Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2021, 12:21   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Drive to Berijam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
July 1980, When I was 18 years of age and studying in college, I took part in a 10 day NSS camp held at Berijam. We were about 45 boys from the same college, stayed here in 2 halls, one a newly built school building and the other a primary health centre. The place was so remote and there wasn't any electricity, no bulbs, no tv, no telephone, not even water taps. We used hurricane laterns at nights and we have to go to the nearby stream to fetch our everyday water. We cooked our food ourselves taking turns.

Those days I use to be a member of the college entertainment group. So the NSS-faculty enrolled some 6 of us into the camp for the sake of giving entertainment shows for the campers. We ofcourse did some camp-work like planting trees, thinning forests etc., but mostly our time was spent on planning for the evening's entertainment.

Robin my best friend was with me and some other guys in the group were Vivekanandan, Sridhar and Mughil. These guys are very talented and are born entertainers. Among these Vivekanadan used to be the best, none can beat him in bursting jokes, mimicries and mono acts. He makes us laugh all the time. We use to sit in the dark under a latern and composed short plays & skits. We sang songs and played carrom. We walk out to collect dry wood for cooking food. We go to the streams for fetching water. We strolled a distance looking for bisons. Memories still linger.

Some are gone and some remain. Got contacts with Robin even now. Vivekanadan relocated himself to Chennai and his talents rewarded him more than what he could dream of. He went on to become a top-comedian in tamil movies who is now known as 'Vivek'

I remembered this post of yours when I heard the terrible news today.

RIP Vivek.
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed