Team-BHP - Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/141650-solo-drive-953-kilometers-2-waterfalls.html)

A week with excessive work pressure can only give weird ideas for a stress buster. What I did was to go on a drive to the Malnad region. This time it had to be solo drive, currently no rides permitted. :(

I started pestering my wife about my thoughts about the solo drive, but she was not willing to let me travel alone. But after multiple attempts, the Green signal obtained. I was keen to visit Unchalli falls and Jog falls which has become more of a routine every monsoon for the past few years. I did not want to do an overnight stay and more so since, I had a couple of things to be done on Sunday. The agenda was set. Visit Unchalli and Jog in a day.

The alarm was set at 2 am, was up at the first ring. With the usual chores done, I set out towards Haveri from home at 3.15 am. Fueled the car to the brim at the HPCL bunk on Bellary main road (near CBI office). Made gradual progress and the first pit stop was at KAMAT Ranebennur at 7 am for breakfast. With a light breakfast and a strong coffee I was on the move again. I somehow missed the turn towards Sirsi on the Haveri by pass which ensured, I had to travel a good 9.5 kms to and fro.

The road from Haveri to Hanumakoppa was pathetic which ensured very slow progress. Post this stretch the roads turned out to be a dream.

Inviting roads

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-1.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-2.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-3.jpg

Lush green everywhere

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-4.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-5.jpg

Reached Unchalli at 11.15 am. Way to Unchalli falls from the parking at the Unchalli Village. The falls is about half a km from the parking lot.

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-6.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-7.jpg

Spotted this little snake. It was about 5-6 inches long and mind you quite aggressive for a little one.

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-8.jpg

Reached the view point and found the falls engulfed in the mist due to the heavy water flow. Waiting for the mist to clear. But it did not even after waiting for close to an hour.

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-9.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-10.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-11.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-12.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-13.jpg

Unchalli to Jog. Lovely winding roads.

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-13a.jpg

A brown river

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-13b.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-13c.jpg

The nice twisty roads and the Linea ensured I was grinning wide from ear to ear. Reached Jog at 2 pm. Being a weekend, there was a bit of crowd. The water levels were quite low after the rains have receded. Nevertheless a few snaps of Jog with very little water.

The view of Jog with sparse water.

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-14a.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-14.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-15.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-17.jpg

A rainbow to boot at the bottom of the falls.

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-16.jpg

Had a quick lunch at Jog itself and set off towards Bangalore Via Shimoga at 3 pm.

The paddy fields on either side near Talaguppa.

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-18.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-18a.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-18c.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-18d.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-19.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-21.jpg

Solo Drive - 953 Kilometers, 2 Waterfalls-22.jpg

Drove a few kms past Sagar and found a nice place with proper shade to park the car for a power nap. An after effect of heavy lunch :p. Even with the windows kept open just of a couple of inches ensure the lovely breeze kept me comfortable. Close to an hour's sleep was disturbed by a blaring horn of the private bus. Now the drive continued towards Shimoga. Stopped at the IOCL bunk in Shimoga for fuel top up. The drive traffic was quite dense all the way till Tarikere. A few kms after Tarikere the road is very bad for a stretch of 2 kms post which the roads are very good. The lack of coffee was bothering quite a bit and to keep me happy CCD is now available near Arasikere. A shot of espresso coffee rejuvenated me. From here on it was a non stop drive to home. Reached home @ 10.30 pm.

A couple of videos shot between Amminalli to Heggarne and Heggarne to Siddapur will be uploaded after I get to reduce the size and upload them on youtube.

Like the Safari Ad, a part of my life was reclaimed.

Beautiful thread. I loved the pics.

The rainbow at the bottom of the falls made me grin and wonder why people go abroad when India is beautiful already.

I'm a big fan of your travelogues I loved your leh trip photos. Wishing you miles of smiles with your beautiful car!

Your pictures are a treat to our eyes. 950kms drive and also sight seeing is too much for one day. But as long as it has refreshed you, then no issues. Hope the drive has freed you from your stress.

Beautiful pictures Krishnan.
Especially I liked the second picture. Your Linea standing majestically.
The greenery is so inviting.. Thanks for the nice travelogue.

Great pictures nkrishnap

And hats off to you for a solo 950+ kms single day trip with those beautiful pictures.

Liked the beautiful road with grass on both sides. Hardly get to see such neat roads.

So a cross country drive has not tired you enough. (At least you had the guts to ask your family to let you go!)

Jokes apart.. Amazingly green. Is that beautiful road the Talguppa-Siddapur-Unchali stretch ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3238288)
So a cross country drive has not tired you enough. (At least you had the guts to ask your family to let you go!)

Jokes apart.. Amazingly green. Is that beautiful road the Talguppa-Siddapur-Unchali stretch ?

The first set of pics or the paddy fields one? The first set is between Hanumagoli and Sirsi. The paddy field ones are between Talaguppa and Sagara.

Sweet roads! I remember you were sitting on the fence between a Linea MJD & T-Jet. This must be one of those times you wished you opted for the T-Jet, what :D

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. Always a :thumbs up to solo drives without disturbances. Only driver, car & road...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3238852)
Sweet roads! I remember you were sitting on the fence between a Linea MJD & T-Jet. This must be one of those times you wished you opted for the T-Jet, what :D

Yep, I was actually the one who wanted Tjet at any cost, however at home, everybody was against knowing my usuage. With all the highway drives, I envy Kathirk for having the Tjet for weekends and the MJD for weekday/city requirements.

Tjet for sure would have been bliss on these curvy roads :D

I had recorded a few videos of the drive to Unchalli in the remote roads. Have muted the volume as the windows were rolled down and the wind noise too much to bear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkAZg...ature=youtu.be

Hi krish,

I am planning for a 3 day trip from Bangalore.

I own a Honda Amaze which is just two weeks old.

Can you give me any suggestions please?

I would prefer lots and lots of greenery though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazingGuru67 (Post 3240411)
Hi krish,

I am planning for a 3 day trip from Bangalore.

I own a Honda Amaze which is just two weeks old.

Can you give me any suggestions please?

I would prefer lots and lots of greenery though.

Firstly apologies on the late reply. I had missed the post.

For a 3 day drive with greenery all around, a few places instantly pop up to the mind, Sakaleshpur, Chikamagalur, Coorg. All these can give you a very comfortable 3 day outing and relaxation. If you have any specific places in mind, do ask, the experts here can provide you more information.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkrishnap (Post 3237722)

Like the Safari Ad, a part of my life was reclaimed.

Lovely trip Krishna all in a days outing. So Sirsi is the nearest town from Unchalli Falls?

Need to learn from you the tricks of obtaining green signal for such impromptu drives.