Team-BHP - Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/141377-barera-s-travelogue-relaxing-north-god-s-own-country-wayanad.html)

Many a times we land in a fine resort, spend most of the time outside the resort and return to resort only at night. Most importantly we miss out the opportunity to spend quality time with family and ofcourse the resort facilities/offerings.

This time we decided to unwind in a cool resort instead of exploring and clicking too much. Finalized the place to Wayanad and resort Green Gates. Took the package of 3 nights & 4 days. The resort is about ~290kms from Bangalore.

Route Chosen: Bangalore-> Mysore (140kms) -> Nanjangud (25 kms) -> Gundlupet -> (38 kms) Sultan Bathery -> (58 kms) Kalpetta
(25 Kms). Kalpetta is where Green Gates is located.

Company: Suzuki Baleno, wify and kids.

Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00155.jpg

Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00157.jpg

We started from Bannerghatta road at 4:00pm, entered Mysore road via NICE road. The NICE road sets the mood for long drives. You get a good feel in the beginning of the trip by revving free on the empty and pothole free NICE road.

Gave a first halt at Kamat Upchar for some snacks, it is around 60 kms from Bangalore. Kids had their grub in neighbouring McDonald’s and continued our journey towards Mysore.

Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00150.jpg

As planned earlier, we stayed at one of our relative’s home in Mysore. Their home is very close to Ooty road. Got up early next morning and hit the Ooty road towards Nanjanagud at 7am. We had breakfast at Gundlupet in one of the decent looking hotels. There are no good hotels in Nanjanagud or Gundlupet. Gundlupet is the junction where roads split towards Bandipur(Ooty - hwy 66) and Wayanad (Kozhikode - hwy 212). We took the right turn towards Wayanad, within 20 kms of travel Western Ghat Range (Berambadi state forest) welcomes you. From then on it’s a different world till the resort. Wild Elephants and Deer are a common scene. We have to drive carefully not to encounter the danger or causing harm to animals. Though under speed limits, I enjoyed the drive most in this stretch for about 60-70 kms. You feel you are literally going thru the jungle safari on your own!

Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00160.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00161.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00162.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00164.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00165.jpg

We couldn’t resist a visit to Edakkal Caves on the way and it was worth the visit. It is not advisable for small kids as we have to go thru rocky region to view the caves. We made it, but we were too tired carrying kids in some stretches and on few ladders. All tiredness had gone after reaching the top.

The caves are located at a height of 1000 mtrs. Kids were very thirsty and we didn’t take water as we didn’t plan to go all the way up, but just got carried away with the crowd. Please carry water without fail, we had to inconvenience others. Climbing down was another adventure, which you will cherish for many years. We were surprised to learn we did a good 1 km trekking. The New Stone Age pictorial writings on the walls are evidence of the prehistoric civilisation that existed in these regions. Morning hours are the best time to visit the caves.

Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00167.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00168.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00170.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00171.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00173.jpg
Attachment 1135840
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00182.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00184.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00189.jpg

We didn’t want any more stops, so came directly to Green Gates. No trouble in finding the address, it’s a nice place located inside Kalpetta town. Hotel staff was very friendly and co-operative. I have been to Kerala many times, I feel it is the most entertaining state, with resort/hotel staff very well trained to take care of the guests. I haven’t seen such professionalism in other states I visited. Got into our AC cottage at first floor, right in front of swimming pool. We had buffet lunch, took some rest and got into the pool by evening. They have some indoor games, kids play area and a gym as well.

It started drizzling so we came back to room and ordered coffee to room service. Got freshen up, it was raining so heavily that we couldn’t see the pool from cottage balcony. We thought Coffee would never some in such a rain. To our surprise room boy came with hot coffee pot and onion pakoda. What more do you need on such occasion? We enjoyed the rain lashing from balcony with having refreshments. Got the good filling dinner also served to the room.

Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00192.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00193.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00193_3.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00194.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00196.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00198.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00198_1.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00200.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00201.jpg

Next full day we stayed at the resort playing in pool, eating and sleeping. Food was decent, but hospitality was wonderful. III day we went out for a short drive to see nearby places. Visited Pookot Lake, Lakkidi View and Chain Tree.

Pookot Lake is a natural fresh water lake, surrounded with evergreen rain forest. Boating facilities, a children's park, a handicrafts and spices emporium, green house and a fresh water aquarium are among the attractions here.

Lakkidi View is one of the highest locations in Wayanad. It is at an elevation of 700 meters above sea level. As the name suggests, it is a great place to watch sun rise & sun set & on a clear sunny day, the view is mesmerizing. We ate pinaple, guava there and retuned.

Chain tree is on the way back to resort. It is a big banyan tree with lot of chains woven around it. There is a very popular myth for chains being woven around the tree. Nothing exciting about this, can be seen from the car itself.

Took only half day to see them and returned to hotel by noon. There were few other places like Soochipara Water Falls, Mathunga Wildlife Sanctuary, Kuruwa Dweep, Chembra Peak, Meenmutty Falls, Banasurasagar Dam etc we planned to visit next time.

Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00300.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00302.jpg

Last day, we started from resort after having breakfast. We bought tea powder, cane items (roti bowls etc), spices in a shop on the way. We saw elephants while returning also. We were little late for prasadam at Nanjangud temple. However, we visited the temple, had lunch outside and reached Bangalore at night with a usual stop at Kamat Lokaruchi for coffee.

We visited many places after this trip, but my kids remember Wayanad most because of the time we spent together. They played there with no limitations, no hurry, no pack ups, no queues, basically no end for their joy. They allowed to play as long as they wanted with we watching them.

Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00304.jpg
Barera’s Travelogue: Relaxing at north of God’s Own Country, Wayanad-dsc00305.jpg

This was my last trip with beloved Baleno.

Here is the website of the Green Gates Hotel: http://greengateshotel.com/

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummer (Post 3231813)
This was my last trip with beloved Baleno.
http://greengateshotel.com/

Nice log. Its always the last drive which we remember. Is the Baleno gone? If yes whats replaced? Baleno was truly one of the first sporty sedans to be in the Indian market.

Thanks for sharing the travelogue, Wayannad is one of the most beautiful places in Kerala to visit, another remains Palakkad and Idukki. I would suggest you Palakkad and Idukki if you haven't been there.

The Elephants look very weak and malnutritioned in those snaps . :p Is it some sanctuary ?

Drive safe.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3231995)
Nice log. Its always the last drive which we remember. Is the Baleno gone? If yes whats replaced? Baleno was truly one of the first sporty sedans to be in the Indian market.

Thanks ampere. Sold my Baleno to good hands. Diesel Verna replaced it in my garage, but not in the heart. I still miss Baleno for its sportyness and drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyageur (Post 3232005)
Thanks for sharing the travelogue, Wayannad is one of the most beautiful places in Kerala to visit, another remains Palakkad and Idukki. I would suggest you Palakkad and Idukki if you haven't been there.

The Elephants look very weak and malnutritioned in those snaps . :p Is it some sanctuary ?

Drive safe.

Cheers.

Thanks voyageur, I agree, Kerala is full of beautiful places. I have been to Munnar, Wayanad, Sabarimalai (thoroughly enjoyed scenic beauty all the way till Swamy Ayyappa temple at the top). Would surely consider Palakkad and Idukki.

We saw these elephants road side after a forest gate (towards Gundlipet), may be wild elephants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummer (Post 3232142)

Thanks voyageur, I agree, Kerala is full of beautiful places. I have been to Munnar, Wayanad, Sabarimalai (thoroughly enjoyed scenic beauty all the way till Swamy Ayyappa temple at the top). Would surely consider Palakkad and Idukki.

We saw these elephants road side after a forest gate (towards Gundlipet), may be wild elephants.

To quickly say, I remember places like Malampuzha dam, Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary, Nelliampathy (in Palakkad) and Peeremedu, Thekkady, periyar wildlife sanctury (in Idukki). But there are much more than these. Even I haven't had a chance to go on a perfect trip to these places.:D

Cheers.

I'm planning a trip on the 11th of October morning at 4am.

Google suggests 2 routes:
1. Bangalore-Mysore road + SH 33: Bangalore-Mysore-around Kabini reservoir-Kalpetta
2. NH209 + NH212: Bangalore-Malavalli-Chamarajnagar-Sultan Bathery-Kalpetta

Which route would you recommend? I'd prefer a drive through a scenic route but smooth roads are a definite MUST! :)
I'm also open to alternate routes as long as they comply with my requirements.

P.S.: The last trip through Bandipur nearly broke my poor Octavia

Nice travelogue Hummer with good pictures to go with it. I wanted to stay at Green Gates during my last visit to Wayanad but they were full up. Thanks for sharing !