Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2013, 14:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Swifted : Boulevard and Breakfast at Bangalore

Thanks laluks, for sharing the experience. Wonderful pics and I did not know MG road is this beautiful in the morning without traffic. Seven to Eight years back, MG road and Brigade road were part of my weekend evening stints. Since my office was in trinity circle, I use to spend my friday evenings over MG road and Brigade road mostly. Just walking around the big roads and sometimes pub hopping till late night. I am sure these roads were less crowded at least by 50% that time. Now I am not at all interested in going to that part of the city, unless there is some work.
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 15:03   #17
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Lalu - Thanks for the wonderful writeup on MG Road and surroundings, brings back a lot of good memories of the place. Very nice pictures and of course your inimitable writing style makes it a very interesting read
The Hard Rock cafe is now where HMV used to be, another landmark place that we've lost.
Though the Metro has spoilt the old world charm and beauty of the stretch, they've at least restored a part of the boulevard and the art/cultural centre is a good idea as well.
*Picture of "Unity building" is actually the Public Utility Building (Unity Building is near Town Hall).

Last edited by NPV : 28th October 2013 at 15:11.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 15:29   #18
BHPian

Thanks a Ton Lalu for your T'logue. These photographs have given a new dimension to MG Road what we had known all along. I definitely feel the Road has lost its charm. Broad road with tall buildings on one side was definitely a treat to watch but now with Metro blocking the view of half of the road and the buildings, we miss the Road. As usual, photographs are amazing!
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 17:18   #19
BHPian

Wow! Bangalore has developed a lot since I had last been there. Beautiful photography covering each and every detail there. Thanks for taking us on a short trip of this part of Bangalore Laluks.
Cheers
CF911
Car_Freak_911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 17:24   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Though I should agree that BMRCL did a good job with the available space, somehow still feel the old boulevard was better. Personally I feel they should have made the Trinity Circle - MG road junction part underground.

Laluks : Yes, barton center houses the restaurant "13th Floor"

Also, what time does Koshy's open ? I was thinking they don't open before 10 AM.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 19:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful, as always.

Lalu, you have an excellent skill - both in clicks & picks. Who would have thought the crowded MG road in this perspective!!!

Nice sugar bowl, and for sure - I miss those coffee.
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 19:36   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Lalu, you brought back some memories! Loitering about MG Road/Brigade Road used to be an essential part of my weekend morning routine back when I was living there as a happy singleton!

I hated it when the metro work commenced but last time I visited Bangalore (about 6 months ago) the stretch looked quite nice. Seems to have got better now. Happy to see Bangalore authorities taking pride in the city's appearance. It was always a beautiful city and one hopes will stay that way.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 20:31   #23
BHPian

Laluks
Appreciate the effort you have taken into bringing this piece to us. I dont have to appreciate your photography and writing skills, cos you must be tired of hearing them already! But I will still say, that you have brought back memories of my times in Bangalore, importantly, you have shown that Bangalore still has places to be visited, though a bit early in the day!!

I remember the fried fish and beef olathiyathu I had from Koshys during my last visit, presume they still have it in their menu.

Subs
subs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 21:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thanks Lalu for sharing this. Brought back some good memories of the City I lived for 2 years. Even with the metro, the stretch of road has some old world charm; maybe it’s the magic of your photos
Thanks vb-san.
Never knew you were in this part of the globe for some time. The old buildings - a few are there. How I wish we had a Bangalore like those European down towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Sir, that was brilliant. Thank you for bringing a totally new side of Bangalore.

Bangalore indeed is a beautiful city and i just loved the 3 months I spent there back in 2006.

Regards
diesel
Thanks diesel. The Bangalore of the 90's, when I saw it first still lingers in my memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
As always, really excellent pictures of downtown Bangalore ! I take my daughter for a 'daughters day out' to the boulevard once in a while and that includes a trip on the Metro, lunch at Coffee House and ends with a visit to Cubbon Park ! Thanks for sharing !
Wow, that would be something your daughter would be looking forward to. I must take some time and visit Cubbon park and Vidhana Soudha areas too. There also the metro work is on, hopefully the place is peaceful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Thanks laluks, for sharing the experience. Wonderful pics and I did not know MG road is this beautiful in the morning without traffic. Seven to Eight years back, MG road and Brigade road were part of my weekend evening stints. Since my office was in trinity circle, I use to spend my friday evenings over MG road and Brigade road mostly. Just walking around the big roads and sometimes pub hopping till late night. I am sure these roads were less crowded at least by 50% that time. Now I am not at all interested in going to that part of the city, unless there is some work.
I took a gamble to be at MG Road before the traffic piles up. It turned out to be a beautiful visit!

I completely agree with you, I tend to avoid driving anywhere in Bangalore due to the horrible traffic. It is not that we lack in infrastructure, the road discipline is completely absent and me first attitude kills your patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Lalu - Thanks for the wonderful writeup on MG Road and surroundings, brings back a lot of good memories of the place. Very nice pictures and of course your inimitable writing style makes it a very interesting read
The Hard Rock cafe is now where HMV used to be, another landmark place that we've lost.
Though the Metro has spoilt the old world charm and beauty of the stretch, they've at least restored a part of the boulevard and the art/cultural centre is a good idea as well.
*Picture of "Unity building" is actually the Public Utility Building (Unity Building is near Town Hall).
Thanks NPV.
I am not good at the names, as its been a long time. You know what, I don't half know the names of the streets in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Thanks a Ton Lalu for your T'logue. These photographs have given a new dimension to MG Road what we had known all along. I definitely feel the Road has lost its charm. Broad road with tall buildings on one side was definitely a treat to watch but now with Metro blocking the view of half of the road and the buildings, we miss the Road. As usual, photographs are amazing!
Metro indeed has taken away the beauty of MG Road, but I guess t hat's the price to pay for growing big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car_Freak_911 View Post
Wow! Bangalore has developed a lot since I had last been there. Beautiful photography covering each and every detail there. Thanks for taking us on a short trip of this part of Bangalore Laluks.
Cheers
CF911
Thanks Car_Freak. Glad to see that I could take you down your memory lane a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Though I should agree that BMRCL did a good job with the available space, somehow still feel the old boulevard was better. Personally I feel they should have made the Trinity Circle - MG road junction part underground.

Laluks : Yes, barton center houses the restaurant "13th Floor"

Also, what time does Koshy's open ? I was thinking they don't open before 10 AM.
I agree. the underground would have been quite nice.
13th Floor, yes I remember now.
Koshy's opens at 09:00AM. There indeed will be a queue of regulars to enter the restaurant by 09:00. Getting a seat after that will take a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Beautiful, as always.

Lalu, you have an excellent skill - both in clicks & picks. Who would have thought the crowded MG road in this perspective!!!

Nice sugar bowl, and for sure - I miss those coffee.
Glad to note you liked the perspective. We are waiting for a log from your wonderful country soon. Hope its coming soon. You sure might be missing the coffee, but I sure am missing the Wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Lalu, you brought back some memories! Loitering about MG Road/Brigade Road used to be an essential part of my weekend morning routine back when I was living there as a happy singleton!

I hated it when the metro work commenced but last time I visited Bangalore (about 6 months ago) the stretch looked quite nice. Seems to have got better now. Happy to see Bangalore authorities taking pride in the city's appearance. It was always a beautiful city and one hopes will stay that way.
Yes noopster. I too wish the same that the beauty of Bangalore stays for a long time to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subs View Post
Laluks
Appreciate the effort you have taken into bringing this piece to us. I dont have to appreciate your photography and writing skills, cos you must be tired of hearing them already! But I will still say, that you have brought back memories of my times in Bangalore, importantly, you have shown that Bangalore still has places to be visited, though a bit early in the day!!

I remember the fried fish and beef olathiyathu I had from Koshys during my last visit, presume they still have it in their menu.

Subs
Thanks subs. I am happy that we can still enjoy some of Bangalore's beauty though early in the day.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 23:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Its been over 15 years since I took out some time to walk down the once charming MG Road of Bangalore.
Last month me too visited MG after a gap of around 13 years. Nice thread on a road which was a compulsary weekend routine for many in the 80s and 90s, including me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Personally I feel they should have made the Trinity Circle - MG road junction part underground.
+1.
Eventhough they have tried to bring back the old charm by setting up a new boulevard, the monstrous metro bridge completely dwarfs everything else.

Last edited by Daewood : 28th October 2013 at 23:17.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 01:22   #26
BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful updates on MG Road. As someone who lived there in the late 80s, it's of course, unrecognisable, except for a few landmarks. The last time I visited was in '98, and at that time it was still recognisable.

I do not know when I'll be back there again. My friends although inviting me to visit, warns me that I'll absolutely dislike the place. Your photographs seems to prove their point with the current version of the MG Road which, sadly seems to be in a much diminished state of dignity, being unidentifiably reduced to just another busy thoroughfare.

Great city planners are succesful in keeping nostalgia alive. Wish we had such planners for our cities.

Thanks again for this thread on a very personal piece of real estate from my past.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 02:08   #27
BHPian

Brilliant write up, just like you even i have been trying to avoid travelling to or through M.G.road, after reading this nicely written article i am getting inspired to do an early weekend breakfast at airlines hotel.

Quote:
I think some one drove me here for a dinner many years ago. Is there any restaurant up there?
Attachment 1158520
The restaurant you are referring to is called 13'th floor,and if i am not wrong it's still operational.
Visran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 08:43   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks vb-san.
Never knew you were in this part of the globe for some time. The old buildings - a few are there. How I wish we had a Bangalore like those European down towns.
My work life started in Bangalore, and I lived there for two and a half years (from May 1998 to Nov 2000), before moving to SE Asia
Used to walk down the whole stretch of M.G. Road atleast 2-3 times a week, and at times continue to walk whole the way to Cambridge Layout where I was staying then.

Infact Bangalore looked like a different city when I last visited in 2009. In general we are good at talking heritage, but very hesitant to preserve it.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 09:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thank You laluks for sharing these wonderful pictures. Brings back the memories of the many yummy breakfasts I have had at MG Road on Sunday mornings with friends.

I recall a small rustic place which used serve good breakfast. Lakeview I guess. Is it there nowadays?

PS: Great work on the watermark. Appreciate the subtleness.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 13:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visran View Post
Brilliant write up, just like you even i have been trying to avoid travelling to or through M.G.road, after reading this nicely written article i am getting inspired to do an early weekend breakfast at airlines hotel.

The restaurant you are referring to is called 13'th floor,and if i am not wrong it's still operational.
Thanks Visran.
Where is this airlines hotel? Probably I might gather enough courage to do a drive once more

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Infact Bangalore looked like a different city when I last visited in 2009. In general we are good at talking heritage, but very hesitant to preserve it.
Very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Thank You laluks for sharing these wonderful pictures. Brings back the memories of the many yummy breakfasts I have had at MG Road on Sunday mornings with friends.

I recall a small rustic place which used serve good breakfast. Lakeview I guess. Is it there nowadays?

PS: Great work on the watermark. Appreciate the subtleness.
Thanks deetjohn.
I have no clue about Lakeview, probably the MG Road regulars can clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Thanks for the wonderful updates on MG Road. As someone who lived there in the late 80s, it's of course, unrecognisable, except for a few landmarks. The last time I visited was in '98, and at that time it was still recognisable.

I do not know when I'll be back there again. My friends although inviting me to visit, warns me that I'll absolutely dislike the place. Your photographs seems to prove their point with the current version of the MG Road which, sadly seems to be in a much diminished state of dignity, being unidentifiably reduced to just another busy thoroughfare.

Great city planners are succesful in keeping nostalgia alive. Wish we had such planners for our cities.

Thanks again for this thread on a very personal piece of real estate from my past.
Thanks VLOCT. Indeed I too wish we had some great town planners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Last month me too visited MG after a gap of around 13 years. Nice thread on a road which was a compulsary weekend routine for many in the 80s and 90s, including me.

Eventhough they have tried to bring back the old charm by setting up a new boulevard, the monstrous metro bridge completely dwarfs everything else.
Thanks Daewood. Indeed the metro bridge dwarfs everything!

Last edited by laluks : 29th October 2013 at 13:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks