Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2013, 18:52   #1
BHPian

Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!

Destination Bangalore – Hyderabad – Bangalore
Date of departure : 14th August 2pm @ BIAL toll both
Date of return: 15th August 3pm Q RGI interchange
Cost of fuel – 5052 (First fill was at shell)
Travel time each side – approximately 7 hours (BIAL to RGI and vice versa)
Top Speed - XXX

Background –
Way back in 1999 when the Hayabusa first caught my eye; on the cover of Auto India magazine. Even today I remember a gold and silver combo bike with a rider in crouched position. Instantly the Hayabusa became every bikers dream machine. At that time I liked it for the specification and top speed but in the styling are it still scored pretty low I still impressed by the Ducati’s and Bimota’s.

Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-page5.jpg
Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-page3.jpg

2008 I was at the Auto Show, first time I laid my eyes on Hayabusa with a Candy Indy Blue / Pearl Nebular Black paint scheme. My wife had to remind that I was drooling in public

Then I got a glimpse of a green turbo busa from shamrok racing and From this time on the Gen2 Hayabusa became my top priority, finally I mustered up the courage and the cash to buy myself a well worshiped Hayabusa.

Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-img_14562.jpg
Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-_d3s0282.jpg

My Motto – Take a Busa to where no Busa has gone before.

The first 6 month of my possession; the bike was primarily used to commute to work, the idea was to get use to the handling of a heavy machine in traffic condition and slow move up the speed curve to the National highways. So a year passed experience gained time to test the skills.

I saddled up waited for few guys to join in finally was at the BIAL toll both in Bangalore at 1.51pm afternoon 14th August.

Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-20130814245.jpg
Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-20130814246.jpg

At about 2.40pm, 130km I wanted a quick pit top for lunch and choose this place called as Haritha restaurant at Kodikonda in AP. Lunch came to 150 Rupees for 3 Pulka’s dal fry, tea and a bottle of water. After 30 minutes I was off again to quench my thirst for the ride but first I need to adjust the gear level positing as the shift timing was longer, I reckoned this was due to the sizing difference between the regular shoes and the O’Neal matrix boots I had on this particular day. After the adjustments were done.

Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-20130814247.jpg
Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-20130814248.jpg

I rode for another hour reaching a small town called a Pamidi. The stretch between Pamidi and Gooty was awesome nice to take pictures - lots of scenery, wind mills. The most wired part was that the road turns reddish on this part of town.

At this stretch I encountered an Audi A6, you guys are going to love this part - the driver was dead center of the NH7 after a few beeps there he still refused to give way(trust me the horns are loud I put in the Pulsar 180 horns especially for this trip on a BUSA yes I did that). I had managed to overtake him, looks like the sales man at Audi misinformed him that his car was the fastest thing on India roads. Instead of giving way he kept pushing harder. Frustrated, I changed on to A mode to overtake him.

Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-20130814250.jpg
Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-20130814251.jpg
Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-20130814252.jpg
Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-20130814253.jpg

At about 5pm the trip was at 406KM I decided it was break time. I hauled over for a quick leak and stretch, after 15 minutes just as I was about to leave the A6 pulls over Driver giving me a dirty look then some kids in the back clicking picture /video of the bike. So off I was again but this time speed was a bit restricted due to Dogs, Cows and Sheep with suicidal tendencies. Yes they just stand there even after you horn, get off the bike shoo them with a stick.

Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-20130814256.jpg
Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-20130814254.jpg
Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-20130814255.jpg

The worst part was when a guy just jump across the divider and started moving his hear across, I did stop well in time but got myself sh*t scared with the squealing of tires from the car behind (Fortuner or Scorpio not able to recollect).

At 7pm like they say everyone’s luck runs out at some time or other my High beam went Ka-put. Luckily I found a KA reg Toyato Etios (with T-BHP sticker), so I decided to pull up and signal them that can’t see the road(which I could show the sign language he he). I think he got the clue and let me tail him for the next 150 KM. Thanks Man wish I could get your name.

So finally I reach the RGI airport flyover at 9 PM.

I took the fly over against some recommendations that bikes are not allowed and got away with it. Then came the dreadful traffic, I finally reach my Aunts Home at 10.30…..yes 1 hour 30 minutes for traffic and searching the address. And I ashamed to say I use to live in Hyderabad and not remember directions.

End of the Ride Day 1 - Dinner and Sleep

Day 2 – Breakfast, some family time, meet my cousin who is 8th Standard. He was 1 year old when I last saw him.. My does time fly by. Rushed through the next few hours to meet my family members living in the same area + attended a wedding. Yes I managed to squeeze that in too and finally at 2PM I was ready to take off….then all hell broke lose

I forgot to turn the key off when the bike was parked in the wedding hall and battery went dead. A quick call to Aryan Suzuki and tips from Shivanand - the rider seat was off, jumper cable attached from my bro in laws 2011 City (my was there a crow gathering when i was doing this)and we were ready to roll. Cant believe a guys asked if we were trying to start the Car....

RGI Fly over at 2PM cops stop me, just realized that I was on a flyover where bikes are not allowed. Somehow wriggled my way out of the situation with a verbal warning and some apologies form me and how I was new to the city…blah blah (but got a piece of my uncle’s mind for having to pull strings)

Off I was again with my Trusty Big Blue Bird…. Ride was uneventful expect for a surprised Fortuner and ML350, but these guys were more cooperative in giving me way.

Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-20130815257.jpg
Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-20130815258.jpg

Most of the ride the roads were wet but there was no rain so I was able to manage a decent speed and cover some mile. By 6pm I had already covered 400KM as the sun was going down my speed was getting restricted and had to tailgate some cars.

At first I managed to get by and i10 but every time he saw me following he was slowing down to 60, wonder what was running in his mind. Then came a Red for fiesta with under body lights and yes a T-BHP sticker…. I was thinking my prayer were answered, the guys was at a constant of 140 tailgating him got me gain a lot of ground.

Just as things were looking good again the fuel light came on and it had me disappointed I had to keep at constant of 100KM and switch to C mode to improve FE, and dam 10Km stretch there was no fuel outlets…. Not getting ideas …ideas …ideas then I caught a Tata 407 Pick-up doing about 80 and started coasting behind him assuming, praying that I get a fuel pump soon and yes prayer answered again, at 8.30pm found and outlet.

Bad luck again realized that I spent the last cash I had in the previous outlet(only 500 left and the bill was 1180) again prayers to rescue, the dude says “cash or card sir” with a big gleam back on my face I handed over my card…. (and to make me feel more stupid I found 2k at the bottom of my bag this morning when I was unpacking).

So off again the first sign board I see says new airport and the mile stone 80Km to Bangalore, bit dumb stuck I kept going and then saw another board that said Bangalore 43 KM, there again I found our T-BHP friend cursing soon as I over took and slowed down he took lead all the way till the BIAL toll. Finally I was at Home sweet home reached home safely at 9.45pm.

Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!-20130815259.jpg

As am still recovering from the numb fingers..but had to get back to work today

Next on my wish list is to do the Bangalore-Kanyakumari, Bangalore – Pondicherry…..well I would take it to Leh-Ladhak if I could.

Super biking to Hyderabad is a definitely YES

Ride 1 and 2 to be posted soon

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 23rd August 2013 at 15:11. Reason: [Eddy] Removed extra smileys [FS] Removed mention of speeding. Please refrain.
Harish.Krovvidi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 19:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!

Beautifully written.. congratulations on the ride as well as the write up. Must say, your fingers do endure a lot..

I have read in other posts by few other members how their headlights go kaputs. I wonder why is this such a frequent phenemenon on super Bikes?

Last edited by dass : 16th August 2013 at 19:56.
Old 16th August 2013, 20:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I wonder why is this such a frequent phenemenon on super Bikes?

Hi Dass,
In the busa the upper headlight is low beam also works as a DRL while the lower project the high beam. what surprised me is the DRL didn't fuse but rarely used high beam did. May be this weekends scrutiny will tell the truth.
Old 17th August 2013, 00:29   #4
BHPian

Nicely written Harish Sir!
What was your average speed?

I've never ridden a super bike earlier, so just curious to know, how do such powerful bikes feel at triple digit speeds? They must be definitely very confident-inspiring in the handling department right? (Always saying to the rider, "Is that all you got"?)

Pulsar horn in a Busa, now that's called Indian Jugaad
Is the Busa's horn so mild that you needed to do that?

-Bhargav

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 23rd August 2013 at 15:06. Reason: No discussions on max speeds, please.
Old 17th August 2013, 02:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Nicely written Harish Sir!
What was your average speed?

I've never ridden a super bike earlier, so just curious to know, how do such powerful bikes feel at triple digit speeds? They must be definitely very confident-inspiring in the handling department right? (Always saying to the rider, "Is that all you got"?)

Pulsar horn in a Busa, now that's called Indian Jugaad
Is the Busa's horn so mild that you needed to do that?
-Bhargav
Hi Bhargav

The busa has its positives and negatives, it's kerb weight it why it's so much hated for but this is what gives it the amazing highs speed stability even with 10km cross winds and wavy roads it never felt jittery.

If you have heard The horn on a 100cc scooter like dio then that's how the hayabusa oem horn sounds. It's very easy to replace it for rides like this I went to baja showroom bought a pair and mount both the horns and yes it helps, else the cars don't give way on the highway to bikers.

My helmet cams ordered off ebay did not reach India on time but they would have recorded the ride perfectly. You guys would have loved the A6 fly by.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 23rd August 2013 at 15:07. Reason: Edited the A6 encounter. No discussions on max speeds and speeding on public roads, please.
Harish.Krovvidi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 10:14   #6
BHPian

Good one. I admire your blue bird. It looks incredibly sexy. Could you please post some more pictures of the bike? It really looks damn sexy. I wish that I had one such vehicle during my college days.

I hope that you would drive safe and not be influenced by any other drivers on the road driving faster than you. There is nothing you gain in showing who is faster. Two wheelers are not the safest ones in India. Drive cautiously.

Last edited by joe1980 : 17th August 2013 at 10:16.
joe1980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 10:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harish.Krovvidi View Post
My helmet cams ordered off ebay did not reach India on time but they would have recorded the ride perfectly. You guys would have loved the A6 fly by.
A T'Bhpian with a Busa in Bangalore who commutes to work on it, and I haven't had a darshan yet

What's the route for your daily commute Harish?

P.S: I'm sure we'd love to see the big bad Busa in action in-person if the helmet cam video doesn't make its way here soon
Old 17th August 2013, 11:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
A T'Bhpian with a Busa in Bangalore who commutes to work on it, and I haven't had a darshan yet

What's the route for your daily commute Harish?

P.S: I'm sure we'd love to see the big bad Busa in action in-person if the helmet cam video doesn't make its way here soon
2012 work route was Ramamurthy nagar to manipall hospital. This route was still ok
2013 is Ramamurthy nagar to whitefield, this new office routes just bad

Headed to kolar for a short ride in next hour would like to tag along.

Last edited by Harish.Krovvidi : 17th August 2013 at 11:45. Reason: Spelling
Harish.Krovvidi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 15:42   #9
BHPian

Re: Bangalore -> Hyderabad on a Suzuki Hayabusa!

Dear Harish,
Congrats on that lovely writeup on your Ride
The Busa is an amazing Machine and quite belies its size and feels nimble once its in motion
I own a 2010 Pearl White and have completed 26,800 kms in 18 months of active riding
I dont ride in rains
Have done 400-500 kms trips
Would love to do a all india 6-8,000 km trip some day
Connecting to other busa owners for this
Let me know if you would wana join in
It would be fun to have many Busa's on the trip
Happy Riding and posting
Ram
pinnacle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 22:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I hope that you would drive safe and not be influenced by any other drivers on the road driving faster than you. There is nothing you gain in showing who is faster. Two wheelers are not the safest ones in India. Drive cautiously.
Yes I deifnetly agree, I realised I got carried away but was already late. Today's ride I made sure I was not influenced by faster traffic and paced myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post
Would love to do a all india 6-8,000 km trip some day
Hi Ram you are in my view a "busa legend" I have followed your posts about your experience on desponie. Have drooled at the pictures, untill I got mine.

I would love to join a long ride, we should try for the IBA on the busa something like Kashmir to kayakumari am game anytime. Am currently saving up for a MT01 to do a Len-Ladakh trip on a big bike do let me know your thoughts.
Old 17th August 2013, 23:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
2012 work route was Ramamurthy nagar to manipall hospital. This route was still ok
2013 is Ramamurthy nagar to whitefield, this new office routes just bad

Headed to kolar for a short ride in next hour would like to tag along.
Serves me right for not checking in on the forum in time
The Zeema and I will surely join in the next time round mate !

Too much to ask for few close up shots of the 'Busa?
Do try and get some over the weekend...
Old 19th August 2013, 16:34   #12
BHPian

Harish , fantastic, some more pictures to drool will be much appreciated. I really liked the part where you flew ahead of an A6 but then again as Joe mentioned its best to refrain from being carried away by another road user's speed. Amazing bike all the best for many more safe and long rides.
Old 20th August 2013, 14:41   #13
BHPian

That should have been one hell of an experience for you. Some parts were extremely hilarious in your ride like the battery charging thing, tail gating and the fuel pump scene.

I must say you are very lucky that every time you needed some help, you immediately got it.

One stupid question from my side though. What's the mileage that you got on this trip and what is the economy speed for that bike?
Old 20th August 2013, 17:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
What's the mileage that you got on this trip and what is the economy speed for that bike?
Good question on the mileage.

Fuel Cost 5057 / 78 per liter average = 64.5 liters
KM covered 1276 / Averaged about 19.7 KM per liter

I still had the fuel gauge showing as 3/4 so I rode to Kolar and back on Saturday, if I add this mileage we are at 22KM per liter

But not surprised as I have seen few others claiming to get about 20. I checked the brochure and manuals on converting the MPG its working out to the similar number.
Harish.Krovvidi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 17:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saturday, if I add this mileage we are at 22KM per liter
Does C mode help a bit ? .I have read with C mode , only 1 injector will be in working mode . 22 is a very good number .

Do share about service and parts experience .

Last edited by black12rr : 20th August 2013 at 17:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks