Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2013, 19:30   #16

Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Autobahn

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
What upsets me the most is that, in India we do have a few roads that can offer Autobahn like abilities, but they are not open to high speed driving. The Agra expressway is an example. The road is perfect, it is wide, it is elevated and fenced, it is straight, but it is also legally limited to a 100 Kmh.
Also on the unfenced stretches with near perfect road conditions you cannot afford to relax even the slightest bit as you will soon get a wakeup call in the form of a tractor or a cycle coming your way on the fastest lane.
Old 29th August 2013, 19:49   #17
BHPian

Incognito, nice writeup. Brought back my memories of a drive on Autobahn, though I was unfortunate not to drive. I was driven by a Frenchman from Donauworth to Munich. We were constantly at 175Kmph and still German cars were zipping past. The Frenchman said he cannot match the speeds of the German, he said they call these cars on autobahn as German missiles
Its an amazing experience, I agree. Next time though, I would like to drive myself.
Old 29th August 2013, 20:58   #18
BHPian

Well, that is true. I believe stricter norms and better planned roads can help avoid such situations. Till then, we guys need to be more cautious. The truth remains, that hundreds and thousands of deaths take place every year on our roads. Accidents that could easily have been avoided. Stricting the licensing process and imposing heavier fines will definitely help save our precious lives. People in the rural or even the cities seem fearless when they cross the streets with their whole families. Or be it a whole family travelling on a decade old scooter while throwing a huge trail of smoke from its tailpipe.
Old 30th August 2013, 12:52   #19
BHPian

Hi Incognito! Nice writeup and good amount of information on the Autobahn. Adding to what you mentioned, if we talk about Highways in Europe, the rules generally are the same throughout except for a few give and takes here and there. As mentioned in my thread on my Europe roadtrip last year, you seldom realize that you are in a different country, if not for that lone board announcing the border. But by far, Autobahns offer the best high speed driving experience in the world.
vinayrathore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 20:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Hi Spike, Could help but notice the similarity between the "NO SPEED LIMIT" sign & your avatar.
Yes, you are right.

One more thing worth mentioning, I have noticed, the commuters here in Germany follow lane discipline very well. A lot of accidents in Autobahn are avoided due to this reason. I have not driven in other parts of Europe so I don't know how it is elsewhere.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 30th August 2013 at 21:09.
Old 31st August 2013, 08:37   #21
BHPian

If you are still around in Essen we could catch up
Old 31st August 2013, 14:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
As mentioned in my thread on my Europe roadtrip last year, you seldom realize that you are in a different country, if not for that lone board announcing the border. But by far, Autobahns offer the best high speed driving experience in the world.
Thanks. Read your travelogues. Loved them especially the ones on Europe and Raid de Himalaya. The pictures were stunning. Look forward to read / see more from you.
Old 1st September 2013, 08:12   #23

Nice write-up Tamoghno. Reminds me of the 85 mph road in the US between San Antonio and Austin known as Pickle Parkway. Was driving there last November in a Chrysler 300.
Attached Thumbnails
The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Autobahn-pickle-pkwy-sl.jpg  

sjchanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2013, 22:45   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchanda View Post
Nice write-up Tamoghno. Reminds me of the 85 mph road in the US between San Antonio and Austin known as Pickle Parkway. Was driving there last November in a Chrysler 300.
Thanks and congrats on your maiden post. Why not put up some snaps of the Chrysler 300 as well ...
Old 2nd September 2013, 19:22   #25
BHPian

Superb write-up, and a very beautiful place. nice to read about the autobahns of Germany, best roads in the world to drive these beauties at high speed.
Old 2nd September 2013, 19:38   #26
BHPian

Fantastic write-up bud. I tried my hand on a jeep and audi when I was there. But I found the German signboards too difficult to decode.

I visit Nuremburg due to work. May be someday we all can have a meet in Germany

Best,
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheG2 View Post
But I found the German signboards too difficult to decode.
I think, the problem is not they are difficult to decode, the real problem is they are just too many. The average driving speeds in these parts are higher compared to India, hence when you encounter so many signs in very short intervals, the processor slows down a bit. One needs to get used.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:47   #28
BHPian

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...rom_going.html

If what's in the article will actually be implemented, it will be cold water on the dreams of us auto bahn enthusiasts! :-(

I quote:

Cars That Can't Speed? Why Europeans Might Never Get Another Speeding Ticket.

If you’re a driver in France, or Germany, soon you may not have to worry about getting a speeding ticket ever again. On the other hand, you also may never be on time again. That’s because the European Union is looking to introduce a new law requiring cars to come fitted with technology that would keep drivers from going over the speed limit.

Under the proposal, new cars would come complete with cameras that could read roadside speed limit signs and automatically apply the breaks when a driver goes over the speed limit. Alternatively, the new tech-savvy automobiles can simply have the speed limit beamed directly to the moving car via satellite. In the U.K, for example, that would mean cars could not go more than 70 miles-per-hour.

Europe’s transportation authority wants to install the intelligent speed technology in an effort to cut traffic fatalities by one-third by 2020. More than 30,000 people die, and 1.5 million are injured, on E.U. roads every year, according to the Guardian.
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:52   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...rom_going.html

If what's in the article will actually be implemented, it will be cold water on the dreams of us auto bahn enthusiasts! :-(
With this kind of technology, seems like the driver will soon be reduced to the status of glorified passenger in the front seat ...
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
With this kind of technology, seems like the driver will soon be reduced to the status of glorified passenger in the front seat ...
Yes, I definitely hope that won't happen, it'll be such a kill joy!

On the flip side, if it happens (in Europe), Europeans may go to other parts of the world for the joys of driving!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks