Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 21:40   #1
BHPian

Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra

TRIP TO TUNGARLI AND PAWNA LAKES (270 km)
DESTINATION : TUNGARLI AND PAWNA LAKES
1. “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life”
― Michael Palin

2. So this is my state right now , all I know is that I wanted to see all the places that I could have seen till date but somehow missed out on all of them .I wanna make amends to it and I think I am on the right track.

3. This is a brief travelogue on a single day trip to two lesser known lakes of Maharashtra which in reality has numerous lakes spread all over its length and breadth. This day I was journeying to see Lake Tungarli and thereafter Lake Pawna.

4. The trip log stated 60213 and the time was 0700 as I set the INDOMITABLE rolling. It was still fresh from the SPITI EXPEDITION but I guess it too was bitten by the bug as I was .Anyways there is nothing much on the Mumbai to lonavla stretch worth mentioning and I have covered the same earlier. We reached Lonavla by 0920 hrs and thereafter had breakfast at Hotel Rama Krishna, this particular hotel I have been seeing since over a decade and it is still going strong judging by the amount of people who were thronging the place.

MARINE DRIVE EARLY MORNING

Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-marine-drive-morning.jpg

ON THE WAY TO LONAVLA
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-mumbai-pune-expressway.jpg

TUNNELS PRIOR LONAVLA
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-way-lonavla.jpg
5. Post a quick breakfast I enquired about the route to Tungarli Lake and was directed to take a left from the second petrol pump which was just ahead. I followed the directions and soon came to fork and I was directed to take the road going upwards on the right. In no time I reached Tungarli Lake on which a dam has been constructed. The lake looks after the water requirements of Lonavla town. The dam was constructed in the 1930s and is in the foothills of the Sahyadris.In the monsoon this is the place to be, we did meet a group who were organizing a weekend camping for clients and based out of Mumbai.

6. I did indulge in a lot of photographs and also climbed the local hills overlooking the lake to get a view of the entire surrounding. It was a real peaceful time that I enjoyed to great deal with hardly any more people to intrude upon my solitude. My phone too fell in to the water and for close to thirty seconds it was in the water of the lake and my heart was in my mouth but as they say luck was smiling upon me as I took the simple path of opening everything up and drying them in the sparkling sun.
PATH TOWARDS TUNGARLI DAM
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-path-towards-tungarli-dam.jpg

OTHER SIDE OF THE LAKE
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-other-side-tungarli-valley.jpg

TUNGARLI
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-lake-tungarli.jpg

STILL WATERS
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-still-waters.jpg

LAKE TUNGARLI
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-tungarli-lake.jpg

PANORAMIC
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-panoramic-image.jpg

7. After spending close to two hours we then proceeded to Dhaba Kinara Village which is on the old Mumbai Pune highway just after exiting the town. A magnificent place it had great food and service coupled with ambience and I strongly recommend it to everyone.

DHABA KINARA VILLAGE
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-dhaba-kinara-village.jpg

Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-just-clicks.jpg

JUST CLICKS
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-paan-wala.jpg
8. Had a leisurely meal and then we proceeded towards Pawna Lake which is 22 kms from Lonavla towards Dudhiware Khind.The route is pretty simple and goes through the villages Kusagaon and Aundholi.Around 5 kms before the lake one come across a path cut through the mountain and on the left side of it there is a jungle trail quite predefined which is the trek to Lohagad fort which overlooks the Pawna Lake. Due to paucity of time I did not attempt the trek but it is quite popular amongst the local trekkers.
LOHAGAD TREK DIVERSION
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-bifurcation-lohagad-fort-trek.jpg

THROUGH THE MOUNTAINS
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-through-mountains.jpg

9. After Dudhiware Khind one can see the lake which is a vast expanse of water and the three forts of Lohagad, Tung and Tikona which used to guard the entrance to the valleys below in the times of Shivaji and Mughal Dynasty. We stopped at the Lohagad resort and Boating club which also has accommodation in case anyone wishes to stay and a small restaurant .I spent close to three hours at the lake and saw the sunset, wanted to also capture the full moon but the drive back was also there in the back of my head so after spending an enthralling time out here which included a ride on one of the boats, I bid adieu to a splendid spot so close peaceful tranquil and exotic.

DUDHIWARE KHIND
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-enroute-lake-pawna.jpg

LAKE PAWNA VIEWS
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-pawna-view-1.jpg

Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-pawna-view-2.jpg

Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-pawna-view-3.jpg

Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-placid-pawna.jpg

Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-dam-gates-pawna.jpg

Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-night-falls.jpg

NOT SURE OF THE NAME
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-am-not-sure-name.jpg

SUNSET ON PAWNA
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-sunset-pawna.jpg

Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-another-view-sunset.jpg

FORT TIKONA
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-tikona-fort-overlooking-pawna-lake.jpg

THE INDOMITABLE
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-indomitable.jpg

THROUGH THE DARKNESS
Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra-thru-darkness.jpg

10. The drive back was routine and I reached Mumbai by 2235 hrs.

11. Odometer for the trip .Mumbai -60213 >Tungarli > Pawna > Mumbai-60483

LOG
pawna log.xlsx

Last edited by swsumit : 27th October 2013 at 22:49.
swsumit is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 16:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Drive to the Tungarli & Pawna Lakes, Maharashtra

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!
Old 21st April 2015, 17:49   #3

Pune > Tungi route help

Hello All,
I am planning a trip to Tung (Club Mahindra, Tungi Resort) near Lonavla starting from Pune. Need to know details on the best route since Google suggests 2 different routes with a difference of almost 30 kms.

Criteria:
1. Decent drive possible, relatively good road condition
2. Travel time is not a constraint, 2.5 hours on a scenic & good road is preferred to 1.5 hours on Expressway

Which of the following route is preferred?
1. Mumbai - Pune Expressway >> Lonavla >> Kurvande (Lion's Point) >> Ghusalkhamb >> Javan Tungi Road >> Tungi Resort
OR
2. Baner >> Mahalunge >> Nande >> Chande >> Ghotawade >> Kolwan >> Hadashi >> Javan >> Vagheshwar >> Chavsar >> Javan Tungi Road >> Tungi Resort

Has anyone travelled the 2nd route? How is the road condition for a sedan like Xcent or a low ground clearance vehicle like Civic?
Also any feedback about either of the above routes is appreciated.

Thanks,
Anant
Old 21st April 2015, 21:17   #4
BHPian

Re: Pune > Tungi route help

I drive regularly to Lion's point from Pune via Express way and I can not complain about the roads. Had I been in your place, I would have definitely gone for route#1. Maharashtra, in fact India has a long way to go before I could blindly take my car to any of the unknown roads when I have a better option. The 2nd option looks like passes through villages and my experience tells me that roads could be a problem area there.
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 12:04   #5
BHPian

Hey Sumit came across the thread looking for Tungarli. Let me say the pics are wonderful especially the Tungarli panaroma. im planning to go this week. Ill be staying at the Lagoona and want to go for an early morning trek/drive to Tungari.Is the road good and are all parts of the lake reachable with the car since im with kids. Are there any boating options.
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 16:21   #6
BHPian

That temple in one of the photos is known as prati-pandharpur. Very beautiful temple with amazing acoustics in the mail hall.

Nice travelogue !
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 18:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Hey Sumit came across the thread looking for Tungarli. Let me say the pics are wonderful especially the Tungarli panaroma. im planning to go this week. Ill be staying at the Lagoona and want to go for an early morning trek/drive to Tungari.Is the road good and are all parts of the lake reachable with the car since im with kids. Are there any boating options.
Hii there ,

well one can go boating at the Lohagad boating club , the lake per say as far as i know is not really that accessible view there are several private properties and fencing , though i am not sure of the sector which is on the Tung fort sector.

One of the approach is on dudhiware khind road from Lonavla , this is potholed and needs cautious driving but definitely doable

regards
sumit
swsumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 19:57   #8
BHPian

Appreciate all the information will be restricting self to just Tungarli and maybe drive around the lake periphery. So actually was more keen to know how you reached the other side of the lake I.e opposite the dam side. Does a car go there.Will Probably pen down a few thoughts if I get something good.

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 1st September 2015 at 20:01. Reason: Add query
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 20:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Appreciate all the information will be restricting self to just Tungarli and maybe drive around the lake periphery. So actually was more keen to know how you reached the other side of the lake I.e opposite the dam side. Does a car go there.Will Probably pen down a few thoughts if I get something good.
Ohh so sorry ,

my mistake my previous reply was for Pawna , now i realized when i re read what you had asked .
For tungarli , one needs to park the vehicle next to dam and walk up , the road is quite well .. no issues just speed to be restricted .

For the view , yes one can walk along the shores of the lake and then climb up in order to get the panaromic view , should be no issues . I think even few camping trips are organised out there .

regards
Old 1st September 2015, 22:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
Ohh so sorry ,

my mistake my previous reply was for Pawna , now i realized when i re read what you had asked .

For tungarli , one needs to park the vehicle next to dam and walk up , the road is quite well .. no issues just speed to be restricted .

For the view , yes one can walk along the shores of the lake and then climb up in order to get the panaromic view , should be no issues . I think even few camping trips are organised out there .

regards

No worries Sumit im glad you re-read and replied. SInce youre saying car need to be parkd and then walk. So only walking around the lake is allowed, not driving. Im sorry but still confused. The place to be climed up for view is near the dam or the opposite side. I know too many questions but will appreciate a reply since im leaving tomorrow morning.
Old 1st September 2015, 22:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
No worries Sumit im glad you re-read and replied. SInce youre saying car need to be parkd and then walk. So only walking around the lake is allowed, not driving. Im sorry but still confused. The place to be climed up for view is near the dam or the opposite side. I know too many questions but will appreciate a reply since im leaving tomorrow morning.
yes you need to park the car next to the dam and then walk up towards the dam level . No driving around the perimeter of the dam and if u wish to click the entire dam with the lake , walk opposite to the dam along the shore and climb up
regards
Old 1st September 2015, 22:22   #12
BHPian

Ok well noted Sumit thanks again for all the information. Hope to get a few good clicks in the few early hours ill be there at the lake .
Old 5th September 2015, 18:57   #13
BHPian

Hey sumit I visited lonavala / Tungarli and wanted to thank you for your input which I have mentioned in my travelogue as well. 😊 Do read when you get the time

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...rand-soul.html

Most Viewed