Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2014, 17:04   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Photologue : Fort Kochi without visiting a fort

Lovely snaps jacs!

Brought back a lot of good memories. During 2002-05, we were staying here:

Photologue : Fort Kochi without visiting a fort-1c.jpg

For rent. The Army Welfare Flats (between the Asoka-Tharangini apartments) on the 6th floor overlooking the Bolgatty Island, from the balcony and one of the bedrooms of our apartment. There was a hotel adjacent to the High Court building that serves kickass beef curry and phulka rotis, veg. spring rolls, sukhiyan among others. The advocates used to throng this place during their tea breaks. And a small shop (thattukada would be apt) opposite to this hotel that serves milk-shakes. The Sharjah shake here was retailing for Rs. 12 back then. Very close to the SBI ATM. Those were the days!

This was also the time that an SBI ATM was inaugurated in one of those ferries (jhankar boats) that shuttled between High Court jetty and Bolgatty/Fort Kochi (Link) and it failed miserably despite all the hype it had created; first ATM in a boat and whatnot!

The bridges connecting the Vypin islands to the mainland were not built at that time and we were fortunate to witness the construction from our apartment’s balcony. The beams used to be built elsewhere and transported on barges to the location. And a large crane would then erect them and place it on the piers. Lovely sight it was. Once the bridges came up, the ferry that shuttled between Bolgatty and High Court stopped service (obviously!). There was also a restaurant that came up near the walkway, Marine Drive built above the waters but it went up in flames in an accident and that was the end of it.

I need to do a trip some time to relive the good memories. Beautiful place it is.

PS: Have you watched the movie Annayum Rasoolum? You should if you haven’t.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 19:24   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

What a beautiful set of pics! I never knew you can give this beautiful shots when I saw the Cochin meet pics. These are in a different league!

Rated 5 stars too!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Lovely snaps jacs!

Brought back a lot of good memories. During 2002-05, we were staying here:

This was also the time that an SBI ATM was inaugurated in one of those ferries (jhankar boats) that shuttled between High Court jetty and Bolgatty/Fort Kochi (Link) and it failed miserably despite all the hype it had created; first ATM in a boat and whatnot!

There was also a restaurant that came up near the walkway, Marine Drive built above the waters but it went up in flames in an accident and that was the end of it.

I need to do a trip some time to relive the good memories. Beautiful place it is.

PS: Have you watched the movie Annayum Rasoolum? You should if you haven’t.
Gannu, glad that you liked the snaps. Living in a balcony there is no doubt an experience and you had witnessed the stages of Kochi in real. My experience with Kochi is very less and I would say 10%. One thing I can assure is the surprise you would have when you visit again .

Annayum Rasoolum really brings out the Kochi vibes. I liked it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What a beautiful set of pics! I never knew you can give this beautiful shots when I saw the Cochin meet pics. These are in a different league!

Rated 5 stars too!
Thanks a lot buddy.

Last edited by jacs : 3rd January 2014 at 12:56.
Old 8th March 2016, 07:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs
May be I am the first guy on earth to visit Fort Kochi and opt a 100% veg lunch. I walked straight to this Hotel New Ananda Bhavan run as an ancestral business by a Swami who received me with his innocent smile. I am hungry but did not want to fill my tummy with sumptuous unlimited meals so ordered a Masala Dosa and Coffee. Not in past 1 year I had such a genuine ghee flavour, tasty sambhar and chutney. Bill was less than around 50 bucks as I recollect. Swami thanked me for visiting them as business is very dull as most people opt sea food while in Fort Kochi. My recommendation for this small but hygienic place.
…)
Yesterday being Sivarathri, I had a holiday and went for a breakfast ride on my Thunderbird to Fort Kochi. Sadly Ananda Bhavan is closed and no more similar restaurants near by.
Old 16th January 2019, 19:29   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Question for the long-term residents of Cochin: Has Fort Kochi been cleaned-up and smartened up over the past, say 10 years?

I remember going to Cochin as a kid in the 90s and Fort Kochi was no big deal back then. At least not that I remember. I did a trip in 2007 by bike from Bangalore to Cochin and even then, we just went to the waterfront, ate some fresh crab and headed back to the city.

This decade, I've attended this year's Biennale and the last one and Fort Kochi looks amazing to me! Well-preserved architecture, a waterfront that's slowly getting better (except for the beach which is still very badly littered), nice cafes and hotels and just seems like a much better tourist destination.

It wasn't always this way, right? When did the transformation start? Did the Biennale help?
Old 17th January 2019, 16:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

That is an amazing story of Fort Kochi painted through wonderful pictures, and the title in priceless. My five stars for this thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks