Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2013, 13:04   #16
BHPian

Re: A weekend drive : Bangalore to Virajpet

Excellent pictures there anantu.

You brought back the memories of our Sep2012 trip to Virajpet.

We stayed in a homestay then on the outskirts of Virajpet. My cousin had been enjoying the views you had from Coffee Trails all through her stay of 5 years in the dental college above your resort. Awesome place, I must say.

Hope you don't mind me putting up some pics of my visit.

The Golden Temple. We had been there during their prayer time and hence were not allowed to visit the interior of the temple. A nice place indeed.
A weekend drive : Bangalore to Virajpet-100_3407-medium.jpg

A weekend drive : Bangalore to Virajpet-100_3409-medium.jpg

A weekend drive : Bangalore to Virajpet-100_3421-medium.jpg

A weekend drive : Bangalore to Virajpet-05092012822-medium.jpg

Abbey Falls. Had been there in the afternoon. Was raining there in the month of September and had loads of water. Went onto the bridge to get a capture from there, but the water spray was so much that I feared taking the cam out.
A weekend drive : Bangalore to Virajpet-100_3462-medium.jpg

A weekend drive : Bangalore to Virajpet-100_3464-medium.jpg

A weekend drive : Bangalore to Virajpet-05092012844-medium.jpg

A weekend drive : Bangalore to Virajpet-05092012850-medium.jpg

These are of the Chelluvera falls. Around 35-40kms from Virajpet. You need a bit of trekking skills to get there. Once you get there, the view is awesome. Did not venture out into the water. A lots and lots of leeches there, be cautious.
A weekend drive : Bangalore to Virajpet-06092012902-medium.jpg

A weekend drive : Bangalore to Virajpet-06092012908-medium.jpg
Old 18th June 2013, 15:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Excellent pictures there anantu.

You brought back the memories of our Sep2012 trip to Virajpet.

We stayed in a homestay then on the outskirts of Virajpet. My cousin had been enjoying the views you had from Coffee Trails all through her stay of 5 years in the dental college above your resort. Awesome place, I must say.

Hope you don't mind me putting up some pics of my visit.

[left][center][i]The Golden Temple. We had been there during their prayer time and hence were not allowed to visit the interior of the temple. A nice place indeed.

Abbey Falls. Had been there in the afternoon. Was raining there in the month of September and had loads of water. Went onto the bridge to get a capture from there, but the water spray was so much that I feared taking the cam out.

These are of the Chelluvera falls. Around 35-40kms from Virajpet. You need a bit of trekking skills to get there. Once you get there, the view is awesome. Did not venture out into the water. A lots and lots of leeches there, be cautious.
Hey carzone,

I don't mind at all. Some wonderful pictures there. Even we were not allowed to go in because of the prayers.

I must say your cousin is very lucky to have that kind of a view for a full 5 years. In fact, the view from the dental college is even better since it sits higher than Coffee Trails.

We did not visit the Chelluvera falls. However, after seeing your pics, we are going to plan for it next year. I've promised Mrs. Ragini Suraj to be back next year anyway

Regards,
Anant
Old 20th June 2013, 11:17   #18
BHPian

Sorry.. had forgot to post the most important picture of all.

A weekend drive : Bangalore to Virajpet-dsc07116.jpg

Thanks,
Anant
anantu2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 21:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
and the other was Coffee Trails (http://www.coffeetrailscoorg.com/Cof...ails/home.html). While the former was a typical resort, the latter was a homestay. We always prefer a homestay and immediately started searching for more information about Coffee Trials. Fortunately, the reviews on TripAdvisor were very good and pictures of the room and the place were very catchy. So we made up our mind about the place and called the owner for reservations. The lady at the other end was very sweet and confirmed availability for that particular weekend. Hence started our trip to a place which we had never been to, although we dreamt about it for quite some years.
Dear Anantu, the website is not working. Do you have the number of the place?
Old 24th June 2013, 09:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Dear Anantu, the website is not working. Do you have the number of the place?
Hi Arindamray,

Here is the phone number of Mrs. Ragini Suraj - 09379753838

Regards,
Anant
Old 24th June 2013, 12:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Arindamray,

Here is the phone number of Mrs. Ragini Suraj - 09379753838

Regards,
Anant
Very good pictures Anant. The scenery is stunning.

Could you tell me if the road that you took had hair pins? I understand once you enter Kerala, you get them by the dozens but this looks okay to me.

Why I am asking the stupid question: I am not very confident about my driving in ghats. I have driven on the Mysore & Kanakpura highway (NH 209) for decent stretches (~150kms) and never had a problem but I have had some bad instances of stalling on a (modest) har pin when leaving the Cauvery Fishing Camp.

On the other hand - I really need to learn driving in the ghats, as they are very beautiful.
Old 25th June 2013, 09:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Very good pictures Anant. The scenery is stunning.

Could you tell me if the road that you took had hair pins? I understand once you enter Kerala, you get them by the dozens but this looks okay to me.

Why I am asking the stupid question: I am not very confident about my driving in ghats. I have driven on the Mysore & Kanakpura highway (NH 209) for decent stretches (~150kms) and never had a problem but I have had some bad instances of stalling on a (modest) har pin when leaving the Cauvery Fishing Camp.

On the other hand - I really need to learn driving in the ghats, as they are very beautiful.
Thanks Pratyush.

First of all, we never entered Kerala. We had only been to Virajpet and then Madikeri.

And no, these are not ghats like Shiraadi or Agumbe. The roads are absolutely brilliant and you don't need to worry at all. Specially the road from Kushalnagara to Madikeri is an absolute gem. In fact, I would recommend you to drive here before going for real ghat sections like Shiraadi. This would give you a good feeling about the roads.

If you have any more queries, please do get in touch.

Regards,
Anant
anantu2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 12:54   #23
BHPian

Any local team bhpian from Virajpet ? How is the weather condition in Virajpet as of now?? Based on @anantu2001's detailed review of the place we have booked this place for the weekend.. I am only hearing it rained heavily last night and there are some road blocks and traffic disruptions..
Well we planned this time of the month to enjoy some rain but this heavy can be a spoiler..
Old 25th July 2013, 10:58   #24
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Can anyone confirm if the route below is the best if I wish to avoid going to Mysore:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...f17c31ca99241a

Any decent place for breakfast in the midst?
Old 25th July 2013, 13:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Can anyone confirm if the route below is the best if I wish to avoid going to Mysore:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...f17c31ca99241a

Any decent place for breakfast in the midst?
Pratyush,

I have just replied to your PM. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Regards,
Anant
Old 27th July 2013, 09:06   #26
BHPian

Anyone Driving down to Virajpet - Do not take the shortcut from Periyapatna to Virajpet, drive through Kushalnagar. I have found this out the wrong way.
Old 27th July 2013, 09:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone Driving down to Virajpet - Do not take the shortcut from Periyapatna to Virajpet, drive through Kushalnagar. I have found this out the wrong way.
Hi Pratyush,

The route that you had initially sent me was via Kushalnagar. So i thought you knew about the state of the road. What happened?

Regards,
Anant
Old 28th July 2013, 20:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Pratyush,

The route that you had initially sent me was via Kushalnagar. So i thought you knew about the state of the road. What happened?

Regards,
Anant

Hi Anant,

Drove down to Periyapatna. Then Nokia Drive gave me the option which was way shorter (around 20kms) directly to Virajpet (SH 88 A). Turned out to be a big mistake. No roads only moon sized craters for around 30kms of them.

Thought I might save some time but ended up spending close to 2 hrs for the last 45kms.
Old 27th August 2013, 17:23   #29
BHPian

@anantu2001 Thanks for an amazing detailed review, we had an equally awesome trip to this place last weekend.
After cancelling once in July first week due to heavy rains we ended up going previous weekend to this place at Virajpet.

Current road condition as of : 25th August
As mentioned didn't try to venture into direct road to Virajpet, instead took road till Kushalnagar and from there towards Siddapura and Virajpet.

Roads from Mysore till Kushalnagar is a breeze. After Kushalnagar, left turn towards Siddapura and then head to Virajpet. Around 6-10Kms of bad stretch in and around Dubare Elephant camp, still doable.

Road from Virajpet to Madikeri is in good condition with lush greens on both sides..

On our way back road from Madikeri to Mysore is very good. The road is open for small motor vehicles as the half collapsed road repair work was in progress near to Suntikoppa.
Old 27th August 2013, 17:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyon View Post
@anantu2001 Thanks for an amazing detailed review, we had an equally awesome trip to this place last weekend.
After cancelling once in July first week due to heavy rains we ended up going previous weekend to this place at Virajpet.

Current road condition as of : 25th August
As mentioned didn't try to venture into direct road to Virajpet, instead took road till Kushalnagar and from there towards Siddapura and Virajpet.

Roads from Mysore till Kushalnagar is a breeze. After Kushalnagar, left turn towards Siddapura and then head to Virajpet. Around 6-10Kms of bad stretch in and around Dubare Elephant camp, still doable.

Road from Virajpet to Madikeri is in good condition with lush greens on both sides..

On our way back road from Madikeri to Mysore is very good. The road is open for small motor vehicles as the half collapsed road repair work was in progress near to Suntikoppa.
Hi Kiyon,

Glad to hear that you had a wonderful trip. But here on T-BHP we expect some pictures and a detailed report

Please do the needful.

Regards,
Anant

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks