Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 21:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Solo-Leh-Tude: Delhi – Manali – Leh – Srinagar in my Alto K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonix25 View Post
Awesome Feat SpiritofMars!!
A solo drive to one of the World's most treacherous terrain that too in an Alto is a worthy appreciation. I hope your 2014 trip is much more adventurous and get many more better photos (with your DSLR) in that Travellogue.
Thanks Aeonix25 - I have already started shopping around for a good DSLR Leh 2014 is on for sure, and this time with much better photos. Glad you liked the t-log

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Fantastic - your experience just answered a big question mark I had. I own the K10 too and its a brilliant little machine that I have taken a liking to. I always wanted to know if Leh would be possible on the K10.

I have read a lot of Leh'd-logues till now and I see two main routes to the awesomeness of the hills - one on the Amritsar-Srinagar-Kargil route and the other via Manali. I wanted to know which one is more suited for the K10? I agree with your point of taking the Alto late into the season when most of those tricky nallas and water crossings have dried up or have become small enough for the Alto to pass through. I just want to know which route is the best one to be done by the K10. I have always fantasized about taking my K10 to Leh ... but from your travelogue, it looks like that fantasy may become a dream and then into reality!!!

Can you share other details of the car like
  1. Underbody protection (if any) with pics
  2. Headlamp upgrades? (With Specifications)
  3. Tire upgrades? (With Specifications)
  4. FE you got on the trip (highest/lowest/avg)
  5. Any other car feature/extras I may have missed out

It looks like you just opened a can of worms in my head now!!! Are you planning to do the trip in 2014 on the K10 again? If yes, then I guess we can start some planning starting now!
Thanks vsathyap ! I personally drove via Manali while going to Leh and returned through the Srinagar route. The Srinagar route will give you more time to acclimatize, enjoy the Kashmir Valley and the road is in fine shape till Leh. Manali-Leh is more demanding but also an insanely bewitching route to drive - no pictures/words can capture the feeling of the More plains, Gata Loops, Sarchu or the Killing Sarai. It's also in much worse shape.

Most people recommend going via Srinagar, but I would rather go via Manali ; it's a question of personal preference. Your Alto will handle both, given the right season and with proper driving skills on your part.
  1. Underbody protection (if any) with pics - Didn't bother. Not recommended though, and I plan to get it done before my next trip. I wanted to fit it, but I couldn't get it done in time so chanced it.
  2. Headlamp upgrades? (With Specifications) - Osram Nightbreakers
  3. Tire upgrades? (With Specifications) - Stock tyres. No upgrades.
  4. FE you got on the trip (highest/lowest/avg) - Averaged 17-18. Mostly relaxed and careful driving
  5. Any other car feature/extras I may have missed out - Nothing. My car's completely stock so far. PM me if you are looking for more specific info about any point

And feel free to join in for Leh 2014 !

Last edited by spiritofmars : 1st October 2013 at 22:11.
spiritofmars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 22:37   #32
BHPian

Hi spiritofmars, It's an awesome TL I wanted to really know, what was the source of Inspiration for undertaking this trip?

To have traveled alone like this indeed remarkable.I got bored doing couple of solo trips from Hyderabad to Bangalore.
Old 3rd October 2013, 02:04   #33
BHPian

Great going spiritofmars !!!

That's the spirit of a true petrolhead.

With no one as a company, you go sailing, all alone..... in an Alto. TAKE A BOW GENTLEMAN!!!

Was GC a major issue ?? Did your car take any severe underbody hits ??

I too am planning for a leh trip next year in my Figo TDCi. So would like to have some valuable suggestions/ inputs from you regarding the GC, tyre pressure (over-inflated to increase GC), Headlamps, vehicle over-heating, or any other useful tips worth sharing.
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:16   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer8 View Post
Hi spiritofmars, It's an awesome TL I wanted to really know, what was the source of Inspiration for undertaking this trip?
I always wanted to see the Manali - Leh highway with the Gata loops, More plains, the high passes and the majestic Himalayas. I don't mind travelling alone ; wasn't going to give up this epic road trip when I have my Alto for company. Believe me, it was worth every minute - lack of company barely registered on this trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Great going spiritofmars !!!

That's the spirit of a true petrolhead.

With no one as a company, you go sailing, all alone..... in an Alto. TAKE A BOW GENTLEMAN!!!

Was GC a major issue ?? Did your car take any severe underbody hits ??

I too am planning for a leh trip next year in my Figo TDCi. So would like to have some valuable suggestions/ inputs from you regarding the GC, tyre pressure (over-inflated to increase GC), Headlamps, vehicle over-heating, or any other useful tips worth sharing.
thanks auto_enthusiast ! GC was not an issue at all - The Alto scraped just its underbody just once, near Rohtang. I slowed down to a crawl on the bad stretches, and that helped a lot.

I have driven my brother's Figo - it's a good, solid and spacious car. You can easily do Leh with it. I packed light and kept the tyre pressure a notch above normal, to keep GC high. I've added a list of things to carry in one my previous posts, feel free to use that to plan your Leh journey. I upgraded my headlamps to Osram Nightbreakers - the illumination was much better. I didn't face any overheating issues at all ; but you can carry some spare coolant and take frequent breaks if you think it might be a problem.

Let me know if you need any more info ; will be glad to help. Leh is an absolute must-see place for any petrolhead
spiritofmars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 19:09   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofmars View Post
I always wanted to see the Manali - Leh highway with the Gata loops, More plains, the high passes and the majestic Himalayas. I don't mind travelling alone ; wasn't going to give up this epic road trip when I have my Alto for company. Believe me, it was worth every minute - lack of company barely registered on this trip
It's wonderful to know that you're passionate & believe in achieving what you wish to do. Kudos for this amazing journey, I look forward more such awesome TL's from you in future. Even I wanted to visit Leh but travelling all the way from Hyderabad is a constrain now, BTW, better luck next time with your company .
Redeemer8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 12:34   #36

Excellent reviews with pictures. Also great to see one doing with an Alto, you have encouraged a lot of people from taking such journeys regardless of their vehicle seize. Happy riding.
Old 7th October 2013, 17:42   #37
BHPian

Hi spiritofmars,

Many congrats on this amazing and wonderful achievement to you and your Alto.

I am surprised and assured again that cars from Maruti though slightly fragile do live upto their reputation as reliable and customer friendly (have owned an 800 & Esteem Di)

This is an inspiration to anyone out there who would think that they cannot access these wonderful locations without SUV's.

I too am planning a Leh Trip sometime in the near future on my recently acquired TBTS 500 and reading your blog was one more shot in the arm to fulfill this journey.

Cheers Mate and keep Driving Safe.
Old 7th October 2013, 23:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialedition View Post
Excellent reviews with pictures. Also great to see one doing with an Alto, you have encouraged a lot of people from taking such journeys regardless of their vehicle seize. Happy riding.
Thanks specialedition ; I was frankly not expecting to receive so many comments / good wishes on this t-log. It's been a real surprise, to realize so many people don't attempt Leh due to lack of an SUV. I am glad that bhp-ians found this t-log useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hi spiritofmars,

Many congrats on this amazing and wonderful achievement to you and your Alto.

I am surprised and assured again that cars from Maruti though slightly fragile do live upto their reputation as reliable and customer friendly (have owned an 800 & Esteem Di)

This is an inspiration to anyone out there who would think that they cannot access these wonderful locations without SUV's.

I too am planning a Leh Trip sometime in the near future on my recently acquired TBTS 500 and reading your blog was one more shot in the arm to fulfill this journey.

Cheers Mate and keep Driving Safe.
Thank you Jimmy_u ; Maruti makes good cars indeed. I have owned 2 so far, and my next one will probably be the new Swift too. The TBTS is an awesome bike, and will comfortably take you to Leh. I had considered biking to Leh, but eventually it turned out to be the Alto. Safe riding to you as well

Last edited by spiritofmars : 7th October 2013 at 23:35.
spiritofmars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 06:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the feat. It is a big thing to drive on those roads, and to do it all alone is a much greater job.
How many spare tyres did you carry? Since it was a K10 and you were alone I am sure it must have done well.

I have a mini SUV - Nano , people have been to leh in it, so dreaming to do the same hopefully.

Last edited by silverado : 9th October 2013 at 06:17.
Old 9th October 2013, 15:48   #40
BHPian

Amazing travel as i have done many solos around mumbai and down south in my zen estilo. Its all about the driving and alone sometimes is a blessing in disguise.
Old 10th October 2013, 14:02   #41
BHPian

That's one heck of a travelogue , what a great combination of man and machine , doing leh in alto that too alone , that reaffirms the fact that Maruti still makes one of the most reliable cars in India.

This reaffirms the fact that Maruti still makes most reliable cars in India.

Last edited by bblost : 10th October 2013 at 14:13.
Old 17th October 2013, 00:21   #42
BHPian

Hats off to you buddy for doing a solo trip. I too had been contemplating a Ladakh trip this whole year. I even decided to go solo in September, after facing a situation similar to yours (people backing out due to various reasons) but some important business matters came in the way and the crucial timing was lost (Sep end, Oct first week)

Now I am planning to fly in to Leh, do a short 4-5 days trip, and plan a proper trip next year. Will definitely do solo without depending on anyone.
Old 7th December 2014, 23:53   #43
BHPian

Travelling Srinagar in Mid-Dec (with family)

Hello All!

Did a little search and except for a few threads like that of rkbharat sir, wasnt able to find the requisite information.
Probably I am in a little undue stress because I have the task of planning this trip which is just around the corner. All I can say to you is HELP!

Need some pointers for an upcoming family trip to Srinagar in mid-Dec. Your help shall be much appreciated:

1. Stay option: Need nothing fancy/luxurious. However, this would be one of the few trips I am going with family. Owing to hostel life, have so far traveled in bachelor company so never had to pre-book/think of safe stay options. (I have shortlisted Hotel Heemal on Dal Lake run by JKTDC).
I am thinking of staying at 2-3 places to break hotel monotony. Except for House boats and dal lake hotels do I have any other option?(Like staying at Chameshahi/Pehelgam/Gulmarg). Family is concerned about staying at Gulmarg and getting stuck in snowfall there itself.

2. Any pointers for the itinerary, I am particularly concerned of getting bored in the longish family trip, spending 6-7 days in Srinagar and nearby needs some detailed planning.

3. What other places can I visit with family(all members in good physical health). I dont find many places in and near Srinagar except for Shankracharya temple, chameshahi, pari mahal, nishat garden and a few other gardens.. Am I missing something?

4. Any other pointers/advice from your end shall be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Warm regards
Old 8th December 2014, 01:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: Travelling Srinagar in Mid-Dec (with family)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
Hello All!

Did a little search and except for a few threads like that of rkbharat sir, wasnt able to find the requisite information.
Probably I am in a little undue stress because I have the task of planning this trip which is just around the corner. All I can say to you is HELP!

Need some pointers for an upcoming family trip to Srinagar in mid-Dec. Your help shall be much appreciated:

1. Stay option: Need nothing fancy/luxurious. However, this would be one of the few trips I am going with family. Owing to hostel life, have so far traveled in bachelor company so never had to pre-book/think of safe stay options. (I have shortlisted Hotel Heemal on Dal Lake run by JKTDC).
I am thinking of staying at 2-3 places to break hotel monotony. Except for House boats and dal lake hotels do I have any other option?(Like staying at Chameshahi/Pehelgam/Gulmarg). Family is concerned about staying at Gulmarg and getting stuck in snowfall there itself.

2. Any pointers for the itinerary, I am particularly concerned of getting bored in the longish family trip, spending 6-7 days in Srinagar and nearby needs some detailed planning.

3. What other places can I visit with family(all members in good physical health). I dont find many places in and near Srinagar except for Shankracharya temple, chameshahi, pari mahal, nishat garden and a few other gardens.. Am I missing something?

4. Any other pointers/advice from your end shall be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Warm regards
Dec 9, Dec 14,Dec 20 are all polling dates in Kashmir.You might want to take note of the dates.Dec 29 is when all polling activities conclude.Counting is on 23 Dec,2014.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 01:32   #45
BHPian

Re: Travelling Srinagar in Mid-Dec (with family)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Dec 9, Dec 14,Dec 20 are all polling dates in Kashmir.You might want to take note of the dates.Dec 29 is when all polling activities conclude.Counting is on 23 Dec,2014.
Thanks for the heads-up Ranjit.

But our trip was planned before the Election commission planned the election.

Apologies, I should have mentioned the dates of travel which are from 15th Dec- 22nd Dec. Elections would be high time(esp in the wake of recent heightened terrorist activities) and I certainly run the risk of confinement to the place of stay.

Any other valuable inputs from your end shall be very welcomed.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks