Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2006, 15:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Weekend Travelogue: Hogenakkal Falls, TN

Hogenakkal Falls – 25 June, 2006

Bangalore – Hosur – Krishnagiri – Dharmapuri – Pennagaram – Hogenakkal – Bangalore

Members: Me and wife, Sukanta in AltoLXi

This was my 3rd trip to Hogenakkal Falls after the previous bike trips in Nov2004 and Sept2005 but maiden one on car. It was a sudden decision taken on Saturday to go to Hogenakkal Falls on Sunday. Sukanta joined us and other group members were too busy to make it.

Sunday, 25th June: We get up early at 4:30AM. Pack up the necessary stuffs, medical kit, extra clothes for bathing, food etc, take a nice warm bath and start at 5:45AM. Weather was cold as usual like Bangalore and we head straight to Cox Town where Sukanta would be waiting at CoxTown Circle. We pick him up and take the brigade road and then to Hosur road. The road was deserted and it’s always enjoying to drive in city in early mornings. Within 30min of driving we were in Shell outlet in Bommanahalli for tank full. We spent another 30min there, filling petrol, checking tire pressures of all 5 tyres, also bought a mineral water bottle from the shell retail shop.

We left petrol station at about 6:55AM and back to NH7. Traffic was ok but we kept 70-80kmph till Electronic City and close to 100kmph till Hosur. Traffic eased out after Hosur and the speed increased when we kept 100-120kmph throughout till the breakfast break in Krishnagiri. Weather played a great role in this trip. Even in TN there was no sun and the drive was more pleasant. We didn’t put on the AC till Dharmapuri.
We had our breakfast break in Hotel Uthyaiah at around 7:45AM where we regularly halt for food. Had delicious masala dosas and hot tea.

We started our journey at 8:30AM and headed towards Krishnagiri. At Krishnagiri we left the GQ stretch and headed to Dharmapuri along NH7. It was amazing to see that the stretch from Dharmapuri to Krishnagiri has improved a lot. Lots of patchwork has been done on the graveyard potholes which we encountered in my last trips both by car and bike. Also in 2-3 places reconnaissance work is underway by NHAI engineers means soon we might see that turning into a beautiful 4 laned highway as part of the NS Corridor. Anyway this time in mango season saw lots of mango walas on road side selling mangoes next to the mango garden. Maan, we stopped by to check it. It was damn sweet mangoes again and that too Rs10 / kg. We bought 7kg of mangoes and dumped in the boot.

Mangoes

At Dharmapuri junction, we take a right turn for Hogenakkal (arrow marked). This road was under construction when we visited Hogenakkal last time in Sept2005 but this time it is smooth and also broader. We drove 40km in 35min via Pennagaram (Veerappan’s wife stood for TN election from here) and before entering the jungle paid the toll (Rs40 for car which I felt was very high). One funny thing that I noticed for the first time was that in the second gate and policeman took note of car number and took Rs10 don’t know for what. He gave an explanation in Tamil which we couldn’t understand. Finally we reached the falls in another 15min through the jungle and ghat road.

At Hogennakal, the Cauvery River enters the plains and the river dashing against the rocks is a great sight. Hogenakkal is a riverside spa. The sound of the Cauvery, roaring between rocky banks, is a constant presence in most places in Hogenakkal. The Hogenakkal Falls is not a single waterfall but a series of falls. The mighty river Cauvery flows through a relatively plain land before mother earth suddenly opens up and the whole river falls to a depth of between 50 to 150 feet on a bed of granite rocks. There are so many waterfalls, both big and small, all over the place. The whole spectacle is spread over a kilometer or so. The fine spray that rises as the water hits the rocks below have given these rocks the name Hogenakkal, which means "Smoking Rock" in Kannada. On one side is the gushing, roaring waterfalls spread over as far as your eyes go, and on the other side, there is relatively calm water flowing through a narrow but steep gorge. People cross the current-rippled waters in circular basket boats called coracles. To reach the falls you have to take the coracle (there is no land access). We didn’t take that instead enjoyed the mist and the beauty. I am also told that the shooting of many tamil films takes place here and I also think that some song sequence in Roja took place here too.

Some Pics @Falls

After some photoshoot, it was bathing time so we all plunged into the flowing water and spent a nice 2 hours inside it. At 2:30PM, came out of water, took a coracle to our bank. On the way to the parking, my wife and Sukanta ordered some fish fry and I got myself a nice masala omlette. Sukanta also prepared some nice sandwich which we decided to have it while return.

Bath @ Hogenakkal

We started the return journey at around 3:45PM. Weather was very pleasant; it was also drizzling inside the jungle. We stopped by at about 10km before Dharmapuri had our sandwiched and potato chips and drank lots of water. There was no stop after that and we zoomed the Bommanahalli junction by 6:30PM. We did a nice 140km in 1hr 40min. It took us another 1 hour to reach home after dropping Sukanta because of the heavy traffic in Bangalore.

Ghat Road

Overall it was a Nice trip!! Even nice weather!!

Total Trip distance 380km.

Signing Off
Abhijit Kumar Roy
akroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2006, 16:09   #2

Nice one abhi... wonder why you dont send us the pics when you mail us the same
Old 26th June 2006, 16:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Abhijit,

You're probably the best intreprid traveler on Team-BHP - Great work! I never have enough mental energy over the weekend to do anywhere close to the type of traveling you do

Last edited by theMAG : 26th June 2006 at 16:34.
Old 26th June 2006, 16:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice write-up Abhi and cool pictures too. I hope you have enjoyed the trip.
Is this place worth to stay for a night! any other activities available here!

Last edited by Ketan : 26th June 2006 at 16:34.
Old 26th June 2006, 16:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan
Nice write-up Abhi and cool pictures too. I hope you have enjoyed the trip.
Is this place worth to stay for a night! any other activity available here!
Ketan, I never stayed here and also dont feel it is worthy in the night. Although you do have Hotel Tamil nadu there.
Other activities include Coracle ride which will take u to the various falls and the famous tel malish (which i did in my last visit)...Veerappan enjoyed the oil massage here in here...

Finally the eating activity...FISH FRY...

Abhi
Old 26th June 2006, 16:38   #6
BHPian

Maaaaaaaaan u on a travelling spree or wot?... nice write-up as usual Abhi.
Old 26th June 2006, 16:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Abhi, you your wife and your Alot live to the Alto ad....Lets go.....
Old 27th June 2006, 08:17   #8
BHPian

Hi Abhi,

That was a very good travelogue and nice to see that you enjoyed the drive and the river.

a few months back we thought of going to the same place. But since we started of at 11.00 am and heard from the friend about the roads were bad so we skipped the drive. And anyway it was already 11.

After reading your experience, I will surely go to the place with my family, hopefully in this week.

cheers
Old 27th June 2006, 09:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice one Abhi. I have heard abt thsi place and the photos have added more color to your writeup.

Wher to next
Old 27th June 2006, 12:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Abhi, you your wife and your Alot live to the Alto ad....Lets go.....

Very true...So where are u goin this weekend bro ?
Old 30th August 2006, 23:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey thanks for sharing!! Great writeup!

heard about this place from my dad a few times... looks great especially since the roads are more or less decent throughout!! Might do it this weekend if everything goes well

Last edited by s0uljah : 30th August 2006 at 23:29.
Old 31st August 2006, 14:52   #12
BHPian

Good write-up & some nice pictures there as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
Might do it this weekend if everything goes well
@s0uljah: I am also planning to go there this weekend... PM me may be both the groups can sync up if you are interested
Old 31st August 2006, 15:00   #13
BHPian

I am inspired, too. Thanks Abhijit.
Old 31st August 2006, 15:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Oh God...!!!! How many such places are there around Bangalore????
Plus u got the amazing climate to go with it...

Here up north u need to travel some 300+ kms to catch up some scenic places
Old 31st August 2006, 19:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_rider
@s0uljah: I am also planning to go there this weekend... PM me may be both the groups can sync up if you are interested
Interested, but doesnt look like this will happen as my friend whats to leave his gaadi for service. PM your number anyway, will call you if the plan materializes!!!

Most Viewed