Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2014, 19:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Day 4 ctd & Day 5 - Lakkom Falls, Marayoor & drive back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
There are multiple staying options for varied budget in both Thekkady and Munnar. For Thekkady we wanted a place near to boating, hence we booked at KTDC Periyar house. Booking was done online through their portal .
For Munnar we booked a homestay based on tripadvisor reviews. Rheinberg.....
Hello,

Can you please share your experiences of Rheinberg?

Where does one park the car?
Old 5th March 2014, 09:04   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
The above quote is from your comment on my thread.
Thanks Dhanush.
Also, remember seeing you planning for a TN (Tanjavur)drive is it done?

Quote:
I wasn't able to visit Rajamalai on my visits to Munnar nor was I able to travel till Marayoor.
Looks like I need to make amends.
And very soon at that
In any tourist hotspot there will be few locations which are less crowded but the most beautiful. I guess in Munnar it is Marayoor and CSI church.
Well, what better way for your XUV to stretch it legs.

Quote:
Hey hey... I also have the exact same frame in my thread.
Same pinch
I liked this spot more than the actual view point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hello,
Can you please share your experiences of Rheinberg?
Where does one park the car?
I would recommend this homestay for anyone planning to do a Munnar trip. However my requirements of a place of stay during any trip is only that it should be clean have a safe parking. I am not much of a sit at hotel and enjoy the amnesties kind of person.

Car parking space is provided at compound of a church nearby. Felt the place was safe. From car park the homestay is accessible through an unpaved walkway (~60-70 mts). I was standing on that walkway when I captured this pic Homestay road . The place is also accessible via a concrete road which is used by owner, you can see his car parked in the pic above. However there is only space to park one car, hence church compound is the only way out.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 5th March 2014 at 09:08.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 09:38   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Dhanush.
Also, remember seeing you planning for a TN (Tanjavur)drive is it done?
No Suhas. The drop on at Tanjavur did not materialise.
I travelled to Chennai and then to Pondicherry too.
However, the next morning I had to return back to Kochi for some immediate commitment before I could stretch the trip to cover Tanjavur and Pitchavaram.
Sometime sooner than later I hope

Quote:
In any tourist hotspot there will be few locations which are less crowded but the most beautiful. I guess in Munnar it is Marayoor and CSI church.
Well, what better way for your XUV to stretch it legs.
The snap of the CSI church definitely looked out of the local settings of Kerala.
Am definitely gonna let Cheetah stretch its legs to Marayoor soon.
May be immediately after monsoons; the best time to go.
Now it might not be as green as I would like it to be

Quote:
I liked this spot more than the actual view point.
Very true. The view point is an amazing stop over.
An ideal place where you can park your car and sit on the culvert to enjoy the amazing view which is unfolded in front of your eyes
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 01:36   #19
BHPian

Re: Wanderlust Traveller - Call of the Hills: Munnar, Thekkady & Idukki

Lovely, inspiring TL. The pictures are all so well-composed. Read through the whole log in a go. Looking at those pictures, just kept thinking - 'who needs a new zealand'?!
There is so much we offer within and yet we seek out.

Planning on a trip to Kerela and 7n/8d in hand starting from Bangalore. This will be our first trip to Kerela. Had been to Wayanad before but that was more of visit to resort and back.

This time it is more to see the history and scenics in Kerela. Thanks for sharing the info on Kalaripayattu and Kathakali. Looks very intense.

Rough plan with places to visit in these many days - Blr, Munnar, Thekkedy, Varkala, Allepy, Kochi, Blr. Any idea / suggestions if you explored this as an option?
Old 4th August 2014, 12:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
Looking at those pictures, just kept thinking - 'who needs a new zealand'?!
I too agree with your comment.
I guess where it fails in India is how a tourist place is marketed. Mostly a well marketed tourist place in India is means a crowded city, traffic, garbage all around and touts.

Quote:
Planning on a trip to Kerela and 7n/8d in hand starting from Bangalore.
Rough plan with places to visit in these many days - Blr, Munnar, Thekkedy, Varkala, Allepy, Kochi, Blr. Any idea / suggestions if you explored this as an option?
We too wanted to visit Kochin during our Munnar trip, though the reason was for visiting few friends mainly. However had to drop the plan since we were not have much days in hand.

With an 8 days to spare you can do all the places you mentioned, however it will be bit hectic. Especially Varkala, since that is south from all your other locations.

Please note that even on NH, an average speed of 45 KMPH is considered 'fast' due to high population density. So budget the same when you plan your trip. Also, time after rains and before Diwali season is best to visit Munnar, this will help you in getting the best season minus the crowd.

My prefered break up for the locations will be -

Day1 - Bangalore - Thekkady.
Day 2. Thekkady boat safari in morning - Munnar.
Day 3. Munnar local.
Day 4. Munnar local
Day 5. Munnar - Allepy (I am guessing boathouse). Most boat houses start around 11.00 AM and return next day ~ 09.00 AM. So you may have to start early from Munnar.
Day 6. Allapuza - Varkala - Here the problem is, you will be reaching Varkala afternoon and then finish most of your sight seeing today itself.
Day 7. Varkala - Cochin - Cochin local.
Day 8. Cochin local - Return to Bangalore.

As mentioned this will be bit too hectic. Based on your preference you can drop either Thekkady or Varkala from the list to make it bit more relaxed.

For Cochin sight seeing you can check THBPian Jacs travelogue.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 4th August 2014 at 12:58.
Old 4th August 2014, 13:56   #21
BHPian

Thanks Suhas for the insight on averaging speed.

Travel schedule is last week September to 1st Week October.
We have been to enough hill stations (read Yercaud, Wayanad, Ooty, Kodai) quite few times. So there is this thought of 'do we really need Munnar / Thekkedy in the plan at all or can we do without it?'. But looking at those pictures from this TL is very instilling and hence confused.

I really don't want to push it to a point where it's hectic as well, with lot of driving and not much of actual seeing and absorbing. Wife and kids 7,11 all enjoy drives but don't want to make it too crazy for them as well.

Varkala was suggested by colleague at work and those cliffs by the shore does look enticing. Is there any other place on-route that will give us a feel of Varkala without having to go there in that case?

On a side note, 1.5 hrs of one way (?) trek to the Idukki dam as mentioned by you here, seems like a worthwhile thing to do. Any double thoughts here from you?

So with this confusing post of mine :P,
will missing Munnar and Thekkedy from our Kerela sojourn make it incomplete? I am sure there will still be places for us to soak in and learn of the culture there. Not sure if any boat-races will be on when we visit, but yes things like this and kalaripayattu and kathakalli or any other traditional shows will be of interest as well.

2 cars are confirmed as of now as well with my cousin showing interest to tag along.

Last edited by andyonwheels : 4th August 2014 at 13:57.
Old 4th August 2014, 15:49   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Varkala was suggested by colleague at work and those cliffs by the shore does look enticing. Is there any other place on-route that will give us a feel of Varkala without having to go there in that case?
Yes, what your colleague said is true.
Similar option nearby to Kochin was Cherthala, I have read a lot of this place. However I am yet to visit the same, hence can't comment how good it is. Do note that these places are bit off track and just getting popular, hence facilities outside the resorts may not be great.

Quote:
On a side note, 1.5 hrs of one way (?) trek to the Idukki dam as mentioned by you here, seems like a worthwhile thing to do. Any double thoughts here from you?
The time quoted was to walk around the dam and return to car. However entry to dam is only allowed few days in a year (around Onam - 7-SEP-14) and Christmans. I guess your travel date may not coincide with this.

Quote:
will missing Munnar and Thekkedy from our Kerela sojourn make it incomplete? I am sure there will still be places for us to soak in and learn of the culture there. Not sure if any boat-races will be on when we visit, but yes things like this and kalaripayattu and kathakalli or any other traditional shows will be of interest as well.
I guess you will end up with extra days if you drop Munnar & Thekkady.
At risk of confusing you further, let me suggest another option.

Drop Munnar & Thekkady for a later trip and for now directly visit Trivandrum & Kovalam. Then proceed north towards Varkala- Cochin and return to Bangalore.

A similar travelogue .
There are Kathakalli centers in Cochin also which has daily shows for tourist, so that should not be an issue.

Also, Nehru trophy boat race is on 9th Aug this year.
Old 4th August 2014, 17:18   #23
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the TL's of other similar trips.

Looked and around and contemplating -
Bangalore - Munnar - Varkala - Alleppey / Kumarkom, Fort Kochi, Anthirapally Falls - Bangalore.
andyonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 18:06   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore - Munnar - Varkala - Alleppey / Kumarkom, Fort Kochi, Anthirapally Falls - Bangalore.
Ok. Great, if visiting Athirapally you can try Athirapally - Valparai - Pollachi - Salem route on way back. It is a slower option, however Athirapally - Valparai is a very scenic route through dense forest. And Valparai - Pollachi has amazing ghat section.
Old 4th August 2014, 18:27   #25
BHPian

Here's what a quick snapshot looks like.

Was thinking of Athirapally on way back to Bangalore from Fort Kochi and looks like it will be way too hectic to stop-by for the Falls and then proceed to Bangalore, all in a day. If we do decide to do it, we might break journey half-way.

Looked on gMaps on the Athirapally - Valparai - Pollachi - Salem route and not sure what the road in white means or how the condition would be. But surely, if the route is well-worth, we will do best to map it on-route back as well.
Attached Images

Old 4th August 2014, 23:20   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was thinking of Athirapally on way back to Bangalore from Fort Kochi and looks like it will be way too hectic to stop-by for the Falls and then proceed to Bangalore, all in a day. If we do decide to do it, we might break journey half-way.
Yes, the Valpari route may be bit time consuming. The white route is the actual route between Athirapally - Valparai.
There was a bad section of road near to KL - TN border when I travelled 2 years back. I have seen similar comments from other members who travelled last year too, not sure of current condition. However if you are able to manage time I would suggest you to take the route for the scenery.
Old 15th August 2015, 17:07   #27
BHPian

We had explored Guruvayoor, Kottayam, Kumily, Tekkadi, Ramakkalmedu, Munnar, Cochin etc places in October last year. We took lot of inputs from this detailed travelogue, even we stayed in KTDC Periyar House, Thekkady and Rheinberg, Munnar. Both places were very good, we enjoyed quite, pleasant stay there. Your detailed info made our trip easy and memorable.

We opted public transport instead of our own ride for this trip. Which included Train, Bus (Kottayam-Kumily), Rented Swift (Thekkady-Ramakkalmedu-Munnar), Auto (all Munnar sight seeing), Indica Taxi (Munnar-Kalady-Cochin), Flight (Indigo : Cochin-Bangalore).

Wonderful pictures, well compiled narration. Thank you so much for the details provided.
Nempuguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 21:54   #28
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need help. I am planning a Munnar-Thekkady trip between 1st & 2nd week of July for 4 to 5 days, much like the one in this thread covered by mpksuhas. How would be weather during the time and is it suggested during this period. Planning with wife & daughter (2.8 years).

I would be driving from Bangalore.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
KK
Old 14th July 2016, 19:43   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Hi Guys,

Need help. I am planning a Munnar-Thekkady trip between 1st & 2nd week of July
Regards,
KK
Sorry, missed seeing your post till now. In case you have not already made the trip would suggest you take it only by Aug or Sept, have felt it's the best time to visit KL hill stations.
Old 14th July 2016, 19:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, missed seeing your post till now. In case you have not already made the trip would suggest you take it only by Aug or Sept, have felt it's the best time to visit KL hill stations.
Sure, no issues. I got a reply on another thread and based on the advice I did not plan my trip in July, due to rains. Now, we have made a plan to visit Nelliampathy in Sep 2nd week and have booked stay.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed