Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2018, 11:13   #76
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 819
Thanked: 769 Times
Default Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Guys family trip to Bangkok for 5 days. Any suggestions for budget accommodation around old town area? Also how to commute from Airport to the city? Reaching 3pm local time. Thanks in advance.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 18:35   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,261
Thanked: 645 Times
Default Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Hi
We are 2 couples and 1 kid.
Planning a 10 day trip to Thailand in first week of Feb.
Need help with finalising the Itinerary.
So far this has been decided.

6. feb - reach Phuket in morning. (Tips needed to view places around)
7. feb - Phang nga bay tour. Evening spent roaming Bangla street etc.
8. feb - Phuket roam around ( tips needed for things to see)
9. Feb - ferry to Phi Phi island. Spend the night there.
10. Feb- ferry to Koh Lanta. Spend the night there.
Need to know if we can increase our stay by a day on any of these islands.
Otherwise Next morning ferry to Krabi. Needs tips and places to go in Krabi.
15th feb - flight back from Krabi to Delhi.

Also recommendations for hotel stay in all these places are welcomed. Budget for accommodation is 3k-4k per night.

Last edited by harry10 : 30th December 2018 at 18:38.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 23:21   #78
BHPian
 
GKR9900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: EKM/Thrissur
Posts: 357
Thanked: 684 Times
Default Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Hi, me and my family (4 adults in total) are planning a 5 day trip to Bangkok from 5th March to 10th March 2019. I was planning on hiring a self drive rental car. Do we need to get an international driving permit to drive around? Will the Indian driving license be enough? Also, is it better to opt for a taxi than a self drive rental?
GKR9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 23:41   #79
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 629
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Hi, me and my family (4 adults in total) are planning a 5 day trip to Bangkok from 5th March to 10th March 2019. I was planning on hiring a self drive rental car. Do we need to get an international driving permit to drive around? Will the Indian driving license be enough? Also, is it better to opt for a taxi than a self drive rental?
I am not 100% sure but I don't think you need an IDP to drive in Thailand. For two wheelers, the rental guys don't even check your license, nor have I ever been stopped by the cops. But better to check with some known names like Hertz.
If you are going to be in and around Bangkok, there is no need for a self drive car. In fact, bangkok traffic is bad and the metro is preferred over taxi. However, if you plan to drive from Bangkok to say some place like Phuket, get the self drive. The highways are beautiful.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 23:48   #80
BHPian
 
GKR9900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: EKM/Thrissur
Posts: 357
Thanked: 684 Times
Default Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am not 100% sure but I don't think you need an IDP to drive in Thailand. For two wheelers, the rental guys don't even check your license, nor have I ever been stopped by the cops. But better to check with some known names like Hertz.
If you are going to be in and around Bangkok, there is no need for a self drive car. In fact, bangkok traffic is bad and the metro is preferred over taxi. However, if you plan to drive from Bangkok to say some place like Phuket, get the self drive. The highways are beautiful.
Thank you so much Planning to take a trip to Pattaya maybe for 2 days in between, but the plan hasnt yet finalised. Will indeed check your suggestions.
GKR9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 07:31   #81
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 5,014
Thanked: 4,968 Times
Default Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Thank you so much Planning to take a trip to Pattaya maybe for 2 days in between, but the plan hasnt yet finalised. Will indeed check your suggestions.
If its just Bangkok and Pattaya, donít take car for the whole duration. Bangkok works better with the BTS Skytrain/local taxis. And hire a car to go Pattaya.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 07:49   #82
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 228
Thanked: 236 Times
Default Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Bangkok is a traffic heavy city though the vehicles follow lane discipline. Cabs and public transport are wonderful and easily accessible. There are excellent luxury bus services to Pattaya from Bangkok. Once booked on them, they send a vehicle to pick you up from your hotel, put you in style aboard their bus and again deliver you to your Pattaya hotel. Rent a scooter in Pattaya, it is cheap and omni present.
fiestarry is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 21:23   #83
BHPian
 
GKR9900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: EKM/Thrissur
Posts: 357
Thanked: 684 Times
Default Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
And hire a car to go Pattaya.
This is my first international trip. We would be primarily staying at Bangkok and take 2 days off in between to visit Pattaya. The main purpose of visiting Pattaya is to try my luck in skydiving from Thai sky adventures. Going by the reviews in various travel forums, it can take anywhere from half a day to full day, depending on weather conditions. That would leave us only a day to go to other attractions like Sriracha tiger zoo , Khao Khew open zoo (yeah...a lot of zoos, I know ). The hotel checkout time is at 12.00 PM. If we have a self drive rental, we could leave the luggage inside the car after checking out, and could visit other attractions at a leisurely pace on our way back to Bangkok. Hiring a taxi would incur extra waiting charges at each station nah? Hence the doubt. Nothing have been finalised yet though. Waiting for suggestions from the community to plan further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Rent a scooter in Pattaya, it is cheap and omni present.
I love this option but we are a group of 4 with only me capable of driving a 2 wheeler

Last edited by GKR9900 : 11th January 2019 at 21:25.
GKR9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 23:00   #84
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,831
Thanked: 12,647 Times
Default Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Hi, me and my family (4 adults in total) are planning a 5 day trip to Bangkok from 5th March to 10th March 2019. I was planning on hiring a self drive rental car. Do we need to get an international driving permit to drive around? Will the Indian driving license be enough? Also, is it better to opt for a taxi than a self drive rental?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am not 100% sure but I don't think you need an IDP to drive in Thailand.
The rental agencies are happy to let one rent on the basis of the Indian DL, but it is said that some traffic cops can be unpleasant in asking for an IDP, preferably in the Thai language! That said, I've been stopped once by Thai traffic cops on the highway for a speed violation (I was driving a Toyota Hiace - vans have a limit of 100 kmph while cars are allowed 120 kmph, and I was unaware of this), and was fined 400THB - but they had no issues with my Indian DL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
...if you plan to drive from Bangkok to say some place like Phuket, get the self drive. The highways are beautiful.
Always rent from a reputed internationally known agency like Avis (my favourite), or Hertz / Budget etc., and insist on a full insurance with zero liability (Super Collision Damage Waiver or SCDW in Avis-speak) Never rent from a local operator. There are plenty of demented drivers in Thailand too (though less than India), and crashes are not uncommon.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 11th January 2019 at 23:01.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2019, 06:42   #85
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 5,014
Thanked: 4,968 Times
Default Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
This is my first international trip. We would be primarily staying at Bangkok and take 2 days off in between to visit Pattaya. The main purpose of visiting Pattaya is to try my luck in skydiving from Thai sky adventures. Going by the reviews in various travel forums, it can take anywhere from half a day to full day, depending on weather conditions. That would leave us only a day to go to other attractions like Sriracha tiger zoo , Khao Khew open zoo (yeah...a lot of zoos, I know ). The hotel checkout time is at 12.00 PM. If we have a self drive rental, we could leave the luggage inside the car after checking out, and could visit other attractions at a leisurely pace on our way back to Bangkok. Hiring a taxi would incur extra waiting charges at each station nah?
I would suggest to leave just one day for Pattaya. Its a highly overrated destination (especially in Kerala), probably owing to references in some recent movies . Plan your stay around Bkk, and arrange a day trip to Pattaya. You can negotiate for a car with driver for the whole day; they will do an early morning pickup from your Bkk hotel and drop you back in the night.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2019, 09:23   #86
BHPian
 
turbospooler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 222
Thanked: 331 Times
Default Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Visa on Arrival is free for Indians till 30th April 2019. Don't get Visas from Embassies here as the scenario has changed from what this thread suggested.
turbospooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planning a trip to Australia. Tips? Advice? abbey4u Route / Travel Queries 30 28th October 2018 13:15
The Thailand Chronicles: 7 day road-trip to North Thailand royalcruiser Travelogues 14 22nd October 2018 08:33
Need Advise - Planning for a Thailand/China Trip carboy Shifting gears 6 15th October 2008 09:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:33.

Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks