Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2013, 15:34   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Just a question, are highways safe with regards to robbery? What feedback did you get with regards to this from the truckers you interacted with?
For bikers it should not be much problem as robbers would confuse with locals in dark. Eastern Madhya Pradesh is not safe for night driving, though police is lot more alert these days. Same on NH 3 and NH12 around Brora in MP
Old 27th August 2013, 15:39   #17
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Leh on my Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
You should be in lower gear and open the throttle just enough for air to get in .Opening the throttle wide open will lean it completely and bike dies .

With FI bike it should have corrected itself , you just had to play with gears and throttle .With carb bikes you can lean every 4-5K feet climb and it should pull you through .Don't forget to rich it when you hit back plains .
I know that. I was also very careful. Ninja's struggle could be expected because it's power is at high revvings.

I had humbled Scorpios and plenty of other cars including Innovas at speed runs on NH roads who tried to overtake me.

I found that Ninja was not going above 160 kmph when I used normal petrol. You must use high octane petrol to get 180 kmph , though to be frank , I never touched 180 kmph so far even when I filled premium petrol( wherever I could get ) . Even from 150 to 160 it took more time than usual.
But to touch 140 kmph it wont take any time at all. Normally I was riding at 100 kmph or 120 kmph and very often I crossed 140 kmph all through my journey.
venuraja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 15:46   #18
BHPian

RevvMusic

Yes, initially it was a big a big problem to convince my wife but she was somehow convinced (herself) because I went on my Pulsar 220 to Amaravathi from Hyderbad non-stop and many 400 km strips to nearby district temple towns earlier.
Old 27th August 2013, 19:09   #19
BHPian

Hats off to you, @venuraja!

9000kms in 31 days and the fact that a major part of it is on inexistent roads is very very difficult. More so considering that you're a diabetic (compulsion of having timely, quality food).

I guess our AP roads must have felt like heaven after witnessing roads in other states up north/east.

But, one thing is for sure, these memories will stay with your for long time to cherish. Road trips (especially the ones which are undertaken alone) is actually when we move out of our urban chaos and get to be with ourselves.
Old 27th August 2013, 21:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikred View Post
Hats off to you, @venuraja!

9000kms in 31 days and the fact that a major part of it is on inexistent roads is very very difficult. More so considering that you're a diabetic (compulsion of having timely, quality food).

I guess our AP roads must have felt like heaven after witnessing roads in other states up north/east.

But, one thing is for sure, these memories will stay with your for long time to cherish. Road trips (especially the ones which are undertaken alone) is actually when we move out of our urban chaos and get to be with ourselves.
YES, you are right. Roads in AP are very good compared to other states. Even from Katra ( Vaishno Devi temple ) to Amrithsar , the road was not good in the begining though later on it was good but as you approach Batala again the roads were under repair and were bad.

When you do a solo journey, perticularly if it were like climbing mountains and facing the dangers involved , we will realise how small we are all before nature. A rider's mind calms down and his outlook towards life changes. You develop respect for other human beings and even for other living creatures.
venuraja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 22:47   #21
BHPian

Sir you are true LIVE TO DRIVE BHPian.

Reading your post was really enjoyable, exciting and inspiring as well.

At the age of 55 your drove 9000 KMs in a month on a bike alone. You are truly young at heart! Hats off to you venuraja

-
SS
Old 28th August 2013, 09:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhSaran View Post
Sir you are true LIVE TO DRIVE BHPian.

Reading your post was really enjoyable, exciting and inspiring as well.

At the age of 55 your drove 9000 KMs in a month on a bike alone. You are truly young at heart! Hats off to you venuraja

-
SS
Yes, that is correct.
It is because getting tired is psychological or at "mind" ( not brain ) level and your body would not get tired. And also we generally have more energy than we imagine.
Old 28th August 2013, 10:32   #23
BHPian

Wow! That's one amazing trip!! Age is nothing but a number . Hats off!
Old 28th August 2013, 12:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to you sir. I own a 2010 Ninja 250R too but absolutely despise riding it in difficult terrain.

I am impressed by your passion and determination. Riding a sportsbike in such terrain is very uncomfortable and takes a big toll on the bike and the rider too.

Best to carry enough spares and parts for the trip.

Enjoyed reading your trip log. That was quite an impressive trip - in terms of distance and the points of interest covered. Thanks for sharing.
Old 28th August 2013, 12:25   #25
BHPian

Guys like you sometimes make me wonder, why am I leading such a boring life.
You guys inspire me to atleast start planning for such a long drives.
I am not a biker, but atleast i want to do something like this in my car.
Old 28th August 2013, 13:37   #26
BHPian

One should have lot of guts to do a life time trip like this. You have proved age is no factor for living our dreams. You truly live to drive. You are an inspiration to lot of youngsters like me. I too have a dream of driving in highest motor-able road in the world (Of course not in bike). You should took lot of time convincing your family.

Very well written sir. Crisp and to the point. Hats off to you.
Old 28th August 2013, 18:25   #27
BHPian

Hello Sir,

Let me congratulate you first for this wonderful , Adventurous Trip.

I too am planning to ride to Leh and have recently acquired a TBTS 500 which was the first step in my long cherished dream.

Reading through your blog I am convinced that the best way to make this trip count is ride across India and enjoy what our country has to offer.

Can you share what was the driving factor behind you to take this trip and that too on a newly purchased bike.

I hope you are not in the service industry, cannot imagine getting leaves for 31 days :-)
Old 29th August 2013, 09:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hello Sir,

Let me congratulate you first for this wonderful , Adventurous Trip.

I too am planning to ride to Leh and have recently acquired a TBTS 500 which was the first step in my long cherished dream.

Reading through your blog I am convinced that the best way to make this trip count is ride across India and enjoy what our country has to offer.

Can you share what was the driving factor behind you to take this trip and that too on a newly purchased bike.

I hope you are not in the service industry, cannot imagine getting leaves for 31 days :-)

I am a software professional , recently returned from Kuwait after 13 years.

I loved to see entire India and may be it is natural for all those who live away from the country for a long time. Yet another reason is, I had never seen north-india !!! though I have seen foreign countries including USA.

I am also a great devotee and strictly believe (through my own experience) that ancient temples do have tantric power and visiting these places can burn one's own bad Karmas.

All these reasons put together, motivated me to take this journey.

My wife thought that it would be extremely difficult to do this . But I told her that if I could not do I would return after putting the bike in the transport.
My brother thought that I would probably ride up to 100 km ( hundred) and return !!!
My friend ( woman) was very worried and suggested I must go by Safari type of vehicle. Only my daughter in US thought that I could do , and another daughter in Hyderabad thought that it would be frought with danger of being robbed or being left alone without any thing in the middle of nowwhere. She even removed my diamond ring.

But I knew that I could easily do it and I indeed did it. I never had any body pains, or backache etc., and I never suffered any sickness during this journey.

TBTS 500 is what I closely observed in LEH in a bike rental shop. Shop fellow, told me that if TBTS 500 gets a puncture , the wheel has to be removed and put back and when it is put back, brakes do not work properly because, it would not fit back properly and so on. I do not how far it is true.

If you plan to do a long journey like about 9000 km or 10000 km in 30 days , I think you must start doing some exercise if you already have not been doing it as a habit.Weight lifting or soa called "gym" workouts are useless for riders.

I walk 10 km every day and I rarely miss it. Some days I do 20km a day. This had been for many years.
I eat too many fruits, good quantity cow milk and eat very less qauntity of rice or any other food. Do not smoke.
Your lungs must be healthy when you ride up the hills. Heights can kill a sickly person and for smokers it would be just a hell.

A bike , which is light and with tubeless tires would be the best.
venuraja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 10:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuraja View Post
I am a software professional , recently returned from Kuwait after 13 years.

TBTS 500 is what I closely observed in LEH in a bike rental shop. Shop fellow, told me that if TBTS 500 gets a puncture , the wheel has to be removed and put back and when it is put back, brakes do not work properly because, it would not fit back properly and so on. I do not how far it is true.

If you plan to do a long journey like about 9000 km or 10000 km in 30 days , I think you must start doing some exercise if you already have not been doing it as a habit.Weight lifting or soa called "gym" workouts are useless for riders.
Hello Sir,

Thanks for the reply, and again a very thoughtful insight from you.

A Royal Enfield was always on my radar right from my college days, it was a dream bike for me and that it could do long journeys while the rider being comfortable was another factor for me to choose it, I will be putting up my ownership thread soon.

In regards to your observation about the puncture on the TBTS , yes the new ones have some level of difficulty due to the new disk brakes but nothing that some tweaking cannot fix.

I am in the process of starting some exercises, I used to earlier but have not since the past 1 year , so this will the first step towards my goal of a long trip.

Also I believe that if you are self motivated and willing to take some risks you can achieve many a things as you have sir.

only one word comes to the mind currently for your efforts and this blog "RESPECT"
Old 29th August 2013, 14:42   #30

Hope you had an amazing experience..Nice share Raja

Did u face any problems like..clutch wire or brake pads worn out..etc,..

And the tyre's are tubeless right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks