Team-BHP - Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/141006-bangalore-goa-bangalore-ertiga.html)

Done Bangalore-Goa-Bangalore on 15-Aug and 18-aug in my Ertiga ZDI. Took the route Bangalore(AECS Layout)-Hebbal-Tumkur- Chitraurga-Hubli(Dharwad Bypass)-Alnavar-Ramnagar-Anmod Ghats-Ponda bypass-Old Goa-Panaji-Candolim for the onward journey and Candolim-Panaji-Margao-Karwar-Ankola-Kumta-Honavar-Jog Falls-Sagara-Shimoga-Arsikere-Tumkur-Bangalore. Some details are provided. Hope it helps :)

Onward Journey
Start time: 7.05 AM from AECS Layout
End time: 5.45 PM at Old Goa
Map: http://goo.gl/maps/rIT84
Bangalore(AECS Layout) to Tumkur -The roads are good throughout. As it was the starting day of a long weekend, the roads were filled with cars/bikes who were moving out of Bangalore. Took around 1 hour to reach Yeswanthpur through ORR-Mekhri Circle-CV Raman Road. The traffic got reduced after crossing Nelamangala. Stopped for breakfast(8.30 AM) in Sri Kamadhenu Veg. before Dabaspete. It was crowded as 2-3 long route KSRTC buses stopped there. After the buses left, it was normal. The food was decent and affordable. Left from there around 9. After the Tumkur toll gate the drive became more smooth because of less traffic and 6-line roads. I wish I should have started around 5 AM to avoid the weekend rush, but the bus(from Chennai) in which my sister and BIL came, reached Madiwala by 6 AM only.

Sri Kamadhenu restaurant just before Dabaspete
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc07604.jpg

Tumkur to Chitradurga - Excellent roads. The 6-line work is almost completed and only one diversion is there. We were able to cover this 130 kms in 90 minutes doing a sedate 100 -110 KMPH. Reached Chitradurga around 10.45 AM.

Excellent NH4
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc07616.jpg

Some work in Progress sections
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc07638.jpg

Chitradurga to Hubli-Excellent roads. The 6-line roads stops at Chitradurga and 4-line starts from there. Traffic was very less. Reached the Kamat Upachaar before Hubli (Tirumalakoppa) at around 1 PM. Spent around 30-40 minutes there to have lunch. Covered this 190 kms in 130 minutes with one small break near the Bankapur toll booth.

This got my attention, captured at Bankapur toll booth
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc07659.jpg

Excellent roads near Bankapur
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc07664.jpg

We breaks law even on an independence day
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc07675.jpg

Rains started as we approach Hubli
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc07677.jpg

Biking in Rain will be fun
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc07683.jpg

Hubli to Dharwad bypass -
This is a wonderful 2-line road with less traffic. Reached Hubli bypass toll booth around 2 PM. Took the toll for Alnavar exit from the Hubli bypass. Reached the Alnavar exit around 2.20 PM.

Dharwad Bypass to Ramnagar - The road is recently re-laid and the work is 80 % completed. There are some uncompleted sections near the railway crossings near Mugad railway station. The completed sections are really nice and the surroundings were really scenic. The forest section was really wonderful with good tarmac and complete greenery. Reached Ramnagar by 3.30 pm.
Caution: there are no petrol pumps on this route (There is one in the Alnavar town for which you need to take a deviation) till you reach Mollem which is around 100 kms from the Dharwad bypass. We missed filling from Dharwad and were forced to use 3 liters from the reserve. The reserve light came just after crossing Ramnagar and on enquir, got to know the next Fuel station is around 45 kms ahead. Reached the fuel without any hiccups with 5-6 liters diesel remaining in the tank.

The bad patched near railway crossings
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc07696.jpg

One of them
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc07699.jpg

Beautiful roads
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc07710.jpg

Forest section
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc07719.jpg

Ramnagar to Mollem-The roads are bit patchy in some sections. The traffic was less. Rest of the sections is good. There are 2-3 really bad sections with big potholes as you near the Anmod junction. The Anmod ghat section is in good condition. The view from the ghats were awesome. The roads condition improves as you enter Goa. In Mollem we paid Goa entry pass for 250 rs. If you are planning to leave Goa in 4 hours, this fee is not applicable and will be refunded while exiting the toll gate. Reached Mollem at 4.35 PM.

The roads after Ramnagar, NH4A
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc07750.jpg

Some excellent sections also
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc07761.jpg

Anmod Ghats
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc07767.jpg

Mollem to Ponda -
The roads are excellent with less traffic. The traffic increases as you approach Ponda. Took the Ponda bypass to reach the Panaji road. Reached Ponda bypass at 5.10 PM.
Ponda to Old Goa - Roads are good. The traffic was on a higher side. Reached Old Goa at 5.40 PM. We did not visit the churches this time, instead found a restaurant and had coffee/snacks.

Old Goa to Candolim - Took the NH4A bypass to reach Panaji. Took theVeram route to reach Reis Magos fort. Stopped there for seeing the sunset and reached the destination in Candolim at 6.45 PM.

Return Journey
Start time: 6.30 AM from Candolim
End time: 9.00 PM at HSR Layout
Map: http://goo.gl/maps/NhcjV
Candolim to Margao - The roads are excellent. Traffic was very less as we started around 6.30 AM. It was raining continuously. Reached Margao at 7.20 AM.

Margao to Karwar - The roads are all good with moderate traffic. Not much checking in the KA check post. Checked the boot by touching all the bags and let us go in 2-3 minutes. Stopped at Udupi restaurant in Karwar bypass for breakfast. Reached this place at 8.45 AM.

Excellent roads between Margao and Karwar
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc08210.jpg

Roads are good as you enter Karnataka
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc08224.jpg

Kali river brige
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc08241.jpg

Karwar to Honavar - Good roads with moderate traffic. The views are awesome in Karwar-Ankola route. Reached the intersection at Honaver to turn towards Jog at 10.45 AM.

Between Ankola and turn-off towards Gokarana
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc08245.jpg

Lucky to be at the right place at the right time
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc08261.jpg

It was awesome
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc08265.jpg

This guard is lucky
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc08267.jpg

Honavar to Jog Falls - I was expecting bad/broken roads, but for my surprise the surface was really nice. The road is narrower in the ghat sections, other than that no complaints at all. It was very nice to see thick fog as we approach the ghats near Jog falls. The traffic also increased near Jog falls. Reached Jog falls at 12.10 PM. It was crowded, misty and drizzling. The falls were not visible for first 15 minutes. It rained heavily after that which cleared the mist and gave us magnifying Jog falls at full flow. We spent around 30 minutes there. Stopped near the river bridge and started from there at 12.45 PM.

Foggy roads around Jog falls
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc08292.jpg

Full Flowing Jog. We are at the Jog falls in the best season clap:
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc08316.jpg

Another shot
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc08321.jpg

The view from the bridge
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc08341.jpg

Other side
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc08344.jpg

The bridge
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc08376.jpg

Jog falls to Sagara - Good roads with moderate traffic. Reached Sagara around 1.50 PM. Stopped for lunch in a Veg hotel near the New private bus stand. Thali meals was nice and cheap. Started from there at 2.10 PM.

Sagara to Shimoga -
Excellent 2-line roads all the way. The traffic was on a higher side in Shimoga town. Reached Shimoga at 2.50 PM.

Excellent roads between Sagara and Shimoga
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc08446.jpg

Shimoga to Arsikere - Excellent 2-line continues. There are some bad patches near Tarikere. Traffic was moderate. Stopped at the CCD before Arsikere for around 20-30 minutes. Reached Arsikere at 5.05 PM.

Excellent roads between Shimoga and Arsikere
Bangalore -> Goa -> Bangalore in an Ertiga-dsc08497.jpg

Arsikere to Tumkur bypass - Excellent 2-line continues. The traffic increased after crossing Tiptur. The Tumkur bypass has lot of bad patches. Reached the tumkur toll in NH 4 at 6.40 PM.

Tumkur to Yeswanthpur - Traffic was really heavy after. People were driving so crazy to reach their homes after the long weekend. It took 30 minutes to cross the Nelamangala elevated toll. Reached in front of Yeswanthpur railway station 8.00 PM. Dropped my cousin there who then boarded a train to Ernakulam which left there by 9.00 PM.

Yeswanthpur to HSR Layout - The ORR traffic was normal. Lost some time in Nagwara junction. Even the tin factory was relatively empty. Reached HSR layout at 9.10 PM. Had dinner from there and dropped sister and BIL at Madiwala for boarding a bus scheduled to depart by 10.30 PM. Reached back AECS Layout at 11.00 PM.

The GPS logs can be seen below:
Bangalore Goa -https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B25K...it?usp=sharing
Goa Jog -https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B25K...it?usp=sharing
Sagara Bangalore - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B25K...it?usp=sharing

Quote:

Originally Posted by denver85 (Post 3218842)
Done Bangalore-Goa-Bangalore on 15-Aug and 18-aug in my Ertiga ZDI.

What a fantastic post. Beautiful pictures as well. Thanks for taking the time to post such a useful and enjoyable one.

Super post, Denver! Thanks for sharing. Moved your post out into its own independent thread.

I was about to suggest the same. Now you have your own time to add the bits and pieces of details, which it make it even more fun to read.
Bangalore-Hubli-Belgaum is a beautiful section to drive. Esp the way the texture of vegetation changes along the drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3224028)
Super post, Denver! Thanks for sharing. Moved your post out into its own independent thread.

Thank you so much :D
I will attach more details to improve this thread.

Just one question in my mind : Did you see anything in Goa or just returned back, because we do not see even a single line on what you did in Goa.

Jokes apart, thanks for the very detailed road trip feedback.

So does this mean we do not need to go via Hubli-ankola-karwar-goa anymore ? That stretch is good but slightly longer than going straight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajshenoy (Post 3225392)
Just one question in my mind : Did you see anything in Goa or just returned back, because we do not see even a single line on what you did in Goa.

Jokes apart, thanks for the very detailed road trip feedback.

So does this mean we do not need to go via Hubli-ankola-karwar-goa anymore ? That stretch is good but slightly longer than going straight.

Actually, I have added this post in the Bangalore-Goa-Bangalore route details thread. That's the reason why it has only road conditions/route updates. Admin has created a thread out of that. I need to add more details to it now. The Mollem route was not bad at all. There were some bad patches here and there which were manageable. The traffic is also really less in this route. If your destination is South Goa, Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar route also will be a good option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by denver85 (Post 3225498)
Actually, I have added this post in the Bangalore-Goa-Bangalore route details thread. That's the reason why it has only road conditions/route updates. Admin has created a thread out of that. I need to add more details to it now. The Mollem route was not bad at all. There were some bad patches here and there which were manageable. The traffic is also really less in this route. If your destination is South Goa, Hubli-Yellapur-Karwar route also will be a good option.

I travel to Ponda and the route you have taken is the shortest I feel. Going via Ankola is longer but the roads are great. which is why i wanted to cross check if i can indeed take same route as you to reach ponda(I drive an Ertiga too, ground clearance is pretty good for bad roads)

The train pictures, show a Ro - Ro (Roll on - Roll off) service operated on the Konkan Railway. This service allows the truckers to park their trucks on the train and the train transports these trucks to a point from where they can complete their onwards journey. Saves a lot of fuel, i suppose

Nice writeup! There are two bumps somewhere between Davengere and hubli, which is rather dark in color and easy to miss especially if one is travelling at high speeds.

Did you take a pic of that? It would serve as a warning to others who may wish to travel on this road. clap:

Denver,
The Jog picture was scintillating. Rarely, you get to watch this kind of a scene.
Those "Trucks on Train" pictures too funny.
Overall, I am sure you had a nice trip.

Lovely travelogue Denver and nice pics to go with it, thanks for sharing ! Do upload a few pictures of Goa as well ! Although I visit Goa once every year, the last time I drove down was way back in 2006, prefer to take the train as I have a friend's car for my local use in Goa.

Ahh! Goa, thanks for bringing up this beautiful chill place. Have visited Goa 3 times and in all 3 different routes, so now you have added a 4th one NH4A which was being avoided due to potholes sometime back.

A little detail on the stay as well would be welcome.

[quote=denver85;3218842]Done Bangalore-Goa-Bangalore on 15-Aug

Thanks Denver for your wonderful travelogue with awesome pictures. By the way I am visiting South Goa {Ponda} on 17th of Oct 2013 with my family in my Hyundai i10 From Bangalore earlier I used to travel via Hubli Ankola Karwar Margao though it is a longer route because of good roads I preferred this route Now after reading your thread I am of the opinion to use the route from Dharwar via Ramnagar Mollem Ponda I need your guidance on the following;
1. Total distance from Dharwar Bye Pass to Pnda
2. Detailed place wise names so that I don't take a wrong route
3. Validity of Goa entry permit
4. Quality of roads all through
5. Road condition on the Anmod Ghat

If you suggest the above route { because you have recently travelled } I will be saving around 100+kms and also can reach Goa pretty early and also I will be saving on fuel and time

Quote:

Originally Posted by kannan666 (Post 3249028)
Lovely travelogue Denver and nice pics to go with it, thanks for sharing ! Do upload a few pictures of Goa as well ! Although I visit Goa once every year, the last time I drove down was way back in 2006, prefer to take the train as I have a friend's car for my local use in Goa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 3249858)
Ahh! Goa, thanks for bringing up this beautiful chill place. Have visited Goa 3 times and in all 3 different routes, so now you have added a 4th one NH4A which was being avoided due to potholes sometime back.

A little detail on the stay as well would be welcome.

Thanks you :).
I have added this as a route update in the Bangalore-Goa-Bangalore thread in Route/Travel queries. Mods has created a separated thread out of that. I am not getting time to upload details about my Goa days :Frustrati
Definitely add the details when I gets time.