Pooh to Kaza.

Fuel availability is not a problem at all as you have petrol bunks at reakong peo and then at kaza.But there are no petrol bunks between pooh to kaza.
4. I plan to see Kaza-Ke Gompa-Khibber , Kaza-TashiGanga-Komic-Kaza , Kaza-Kangri Gompa-Dhankar Gompa-Kaza. Do we have any route indications on these stretches or how do we verify that we are on the correct path.How is the road condition on these stretches.I have a Sedan as mentioned above.
Regards
Well chances of getting lost is minimal as there is only one route. All you have to do is to follow the roads. Now coming to road conditions here there are again quite bad at stretches. You will find only mud trails here. Regarding taking a sedan here I would recommend you to have a good underbody protection as few stretches are really bad. But I guess you can take a chance. If you feel that the roads are really so bad then you can always come back to kaza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
I need to probably take some driving lessons from you ashroy_6. When my 1st daughter was 5 months me, wife and the baby used to frequent between Hyderabad and Bangalore in my car and my folks made me feel bad when I said I got stuck at Jadcherla for 2 hours in the night due to some galata.

This is a great writeup which demonstrates that Rexton is indeed an SUV that can be trusted for any unexpected situations. Really wonderful and kudos to you!
Thanks
ashroy_6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 16:39   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

ashroy_6
Those are some really narrow roads for an SUV! Congratulations on completing the drive on "the world's most treacherous road".
I will never be allowed to even think of such trips with such small children...Hats off to you and your family!
Old 3rd August 2013, 17:30   #53
BHPian

ashroy_6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 19:04   #54
BHPian

Congratulations on the wonderful trip you completed. I admire your courage to take on such roads with your family, including an infant. The video makes one think about how to take a u-turn. To be honest, I would chicken out at the thought of driving there with wife and kids. A simple 700 km trip from Bangalore to South Kerala gives me enough worries.
I wonder, having completed such an arduous journey, what would be challenging enough for you to consider trying next?
drjkonline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 13:06   #55
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the great buy, There is a family need of a bigger car which can carry more than 5, and my personal need of something capable of going off road. I may be considering a Rexton RX7 next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Holy cow! How did you take a u-turn on such narrow roads? Did you have to drive in reverse all the way? If I ever make a trip to those terrains, it will be one of the top worries in my list.

Well this bus driver shows that No U turn is impossible.http://www.carscoops.com/2009/04/vid...amazing-u.html

Rahul
Old 1st May 2015, 11:02   #56
BHPian

Hi ashroy_6, what has been your experience on the service side- maintenance costs? Spares availability? And which ASS do you use- VVC@Kothaguda or the other one in Banjara Hills?
Old 13th May 2015, 18:53   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Hi ashroy_6, what has been your experience on the service side- maintenance costs? Spares availability? And which ASS do you use- VVC@Kothaguda or the other one in Banjara Hills?
Hi, the service has been good so far. 40,000 km servising costed me 15,000 rs.i use automotive uppal workshop.
Old 28th May 2015, 18:01   #58
Senior - BHPian

What efficiency do you get in Hyderabad. I am considering a RX7 as my next vehicle, and as smaller vehicles will used by other family members the Rexton will be my daily drive.
Old 31st May 2015, 00:53   #59
BHPian

Hi,it gives me around 9-10 in the city...mine is rx 5
Old 30th September 2015, 08:27   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,it gives me around 9-10 in the city...mine is rx 5
I am getting the same 9-10 in city for My RX5. How do you find the AC performance?

I find it powerless to cool the cabin whenever the outside ambient is above 33C

When i say the cooling is not enough the service guys just top up the gas/ clean the filter and says everything is okay. Mine is black so that is not helping as well.

The airflow through middle row vents is quite less as well.

Any tips to improve it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks