Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2013, 17:55   #46
BHPian

Re: Swifted : Boulevard and Breakfast at Bangalore

Laluks , awesome write up and a real eyeopener, I work on MG road and have never been on the route taken by you on the boulevard. Will surely do it thanks a ton.

Bangalore over the years was very informative. Bangalore was the first city in Asia to get electricity.

In college days used to hop off from the double decker bus at St Joseph's college stop, the bus route no was 138 which goes to Jeevanbhimanagar from Majestic and visit some pub, then eat parata at Kohinoors on Brigade road, watch a movie at rex or plaza or blue diamond.
majumon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 19:38   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
The one on Residency road you are refering to was "Galaxy", which has been demolished and a new luxury mall coming in its place.
If I recollect there was another one called "Imperial" on Residency Road, opposite the famed Imperial restaurant.

Do let me know if I am right here, as I had seen this structure in 1998 when I moved to Bangalore, this was later converted to some Hongkong or Thailand Bazar.
Hurrycane12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 20:09   #48
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
If I recollect there was another one called "Imperial" on Residency Road, opposite the famed Imperial restaurant.

Do let me know if I am right here, as I had seen this structure in 1998 when I moved to Bangalore, this was later converted to some Hongkong or Thailand Bazar.
I think this gave way to a building by Tata Housing and now houses the Citrix office, probably others as well. This is right next to Nagpal's Bharat Petroleum bunk.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 20:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

Are you referring to 13th Floor in Barton Center? Used to be a regular here. Not anymore. It is a great view from up there.

They have done a really good job of MG Road metro station. I won't say the same about the stations on the rest of the route.

Started my career days in Bangalore. MG Road was once a regular hang out. The day paycheck arrived, 50% of it ended up being spent at the one and only metal heads joint, Styx.

There was no other place to go to back in 2002. After a busy week at work, it was straight to MG Road every Friday evening. Tavern, Pico's, Styx, Guzzlers, 13th Floor, Legends of Rock (some years down the line) were my all time favorite hang outs. Some of these joints were bang on MG Road and some of them in the vicinity. There was no better location to hang out and it worked well for everybody.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 20:56   #50
BHPian

Laluks,
I have driven on present MG road many times. Never thought we had such a good walk way. Thanks for detailed photos.

Mid 90's Me & my friends used to go to lake view MG road for deserts in TATAmobile. IT used to serve beyond 11.30 pm.
narendra.vw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 11:00   #51
BHPian

Thanks Lalu Sir, for making MG Road a pleasant surprise.

MG Road was and is a regular route ( only Walking) which we used to take on some weekends.

Hope you remember the old Indian Coffee House in MG road, which now have been moved to the Church Street.

Thanks
TheHkrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 12:13   #52
BHPian

Nothing beats a perfect morning spent at the MG area. Greenery, good food, good coffee and loads of pictures, perfect Sunday I would say.. Thanks for sharing.
Sleeplessdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 13:12   #53
BHPian

Nice to read and some great photographs. Reminds me of what I miss out staying in the suburbs.
vgsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 18:48   #54
Senior - BHPian

Ultimate pics . Thanks for sharing. It brought back some of my old memories. If anyone visited our home in 80s and early 90s, MG road was the place where we used to take them to. This was followed by visits to Vidhana Souda, High Court and Cubbon park.

Never visited this new boulevard. Will try to visit next week since the Bangalore roads will be completely free. More than 50% of the (IT) population have headed back to respective hometowns on account of festivals and this will be the ideal time to roam around in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
In college days used to hop off from the double decker bus at St Joseph's college stop, the bus route no was 138 which goes to Jeevanbhimanagar from Majestic.
Ah! Double Deckers. There were two routes operated by then BTS i.e. 131 and 132. 131 between Majestic and Doopanahalli whereras 132 between Shivajinagar and Doopanahalli. As a kid, I loved sitting on the front seats on the top. Most of the Sundays, we used to head to Majestic from our home at Vijayanagar, catch 131, get down at Doopanahalli, catch 132, get down at MG road, walk to Cubbon park, enjoy a ride in Putani express and then head back to home at Vijayanagar. It used to take maximum half day to perform all these activities. I guess they introduced double deckers in the route 138 at a later point of time. There was one more double decker operated in Gandhi Bazaar route but it was cancelled after it toppled in one of the circles.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 19:01   #55
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You missed something, Amp! I was fortunate to have my first stint in Bangalore at the early part of my career during the late 90s. Pre IT megaboom, you could get from one end of town to another in half an hour, plus I was staying with my sis at their beautiful apartment in Coxtown. A friend and classmate worked at Andersen and we would do Victoria long breakfast at least once a month, not to mention spending evenings at Oberoi Grand or Taj Residency, feeling like bosses! When I went back to Bangalore after a few years something had changed; the magic was gone. It feels good that some things still stay the same!

In the 90's Bangalore still had its charm. Not like now.
The magic has indeed well and truly gone.
The giant wheel spins on, the people pass it by, hurrying and scurrying about their business, the cars and vehicles toot their horns incessantly, life is very busy and there is no place for nostalgia any more.
The dear old city and its kinder, gentler ways, simply fades into the sunset and it will never be the same again.
I lament its passing.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 09:24   #56
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

"Rediscover Old Bangalore at Rangoli Metro Art Centre" - A chance to see some old photographs of Bangalore (exhibition at the Metro Rangoli Art centre on M G Road).
Quote:
As part of Rajyotsava celebrations, BMRCL has tied up with a Facebook group 'Bangalore:Photos from a Bygone Era', and put up an exhibition of old photographs of the city.
The group has a collection of about 1, 500 photos of Bangalore, believed to be the largest collection.
Source:New Indian Express - Link

Last edited by NPV : 5th November 2013 at 09:25.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 11:05   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
There was no other place to go to back in 2002. After a busy week at work, it was straight to MG Road every Friday evening. Tavern, Pico's, Styx, Guzzlers, 13th Floor, Legends of Rock (some years down the line) were my all time favorite hang outs. Some of these joints were bang on MG Road and some of them in the vicinity. There was no better location to hang out and it worked well for everybody.
Church Street used to have a music shop called Habitat. Dont know if its still there. But that was the only place, where you could get all heavy metal/classic rock CDs. They would be never available to Music World or any of there big chains. Remember buying all my Rush, Tull, Led Zep and Yes CDs from that shop.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 09:41   #58
BHPian

Laluks! The photos do all the talking! Great snaps!
I'm a Mumbaikar and our Mumbai Metro One Project is coming up! The boulevard along the metro there in Bangalore looks really well maintained and interesting, unlike ours! No offenses, but the project is about to open for public in coming months and I don't see such recreational stuff around!

Was there in Bangalore a couple of years back and I must say it is a well planned city with good infrastructure!
nishantdlv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 12:44   #59
BHPian

This is an awesome compilation of snaps laluks. Ever since the Boulevard was razed down & the concrete structure came up, I hated passing by that road. The serenity of the good old MG Road has long gone but your pictures do add a whole new perspective to the way native Bangaloreans like me still view MG Road. Thanks for sharing.
Auto Verruckt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 20:32   #60
BHPian

Nice write-up and awesome pics, laluks. This is a face of MG Road many of us Bangaloreans haven't seen. For us, MG Road means a just long parking space!.
Had always been curious about the beautifications near the Metro station but couldn't find the time to see it in detail. Thanks for sharing!
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks