Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2013, 17:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh-Ladakh: Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Awesome T-log Sathya!

To be honest, I usually just skim thru' the pics whenever I come across a T-log.

But your magic has worked this time... I did not miss even a single word of the T-log. Infact your meticulous narration has made it even more interesting! You have taken us on a virtual road trip to the Himalayas!

Really happy to note the exceeding high reliability levels of the XUV5OO. Glad that it has taken all the abuse aplomb!

Two things that I missed reading in the report:

1. Mode of communication on the Hills (Mobile/ Satellite phones etc)
2. Availability of fuel in the hill top in sub zero temp.

Would be great to have your inputs on this!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 14th September 2013 at 17:43.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 18:08   #32
BHPian

Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh-Ladakh: Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Hi Sathya.. Excellent Travelogue. And owning an XUV myself, it was an absolute delight to hear how well your Hawk performed in those conditions.

Just wondering, did you check up on your front strut assemblies after the trip? Any issues/complaints? Any damages to the tyres? Also with regards to starting the Hawk in low temperatures, did you encounter any troubles?

I am planning a trip to Ladakh in my XUV at some point. So these things would help a lot! Cheers & keep enjoying your Hawk to the max!
Columbus_500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 18:36   #33
BHPian

Enjoyed reading the Travelogue. Some stunning pictures of the hawk and yourself including your beautiful narration - Can't ask more.

Most people keep planning for Leh, but you dreamed it, planned it and executed it.
teky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 19:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Congratulations for completing your dream journey. Beautiful pics. Have you not felt very tired of driving in any part of the journey other than the routes you mentioned? I salute both of you for undertaking such a long, tiresome journey.
Thanks JoseVijay. Only those three sections (Tumkur - Mumbai, Manali - Delhi and Tso Moriri - Keylong) made us feel tired - mainly because of the city traffic and ofcouse 14hrs of ghats in Tso Moriri-Keylong case.. Highways were Ok for us. Also, I am used to doing lot of highway trips since last 7-8 yrs now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Awesome T-log Sathya!
Two things that I missed reading in the report:

1. Mode of communication on the Hills (Mobile/ Satellite phones etc)
2. Availability of fuel in the hill top in sub zero temp.

Would be great to have your inputs on this!
Thanks WWW. BSNL works best there. AIRTEL is ok but not as good as BSNL. Vodafone doesn't work after Srinagar. Remember, your connections must be postpaid.

But forget about connectivity via mobiles in Pangong, TSO Moriri, Chushul and Hanle. There is one satellite phone (PCO types) in Hanle through which you can get connected. But you will have a long queue there.. many villagers flock there to make phone calls.

Fuel is available in Thandi, Leh and Karu only (I mean proper fuel stations). I did Leh - Pangong - Chushul - Hanle - Tso Moriri - Keylong at a stretch without coming back to Leh or Karu.. I fuelled to the brim at Leh and stocked 45L of Diesel in two cans because, I knew that, the next available fuel station is in Thandi only (which is after Keylong). So take atleast two cans and stock 20-30L of Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus_500 View Post
Just wondering, did you check up on your front strut assemblies after the trip? Any issues/complaints? Any damages to the tyres? Also with regards to starting the Hawk in low temperatures, did you encounter any troubles?

I am planning a trip to Ladakh in my XUV at some point. So these things would help a lot! Cheers & keep enjoying your Hawk to the max!
Thanks Columbus. No problems with the front strut assemblies. I took my Hawk to a general check up today and everything was ok including the tyres. Naturally, there was some wear in thread and that is expected after 10000kms. But nothing unusual though. My tyres will last for a minimum of another 20-30K kms without issues. By the way, my Hawk runs on BS tyres.

And with respect to starting in the cold mornings, I did not have any issue.. for e.g. when I stayed in TSO Moriri, the temperature was -5C and the Hawk started in a single crank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teky View Post
Most people keep planning for Leh, but you dreamed it, planned it and executed it.
Thanks Teky. This is only a start. Have these in my hit list.. and all of them by road.

1. Complete Rajastan - Next year
2. Rann of Kutch - Next year
3. Complete North East - 2016 - Will eye a 4 x 4 before this trip (Wrangler).

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 14th September 2013 at 19:21.
Sathya_sc is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 20:52   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
GC is OK, could have been better in the front (nose part) especially. Power in XUV is something to experience and thats why I called it a frieght train.. Pulls like a locomotive. Its addictive.
Reason why I stressed upon this is, I myself am eying a purchase in the 2nd half of '14 and Strome is a contender with XUV.

With Storme, I have to forgo the locomotive feel and I think I am not really ready with to live with its ASC. But then, its a 4X4 with ladder on frame.

With XUV, save for the looks & a bit of overdose of electronics, everything is almost good.
I have spent a bit of time with the XUV, so know what you are speaking about (the locomotive aspect)

Car purchase is not easy for us enthusiasts :P
Old 15th September 2013, 08:19   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Reason why I stressed upon this is, I myself am eying a purchase in the 2nd half of '14 and Strome is a contender with XUV.

With Storme, I have to forgo the locomotive feel and I think I am not really ready with to live with its ASC. But then, its a 4X4 with ladder on frame.

With XUV, save for the looks & a bit of overdose of electronics, everything is almost good.
I have spent a bit of time with the XUV, so know what you are speaking about (the locomotive aspect)

Car purchase is not easy for us enthusiasts :P
I cant agree more with you. Its always a difficult choice. Personally as an ardent Safari lover I still prefer the safari for three reasons..

1. A sturdy ladder frame chassis
2. 4 × 4 option
3. The cult feeling you get

Even in this trip when my HAWK got stuck in Chushul, the only thing that came into my mind was.. why the hell did I not get a 4 × 4. The Hawk managed to sail through the odds thrown at it.. but somehow felt the need for a 4 by 4.

To me, if you are able to get a 4 × 4 at the same or slightly higher price.. go for it. Eventhough a Safari does not feel like a frieght train when it comes to speed, it is fast enough. Just my thought.

When I got the HAWK, the new Safari was not launched.. I have planned for a North east trip in the next 2 yrs, and it will be a 4 × 4 in which I will travel.
Sathya_sc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 08:36   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
At Tso Kiagar..
I see your XUV on tarred road. Is this road goes right up to Tso Moriri? And when did they make this road?

Great coverage here with nice photographs!
Old 15th September 2013, 09:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahead View Post
I wonder when they stopped Photography at Hanle. I was there in June 2012 and we stayed at the Observatory and even drove up to Photi La.Took tons of Photos and even though the local IB section did come to check our docs, they were very polite and friendly and never even once did the talk of Photography ban come up. As far as the Observatory is concerned, It has its own website where there are at least 5 photos of Hanle. Wonder when and IF at all a new ban has come into effect.
They stopped allowing photography in Hanle this year.

Quote:
I see your XUV on tarred road. Is this road goes right up to Tso Moriri? And when did they make this road?
Rudra, from Mahe till Tso Kiagar, there is a tar road, but after that till Karzok it is dirt track.

Last edited by hvkumar : 15th September 2013 at 09:07.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 09:22   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Rudra, from Mahe till Tso Kiagar, there is a tar road, but after that till Karzok it is dirt track.
Sir from Mahe bridge tarred road was there (2010) for few kilometers. After that it was dirt track. There was no tarred road near Tso Kiagar.
Things must have changed over the years. That's why I asked that question.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th September 2013 at 09:23.
Old 15th September 2013, 10:01   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post

Great coverage here with nice photographs!
Thanks Rudra sen.

The tar road ends at Kiagar Tso. From this point it is only dirt track till Tso Moriri (close to 15 to 20kms). This pic was taken 100 to 200 meters before the tar road ended.
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 17:04   #41
BHPian

Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Hats off to you for completing this amazing trip. The write up and pictures are just superb. This is one trip I plan to do sometime in the future if everything works out. Need to pick up a good SUV first before I even think of it though.
prithvi53 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 18:33   #42
BHPian

Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Congrats! Sathya_sc for chasing your dream and making them come true.

You've captured amazing pictures on your whole trip. What I could see that you take photo of your XUV from any side and Team-BHP stickers are there.

Leh and Ladakh travelogues are growing day by day on Team-BHP and I am sure this is inspiring so many Leh-Ladakh enthusiasts to do something which they always dream of doing some day. Seriously, I have to start making plans for enjoying this beauty.

Spent this Sunday with your travelogue and I think its really a well spent day.

-
SS
SaurabhSaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 20:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:

When I got the HAWK, the new Safari was not launched.. I have planned for a North east trip in the next 2 yrs, and it will be a 4 × 4 in which I will travel.
Sathya, great TL and super pics. Thoroughly enjoyed.

What's your opinion about the XUV 500 AWD ?
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 09:35   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhSaran View Post
Congrats! Sathya_sc for chasing your dream and making them come true.

You've captured amazing pictures on your whole trip. What I could see that you take photo of your XUV from any side and Team-BHP stickers are there.

Spent this Sunday with your travelogue and I think its really a well spent day.
Thanks SS. Yes, my Hawk adorns TBHP stickers every side. and I also take pride, being part of this community of driving enthusiasts. and Thanks to note that you enjoyed reading my travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
What's your opinion about the XUV 500 AWD ?
Thanks Heavy Horse. Unfortunately, I have not driven the AWD version of the XUV, but hearsay is, it does not come with the 4 by 4 low and diff. lock. Am also a beginner in this area. For my North east trip, I will look out for a true blue offroader.. let us see.
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 09:40   #45
BHPian

Great to see people travelling all the way from down south to the northern most tip, kudos to you Sathya_sc.

Yet to plan my trip to Leh-Ladakh(need to get an SUV first, probably some time in 2014), i was at Pune earlier have been pushed further south to Bangalore. As i keep moving further south i just wonder is it a good idea to drive all the way to Leh-Ladakh or should i ship the vehicle over to Chandigarh, and drive down from there ?

But seeing all these wonderful travelogue's is a morale booster to kick off the trip right from home.

By the way Sathya_sc did you face any issues with your XUV during these demanding 10,000 kms ?
somitra1981 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks