Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 12:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Masai Mara - A Quintessential African Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwanza View Post
As Xmas approached, the typical African chilled-out mentality was evident everywhere. Office became dry, with more than half the staff on leave. For the few that were there, work was the last thing in mind. The phone rings. Our amazing driver-cum-guide, Christopher, was on the other end.
Hello Kwanza,

Wondelful pictures & narration. Rated well deserved 5 stars. Thank you bring the best of Masai mara here.

Regarding your note on - the typical African chilled-out mentality, I have personally experienced this. I am currently supporting IT systems of a client based in Kenya & generally on friday afternoons, we typically get a reply from client staff saying - It is friday my friend, take it easy.

Also when it comes to drivers / guides at Masai Mara, they are very professional & also have to pass a two year course. Hope you have seen our fellow T-BHPian's recent travelogue on Masai Mara - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...sai-maara.html

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 16:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

@Kwanza - Wonderful Travelogue. Rating it 5 stars.

This is the first time i am reading a TL for a game reserve and super like it.

Also loved the lodge that you were staying in especially the Hippo Bar

Would be following it for updates.
Old 28th May 2013, 18:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
Hi,

Nice TL and pictures. Appreciate all the details that you have provided. And your resort does look beautiful.

Voting 5*. Waiting for more pics and safari stories
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
What a way to spend a vacation. Fantastic writing and excellent pictures. Makes us readers be a part of and enjoy your travel all without moving an inch

Thanks. Rated five stars.
Thanks! I'm uploading some high def videos too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Kwanza,

Wondelful pictures & narration. Rated well deserved 5 stars. Thank you bring the best of Masai mara here.

Regarding your note on - the typical African chilled-out mentality, I have personally experienced this. I am currently supporting IT systems of a client based in Kenya & generally on friday afternoons, we typically get a reply from client staff saying - It is friday my friend, take it easy.

Also when it comes to drivers / guides at Masai Mara, they are very professional & also have to pass a two year course. Hope you have seen our fellow T-BHPian's recent travelogue on Masai Mara - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...sai-maara.html

Thanks,
Thanks!

Haha, I've lived around that mentality for the last 20 years. Weekend starts from Friday, and it's beer-only time

But I should mention, despite the chilled out attitude, I've found Kenyans to be a lot more helpful and pleasant people to work and deal with, whether in govt. or private places. They could go out of the way to be welcoming and hospitable!

After living in such an atmosphere, I was in for total shock at many instances in India, where I find many people just plane rude and unconcerned, right from shop attenders to college offices. Oh and govt. utility workers need no mention. There will obviously be exceptions, but thats the general trend!

You should plan a trip to Kenya. It's quite an experience, and I'm sure you'll be amazed by the Indian/Gujarati community there, controlling almost half the economy!

I did go through that travelogue! Wonderful pics, wish I had a DSLR too (will surely get one before my next safari. LOL) to do full justice to Masai Mara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@Kwanza - Wonderful Travelogue. Rating it 5 stars.

This is the first time i am reading a TL for a game reserve and super like it.

Also loved the lodge that you were staying in especially the Hippo Bar

Would be following it for updates.
Yes, I've been as enthusiastic in posting a travelogue that captured the flavour of Africa, as I've not seen many here.

The lodge is brilliant and this is how lodges throughout the national parks in Kenya are. Luxurious and convenient
Old 28th May 2013, 20:41   #19
BHPian

HD Clips

Giraffes very near the hotel entrance

Last edited by Kwanza : 28th May 2013 at 21:01.
Old 29th May 2013, 09:26   #20
BHPian

Dear Kwanza,

Fantastic Travelogue. Rated five stars.

I had just read your travelogue last night & switched on the television to find out that Animal Planet was showing a Documentary on Masai Mara & how the animals migrate crossing the Mara river.
Old 29th May 2013, 23:59   #21
BHPian

I love this travelogue absolutely. In another couple years even I'm planning for an African safari.

I have a silly question. In one of your photos from page 1, you mentioned that the hotel where you stayed is just open to the jungle without any fencing. Was there a case or a situation wherein the wild animals came anywhere near to the hotel? I mean any of the big 5 were spotted near the hotel? If yes what was the experience and reaction? I'm interested to know.
Old 30th May 2013, 11:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful narration. There are so many places to see and explore on our planet. How much fun would it be if it was a world without stupid borders and restrictions. The MB truck seemed to have just seats or was it a proper travelling caravan. Do you have any more pictures of the same?
Old 30th May 2013, 15:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Fantastic Travelogue. Rated five stars.
Thank you!

Yes, these channels are obsessed with African National parks. I know my school senior who studied film-making, and spent months staying in various parks filming. I haven't seen the migration too, will plan a trip sometime in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I love this travelogue absolutely. In another couple years even I'm planning for an African safari.
Thank you!

Yes, it's open to the jungle. For the two nights we stayed, I caught a glimpse some zebras, gazelles and a few giraffes grazing in the lawns shown on the pictures. If you mean wild animals like lions, I think they did not come then. I was curious and found out from the hotel guys that there have been instances when lions, leopards have come.

Usually, the area around the hotel is flood-lit keeping most animals away. But somewhere past midnight, power (place runs on generator) is switched off and in those times, it's common to hear all kinds of strange wild sounds but difficult to see anything. Hence, its obviously advised not to move out when it's pitch dark. By morning, it's all clear. The armed hotel/park wardens patrol to keep watch and are aware through experience/instincts. They are there to protect you, and till today, I haven't heard any incident! In my previous visit, we stayed at "Mara Sopa Lodge" which was fenced but had a hyena feeding session every night.

Make sure you go! Most of the lodges are classy, and if you have enough people/budget, try hiring one of those Land Cruisers/Defenders! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Beautiful narration. There are so many places to see and explore on our planet. How much fun would it be if it was a world without stupid borders and restrictions. The MB truck seemed to have just seats or was it a proper travelling caravan. Do you have any more pictures of the same?
Thanks! Absolutely, each continent has something unique to it!
The truck was high and was exiting as we entered so it was difficult to see. But from the peek I got, it had seats with a compartment looking like a small cabin. Maybe these are the trucks that encourage passengers to stay at hotels. LOL.
Old 30th May 2013, 15:48   #24
BHPian

Cheetahs. Fellow mascots of the XUV5OO. LOL

Old 30th May 2013, 18:54   #25
RGK
Senior - BHPian

HI Kwanza

Excellent travelogue. Did a virtual tour to Masai Mara.

Need to plan for a trip and enjoy one of the beauties in the world..
Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 00:44   #26
BHPian

Beautiful Photographs and a wonderful travelogue. Thank you Kwanza. Rated 5 stars! Need to start saving for visit to the Masai Mara.

Most Viewed