Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 03:04   #106
BHPian

Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Hi Sathya

I am new to the team and just read your journey. This is the kind of adventure spirit that inspires others to undertake such trips. Thanks a lot for the travelogue. I enjoyed your well written travelogue and also the amazing pictures, in particular the sunset/sunrise Dal lake vistas , infact all the XUV pics were fantastic. Kudos for being the solo driver on such a long journey, I have driven in the UK on good roads and the maximum I cud do is 4 hrs. To put in 12 hr drives is truly outstanding. Thank you once again for sharing this amazing journey!, I read it in one go.
Some day I hope to do this as well.
alphadog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 19:17   #107
BHPian

Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Sir, i went through your entire travelogue, and here are my thoughts :
- I salute you guys, seriously, you and your better half are just amazing ( touch wood ). She gathered the courage to participate in this with you.
- The visit to Army memorial is just so heart touching. I believe we do so much little as compared to them, those words truly touched our heart.
- Mahindra should have covered your journey and made a documentary of it. Its adventurous, and shows how capable the machine is.
- A salute to your family, they trusted you enough to allow you to undertake this insane task.

I am in my office, scrolling through excel sheets, seeing your travelogue, You made my day Sir, a big big Thank you.
Thanks Dieselritzer.. True, army truly deserves it all. The terrain, harsh weather and more importantly our nagging neighbors, their job is really tough and we do nothing compared to them. and Yes, its a great change from what mundane work we do daily. Truly, life changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Wonderful TL and good pictures specially of THE HAWK! A very detailed packing list. Wish could have seen your HAWK loaded, if there was any space left for personal luggage?!

I don't know the reason why you did not take your daughter with you? I could have been a wonderful trip for all of you. Just my take.
Thanks TaureanBull. I packed 4 personal suitcases and for the sake of simplicity packed my clothes in the reverse chronological order so that it is easy for us to pull out the clothes we want quickly! I do not think my daughter would have taken the TSO Moriri weather (-8C without heater)... It was a nightmare in Pangong and Tso Moriri because of harsh weather and altitude. I would have taken her if it was a day trip; night stay made me think twice and I believe my decision was right. She could have not taken it knowing her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Hi Sathya

I am new to the team and just read your journey. This is the kind of adventure spirit that inspires others to undertake such trips. Thanks a lot for the travelogue. I enjoyed your well written travelogue and also the amazing pictures, in particular the sunset/sunrise Dal lake vistas , infact all the XUV pics were fantastic. Kudos for being the solo driver on such a long journey, I have driven in the UK on good roads and the maximum I cud do is 4 hrs. To put in 12 hr drives is truly outstanding. Thank you once again for sharing this amazing journey!, I read it in one go.
Some day I hope to do this as well.
Thanks alpha and all the best. Don't plan much, just do it if you want to. My longest in this trip was 15+ hrs from Vapi to Hosur non-stop (~1300kms).
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 23:38   #108
BHPian

Very nicely written travelogue Sathya..true inspiration. i'm planning on the same trip to Leh n back from Mangalore on my Xenon XT sometime in last week of september.Will PM you for route details and other info soon.
Old 11th April 2014, 08:53   #109
BHPian

Hi Sathya

Your trip has inspired me to plan a trip to the Leh this August. I am faced with a similar dilemma that you faced. But unlike your case I have a Honda city and no SUV. I read in your travelogue that in some sections even the xuv scrapped its belly therefore I am contemplating the route and some destinations so that my city (August 2013) could come back unscathed. Having been there, what do you think of me planning to take the city to the mountains

Cheers
Karthik
Old 12th April 2014, 13:20   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpacman View Post
Hi Sathya

Your trip has inspired me to plan a trip to the Leh this August. I am faced with a similar dilemma that you faced. But unlike your case I have a Honda city and no SUV. I read in your travelogue that in some sections even the xuv scrapped its belly therefore I am contemplating the route and some destinations so that my city (August 2013) could come back unscathed. Having been there, what do you think of me planning to take the city to the mountains

Cheers
Karthik
Honda City has very low GC and longer wheel base putting it at a disadvantage vis-a-vis SUVs & small hatchback cars. Moreover, being a petrol car it lacks the torque required to climb up and down the rough roads. Although roads are much better in Aug, I still think it is a big risk taking a Honda City to Ladakh
Old 12th April 2014, 14:04   #111
BHPian

Thanks HvK sir, I value your opinion. As I said I am contemplating. Threads such as J.Ravi's (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...leh-linea.html) gave me some hope of taking my city up the mountains but now I am thinking even harder
Old 12th April 2014, 17:03   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks HvK sir, I value your opinion. As I said I am contemplating. Threads such as J.Ravi's (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...leh-linea.html) gave me some hope of taking my city up the mountains but now I am thinking even harder
It is not impossible for a Honda City in Aug, but the petrol engine will not have the torque (unlike a diesel car) & the sectors where you will have to be extra careful are:
1. Sonamarg-Zoji la-Dras, the slush & the rough sections
2. Climb up to Khardung la, it being very rocky & rough
3. Climb up & down from Chang la (on way to Pangong), it being very rocky
4. Gramphoo-Rohtang Pass-Manali, the slush & the rough sections

Many of our friends have driven Lineas to Ladakh - and also other sedans.
Old 12th April 2014, 17:47   #113
BHPian

Thanks for the details. We are also thinking of flying to Delhi and hiring a Diesel SUV. Do you know of any SUV hire places?
carpacman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2014, 18:35   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the details. We are also thinking of flying to Delhi and hiring a Diesel SUV. Do you know of any SUV hire places?
Hiring a SUV - Issues:

1. You have to pay permit charges every time you cross a State border (HR, PB, JK, HP). Worse, you have to do this in the check post which are horribly run

2. If it is a yellow number-plate car, you need a commercial driving license

3. HP Police have tried to harass motorists driving taxis, asking for "Hill Driving permits", apparently something which commercial licensees must have to drive in the hills

4. Cops stop you more to harass you when you drive a taxi.

5. In Ladakh circuit itself, starting from Srinagar, all sectors are controlled by local taxi unions who do not allow outside taxis to ply, even if they are self-driven. They have been known to adopt violent means to stop taxis from outside the pre-designated areas.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 15:05   #115

Mesmerising - your write up, your hawk, the pictures and the journey. Somewhere I feel inspired by you. Definitely going to do something like this. Thank you for sharing such a experience sir. I did not miss a single word. Respect!
Master Blaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 23:04   #116
Senior - BHPian

Dear HVK/ Sathya,

I plan to take the plunge and do the trip this summer with the tentative date of departure from Noida fixed as June 7. (Not looking at Sept as schools will be in session). I will be travelling with my family ( Wife and two sons aged 12 and 10) in our 6 year old SX4.

I need your help with accommodation options at the following places:

1) Jammu/ Patni Top ( 1 night)
2) Srinagar ( 3 nights planning a trip to Gulmarg and Pahlgam) . A houseboat would be a good option if they are not too expensive and neat and clean
3) Kargil
4)Leh
5) Pangong Tso

I pla to return via Manali and would also want your advice on the right place to stop enroute to Manali from Leh

I am not looking for something luxurious. However, since I will be with my wife and kids I need the basics in terms of good wash rooms with hot water and comfortable rooms.

Please feel free to make any suggestions ( I am planning a 12-15 day trip).

Thanks.
Old 19th April 2014, 23:40   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Dear HVK/ Sathya,

I plan to take the plunge and do the trip this summer with the tentative date of departure from Noida fixed as June 7. (Not looking at Sept as schools will be in session). I will be travelling with my family ( Wife and two sons aged 12 and 10) in our 6 year old SX4.
Strongly recommend against going in a SX4 at that time. I would shudder to take even a SUV in the beginning of the season when roads are an absolute disaster & when even the chances of the roads being open are not assured.

[QUOTEI need your help with accommodation options at the following places:

1) Jammu/ Patni Top ( 1 night)[/quote]

Whether you stay at Jammu or Patnitop depens on how fast you arrive at either place. If you leave form Delhi in the morning, you will manage to reach Jammu & Patnitop is too far off. Plenty of hotels - including JKTDC - around the bus stand & Raghunath ji Mandir just 1-2 kms from the bypass inside Jammu city. Easy to get in & out.

Quote:
2) Srinagar ( 3 nights planning a trip to Gulmarg and Pahlgam) . A houseboat would be a good option if they are not too expensive and neat and clean
I would not waste my time going to Pahalgam which is off the Jammu-SRinagar road (detour at Khanabal), unless you plan to go there on your way from Jammu. All hotels in Pahalgam are super-expensive (3K + for a decent family room).

Plenty of hotels in Srinagar, but most of the online hotel booking sites rip you off on rates. Better to walk in and haggle. Houseboats - don't even think of booking online, you can get them on the spot for 50% of the rates some online sites charge you. Budget for Dal Lake-side hotel rooms for <RS 2000, and houseboat <Rs 3000.

Quote:
3) Kargil
4)Leh
A good guest house for <Rs 1500. Avoid online booking.

Quote:
5) Pangong Tso
Avoid any thoughts of staying overnight in a high-altitude place like Pangong - it will be the most miserable night of your life! Rack rates for tent camps on the banks of the Pangong Lake are very high, but you can haggle them down on the spot form asking rates of Rs 3K to almost 50-75%.

Quote:
I pla to return via Manali and would also want your advice on the right place to stop enroute to Manali from Leh
Theoretically, the best place to head for is Jispa, if not Keylong, because staying in high-altitude Sarchu is best avoided. However, in the month of June, snow-melt is so severe that the water crossings beyond Sarchu will be ferocious after 2-3 pm, making them almost impossible to cross (This is particularly relevant because you will reach Sarchu only after lunch time).

Quote:
am not looking for something luxurious. However, since I will be with my wife and kids I need the basics in terms of good wash rooms with hot water and comfortable rooms.
In places like Pangong, expect tents with basic features & possibly un-attached toilets. Same with Sarchu. These places also run gensets to generate power between 7-10 pm - no power after that - an charging any devices is also not easy.

Quote:
Please feel free to make any suggestions ( I am planning a 12-15 day trip).

Thanks.
Postpone your trip to Aug-Sep.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 00:09   #118
Senior - BHPian

HVK, thanks for the quick revert. How are the conditions around June 20? Aug/ Sep will not be an option as the Schools here open on July 1 . In such a case coming back via Kashmir should be a better option.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 01:26   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Thanks Sid. I packed the following for the car and for personal use -

1. Tow rope - 5Ton with D shackles
2. 2L Engine Oil
3. 2L Coolant
4. All other fluids (1L each - Brake / Power Steering oil)
5. 5, 10, 15 Amp fuse - 2 each
6. Car grease
7. Polythene - Transparent - if any glasses break
8. Wooden planks of varying sizes
10. Strings to fasten anything
11. Quick Fix, Anabond
12. Nuts and bolts of varying sizes
13. Pair of gloves
14. Tent Lantern (Remember there is no power in Turtuk, Pangong, Hanle and Tso Moriri in the nights)
15. Powerful torches (2 of them)
16. Monkey wrench
17. Spanners of all sizes
18. Screw driver of all sizes
19. Allen key
20. Shovel
21. 3 Ton Hydraulic Jack (floor type)
22. Tyre inflator
23. Puncture repair kit
24. Hammer
25. Few nails
26. Wind screen wash
27. Cloth for wiping windscreen
28. Tarpolin (to cover the car if temp goes below -10C)
29. Lots of batteries (for torches / tent lantern)
30. Jump start cables
31. Rubber Ballons for sealing the diesel cans
32. Big funnel with a hose
33. Small funnel for engine oil, coolent and stuff.
34. Swiss army knife
35. Immersion heater
36. Belkin car inverter
37. Cigarette lighter
38. 1 Car electric socket to 3 socket converter
39. Multi pin electric holder
40. Car mounts (2 of them to hold phone, GPS and DVR)
41. 2 Umbrellas
42. 2 Diesel cans (20L and 35L)
43. 4 phones (eventhough 2 of them has no sim cards - just in case)
44. Wire cutter (sharp ones)
45. Knifes and blades
46. Goggles (2 of them)
47. Spare battery for camera (D3200 Nikon)
48. Spare memory cards (total 20GB)
49. All car chargers and wall charges for all the electronic equipments
50. Tent (4Pax)
51. 2 thick bedsheets (Came handy in Tso Moriri at -5C)
52. Lots and lots of nuts to eat (just in case we are stuck without help)
53. Long range whistle (which can produce sound upto a few kms) - specifically needed for chushul route
54. Steel rod (just in case - for our own safety)
55. Bathroom seat sanitizer (From Elavo) - remember, we are going to change hotels every day
56. Lots of tissue paper
57. Hand sanitizers
58. Liv 52 tablets for digestion
59. Diamox tablets and other basic medicines
60. Borrowed a few sarees.. plain ones.. to cover the luggage and my sub-woofer in the XUV. We did not want anyone to see whats inside the car.
61. 36 bottles of 1 L Aqua Fina (3 cartons bought in Leh each with 12 bottles)
62. Bread, butter, jam and some badam drink etc., to have if we are stuck anywhere.
63. ...

I remeber these, for now. Hope this helps.

This is very helpful. I am planning this September. Actually, 30th August is the scheduled start date from Delhi. I have been spending few hours every week reading up. I must say, this one is we'll written. I have a Fortuner Automatic. What would you think about 2 people vs 3 people in the context of the inclines, traction and need for space for luggage? I haven't planned the circuit as yet.

--
Nayak // Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 08:50   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
HVK, thanks for the quick revert. How are the conditions around June 20? Aug/ Sep will not be an option as the Schools here open on July 1 . In such a case coming back via Kashmir should be a better option.
The later you go, the better. JUne 20 is better than Jun 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
This is very helpful. I am planning this September. Actually, 30th August is the scheduled start date from Delhi. I have been spending few hours every week reading up. I must say, this one is we'll written. I have a Fortuner Automatic. What would you think about 2 people vs 3 people in the context of the inclines, traction and need for space for luggage? I haven't planned the circuit as yet.

--
Nayak // Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Fortuner will have no power issues, it has got litres of it
3 should be a comfortable fit in a T-Fort even after all the extra baggage that you have to carry.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed