Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2013, 02:09   #61
BHPian

Re: Drive to Kashmir Valley & Ladakh in my XUV500

This was an excellently put together travelogue. Thanks for sharing. Amazing pictures.
Drivethru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 11:04   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Also I didn't see the photograph at Magnetic Hill ? That too was an interesting experience for kids.
The magnetic hill phenomenon is nothing but an optical illusion. I had read up about it and didn't even bother to stop there. Also, there were no kids with us!
Old 14th July 2013, 11:49   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Also I didn't see the photograph at Magnetic Hill ? That too was an interesting experience for kids.
Absolutely an optical illusion of the hills as Debuda says. But it is interesting to see how it is created and you have to go about the area to actually realize it. I have on my agenda to put something on this aspect in my travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravdc View Post
Jamshedpur to Ladakh in XUV 500 prompted my brother-in-law to start thinking, asto how it will be to take his Safari to Kashmir, (from Kolkata), which was promptly rubbished by his sister.
Ok, if Debuda's Jamshedpur to Ladakh is not enough and that too at his age (no offense meant Debuda, in fact I am awestruck), maybe you guys have to read ADC's ladakh travails in his Safari from Kolkata itself
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 14:39   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Absolutely an optical illusion of the hills as Debuda says. But it is interesting to see how it is created and you have to go about the area to actually realize it. I have on my agenda to put something on this aspect in my travelogue.

Ok, if Debuda's Jamshedpur to Ladakh is not enough and that too at his age (no offense meant Debuda, in fact I am awestruck), maybe you guys have to read ADC's ladakh travails in his Safari from Kolkata itself

Met a biker returned from Leh, on Friday, near Hiland Park. Even he had to say that Magnetic hill is an illusion. His Enfield 500 could do the stretch and difficulty was due to thin air.

I am seriously contemplating Leh/Ladakh. Possibly in my b-i-l's Safari. Will my Ritz Vdi do it?

Question is time & wife's permission ... !!
sauravdc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 14:59   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravdc View Post
Met a biker returned from Leh, on Friday, near Hiland Park. Even he had to say that Magnetic hill is an illusion. His Enfield 500 could do the stretch and difficulty was due to thin air.

I am seriously contemplating Leh/Ladakh. Possibly in my b-i-l's Safari. Will my Ritz Vdi do it?

Question is time & wife's permission ... !!
Firstly, my comments above were absolutely with pun intended, nothing serious

Ritz should be able to do very well there except plan for time when there is least slush. The most favorite cars of the region are 800 (incl new one, we saw quite a few new deliveries driving down the roads), Alto, Swift, Santro. But, Safari is more the vehicle to take there.

Oh the Magnetic Hill indeed is an Optical Illusion as also officially known. There is nothing about Magnetic Pull and stopping you drive/ride. The rarefied air at that point is also not too much of a concern unlike higher up places. So never be worried about that. Just gives impression that vehicles slide UP on an incline in neutral whether in forward/reverse on that road. More will come in my travelogue.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 09:56   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

debuda,

Very well written travelogue with the right amount of details where needed.
Photos have really really come out nice. Apart from the portraits, the icicles one is awesome.
You have shown us some nice places where not everyone of us can go to. Thanks for that.

From my last year's drive, the roads don't seem to have improved. Good thing is they don't seem to have deteriorated as well.

One question: Overall how would you rate the XUV5OO after this trip?
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 12:41   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
debuda,

One question: Overall how would you rate the XUV5OO after this trip?
A comprehensive technical report on the performance of my XUV-W6 during the Ladakh trip can be seen here.

I would certainly rate the XUV quite high in its category (sub 15 lakh Indian SUV). However, I must clarify that I haven't personally driven all other Indian SUVs in this category sufficiently to be able to do a definitive comparative study or rating.

There were one or two occasions during this trip when I wished I had the AWD version.

Last edited by debuda : 30th July 2013 at 12:50.
debuda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 00:23   #68
BHPian

Debuda, a really crisp travelogue with really good quality pictures!

Even I have a Silver XUV and seeing your XUV against those gorgeous settings could only increase my urge to get up to Ladakh at the earliest! Hopefully Sep 2014 will be the year!

Regarding the moisture in fuse box, I remember once having a casual chat with my RM about car wash. For some reason, he mentioned that when XUV is washed outside at service stations, make sure the underbody wash is not done. This was because with the high pressure jet, water could seep into the sensors and cause damage! Now it all makes sense!
Columbus_500 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks