Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 22:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Civved : Wayanad

Hey Lalu,

Lovely pictures as expected, have never seen Wayanad so beautiful in snaps.

This will be the best guide for any one planning a Wayanad trip.

What you have given as "Kanthanpara falls" is not the real one. From that spot you need to walk left for around 100m and you will see the real big fall.

I had stayed in a homestay near there, suggested by HVK in a very old post of his.

Cheers

Vindy
VindyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 22:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subs View Post
Laluks

Do you make alterations to your pictures, specially the landscape ones or is it some settings on your camera that make these pictures awesome? In particular, the sky and the mountains or the blue waters look surreal.

Please let me know, for me to use in my next trip.

And now you have made me hungry after those pics about the lunch at Nilambur. Where is this KTDC restaurant, how many kms from Sulthan Bathery? I presume its a more than decent hotel as the ones in Bathery or Kalpetta are not that good.

Subs
Thank You Subs. The camera is sometimes set at vivid mode to get some rich colours. Then a bit of a tweak with shadows and saturation and a bit of a noise added, I am good to go with some borders!

This KTDC Motel is before Nilambur if you are travelling from Sulthan Bathery. If you are coming via Nadugani Churam, then its just under 100KMs from Sulthan Bathery. But be warned, I did not like the mad traffic in this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Where is the office located? and do they provide anything like to eat or for trekking? (inclusive in the 500 Rs for 10 people)
Once you reach the Chembra Peak deviation from Meppadi, travel a few kilometers on that route to reach the Office. Once you pay the entrance fee, you can travel an additional 2 kms or so before you park the car and start the trek. There is nothing included with the entrance fee. You have to carry water and some eatables if you need. Avid trekkers have done one way in 2 to 2.5 hours. We took an overall 3 Kms to climb and 3.5 to descend. Including the liberal breaks, we started at 7:00AM and reached the base back by 4:00PM. We carried some water and fruits with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Lalu,
Awesome & mesmerising photographs.
This has been long pending to do list of ours.

At least I will be able to see it through your lens.
Thanks v&v, more pictures coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I have lost all concentration and before I flood my desk salivating, have asked mom to cook me putt and thenga aracha kadala curry for breakfast tomorrow definite. So I will go through the rest of the log only after I get my putt tomorrow. We usually cook kadala curry without grinding the coconut. And putt is my favorite.

And I do not need to say much about the Wayanad snaps. The awesomeness in your snaps is that those snaps are talking to the reader, with the help of the captions of course. Even, the snap of the dishes are literally mouth watering.

Two snaps in which the PPGs are on tip of the peak really made my heart skip a beat. Scary; maybe more because I am a bit acrophobic.
Thanks Thoma.
Now you make hungry for that kadala curry with coconut
The PPG snaps from the top from that angle made it look scary, infact just after the rock there is some more ground before the drop starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hey Lalu,

Lovely pictures as expected, have never seen Wayanad so beautiful in snaps.

This will be the best guide for any one planning a Wayanad trip.

What you have given as "Kanthanpara falls" is not the real one. From that spot you need to walk left for around 100m and you will see the real big fall.

I had stayed in a homestay near there, suggested by HVK in a very old post of his.

Cheers

Vindy
Thanks vindywheels
Kanthanpara main falls was out of bounds by collectors order. Some chap decided to suicide there! So was many other waterfalls!

Last edited by laluks : 10th July 2013 at 22:19.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 12:39   #33
BHPian

Another 'CIVVED' travelogue to treasure from you, Lalu sir. Can safely say even by Team-BHP standards, this looks like the most Comprehensive Wayanad Travelogue going by the pictures, which as usual are terrific. The trek photos of Chembra Peak and Hridaya Saras were too good. Awaiting the Gps trail of your Wayanad trip. Must plan a trip soon. It is a place I haven't visited yet despite being just 250 kms away in Tiruppur. By the way, where is the cottage you stayed in located?
venkatt1800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 21:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatt1800 View Post
Another 'CIVVED' travelogue to treasure from you, Lalu sir. Can safely say even by Team-BHP standards, this looks like the most Comprehensive Wayanad Travelogue going by the pictures, which as usual are terrific. The trek photos of Chembra Peak and Hridaya Saras were too good. Awaiting the Gps trail of your Wayanad trip. Must plan a trip soon. It is a place I haven't visited yet despite being just 250 kms away in Tiruppur. By the way, where is the cottage you stayed in located?
Thanks Venkatt
The cottage is near Edakkal Caves, its called Edakkal Hermitage. I would not say it as a best option, as I found the place too boring.
Old 11th July 2013, 23:53   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

This KTDC Motel is before Nilambur if you are travelling from Sulthan Bathery. If you are coming via Nadugani Churam, then its just under 100KMs from Sulthan Bathery. But be warned, I did not like the mad traffic in this route.

I was waiting to see a good travelogue on Wayanad and thanks for sharing the superb photos!.

Your point about the mad traffic in this sector is absolutely true. I have also felt it last time when coming from Mysore.

regards
bbhavan
bbhavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 10:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
I was waiting to see a good travelogue on Wayanad and thanks for sharing the superb photos!.

Your point about the mad traffic in this sector is absolutely true. I have also felt it last time when coming from Mysore.

regards
bbhavan
Thanks bbhavan.

That sector from the exit of Nadugani Churam till Nilambur was chaotic, and fast moving vehicles, leaving you always guessing your next moves. Was taxing me quite a lot, and that was also the reason when I saw KTDC, I just broke the drive and relaxed for a while. That one hour of drive was just too much!
Old 12th July 2013, 10:49   #37
BHPian

B E A Utiful...

That's the only word I have for this travelogue.

Pictures are awesome. I have been to Wayanad once but coudn't do anything there as I went in Spring and it was raining so came back to Coorg from there. But, after looking at this travelogue I would definitely like to visit Wayanad in near future.

Thanks for such an excellent writeup.

-Pallav
gurha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 17:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Simply beautiful !!! Like all your Civved travelogues, this one is also fantastic. There is so much yet to see in India. Thanks for sharing, I will show this to my wife. If she agrees, then maybe I will also go to Wayanad with her... O.T question - Did your Civvy scrape her bottom on the bad roads (those in the pictures) ? 5 * rating for the thread
W.A.G.7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 18:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurha View Post
B E A Utiful...

That's the only word I have for this travelogue.

Pictures are awesome. I have been to Wayanad once but coudn't do anything there as I went in Spring and it was raining so came back to Coorg from there. But, after looking at this travelogue I would definitely like to visit Wayanad in near future.

Thanks for such an excellent writeup.

-Pallav
Thanks Pallav.
Wayanad in the rains, would be fun if you are in a good resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Simply beautiful !!! Like all your Civved travelogues, this one is also fantastic. There is so much yet to see in India. Thanks for sharing, I will show this to my wife. If she agrees, then maybe I will also go to Wayanad with her... O.T question - Did your Civvy scrape her bottom on the bad roads (those in the pictures) ? 5 * rating for the thread
Thanks W.A.G.7.
Civvy did fine, no scraping in any of these routes.
Old 13th July 2013, 15:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

Day 01
22nd December 2012
Bangalore - Nugu - Kabini -Taraka - Manathavady - Sultan Battery

Every drive is unique in its own way. It been umpteen times that we drove on Mysore road. It doesn't inspire us, innumerable humps, two wheelers, slow traffic, what not. I was not very much happy about the idea of taking Mysore road, nor did I want to take the Kanakapura route in the dark, since we start quite early. So I made some plans to break the monotony by taking some interesting routes at day break, where ever we could reach.

We started by 04:00AM, took the NICE road and exited at Mysore Road exit and continued on towards Mysore and further on to Nanjangud. We reached Nanjangud by around 07:00AM. I did not want to continue on towards Gundulpet since it did not interest me anymore. I took a gamble and took the route towards Kabini via Sargur from Begur.

It really paid us good incentives with a not much frequented single lane route through some pristine areas. We really enjoyed the drive and soon we reached Nugu Reservoir. It was a wonderful place and we broke our journey there for sometime. It was 07:45 AM and the weather was nice too.

We stopped by Nugu Reservoir
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7960.jpg

The single lane road was fun

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7962.jpg

Beautiful Nugu in the morning

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7926.jpg

Water level was quite low

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7928.jpg

The dried land and water

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7930.jpg

The place was very beautiful
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7931.jpg

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7953.jpg

A panorama of the reservoir
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7934editedit.jpg

After spending some time, it was time for us to move on

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7963.jpg

continued...
Old 13th July 2013, 16:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

Day 01
22nd December 2012

A little later we reached the reservoir town. There was a guest house too there. The place was beautiful. May be one day I must get some contacts to get me booked there if at all it is possible!

We stopped by Nugu Reservoir
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7965.jpg

Nugu Reservoir Gate
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7966.jpg

But the reservoir was out of bounds

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7967edit.jpg

The Guest House gate is to the left, right one is for the road that we drove on
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7968.jpg

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7969.jpg

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7972.jpg

Civvy waiting for me to get back!
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7970.jpg

Nugu Dam
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7974.jpg

The road ahead was patchy
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7977.jpg

We had miles to go
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7978edit.jpg

This route has a restriction
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7973.jpg

continued...
Old 13th July 2013, 16:35   #42
Senior - BHPian

Day 01
22nd December 2012

By now everyone was getting hungry, and we were in search of some eateries. This route is not so frequented so, as expected there were no decent ones. But we cared two hoots about the ambiance!

Soon we found a hotel, Hotel Kabini.
Civved : Wayanad-dsc05172.jpg

The place looked interesting
Civved : Wayanad-dsc05170.jpg

I went up to check the place
Civved : Wayanad-dsc05169.jpg

I got my daily dose of gossip along with breakfast
Civved : Wayanad-dsc05171.jpg

The food was ok for the place. We finished our breakfast and we were ready to roll. We decided to drive towards Kabini.

We saw a bullock cart after a long while
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7979.jpg

continued...
Old 13th July 2013, 19:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Day 01
22nd December 2012

We drove towards Kabini Reservoir, and once we reached the Dam are we decided to drive further towards Orange County. Some where near Orange County we could get to the water, and we decided to enjoy a bit at Kabini. The blue colour of the water would give even Pangong Tso lake in Leh, Ladakh Himalayas a run for cover.

We went to Water's edge
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7982.jpg

These guys were collecting drinking water

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7983.jpg

We had some fun at Kabini
Civved : Wayanad-dsc05179.jpg

Civved : Wayanad-dsc05184.jpg

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_7990.jpg

What an expanse
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8009edit.jpg

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8026edit.jpg

continued...
Old 13th July 2013, 20:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

Day 01
22nd December 2012

Kabini Dam
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8037.jpg

Civved : Wayanad-dsc05189.jpg

Jr. PPG at Kabini Dam

Civved : Wayanad-dsc05193.jpg

Civved : Wayanad-dsc05190.jpg

The pathway of the Dam

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8069.jpg

There were a lot of migratory birds there
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8040.jpg

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8049edit.jpg

The reservoir was quite empty

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8042.jpg

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8056edit.jpg

We then moved on towards the road to Wayanad

continued...
Old 13th July 2013, 20:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Day 01
22nd December 2012

On the main road I saw a board showing a deviation to Taraka Dam, and took it.

We were at Taraka Dam
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8090.jpg

The pathway to the Dam
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8074.jpg

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8075.jpg

The reservoir was a small one
Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8078.jpg

There were a lot of oil palms cultivated near by

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8080.jpg

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8081.jpg

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8085.jpg

Civved : Wayanad-dsc_8087.jpg