Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2015, 19:24   #46
BHPian

Re: From Bangalore to Ooty!

Currently it is off season time to visit Ooty. In the first place is it a good time to visit?

Further pretty confused with the route now!!

Route 1 -Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangudu-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Masinagudi-Ooty (267 kms as per Google maps)

Route 2 -Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangudu-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Mudumalai-Gudalur-Ooty (306 kms as per google maps)

Route 2 seems be to slightly longer. My main considerations are good roads with scenic beauty.

As per sumannady the second route (Gudalur route) is in bad shape. Has anyone travelled very recently? Is it suggested to stick to the first route itself?

I am planning for 2-3 days stay in Ooty where I am planning to visit Pykara lake, Botanical gardens, Emerald Lake and Avalanche Sanctuary.

@tarique2002i - Is there a requirement to obtain any permission to visit the High Field Tea Estate at Coonoor. Please advice.

Any other places to visit? Any more suggestions?

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by rki2007 : 3rd February 2015 at 19:27.
Old 4th February 2015, 14:34   #47
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Currently it is off season time to visit Ooty. In the first place is it a good time to visit?

Further pretty confused with the route now!!

Route 1 -Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangudu-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Masinagudi-Ooty (267 kms as per Google maps)

Route 2 -Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangudu-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Mudumalai-Gudalur-Ooty (306 kms as per google maps)

Route 2 seems be to slightly longer. My main considerations are good roads with scenic beauty.
Always good to visit in off season (my personal opinion), lesser crowds and peaceful.
As for the route - Take the Masinagudi route while going from Bangalore. It is scenic but will involve ghat driving, quite steep, road is in excellent condition and will take you up to Ooty quickly

Needless to say, start early, say by 5am so as to avoid the devilish traffic on Bangalore-Mysore route.

Gudalur section is quite bad and sometimes cops in Ooty will not let you take Masinagudi route downhill, so on the return consider coming back via Mettupalayam-Avinashi, then NH47 upto Salem and then NH 7 for Salem- Bangalore.
Here is a more relevant thread for route/road conditions and recent updates - Here.

Last edited by NPV : 4th February 2015 at 14:36.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 21:58   #48
BHPian

A beautifully written travelogue and nice pics. Those beautiful tree covered roads through the forests are heavenly. Surely warrant a drive soon. Thanks for sharing.

And remembering Robert Frost during the travel surely indicates your taste to poetic excellence. Nicely woven into the travelogue. Thanks again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks