Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 17:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Deep into Leopard County (no, it's not Kabini). Bera, Rajasthan!

Read the travelogue in one go as I logged in today only. You do have some luck with the Leopards, I must say. I loved the yawning Zara. I guess one needs to spend at least a week to get good daytime sightings though these creatures are very reclusive and shy.

I wish you had named the friend who inspired you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post

So - there we were and i watched my plans going down the drain, then - i remembered - Bera, leopards, wildlife and jungle - our first love and favourite type of holidays.

I had come to know about this place from a friend, who goes to Jodhpur and had many a times wistfully mentioned about making a side trip to Bera and Jawai Sagar dam for Leopard sightings.

That was the inspiration for the trip.
Gaadiyon ki list se to lagta hai ki dhanda mandaa nahi hai..!

Quote:

I should mention - somehow - JEEPs pull at the strings of my heart and one thing that i really enjoyed was the Jeeps - i made it a point to drive all of them! Thakur saab had a veritable stable - with this SWB, 1 MM550, 1 Kaizer with DI engine, 1 Landy, 1 rally prepped Gypsy and 1 more Kaiser recently bought.

Dhandha bahut sahi chal raha hoga
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 23:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Read the travelogue in one go as I logged in today only. You do have some luck with the Leopards, I must say. I loved the yawning Zara. I guess one needs to spend at least a week to get good daytime sightings though these creatures are very reclusive and shy.

I wish you had named the friend who inspired you..
Sirjee, actually i did pencil in the name - but somehow took it out when actually putting it in the thread. In any case - you know very well that it was with you that i had these discussions - so, the friend in question is you

Quote:
Gaadiyon ki list se to lagta hai ki dhanda mandaa nahi hai..!
Bilkul!
sach.sri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 12:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

It would be really nic if you could post details of the route post Barr while going and the different route taken to return.
Old 18th September 2013, 20:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Lovely pics and narrative. Bera is definitely on my to visit places this year.
But what is really interesting is the owl picture. Just wanted to to confirm the owl ID. I am not sure if there are any Egyptian Eagle owls found in India. The photo surely resembles that of a Pharaoh Eagle Owl but its a very slim chance of it spotted in India. But I will look for more info.

Last edited by SPARKled : 18th September 2013 at 20:43.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 21:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
It would be really nic if you could post details of the route post Barr while going and the different route taken to return.
I had kept that route "safe" but the paper dissapeared. and as you know - my MMI was not working, so dont have it on MMI as well.

But - if you dont turn onto the road towards Barr from NH8 and continue straight towards Udaipur, that is the route - and you will hit something called "Gomti Chowk" need to take a right from here (straight takes you to Udaipur)

After that - the oldest gps in the world - "thoda bahut pooch paach ke pahunch hi jayenge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Lovely pics and narrative. Bera is definitely on my to visit places this year.
But what is really interesting is the owl picture. Just wanted to to confirm the owl ID. I am not sure if there are any Egyptian Eagle owls found in India. The photo surely resembles that of a Pharaoh Eagle Owl but its a very slim chance of it spotted in India. But I will look for more info.

I think you are right - i meant to say "Eurasian Eagle Owl" and instead said "Egyptian" - i do think that this is Eurasian eagle owl.
sach.sri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 22:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you are right - i meant to say "Eurasian Eagle Owl" and instead said "Egyptian" - i do think that this is Eurasian eagle owl.
Yes this is actually a Indian eagle or the Rock eagle owl. These were earlier treated as a sub species of the Eurasian Eagle Owl. Now there are 2 different species, the Pharaoh and the Rock/Indian Eagle owl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Eagle_Owl
Old 9th October 2013, 12:09   #22
BHPian

Wow I had never even heard of this place before I went through this log. Thanks for sharing, it is on my list for sure now
Old 9th October 2013, 17:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhan.harsh View Post
Wow I had never even heard of this place before I went through this log. Thanks for sharing, it is on my list for sure now
Thanks Harsh. Would be a good place to go for a lazy weekend kind of outing. with nothing else to do, other than going for Safaris and curling up in the sun with a book (provided you go in winters). Would wait for your TL on Bera.
sach.sri is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed