Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2015, 11:22   #31
BHPian

Re: Sikkim - Gangtok - Himalayas, Heights Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
Hello barcalad,

I will be going to Club Mahindra Gangtok in May for 5 days, and have planned the following itinerary.

Day 1: NJP station (8am) to CM Gangtok (2pm?), Gondola ride, Gangtok Ropeway - Gangtok city, MG Road evening

Day 2: Himalayan wildlife sanctuary (9am - 4pm), Ganesh tok, Orchid Gardens, Hanuman Tok, Ipecac Garden, Chopper ride, Rumtek Monastery - get permits for zero point, nathu la

Day 3: Lachung - Zero Point and back

Day 4: Tsong Ma lake, Nathu La pass, Menmecho Lake, Baba mandir, Kyongmosla Water falls

Day 5: Lachen - Kanchenjunga view point

Day 6: CM Gangtok to New Jalpaiguri station

I guess I cannot visit Gurudongmar lake and as it is the schedule looks quite tight, will be there with my wife and kid (9 yrs).

Please let me know your views as well.

regards,
Rahul
How about you head to Lachung on Day 3, see Zero Point first and check into a hotel there. That way, you can do Lachen/Kanchenjunga view point the very next morning and then head down to Gangtok by afternoon and rest. Roads are not exactly ROADS.

On Day 5, you can do Nathu La and Tchangu Lake in the morning and return to Gangtok by afternoon, and if time permits, push off for Pelling?

Day 6, you check out the sunrise from Pelling, feast your eyes on the Darjeeling hills (you could've covered it during this trip, but for the time!) and then make your move to NJP, via Jorethang-Melli-Siliguri route which is very scenic and beautiful, as the mighty Teesta flows side by side.
Old 12th March 2015, 16:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caadmara View Post

Day1- Land at Bagdogra & drive from airport to Gangtok (Stay overnight-Gangtok)

Day 2- Drive to Lachen (stay overnight- Lachen)

Day 3- Drive to Gurudongmar Lake and then proceed to Lachung (stay overnight- Lachung)

Day 4- Full Day at Lachung-Zero point, Yum than valley (stay overnight- Lachung)

Day 5- Leave for Gangtok. Local site seeing (stay overnight- Gangtok)

Day 6- Visit Pelling and other areas around Gangtok (stay overnight- Pelling)

Day 7- Drive from Pelling to Bagdogra airport
-Sikkim is a hilly area, hence the commute time is very high. Weather,especially in North sikkim is very unpredictable.Sudden land slides are common which is likely to block traffic. Hence will recommend to plan buffer time.
-My recommendation will be to spend a whole day in Gangtok, instead of crunching. You dont get too many food options in North Sikkim. So if you want to try Sikkim cuisine, Gangtok is the place. Gangtok is the palce for shopping too.

Your Iteinerary for Days 1 - 3 looks fine.

Itinerary1 (My recommendation)

Day 4 - Do Zero Point/Yumthang valley (you will be able to cover it by lunch time), spend rest of the day in leisure in Lachung and enjoy its snow mountains, waterfalls, a lovely place to take nice walks.
Day 5 - Leave for Gangtok, spend rest of the evening in Leisure, shopping etc.
Day 6 - Gangtok sight seeing/shopping. If you want to do Nathula pass, you will need one more day.
Day 7 - Start towards Pelling, and do Pelling sight seeing. you need to start very early so that you can cover Pelling sight seeing. you will need one whole day to reach Pelling from Gangtok and cover the places around Pelling.
Day 8 - Towards Bagdodara airport.

Itinerary2

Day 4 - Do Zero Point/Yumthang valley, have lunch and start back to Gangtok. This is doable.
Day 5 - Do Gangtok sightseeing/shopping
Day 6 - Start towards Pelling, do Pelling sight seeing.
Day 7 - Towards Bagdodara airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
For Day 5, you can visit Tchangu Lake - Nathu La in the morning (subject to weather), return and have lunch and then visit Rumtek monastery and do some shopping on MG Road, Gangtok. Leave for Pelling by evening and stay at Elgin Mount Pandim (my recommendation).

Day 6, you enjoy the early morning sunrise and heavenly sights and push off for Darjeeling, to reach by lunch. Spend the entire second half doing local sight seeing (plenty to do see!). Take a walk at The Mall post dinner. It's bliss. Recommend Mayfair/Windamere as the best accommodation.

Day 7, see the sunrise at Tiger Hill and drive down to Bagdogra VIA Mirik post breakfast, so that you can enjoy the beautiful woods and famous Mirik lake. I'd suggest to take the last flight out if IXB.

Do let me know if you need any more suggestions!
Day 5 - covering Nathula, Gangtok and reaching Pelling is impossible. Max - one can do Nathula and a bit of Gangtok if one is lucky
Day 6/7 - Darjeeling. It is an individual choice. I would recommend spending time in Sikkim rather than Darjeeling. Darjeeling although is a lovely place, offlate has become very commercialized and dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
I guess I cannot visit Gurudongmar lake and as it is the schedule looks quite tight, will be there with my wife and kid (9 yrs).
Gurudongmar lake is a must visit Rahul, don't miss it. I will rate it as the top attraction in Sikkim.
daisyb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 16:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
How about you head to Lachung on Day 3, see Zero Point first and check into a hotel there. That way, you can do Lachen/Kanchenjunga view point the very next morning and then head down to Gangtok by afternoon and rest. Roads are not exactly ROADS.
Agree with Barclad, roads are not roads in North Sikkim. Going to Lachen or Lachung from Gangtok and returning to Gangtok cannot be done on one day. Plan Lachen and Lachung together as they are close by.

Day 1&2 looks fine

My recommendation:
Day 3 - Go to Lachung
Day 4 - cover ZP/Yumthang valley and reach Lachen
Day 5 - Do Lachen sight seeing and Gurudongmar lake, have lunch and reach Gangtok
Day 6 - Back to New Jalpaiguri station

Itinerary 2
Day 3 - Go to Lachung
Day 4 - cover ZP/Yumthang valley, have lunch and reach Gangtok
Day 5 - Do Nathula pass
Day 6 - Back to New Jalpaiguri station
Old 19th March 2015, 09:40   #34
BHPian

Mod note: Post EDITED to fix Quotes, please do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
-Sikkim is a hilly area, hence the commute time is very high. Weather,especially in North sikkim is very unpredictable.Sudden land slides are common which is likely to block traffic. Hence will recommend to plan buffer time.
-My recommendation will be to spend a whole day in Gangtok, instead of crunching. You dont get too many food options in North Sikkim. So if you want to try Sikkim cuisine, Gangtok is the place. Gangtok is the palce for shopping too.
Your Iteinerary for Days 1 - 3 looks fine.

Itinerary1 (My recommendation)

Day 4 - Do Zero Point/Yumthang valley (you will be able to cover it by lunch time), spend rest of the day in leisure in Lachung and enjoy its snow mountains, waterfalls, a lovely place to take nice walks.
Day 5 - Leave for Gangtok, spend rest of the evening in Leisure, shopping etc.
Day 6 - Gangtok sight seeing/shopping. If you want to do Nathula pass, you will need one more day.
Day 7 - Start towards Pelling, and do Pelling sight seeing. you need to start very early so that you can cover Pelling sight seeing. you will need one whole day to reach Pelling from Gangtok and cover the places around Pelling.
Day 8 - Towards Bagdodara airport.

Itinerary2

Day 4 - Do Zero Point/Yumthang valley, have lunch and start back to Gangtok. This is doable.
Day 5 - Do Gangtok sightseeing/shopping
Day 6 - Start towards Pelling, do Pelling sight seeing.
Day 7 - Towards Bagdodara airport.

Thanks a Ton Daisyb! I am currently out of the country and will finalize this shortly!

PS- My travel agent is quoting 40K per person ex-Bangalore with some exclusions (Lunch/camera-guide fees etc) for 6 nights. Is this a reasonable estimate?

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th March 2015 at 09:52. Reason: Post EDITED to fix Quotes, please do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.
Old 19th March 2015, 11:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
PS- My travel agent is quoting 40K per person ex-Bangalore with some exclusions (Lunch/camera-guide fees etc) for 6 nights. Is this a reasonable estimate?
Can comment if I know what is included in the above quote.
- Does it include Air travel
- Hotels (what kind of hotels eg: 3 star), what is the meal plan, generally all meals are included for North Sikkim part as you don't get too many food options, other places like Gangtok, Pelling - it is your preference
- Does this include cost for permits for North Sikkim
- What places are being covered in this plan
- What is the vehicle you are getting
Old 19th March 2015, 13:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
Can comment if I know what is included in the above quote.
- Does it include Air travel
- Hotels (what kind of hotels eg: 3 star), what is the meal plan, generally all meals are included for North Sikkim part as you don't get too many food options, other places like Gangtok, Pelling - it is your preference
- Does this include cost for permits for North Sikkim
- What places are being covered in this plan
- What is the vehicle you are getting
Thanks dude/dudette! (Hard to decipher from your handle)

The Inclusions/Exclusions are as below:

Package Inclusions

 Return Economy Class Airfare to Bagdogra , Ex-Bangalore
 03 Nights’ Accommodation at 3 star hotel in Gangtok.
 02 Nights’ Accommodation at 3 star hotel in Pelling.
 01 Night Accommodation at 3 star hotel in Lachung.
 Return Airport transfers
 Daily Breakfast & Dinner
 All sightseeing places as mentioned
 All Tours and Transfers on Private basis

Package Exclusions
 GST @ 3.09% on the gross billing.
 Camera and video camera fees.
 Personal expenses like tips, bar & restaurant charge, Monuments Guide.
 Personal expenses which are not including the above cost include portion.

And the tentative itinerary is below.

DAY 01: ARRIVAL @ BAGDOGRA AIRPORT – ONTO GANGTOK (ABOUT 125 KMS / 04 HRS. DRIVE)
 On arrival at IXB airport welcome to our Representative & transfer to Gangtok .
 On arrival check-in to your hotel & Rest of the day free at leisure.
 Night halt at Gangtok

DAY 02: GANGTOK (TRIP TO TSOMGO LAKE + BABA MANDIR-NEW)
 This Morning start for a half day trip to Tsomgo lake (12400ft), which is only 32kms from Gangtok City, the lake is almost about 1Km long and 15 mtrs deep.
 The lake is considered sacred by the local people, Further 12Kms visit the Baba Harvajan Singh Mandir.
 Evening free at Leisure or you can enjoy shopping by own.
 Night halt at Gangtok

DAY 03: GANGTOK –LACHUNG (ABOUT 117 KMS / 06 HRS. DRIVE)
 After breakfast pick up from hotel at Gangtok & drive to Lachung (altitude 8610 ft & 117 KM).
 Enroute visit Singhik View point (depends on weather condition),
 Seven Sisters Water Falls, Naga Water Falls.
 Night halt at Lachung

DAY 04: LACHUNG –YUMTHANG EXCURSION (24 KM. & 11,800 FT) - GANGTOK
 Early Morning drive to Yumthang-valley (known as Valley of Flowers).
 Afternoon drive to Gangtok on the way visit Bheema & Twin Falls.
 Check-in to your hotel.
 Night halt at Gangtok

DAY 05: GANGTOK SIGHTSEEING - PELLING (ABOUT 132 KMS / 05 HRS. DRIVE)
 After breakfast visit Bonjhakri Falls.
 Afternoon drive to Pelling (6800 ft / 05 hrs.)
 Check-in to your hotel & rest of the day at leisure.
 Night halt at Pelling

DAY 06: PELLING SIGHTSEEING
 After breakfast start for local sightseeing tour covering Rimbi Falls,Rock Garden, Khangchendzonga falls, Khachoedpalri Wish Lake.
 Afternoon visit Pemayangtse Monastery, Rabdantse Ruins, Rabdantse View Point, Helipad Ground.
 Night halt at Pelling

DAY 07: PELLING – NJP RLY. STN. / IXB AIRPORT (ABOUT 140 KMS/05 HRS. DRIVE)
 Morning free for packing & personal activities.
 After breakfast Check out from hotel and transfer to IXB airport for your onward journey.

PS: This agency also does all corporate booking for us and am assured that all transfers & accommodation will be of the premium category.
Old 19th March 2015, 16:30   #37
BHPian

Quote:
The Inclusions/Exclusions are as below:

Package Inclusions

 Return Economy Class Airfare to Bagdogra , Ex-Bangalore
 03 Nights’ Accommodation at 3 star hotel in Gangtok.
 02 Nights’ Accommodation at 3 star hotel in Pelling.
 01 Night Accommodation at 3 star hotel in Lachung.
 Return Airport transfers
 Daily Breakfast & Dinner
 All sightseeing places as mentioned
 All Tours and Transfers on Private basis

Package Exclusions
 GST @ 3.09% on the gross billing.
 Camera and video camera fees.
 Personal expenses like tips, bar & restaurant charge, Monuments Guide.
 Personal expenses which are not including the above cost include portion.
40k is decent (assuming that it is custom made tour for your family and not a group tour) - airfares itself will cost you around 14 to 15k during peak summer months if you do the bookings yourself. As it includes 3 star acco with BF and dinner, private car, quote is reasonable

Clarify with your tour operators if this covers permits to Tsongo lake and Lachung. Mot of the times tour operators include it in their cost, but they should mention it.

Zero point - Clarify if this is included or it needs to be paid separately. general practice is - they don't include in the cost, you need to pay separately to the driver. It is around 2.5 to 3k.
daisyb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 18:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
[i]Package Inclusions
Please let us know which tour operator you went with, planning a SIKKIM tour.
How is the feedback.

Thanks,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks