Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2014, 16:30   #226
BHPian

Re: 25-0-40 DownUnder to UpOver - LEH'd 2013

What an incredible travelogue Hirak; finished in one marathon reading session yesterday night. Thoroughly enjoyed

I am planning to visit Leh next year with my friends (from Bangalore). We are planning to hire an SUV from self drive car agencies like ZoomCar. It will have all India permit but will have yellow board. Do you see any additional hassle because of the yellow board like - permit or police/RTO harassment or any other issue?

Has any BHP'ian done Leh with self drive yellow board Car?
Acelerar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 20:38   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelerar View Post

The Leh taxi union does not allow out of state taxis to ply. You will have a hard time convincing them.

Note from Support: Post edited for grammar. Please use a space after full-stop for better readability. Thanks!
tomraven99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 10:36   #228
BHPian

Wonderful wonderful travelogue.

Went through all of it despite a war of words with the wife.

Truly five star stuff. If reading it was this much, can well imagine what fun it would have been living through it. In fact, I too am prompted to do this trip next year in my rapid, when I was planning to buy a yeti specially for this trip.

Hats off.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 12:09   #229
Team-BHP Support

Read this almost after a year you started. Great read! Felt as if I'm traveling with you guys.

We've done this route in 2010 and wanted to take Leh - Manali to get back. But heavy duty snow and blocked Baralacha pass didn't allow us to do so for more than 15 days.
Having done Manali -Leh during 2006, I feel it has much more grandeur and more picturesque than the other route. Well, that's my personal view and feeling.

You and your gang must try that route in future. Trust me, you'll be elated.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 12:19   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelerar View Post
What an incredible travelogue Hirak; finished in one marathon reading session yesterday night. Thoroughly enjoyed

I am planning to visit Leh next year with my friends (from Bangalore). We are planning to hire an SUV from self drive car agencies like ZoomCar. It will have all India permit but will have yellow board. Do you see any additional hassle because of the yellow board like - permit or police/RTO harassment or any other issue?

Yellow board car will be pretty tough to take as the Taxi union may create hassles as well as the local police. Also, you will have spend more on the tolls since its a Taxi registration. I would say take your car or fly down there and hire local taxis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Wonderful wonderful travelogue.

Went through all of it despite a war of words with the wife.

Truly five star stuff. If reading it was this much, can well imagine what fun it would have been living through it. In fact, I too am prompted to do this trip next year in my rapid, when I was planning to buy a yeti specially for this trip.

Hats off.
b

You should do this trip. We had been planning for long but ultimately put it into action. Any car will do this trip but Yeti will be more comfortable and tension free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Read this almost after a year you started. Great read! Felt as if I'm traveling with you guys.

We've done this route in 2010 and wanted to take Leh - Manali to get back. But heavy duty snow and blocked Baralacha pass didn't allow us to do so for more than 15 days.
Having done Manali -Leh during 2006, I feel it has much more grandeur and more picturesque than the other route. Well, that's my personal view and feeling.

You and your gang must try that route in future. Trust me, you'll be elated.
Thanks Rudra sir, it was a fun trip at the end of the day. We very much wanted to come via the Manali highway, until the last minute we were taking updates from the Sumo which went one day earlier but because of their earnest advise and the fact that we needed to cover another 3000 kms to come back home, we decided against taking a chance. This route is definitely in plans for the future.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 02:27   #231
BHPian

@motomaverick
It’s a superb write up.
Although I am reading your travelogue late but I really enjoyed every bit of it.
Hats off that you dared taking Manza on Leh trip, as the GC is not best in the class but adding spacers was the right thing to do.
Feel really bad for satya as he could not complete his trip and returned home midway, is he a BHPian, as I didn’t see any comments from him.
Also I would like to know your unbiased opinion that which car performed best during the whole trip.
Lastly I salute your wife and family as they allowed you to go for 18 day trip without them, mine would like to stick with me if I take 2 week leave from office.
Old 18th June 2015, 21:15   #232
BHPian

Divya > You need not feel bad for me as i very well completed the entire tour circle we planned at LEH and we all started back on the same day while i returned back in flight due to urgency while my friends drove my Duster back to Chennai safely.
Old 22nd June 2015, 20:55   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Divya > You need not feel bad for me as i very well completed the entire tour circle we planned at LEH and we all started back on the same day while i returned back in flight due to urgency while my friends drove my Duster back to Chennai safely.
Hi Sathya,
Good to hear that.
looking forward for your future trips.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks