Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2013, 21:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Man you are the true driver. Hope your wife too know driving and helping you in the Marathon Drive.
I too planned the same for past 5 years. Never it's materialized.
Just myself & Wife start planning it again.
Hope this time we will
aks_karthik is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 21:28   #17
BHPian

Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh-Ladakh: Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc
I dedicate this trip to all the martyrs of the Kargil War who sacrificed their life for our country and for our well-being. Jai Hind.
Actually running out of words. One word: RESPECT!

Rekindles the fire underneath. Would love to do Leh in this life time itself.

Kudos to you Sir.

Rated well deserved 5 stars

[b]Note from Support: Quote fixed.
sri2012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 23:17   #18
BHPian

Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh-Ladakh: Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Excellent travelogue but sad that you finished such a long trip so quickly. Very well written and kudos to you for driving all along and your wife for being such a sport on such a strenuous trip.
kaka46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 00:06   #19

R.E.S.P.E.C.T!! This gets a bump on my bucket list
ferrarifreako is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 02:53   #20
BHPian

Congrats on covering the length of India.

Having visited Jammu and Kashmir as a tourist, travelled by flights all along, a drive to Leh Ladakh is part of my bucket list too. Hopefully someday!

Excellent narration and very nice pictures to go with. I am sure it must be a task choosing which pictures to post and which ones to leave out. It is not without reason that they call it heaven on earth.

The only part I am worried about during such long drive is the effect on my left knee and back. Any tips on how to get around these?
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 04:54   #21
BHPian

WOW!!!! Beautiful Sathya...what a trip, amazing pics and a wonderful write up...cannot wait to hear from you about the trip.
ranjithpd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 07:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

I was looking forward for this travelogue since I heard about your plans in another LEH-LADAKH thread. Had a very good time, reading it in one shot, and thanks for presenting it beautifully. Well deserved * * * * *
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 08:32   #23
BHPian

I wonder when they stopped Photography at Hanle. I was there in June 2012 and we stayed at the Observatory and even drove up to Photi La.Took tons of Photos and even though the local IB section did come to check our docs, they were very polite and friendly and never even once did the talk of Photography ban come up. As far as the Observatory is concerned, It has its own website where there are at least 5 photos of Hanle. Wonder when and IF at all a new ban has come into effect.
Attached Thumbnails
The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-dscn2352.jpg  

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-dscn2358.jpg  

Yamahead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 08:58   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

There might be atleast 100 TBHP travelogues on ladakh and everytime a new one comes up it's exciting and the photos in each one of the travelogue makes you say "WOW!!"

Congratulations Sathya_sc for completing this circuit.

The title of the movie "chennai express" and its song "kashmir tu, main kanyakumari..." suits your travelogue more than that crappy 3rd class movie

Your photo besides the pangong tso with a red shirt looks like that of a hero's photo straight out of a movie banner

Once again congratulations and thanks for sharing.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 09:39   #25
BHPian

Awesome trip, man. You, your better half and the hawk really lived the dream of every BHPian. Please post more pics, especially of all the high passes you crossed.
I always wanted to make my way up there but the distance from Assam kept bothering me. But no more excuses now. Your trip from so far down south has inspired me.
pyrodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 10:23   #26
Team-BHP Support

A very nice log where one can read about the experience in one go. Most BHPians seem to do marathon drives, crossing at least two states in one go.

What bothers me is, the GC of the XUV. Buy a Storme in that budget and you don't get that freight train experience.

Thanks again for sharing 5 *****
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 10:32   #27
BHPian

Great post Sathya. Read it in one go.
Appreciate your better half for the great support.

I had plans couple of years back which was put in the back burner. Time to revisit the plan. You are an inspiration ( first the TJet, then the XUV and now the marathon drive....)

You are absolutely great. Hats off.

Last edited by bnzjon : 14th September 2013 at 10:35.
bnzjon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 15:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark_rover View Post
Wow! Mind-blowing travelogue and amazing pictures, actually I am running out of superlatives to describe the thrill and joy I experienced while reading your post.

Many Thanks! You are a true inspiration!
Thanks Ark_rover. More pictures on the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post

Wasn't this seeded at Kothagiri at the twin tree resorts?
Thanks Ramesh. Yes indeed.. Kothagiri was the first trigger.. Kodai was when we discussed this in length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Bad that one can't take photos at Hanle!

What FE did the Hawk return?
Yes, HVK. The checkpost clearly said that we were not allowed to take any cameras.

The Hawk returned 12.4km/lt for the entire round trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
We must organize a meet-up in Chennai to share your experiences personally.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Ddrive. We can meet in Chennai and I can share my exp. in further detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I too planned the same for past 5 years. Never it's materialized.
Just myself & Wife start planning it again.
Hope this time we will
My only suggestion is - Dont plan too much. Start the car, fill it, load it and go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri2012 View Post
Actually running out of words. One word: RESPECT!

Rekindles the fire underneath. Would love to do Leh in this life time itself.
Thanks Sri.. Believe me, it is an "out of the world" experience. So, plan, pack your bags and start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post

Excellent narration and very nice pictures to go with. I am sure it must be a task choosing which pictures to post and which ones to leave out. It is not without reason that they call it heaven on earth.

The only part I am worried about during such long drive is the effect on my left knee and back. Any tips on how to get around these?
Thanks Miharbe. Yes.. indeed, difficult to choose pictures from a 16gb dump. Yes, it does hurt the knees and back, sometimes. But take the trip a little easy.. may be, restrict to 700-800kms per day and you must be ok. Avoid marathons..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithpd View Post
WOW!!!! Beautiful Sathya...what a trip, amazing pics and a wonderful write up...cannot wait to hear from you about the trip.
Sure Ranjith. When you are back, we can start planning for one more trip - the North east. Thats in my radar now. May be in 2 yrs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I was looking forward for this travelogue since I heard about your plans in another LEH-LADAKH thread. Had a very good time, reading it in one shot, and thanks for presenting it beautifully. Well deserved * * * * *
Thanks Surprise. The narration was straight from my heart..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahead View Post
I wonder when they stopped Photography at Hanle. Wonder when and IF at all a new ban has come into effect.
Not sure. But, when I went, the Border police, clearly asked us not to take any cameras inside and not to click. Also, they went to the extent of peeping inside the car to see if we had any cameras..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The title of the movie "chennai express" and its song "kashmir tu, main kanyakumari..." suits your travelogue more than that crappy 3rd class movie
Thanks Hemanth.. What about "Chennai to Chang La"?? The Title Chennai Express is very apt too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
I always wanted to make my way up there but the distance from Assam kept bothering me. But no more excuses now. Your trip from so far down south has inspired me.
Thanks Pyrodrive.. My next target is your place only. Lets see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What bothers me is, the GC of the XUV. Buy a Storme in that budget and you don't get that freight train experience.

Thanks again for sharing 5 *****
GC is OK, could have been better in the front (nose part) especially. Power in XUV is something to experience and thats why I called it a frieght train.. Pulls like a locomotive. Its addictive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
I had plans couple of years back which was put in the back burner. Time to revisit the plan. You are an inspiration ( first the TJet, then the XUV and now the marathon drive....).
Thanks Binze. Time for you to pack your bags and venture out! We can catch up sometime.

And for those who asked for more pictures.. here you go -

Enroute to K Top..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-1.jpg

Enroute to Turtuk..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-2.jpg

Enroute to Chang La

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-3.jpg

Enroute to Chang La

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-4.jpg

Enroute to K Top

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-5.jpg

Nameeka La..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-6.jpg

Self at Nameeka La..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-7.jpg

Lamayuru to Leh..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-8.jpg

Lamayuru to Leh..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-9.jpg

At Fotu La..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-10.jpg

At Tso Kiagar..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-11.jpg

At Hunder..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-12.jpg

At TSO Moriri..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-13.jpg

At Pangong..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-14.jpg

Enroute to Zojila..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-15.jpg

Enroute to Turtuk..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-16.jpg

At Zojila..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-17.jpg

Near Turtuk..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-18.jpg

Near Nameeka La..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-19.jpg

At Sonamarg..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-20.jpg

Enroute to Tsaga..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-21.jpg

Enroute to Turtuk..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-22.jpg

Enroute to Turtuk..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-23.jpg

Enroute to Turtuk..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-24.jpg

At Pangong..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-25.jpg

At Pangong..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-26.jpg

At Maan Merak..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-27.jpg

At Maan Merak..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-28.jpg

The three of us at Morey Plains..

The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri-29.jpg
Sathya_sc is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 15:53   #29
BHPian

Congratulations for completing your dream journey. Beautiful pics. Have you not felt very tired of driving in any part of the journey other than the routes you mentioned? I salute both of you for undertaking such a long, tiresome journey.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 17:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Sathya for making your dream come true.
Thanks for sharing all the information and the fabulous pictures.
Really enjoyed reading the TL and finished the whole story at one go.

Thanks once again.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks